Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #121
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

To what extent do you think a person's flaws, such as racist attitudes and behaviors, can be forgiven because it is the norm in the surrounding culture?

This is a great and thought provoking question! If you are in an environment where you know nothing else, it's difficult to live your life otherwise. But, if a person is witnessing a change (i.e. events like the race riots of the '60's or the preachings of MLK...) and in your heart you know you need to take stand but don't...choosing to stand idly by while injustice flourishes around you...that would be hard to "forgive". We just had a tragic event here in the New York area, where a mortally wounded homeless person lay dying on the sidewalk. Rather than come to this man's aid, people stopped, stared and walked on by. Why? Because he was judged by others for being homeless. Inhumane at best and unforgiveable, in my eyes. There are times in world history when this same situation could have occurred if a Jewish man or a black man lay there. Again, completely unforgiveable.
Hankshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #122
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hanksmouse, you have some great ideas here in your post. I saw that news story this morning while eating breakfast and was just shocked. I couldn't get over the fact that this poor man lay dying on the sidewalk and people just stepped around him. I am not sure if this took place because they were ignorant/afraid or if it was because he was homeless. Either way, this is such a sad, sad expression of inhumane thinking.

I finished the book yesterday myself, but will keep to the deadlines for our discussions. I really like the above topic and want to give everyone a chance to comment on it before moving forward. You all have awesome ideas! Keep them coming!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #123
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

Oh no!! I hope I haven't become a dreaded...threadkiller

Please, say it ain't so
Hankshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #124
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Still here!

Why, in the same paragraph, does Aibileene call Elizabeth's daughter Baby Girl and Mae Mobley?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #125
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Still here!

Why, in the same paragraph, does Aibileene call Elizabeth's daughter Baby Girl and Mae Mobley?
Baby Girl is a term of endearment. It would be no different than if a person said to their daughter "Susie, come here honey." Susie is the child's name, but honey is a term of endearment.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #126
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

In life, we meet many people. Sometimes you think you know a person only to find out that they are actually much different than you'd ever expect. Miss Celia, surprisingly enough, has become one of them. We've read pages upon pages describing her as this weak, pitiful thing of a woman, only to find out there's so much more to her past. On page 309, we actually see Miss Celia take things into her own hands when defending Minny from the drunkard who threatens their safety.

Minny also surprised me. Beneath that strong, heavy persona, we see her vulnerable side:

"[People] don't know what a pathetic mess I turn into when Leroy's beating on me. I'm afraid to hit back. I'm afraid he'll leave me if I do. I know it makes no sense and I get so mad at myself for being so weak! How can I love a man who beats me raw? Why do I love a fool drinker?" (413)

This particular passage really hit home for me. Although I've never been in a physically abusive relationship, I have found myself asking similar questions as Minny did. Similarly, time and time again we hear a story of a girl (or woman) staying with a man who treats her poorly. But why? Why do women (and men) crave the love and attention from people who hurt them --- either physically or emotionally? Does this mean that they are weak? Do you think it affects how they present themselves to the world? In Minny's case, she had a very strong personality outside of Leroy's wrath. Did her suffering at home change how she acted in the neighborhood?

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 05-02-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #127
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Still reading... will probably be done this weekend... can't wait to read and join in the discussion!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #128
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Great, Michelle! We look forward to seeing you!

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #129
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJ View Post
Baby Girl is a term of endearment. It would be no different than if a person said to their daughter "Susie, come here honey." Susie is the child's name, but honey is a term of endearment.
Thanks. That totally didn't connect for me.

There was a pop song a few years back where the singer about to or about his "baby girl" who I assume was his girlfriend. I bothered me to no end to hear a woman called "baby girl", just seemed demeaning.

Makes some sense to call a three year old "baby girl".

Last edited by mainegal; 05-02-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #130
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

But why? Why do women (and men) crave the love and attention from people who hurt them --- either physically or emotionally? Does this mean that they are weak? Do you think it affects how they present themselves to the world? In Minny's case, she had a very strong personality outside of Leroy's wrath. Did her suffering at home change how she acted in the neighborhood?
Thanks, Nikki, for asking such though provoking questions.

I must be leading either a charmed or protected life. I have never personally known anyone in an abusive domestic relationship. I was exposed to many such relationships during the year that I was on grand jury. I do wonder why people stay in a relationship that is abusive. I guess I do see the individual (usually a woman) as lacking a good sense of self and being overly dependant on their partner.

If I had my way, I'd teach women to be self-supporting as much as possible, to know that they have a world of possiblities, to realize they are with their partner by choice not for economic reasons.

As is my habit, about halfway through a book I read the last few pages, then read skip and scan. I guess I get impatient. Now I am reading page by page in proper order. I am amazed by the fullness of character and story. what a great first novel! Can't wait to get back reading it tonight.

I have ordered the audiobook for the library. I have heard that the three women narrating are fantastic.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #131
AnneR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But why? Why do women (and men) crave the love and attention from people who hurt them --- either physically or emotionally? Does this mean that they are weak? Do you think it affects how they present themselves to the world? In Minny's case, she had a very strong personality outside of Leroy's wrath. Did her suffering at home change how she acted in the neighborhood?
Excellent question - if we really knew the answer we could probably solve most cases of abuse. Abuse is a very complicated issue that has both physical and psychological factors. I think we can all relate to being in a relationship and staying in it because we were not ready to move to the next thing whether it was a new relationship or being single. Sometimes what we know is better than what we don't know. When our self confidence is low, we will stay with what we know.

I think the other factors that influenced Minny were the societal factors of the day - while divorce was legal, it was looked at as a failure. I think that Minny did not want to see herself as failing in this part of her life. She certainly struggled with her self-confidence regarding maintaining her employment. Additionally, it is clear that she was taught to keep her mouth shut and do her work. I have the sense that these women expected their life to be hard.

I will hold the rest until we have all finished the book.

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #132
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Finished the book about 6 AM this morning... yes.. I stayed up all night...

Will be back to read later... must get some sleep.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #133
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneR View Post

I think the other factors that influenced Minny were the societal factors of the day - while divorce was legal, it was looked at as a failure. I think that Minny did not want to see herself as failing in this part of her life.
I have been divorced 18 years. I still feel a sense of "failure". It was a part of my life that certainly did not work out the way I wanted it to.

Minny told Miss Celia she fell in the bathtub rather than confirn Celia's suspicion. Last night I read the part where Minny took off the bandage and ice pack as she walked down the street. So proud, she did not want her neighbors know that Leroy beat her. I am so glad that Minny could be herself with her friend Aibileen.

Damn! Why must women think it is "their fault"?!?!!

From where I peeked at the end, I know that Minny did finally have "enough". I am so glad!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #134
AnneR
DIS Veteran

I know what you mean about the personal sense of failure as your marriage falls apart. I know for me that I at least don't feel judged by my peers. I am glad that I live in a time that accepts that relationships end and that "society" is not blaming one party or the other.

Having finished the book Lyn, you will like how the story ends.

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #135
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran

I just found this thread this morning! I wish I'd seen it earlier, because I just finished reading The Help a few weeks ago. Sadly, I passed my copy along to a friend yesterday, so I can't go back page-by-page and will just have to rely on my poor memory (LOL). I'd love to join in the discussion, though. (And will try to look at the questions this evening when I have a little more time and can read completely through the thread first.)

I would like to say that, as a person living in the South, it brought up a lot of memories for me. My paternal grandmother used to have a maid. When her 4 boys were young, the maid (Minnie Lee) more or less raised them (late 40s - 50s, for sure). I've seen pictures of the family at the beach or of one son's birthday party, and she's in a good deal of the pictures.)

When I was a child (80s and 90s), Minnie Lee still came over once a week or so--sometimes less often. She was typically there more during the summer and would shell peas and beans or can tomatoes or peaches. And she cooked the absolute best fried chicken, too.

I don't remember her ever sitting at the table to eat with us, even though the dining table is in the kitchen. She always took a bar stool and ate at the counter by the stove. It never struck me as "improper" to hug her -- and it doesn't seem like anyone ever said anything about it. To me, she was like a close family friend or even a member of the family.

The Help made me think about her (she's been gone around 10 years now) and made me think about how she "fit" into our family. I realized some of the roles that I'd never thought of or realized before. Of course, it wasn't exactly like it was in the book...but I don't know the entire story of how things were for her, either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: