Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #136
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I fancy myself a pretty good packer. I do have an Owner's Locker box in Orlando with cell phone & camera charges, laundry soap, toiletries, etc.

I pack for my family of 5 [DH, me, DD(10), DS(9), DD(7)] for our family trips about 8-10 days in 2 checked bags, we each have a backpack, and then 2 more carry on bags.

I don't mind doing laundry on vacation when it is our entire family. My DH takes the kids to the pool while I do laundry.

When I go on trips with just one child I don't do laundry so I tend to also have 2 checked bags. Plus those trips are not in the summer so I have to take more than shorts & Ts.

When I go with DS in May we will wear pants on the plane but not bring any other pants. When I go with the entire family in July we won't have any pants at all. We will each have a sweatshirt/sweater for cold restaurants but I know we won't need cool weather clothes.

hmmm....it it pretty cool here I should start packing for Florida.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #137
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Another chronic overpacker here. I was going to try and fit Bella's and my stuff into one suitcase, but there is NO WAY so I bought her a suitcase. I will probably take 4-5 pairs of shoes for me and at least that for her. I figure if we have extra room in our two suitcases, one carry-on, and two backpacks (yes, FIVE bags for me and a four year old) then at least we have room for souveneirs! Oh yeah, she is taking three costumes, so those take up part of the space...yeah, excuses...
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #138
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I WAY overpack so you don't want to hear from me what all you are missing...dresses..only one fancy outfit? As I was putting my clothes in the closet today (first stay at VGC) I was remarking to myself that it sure seems like we are staying longer than three days!

Just for the record, I start packing for WDW at least 1 month out if not two!
How's VGC?

I'm a real tomboy sort of person...but I was debating putting one dress into the pile.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
Well this trip I only plan on bringing dresses so....hrm. I would also plan on bringing extra shorts and maybe another part of pants. I am bringing some jeans and shorts just in case for my trip and a pair of sneakers. I hope I don't have to wear them. Sunglasses??
...And the "For" side of the dress is debate looks like winning..I might add one dress to the pile; just in case. Not sure when I'll wear it though.
An extra pair of shorts and pants? Well...if I bring extra, how could I justify shopping?
Yes - sunglasses live in my bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I'm an overpacker as well, so you probably don't want to hear from me either! I'll probably be taking 10-12 outfits for our 8 day stay, and 6-8 pair of shoes....... Not to mention sleepwear, and swimwear with matching coverups
I'm getting a strong feeling that I might be under packing here...wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
I fancy myself a pretty good packer. I do have an Owner's Locker box in Orlando with cell phone & camera charges, laundry soap, toiletries, etc.

I pack for my family of 5 [DH, me, DD(10), DS(9), DD(7)] for our family trips about 8-10 days in 2 checked bags, we each have a backpack, and then 2 more carry on bags.

I don't mind doing laundry on vacation when it is our entire family. My DH takes the kids to the pool while I do laundry.

When I go on trips with just one child I don't do laundry so I tend to also have 2 checked bags. Plus those trips are not in the summer so I have to take more than shorts & Ts.

When I go with DS in May we will wear pants on the plane but not bring any other pants. When I go with the entire family in July we won't have any pants at all. We will each have a sweatshirt/sweater for cold restaurants but I know we won't need cool weather clothes.

hmmm....it it pretty cool here I should start packing for Florida.
I have an upmarket tracksuit that I'll wear on the plane. It's super comfortable and keeps me warm. I probably won't use it again until it's time to come home and I'll wear it back on the plane.

And when we're away for 17 days with limited bag capacity, we'll be doing laundry as well. I'm looking at two checked bags and two carry ons at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
Another chronic overpacker here. I was going to try and fit Bella's and my stuff into one suitcase, but there is NO WAY so I bought her a suitcase. I will probably take 4-5 pairs of shoes for me and at least that for her. I figure if we have extra room in our two suitcases, one carry-on, and two backpacks (yes, FIVE bags for me and a four year old) then at least we have room for souveneirs! Oh yeah, she is taking three costumes, so those take up part of the space...yeah, excuses...
Oh yes. Definitely feel like I'm in the minority here regarding under packing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #139
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
How's VGC?
AWESOME ! ! ! ! ! ! !

We have a Paradise Pier view room and watched the entire WoC show from our balcony last night. Well we missed the first minute or two, but saw a good 15 or so minutes of it. I forgot a few things (medications) so I had to go home this afternoon. I got both our video cameras, our DSLR, tripods and all that stuff so we can be prepared tonight!

I thought I would feel slighted that we are in a studio (before I'd always done 1 BR and with my parents we did THV and 2 BR). To show that I am having a good time, we've been here for over 24 hours and I haven't taken one bath yet!

I so excited that we'll be back here 3 more times in the next six weeks!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #140
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Countdown to May! 12 days:Freezer clear out time

12 days to go!

We're still not officially counting down at home yet and it feels like there is still so much to do before we head off on holiday.

What is it about going on holiday that makes you think about checking perishable items? I don't have ANY issue with the stuff in my pantry....

This weekend, I checked the frozen food situation in my freezer . I have a LOT of food in that freezer and I'm going to have to cook a lot of meals over the next 12 days if I'm to put a dent into this black hole.

So, yesterday I defrosted some prawns and cooked stir fried noodles. I still have 3 more bundles of prawns...I'll use one more bundle next week.

Today, I've made a bolognaise sauce for tonight's dinner. I ended up mixing the mince beef, mince chicken and mince pork together. I made some meatballs so that there wasn't an overload of meat in the sauce but there's still a lot of sauce....and I suspect that I'm going to be freezing half of it for another night's dinner next week.

I have at least 5 x 1 lb bundles of flathead fish. Looks like Monday and Thursday night's dinner this week is going to be home made fish and chips. Oh - in keeping with my compulsive obsessiveness for being tidy, I label everything in my freezer with a purchase date and everything is stored in freezer containers. So, I'll have to check the dates and pick the oldest bundles to use.

We normally have a baked potato, cheese and coleslaw meal on Tuesday nights. DS loves this combination and I won't deviate from the routine.

Wednesday night is dinner at mum's....but she'll also be looking to empty out the freezer.

I have a fortune in chicken tenderloins as well....might have to use these for lunch next weekend.

Thankfully I cleared out some of the red meat last week, with the roast dinner. But there is still about 2 kg (4 lbs) of diced beef!

But what am I going to do with the whole frozen snapper and the 3 whole calamari? And when am I going to eat these....?

Oh well, it looks like there will be some food in the freezer when I get back from holiday.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #141
cdotla
Trish

Congrats on the weight loss! Wish I had gotten on the ball with that one!

Packing is always a challenge, isn't it?

Glad I am not the only one with a mile-long to-do list!

Not long now, is it?!! Good luck with the freezer clear-out!
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #142
franandaj

Wow! You are quite diligent with your freezer clear out. You wouldn't believe what I have in mine. Three weeks before we left I made a turkey (still have 3 more), two weeks before a Ham (2 of those left). one week before I wanted to make a Prime Rib, but no dice I forgot to thaw it out! I still have 4 maybe 5 of those, and now that F&W Festival has started we're eating a gourmet meal every week! Maybe I can slip that Prime Rib in on a Sunday after a Friday night winemaker dinner. Ahhh the dilemmas.

That doesn't even cover the spaghetti sauce that I have from a year ago, there are still at least 5-6 bags (2 cups each, not sure in metric). Also I have Rib Eyes, 2 whole chickens, boneless thighs, Top Sirloin steaks, a few Tri Tips a 7-bone roast and a skirt steak, and that's just the meats. I've got loads of frozen dinners and appetizers too...wow, you've just made me realize I need to step up my cooking game!

Oooooh, we learned a whole chicken recipe at the Napa Rose Cooking School this morning, I know what I can do with those!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #143
kangaand2roos
Mouseketeer

Oy, I'm so behind on reading my TR's. Trying to catch up! I haven't read in such a long time. Is the Cinco de Mayo meet still on?
kangaand2roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #144
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
12 days to go!

We're still not officially counting down at home yet and it feels like there is still so much to do before we head off on holiday.

What is it about going on holiday that makes you think about checking perishable items? I don't have ANY issue with the stuff in my pantry....

This weekend, I checked the frozen food situation in my freezer . I have a LOT of food in that freezer and I'm going to have to cook a lot of meals over the next 12 days if I'm to put a dent into this black hole.

So, yesterday I defrosted some prawns and cooked stir fried noodles. I still have 3 more bundles of prawns...I'll use one more bundle next week.

Today, I've made a bolognaise sauce for tonight's dinner. I ended up mixing the mince beef, mince chicken and mince pork together. I made some meatballs so that there wasn't an overload of meat in the sauce but there's still a lot of sauce....and I suspect that I'm going to be freezing half of it for another night's dinner next week.

I have at least 5 x 1 lb bundles of flathead fish. Looks like Monday and Thursday night's dinner this week is going to be home made fish and chips. Oh - in keeping with my compulsive obsessiveness for being tidy, I label everything in my freezer with a purchase date and everything is stored in freezer containers. So, I'll have to check the dates and pick the oldest bundles to use.

We normally have a baked potato, cheese and coleslaw meal on Tuesday nights. DS loves this combination and I won't deviate from the routine.

Wednesday night is dinner at mum's....but she'll also be looking to empty out the freezer.

I have a fortune in chicken tenderloins as well....might have to use these for lunch next weekend.

Thankfully I cleared out some of the red meat last week, with the roast dinner. But there is still about 2 kg (4 lbs) of diced beef!

But what am I going to do with the whole frozen snapper and the 3 whole calamari? And when am I going to eat these....?

Oh well, it looks like there will be some food in the freezer when I get back from holiday.

What use some of the food. You can make fish pie with your snapper. Beef stew with the diced beef or even chunky chili. You can make chicken and rice with your tenderloins just chop them up. So let's say starting Thrusday it goes

Thrus -Fish Pie

Fri Beef Stew

Sat Chicken and Rice

Sun Chicken stir fry

Mon Baked snapper with aparagus and rice

Tues DS's favorite meal

Wed Dinner at Mom's

Thrusday Sheppard's Pie just dice the beef up really well

Fri Coffee braised Chicken

Sat Red Beans and Rice

Sun Snapper with pasta

Maybe haha your talking to a chef in the making. I know you'll do what you will with your food but just some suggestions.

Your so close to leaving!!!!!
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #145
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
AWESOME ! ! ! ! ! ! ! .....

....I so excited that we'll be back here 3 more times in the next six weeks!
I so hate you!! I hope every trip is better than the previous one! And I'm soooo enjoying your F&W report.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #146
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Congrats on the weight loss! Wish I had gotten on the ball with that one!

Packing is always a challenge, isn't it?

Glad I am not the only one with a mile-long to-do list!

Not long now, is it?!! Good luck with the freezer clear-out!
Thanks. No not long now.

Quote:
Wow! You are quite diligent with your freezer clear out. You wouldn't believe what I have in mine. Three weeks before we left I made a turkey (still have 3 more), two weeks before a Ham (2 of those left). one week before I wanted to make a Prime Rib, but no dice I forgot to thaw it out! I still have 4 maybe 5 of those, and now that F&W Festival has started we're eating a gourmet meal every week! Maybe I can slip that Prime Rib in on a Sunday after a Friday night winemaker dinner. Ahhh the dilemmas.

That doesn't even cover the spaghetti sauce that I have from a year ago, there are still at least 5-6 bags (2 cups each, not sure in metric). Also I have Rib Eyes, 2 whole chickens, boneless thighs, Top Sirloin steaks, a few Tri Tips a 7-bone roast and a skirt steak, and that's just the meats. I've got loads of frozen dinners and appetizers too...wow, you've just made me realize I need to step up my cooking game!

Oooooh, we learned a whole chicken recipe at the Napa Rose Cooking School this morning, I know what I can do with those!
Yes, I saw the chicken. I wish I could eat it...but alas, 2D photos don't fill me up at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaand2roos View Post
Oy, I'm so behind on reading my TR's. Trying to catch up! I haven't read in such a long time. Is the Cinco de Mayo meet still on?
Welcome back!! Nice to see you back on the boards. Yes, Cinco meet still on. Hope to see you there in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
What use some of the food. You can make fish pie with your snapper. Beef stew with the diced beef or even chunky chili. You can make chicken and rice with your tenderloins just chop them up. So let's say starting Thrusday it goes

Thrus -Fish Pie

Fri Beef Stew

Sat Chicken and Rice

Sun Chicken stir fry

Mon Baked snapper with aparagus and rice

Tues DS's favorite meal

Wed Dinner at Mom's

Thrusday Sheppard's Pie just dice the beef up really well

Fri Coffee braised Chicken

Sat Red Beans and Rice

Sun Snapper with pasta

Maybe haha your talking to a chef in the making. I know you'll do what you will with your food but just some suggestions.

Your so close to leaving!!!!!
Yes....MASTERchef in the making. I like the baked snapper with rice and asparagus idea. And I won't be cooking the last 3 day's suggested menu plan....I'm on holiday!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #147
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Countdown to May! 11 days - lost more WEIGHT

11 days to go!!

Officially weighed in at 0.4 kilos less than last week. I've lost another 1 lb this week . So, I'm up to 1.5 kg lighter than when I started 3 weeks ago. I still have another 11 days to go; but no more weigh in's. Next Monday is a public holiday in Oz...Anzac Day. It's our equivalent of your Memorial Day.

So, more vigilance on the quantity of food I eat and keeping up the exercising. With luck, I'll have lost another 0.5 kilos before I get on that plane in 11 days time....

Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #148
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the thread! I will have to check it out for sure!!

Whee your doing so well! I know you will reach your goal and I know your on vacation but this no shame in getting up early one day to work out. I'm sure your hotel has a running path at the very least or going for a swim before all the kiddes get there would be a great work out too! Because then your not really "working out" per-say your just swimming.

I think my DH is going to hate me for wanting to work out at least three days. But there is a gym at my hotel so I'm at the very least going to get up very early to get a run and some weights in. I can't just not work out. I've learned a very hard lesson from that!
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #149
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your weight loss!!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #150
franandaj

Quote:
I so hate you!! I hope every trip is better than the previous one! And I'm soooo enjoying your F&W report.
Ha! and I'll be thinking the same thing when you are on your cruise! Was it Wishes or Illuminations? I forget, I would love to do that someday!

Congrats on the weight loss!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: