Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #16
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

A Past, A Promise, A Purpose, A Plan

** photos will be coming I have to get them off a comp that is currently not working**
About 4 years ago, I went to Florida for a week getaway with my secret wife. LoL Believe its a longer story. My parents agreed that they would watch our 3 year old as we would travel Orlando. I won't lie and say we didn't have fun. In fact, we had a great time. But due to circumstances and the situation at the time, the trip was not what it could have been. We kept saying that if we ever came back, that we would have to bring our son.

Every night, we called are son. He is a HUGE FAN of Woody from Toy Story. He didn't know where we were in Florida, but he eventually found out we met Buzz and Woody. He said to me, "Dad next time you go to Florida, you take me so I can meet Woody."

A couple months after we returned, my sister gave him a bank from her WDW trip. It was a house with Toy Story people on it. I had some spare change in my pocket and gave it to him. He said to me, "Dad, when I save all my pennies and when they reach the top, I'm going to buy my way to Florida. That way you and mom won't forget me." I told him that if he saves really hard, I promise to let him meet Woody. This will crush me if I fail. (crossfingers)

Not long after we had decided to go on either the 10/16 or 10/23 cruise, I contacted DU again about what should I be doing next. Tracey told me that I would need a deposit of $750 the sooner the better. She explained to me that that cruises were filling fairly fast. It was November. At the time, I only had about $200 saved, no credit cards, and little money elsewhere. I was begining to lose my drive.

Later in the month, I began to have some pretty serious issues waking up at night. I was gasping for air. My wife would slam her hand on my back to try and force me to breathe. I had tried getting a diagnosis. Sleep apnea? Nope It always came back as the same thing....obesity. I had managed in about 10 years to gain 110lbs and hitting about 310. The Doctor had been telling me for years to do something about it. I had heard his advice but was never really motivated. Then I read something on this board.

I have always had a goal in my life to run. Even in my younger days, when I was quite athletic, I wouldn't run. LOL Its the one thing, I have never ever done. I read about a guy that got up early in the morning to run a 5k on Castaway Cay. It was strange. I felt motivated by his reward. He talked about how he returned, and a little note was slipped under the door. It wasn't a medal or trophy, but just a little certificate of achieving the run. I told myself that this would be my purpose for the trip. I don't know if I ll make that goal that I have, but if I was trying at it, I just might lose a pound or two in the process.

I was excited to tell my family and my wife. After we all shared a laugh about the run, it was sorta clear that the picture of me running a 5k was just.. ridiculous. Not to mention, the only way we are going on this cruise is if I can find some money.

I realized that this was going to be the hardest part of them all. We were behind already in the budget for the cruise and with Christmas coming there would be a tough decision to be made. You see, much like many families when the economy went south, I made critical errors the years prior and nearly had late payments on my house. We didn't have a Christmas in '08 b/c we went $-19 the week prior to the holiday. I realized in order for us to go on a cruise, we (my wife and I) would have to skip Christmas in '09. In addition, I would have to work through my vacation in order to get enough money. I talked to my wife and she, after plenty of talking, agreed. WE NEED A VACATION!

So on Dec 15, I sent an email to DU that we had the deposit. Only one problem, the Eastern cruise was filled in our cabin we wanted. In fact, it was nearly booked! Cross that one out. So I told my wife about that. I asked her one more time about Halloween. I was sure going to say no. I was wrong. She had reconsidered because she had heard about the Magic being in dry dock. It made her a little uneasy. Not to mention, I told her there was some Halloween activities on board.
So the Halloween Cruise, here we come!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #17
Fastpaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
He is not, though, a hater of Halloween. Like your DW, this is also his favorite holiday. He and DD both. They go all out decorating our house every year. But we figured we wouldn't really be missing it, since they do at least some Halloween themed stuff on board. Me and Halloween? Eh. I don't get their glee over the whole thing, but I'm happy they are happy.
[color=red] I'm thinking about lightening up. That's if I can find the right costume![color]

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychard View Post
Looking forward to reading more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztigg View Post
thats why its called a pre trip report

Cant wait to hear the details Halloween is my FAVE holiday i work at a hosp ill work xmas over halloween anyday!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
OK I'm here! The party can start now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjones View Post
Me too, me too!! Hey, is this another meets thread?? I am really getting ansy now!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post
OH!! Here you all are!! Please pass the popcorn . . .
Thanks for reading... and LOL the Gang is nearly all here! :P

I know that there is a lot of information that some people may not care to read and that is fine. I will try to keep the Pre TR and the TR separated on the main page. Part of my openness is so I can have a "scrapbook" I can come back to after the whole vacation is done. For everyone else, hopefully the pre TR is coherant as I tend to write late at night and like to ramble.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
canabrits2
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying the read! Thanks for posting!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Cool

Do we have to wait until 3 am for the next installment?

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Fastpaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post
Do we have to wait until 3 am for the next installment?
I'm pacing myself.

I want to get a few of the pics up before I continue. That being said, should have something next week, at about 3am....Love me some second shift life.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #21
Fastpaks

The $15 Christmas

We sent our $750 deposit in about 10 days before Christmas. Like I said before, there would be no Christmas for my wife and I. My son had been taken care of in October before there was a mention of a cruise. When my family would get together the question would be asked what we wanted for the holiday. My answer would be just some cash for the vacation. I was determined to go.

So the plans where going to be simple. Fly in on South West on Friday, Stay at the All Star Movies, ride over on ME, cruise,and then reverse the process. Everything was in motion to just fly cruise fly. No more need to plan. Money would tight so the excursions would be a little on the el cheapo. But let's be honest, we pay for the boat, so all is well.

I don't know about you but in my experience in life has never been just that easy. There is always something that will eventually go wrong. Thinking about this I began to make arrangements for a bit of a buffer in our budget, albeit small and I would be able to fund it for a few months. This was not the only grave feelings that I would have. I never felt like I was going to still have a trip till there was a "sign" to ease my mind. Nothing supernatural, but just a little need for something for me to know that this vacation could happen.

The day before Christmas my family generally get together and between the siblings and in-laws we exchange a few pleasantries. It was good times and laughs.. then the exchange... Toys, gifts cards (rob you neighbor), some clothes.. and then my gift which would come from my sister who went on her trip. I opened my gift expecting NOTHING big. to my surprise I received a $15 gift card with a Toy Story logo on it. A Disney Card?! There is was. My little "sign" the vacation could very well just happen.

Christmas day my parents came over to my house to share in some Grandchild glee. After he opened all his gifts. My wife and I got open ours. I told my parents that if anything I would want something it would be some money for the trip but nothing really. So to my surprise we received a care package: castaway club bag, with luggage tags and straps, disposal camera, toiletry items, and some more Disney cards. THIS TRIP IS SO ON!!

Like I said before, just have to save, rest, and go. Except Disney would throw the first curve in our trip.

Last edited by Fastpaks; 06-26-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Fastpaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
threeiscrazy
DIS Veteran

Location: Home is where the Navy sends us, for the moment Northern Virginia

I'm hooked.

Discover
threeiscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #23
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

You will not be disapointed Disney does a Cruise like NO other! Cant wait to read more!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
tjbaggott
DIS Veteran

I'm HERE!! I'M HERE! LATE BUT HERE! Wow Fastpaks, you are really inspiring me to FINISH my TRIP REPORT from last Fall!!!! Think I'll work on that today, as I too would love to start a pre trip for this one! I think you and my DH work at the same kind of company. For my DH, it's PUROLATOR COURIER here in Canada. I get the budgeting and money thing! We decided our kids Christmas for this year, the gift WILL be our DREAM CRUISE for Sept. 2011. This will mean we won't have to spend money thats going to be difficult to come by anyway (two of our kids are off to College this September). Since we've already got that cruise almost paid for anyway, the knowledge of it, and a few cruise related items (ie: magnets, snorkle sets luggage tags ect....) will be their gift. Of course the older two will not be going with us, but I'll figure out something for them for Christmas. Can't wait to read the next installment in this report of yours!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #25
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
You will not be disapointed Disney does a Cruise like NO other! Cant wait to read more!
Come on Drea..book this cruise!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Cool

OK!! I'm ready for more . . . hello? hello? Where the heck did he go?!?!

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Fastpaks

Sorry been busy with the end of the year events with school, football, and a small vacation. To give you some insight where I m going:

Passing the time with 10 months?!
The Disney Curve and Monster under my House
The Absolute Last Email
Charity and the Monster Returns
MnSsHp, Leftovers, and Tacos
Holiday Road, Cd's, and Will it break?

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
Sorry been busy with the end of the year events with school, football, and a small vacation. To give you some insight where I m going:

Passing the time with 10 months?!
The Disney Curve and Monster under my House
The Absolute Last Email
Charity and the Monster Returns
MnSsHp, Leftovers, and Tacos
Holiday Road, Cd's, and Will it break?

Hope this helps.
That sounds quite intriguing!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
mvlimmex
DIS Veteran

I am here too!!!!!!!!!!!Let the Party start I have enjoyed reading your pre-trip report!!!! I can't wait to read more and to go on this cruise with you and other Disers from our thread! We are going to have fun! You will love a Disney Cruise---we have gone on 7 and they have been some of our best vacations!

Vicki

Its kinda fun to do the impossible!
~Walt Disney

Me DH DD(16) DS(11) DD(10) DS(6) DS (4) and DS (1)
mvlimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #30
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Jumping on board here. Nothing better to read about than a Halloween Disney cruise. I spent my 40th Halloween bday aboard the Magic dressed up as Mary Poppins....one of my favorite trips ever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: