Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

A Past, A Promise, A Purpose, A Plan

** photos will be coming I have to get them off a comp that is currently not working**
About 4 years ago, I went to Florida for a week getaway with my secret wife. LoL Believe its a longer story. My parents agreed that they would watch our 3 year old as we would travel Orlando. I won't lie and say we didn't have fun. In fact, we had a great time. But due to circumstances and the situation at the time, the trip was not what it could have been. We kept saying that if we ever came back, that we would have to bring our son.

Every night, we called are son. He is a HUGE FAN of Woody from Toy Story. He didn't know where we were in Florida, but he eventually found out we met Buzz and Woody. He said to me, "Dad next time you go to Florida, you take me so I can meet Woody."

A couple months after we returned, my sister gave him a bank from her WDW trip. It was a house with Toy Story people on it. I had some spare change in my pocket and gave it to him. He said to me, "Dad, when I save all my pennies and when they reach the top, I'm going to buy my way to Florida. That way you and mom won't forget me." I told him that if he saves really hard, I promise to let him meet Woody. This will crush me if I fail. (crossfingers)

Not long after we had decided to go on either the 10/16 or 10/23 cruise, I contacted DU again about what should I be doing next. Tracey told me that I would need a deposit of $750 the sooner the better. She explained to me that that cruises were filling fairly fast. It was November. At the time, I only had about $200 saved, no credit cards, and little money elsewhere. I was begining to lose my drive.

Later in the month, I began to have some pretty serious issues waking up at night. I was gasping for air. My wife would slam her hand on my back to try and force me to breathe. I had tried getting a diagnosis. Sleep apnea? Nope It always came back as the same thing....obesity. I had managed in about 10 years to gain 110lbs and hitting about 310. The Doctor had been telling me for years to do something about it. I had heard his advice but was never really motivated. Then I read something on this board.

I have always had a goal in my life to run. Even in my younger days, when I was quite athletic, I wouldn't run. LOL Its the one thing, I have never ever done. I read about a guy that got up early in the morning to run a 5k on Castaway Cay. It was strange. I felt motivated by his reward. He talked about how he returned, and a little note was slipped under the door. It wasn't a medal or trophy, but just a little certificate of achieving the run. I told myself that this would be my purpose for the trip. I don't know if I ll make that goal that I have, but if I was trying at it, I just might lose a pound or two in the process.

I was excited to tell my family and my wife. After we all shared a laugh about the run, it was sorta clear that the picture of me running a 5k was just.. ridiculous. Not to mention, the only way we are going on this cruise is if I can find some money.

I realized that this was going to be the hardest part of them all. We were behind already in the budget for the cruise and with Christmas coming there would be a tough decision to be made. You see, much like many families when the economy went south, I made critical errors the years prior and nearly had late payments on my house. We didn't have a Christmas in '08 b/c we went $-19 the week prior to the holiday. I realized in order for us to go on a cruise, we (my wife and I) would have to skip Christmas in '09. In addition, I would have to work through my vacation in order to get enough money. I talked to my wife and she, after plenty of talking, agreed. WE NEED A VACATION!

So on Dec 15, I sent an email to DU that we had the deposit. Only one problem, the Eastern cruise was filled in our cabin we wanted. In fact, it was nearly booked! Cross that one out. So I told my wife about that. I asked her one more time about Halloween. I was sure going to say no. I was wrong. She had reconsidered because she had heard about the Magic being in dry dock. It made her a little uneasy. Not to mention, I told her there was some Halloween activities on board.
So the Halloween Cruise, here we come!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: