Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Question What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

I will start a list of not so normal items to pack for use at WDW.

We bring a McDonalds takeout cardboard 4 cup holder. We bring plastic Disney cups in 4 different patterns, whcih fit into the McDonalds 4 cup holder. What we use it for is a tooth brush holder. Everyone gets a cup assigned to them, to place their toothbrush in. The toothbrushes are organized and do not touch the counter.

We also bring a power bar with at least 8 outlets in it. We use the power bar to plug in our 4 cell phones, camera batteries, ipods, and anything else which needs charging. It helps when there are only 2 or 3 plus available to charge things at night.

We bring ziplock bags in quart and gallon sizes. We use them to store any food we bring back to the room (no bugs please) and our cell phones & camera's when it rains.

What do you bring and use at WDW which are not normal items like a brush, clothes, extra sneakers ?

Last edited by pooh2001; 05-10-2010 at 04:32 PM.
pooh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
stinkerbelle's mom
Achooo!
Good thing that the necessities are attached or they would have been lost long ago
I do have to pretend to work some more

Thanks for reminding me about the power cord! Good idea about the McDonald's thing, but we use the toothbrush covers.

We bring the over the door shoe racks with pockets. Keeps everything neat and organized in the room.

Find ourselves packing extra quarters and pennies for laundry and penny presses. Apparently we only do laundry while at Disney lol. This year we're gonna try the Purex all in one sheets.

stinkerbelle's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...

Large plastic cups w/cover so I can bring wine down to the pool without paying large bar bills...

Moleskin for the handling of hubbie's predicted blisters.

Pool noodles because yes I am too cheap to pay double the price at the resorts that sell them.

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Shih-Tzu
Mouseketeer

Location: Lincoln, New Brunswick - 1752.41 miles NE of the CBR; 1751.27 miles NE of POFQ; 1760 miles NE of OKW; 3415 miles NE of DLR Anahiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerbelle's mom View Post
This year we're gonna try the Purex all in one sheets.
I took some of these last year after reading about them on the DIS boards - the only problem was they weren't in Canada yet, so I literally drove to the States one weekend to get some to pack....I just put 4 into a zip lock bag and they were marvelous (plus, when we arrived at CBR, all our clothes came out of the suitcase smell marvellous!!!)

Something I take that I normally don't take when I travel anywhere else is Crystal Lite in the little individual serving tubes - if I don't like the taste of the water...I use one of those and if you take them out of the box, they take VERY little room when travelling.

The pool noodles look like a great idea, but I can't see me trying to get down the aisle of a couple of airplanes with them and during our plane change at JFK I'm sure there would be a couple of people staring at us in December

I always have zip lock bags with me - and I make sure I have a couple of the big ones so if there's time to swim on the day we leave, I can put the bathing suit in it without getting everything else wet.....

And I pack a sewing needle...and if we run into a "problem" I use dental floss (we take the clear kind) as thread because it goes with anything and it is probably stronger than any type of thread you can probably buy....

I'll probably think of something else at about 2:00am (but I'm not going to get out of bed to post it ...but if I remember in the morning....I will)
Feb 2012 - OKW
Nov 2013 - Good Neighbour in Anaheim

Shih-Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Shih-Tzu
Mouseketeer

Location: Lincoln, New Brunswick - 1752.41 miles NE of the CBR; 1751.27 miles NE of POFQ; 1760 miles NE of OKW; 3415 miles NE of DLR Anahiem

After reading my post, I noticed that I used the word "probably" a lot - sorry about that...that's what happens when you read, type and watch Doc with Billy Ray Cyrus all at the same time. I'll do better my next post.
Feb 2012 - OKW

Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
baileysp
Earning My Ears

good tip on the crystal lite.
baileysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shih-Tzu View Post
The pool noodles look like a great idea, but I can't see me trying to get down the aisle of a couple of airplanes with them and during our plane change at JFK I'm sure there would be a couple of people staring at us in December -
Silly...they easily bend and are very light....just curl them up in your checked luggage!!

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

I get a lot of mockery for always having shout wipes in my theme park backpack, but how QUICKLY the tune changes when one has a ketchup incident!
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Shih-Tzu
Mouseketeer

Ahhhh, Shout wipes! Fantastic idea. I used to always carry a Tide pen in my purse, but there were a couple of white things that it turned "yellow" where I used it.....thanks for the suggestion!

Reference the pool noodle...the ones that I have must be a different size than you have - (mine are about 5 feet long and about 5 inches around and quite stiff foam so I never imagined they would fit in a suitcase) ...but we actually pack pretty light and have managed to travel with suitcases that can be used as carry on although we've always checked them - but yes, they might fit into a bigger suitcase - and now that you suggest that, I'm going to dig out the 26" suitcase and see if I can get them in there and how much room I'd have left....I was just having this picture of us dragging this neon green and pink things through an airport where there was snow on the ground outside....must cut down on the coffee

Another suggestion is postage stamps so you don't have to chase everywhere to find some to mail post cards back home - of course that doesn't work for me because I can't buy US stamps here, but I remember trying to find a place that sold some when I was there.....I thought I'd have some fun this year and mail all my Christmas cards from Disney...
Feb 2012 - OKW

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
DVCmom1960
Earning My Ears

Brita water pitcher, and a video case with our favorite dvd's. Oh and laptop. PS I looove my owners locker
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

I take a stack of lids from take-out drinks. If you turn it upside down and insert a popsicle or mickey bar through the straw x-cut, then the lid will catch any drips!
cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
WelovMickey!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaura View Post
I take a stack of lids from take-out drinks. If you turn it upside down and insert a popsicle or mickey bar through the straw x-cut, then the lid will catch any drips!
One of the best tips I have read in a long time!!
WelovMickey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
LisaCat
Counting too many days till my next trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaura View Post
AWESOME tip! For anyone collecting the smashed pennies, the Mentos Gum containers are just the right size to put them in. You can get a LOT of them in a container and you can peel the labels off and glue on a piece of paper with each child's name on it if you have more than one kiddo collecting them. Also keeps Mom or Dad from having a bunch of loose, smashed pennies in their purse/pocket/pack at the end of the day and small collectors arguing over whose are whose!

And on the Crystal Lite packets tip.... they make some that are labeled "Hydration" that will help replace the electrolytes you lose sweating in that toasty FL sunshine! Pedialyte also now makes a powdered mix packet.

LisaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
Reto
Baloo's Best Buddy:-)

One of those thick, black sharpies for the character autographs. Most regular-sized pens are just too small for the fur characters to hold properly.
11/2012: 4 Nights Lion King Suite @ Art of Animation & 5 Nights Wilderness Lodge & 7 Nights Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise
05/2013: 4th WDW Visit - 7 Nights Saratogs Springs 2-Bedroom Villa
Reto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Wink Great idea's ! Thank you !

Stickerbells Mom - thank you for your idea, love it ... over the door shoe racks with pockets.

cglaura - thank you also for the way not to get drips from ice cream pops - stack of lids from take-out drinks.

delaneyc52 - Pool noodles -> can you use them at resort pools ? I did not know pool toys are allowed in resort pools

Shih-Tzu - Crystal Lite in the little individual serving tubes - wow a great way tpo make water taste better

evilqueenmindy - With my DD always seeming to get tomatoe sauce on her white shirts, your idea of shout wipes are wonderful !

DVCmom1960 - thank you for the media (laptop, DVD's) idea

Reto - thick, black sharpies, I will start to look for them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: