Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #61
steph124ny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedgraynexl View Post
Something I have noticed is that most of the "Disney Haters" seem to have their own special place that they go each and every year. Usually Vegas. I like Vegas ok, but I prefer Disney. I just don't go around disparaging other people's vacation choices. Wish they would leave mine alone.

Trust me...us Vegas people (we go once or twice a year) get the same reaction when we tell people we're going back! LOL! I can't wait to take my kids to Disney because I sure as heck would NEVER bring them to Vegas!!!
steph124ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #62
heatherleigh
DIS Veteran

Glad to see this and read the responses. I'm going to take a few tips from here, particularly the short answers. I'm one who usually feels the need to explain.

My MIL has an issue w/ us going to Disneyland because of my kids' ages. She's one of those who is always saying, "They're so young, they're going to forget. It's such a waste of money when they're little". That one has never made a lick of sense to me.
AK Trip Report 6/10: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501164
heatherleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #63
desert_starr_57
Mouseketeer

We are going on our first family trip next month. DH is already talking about going more often. I mentioned to my Mom how DH wants to go yearly or every 18 months or so and she was like "Why?" and "Your kids will get sick of it." Now when I was a kid I would have LOVED to go that often. We still went every few years. I don't get why they would get sick of it? I have a feeling we will get attitude if we do go often.
desert_starr_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #64
Disney93
Another Disney Fan

Smile A dozen trips and going again

For all the people that ask about our family going to Disney again I just tell them about all the great trips we've had. Going to WDW isn't just about the trip, the family bonding is far more important. Watching as the kids mature with each trip is a benchmark for growth. I hope we never lose that youthful feeling we get on our trips. Disney is a learning experience that grows with each trip. I hope everyone has a special place that they return to, even if it's not Disney.
Disney93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #65
roscoepc1
DIS Veteran

We went on our first-ever-for-any-of-us Disney trip last April...We went for 8 days, and jam-packed each day. We all agree we MAYBE saw/did about 1/10 of what there is to see/do!

Plus, I went online out of curiousity to the Flower and Garden show pics from this year, and everything is completely different this year! So really, you can strike all that off the 1/10 as well!

We are now planning another trip for April of 2013, and my Mom (who travelled with us, and we met for supper each night) is right on board with us again! I just asked her two days ago, asking if she'd like to travel with us again, and she said "YUP!" with absolutely no hesitation, and said the same thing...how we only saw a tiny bit of what there was to do!

I sent Disney pics as Christmas cards, and everyone's comments were the same (I sent random ones, so everyone got a different pic)..."You all look like you had SO much fun!"

roscoepc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #66
sweetsusannah
Mouseketeer

We own DVC so we go pretty often and get the “…again?” a lot from people outside of our family or my husband’s side of family. The people on my side of the family want to know when we are going again and which one of them we are taking with us! There is no other place where all of us, DH, DD, and myself can just spend time being silly and block the outside world out. As our daughter gets older we will also go other places like national parks but now at 3, those places would be more hassle that dazzle. We know this since we travel to NYC each year with her to see family. I think the haters are really jealous more than anything else.
sweetsusannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #67
E3yore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.
I use to get "You're going again?" Normally in a really snotty tone. After 6 years of multiple trips a year they have learned to ask "When is your next trip?" I always have one or two planned before I get home.

What gets me is when I meet someone new that asks why we always go (again in the snotty tone) because they always throw in "why do you always go on vacation with your kids?" Are you kidding me? I am a working Mom and don't feel like I get enough time with my kids and would NEVER think of vacationing without them. My kids are 5 and 3 and when they start asking "why are we going back?" I will look at other vacation spots but until then I get to keep going. I don't really see this happening as they ask on the way home when we are going again.

Reality is it does not matter what they think if you and your family is happy with your trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
...."We will go anywhere you want as long as you're paying."

Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #68
Evi
DIS Veteran

We have no children and we go back every few years. This will be our first consecutive year trip and I've been getting this constantly. I remind my friends and family that though they have lost the little kid in them that desires to have fun and run around an amusement park. That we have not and we will love our trip just as much as we always do. And when they suggest I should go to Europe or to a tropical island I'll send them pics of us in front of the various countries in Epcot Margarita in hand with a huge smile on my face.
Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #69
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

I think people think Disney is so expensive and you are a rich snob if you go a lot. What people don't understand is if you plan well, it costs just as much as any other vacation. Not that it cant be expensive it definitley can, but so can going to myrtle beach!!!! These people annoy me, I don't ask why they are going on vacation to their spot of the year, it's very interesting why one would have such an issue with DW!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #70
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran

One of my brothers asks me this all the time. My youngest son has milk-protein-induced-enterocolitis-syndrome and cannot eat dairy. Each time my brother says this, I try to explain that Disney does such a great job with food allergies that we will vacation there as long as we can afford it, he has this condition, and the kids want to go there. (We have tried to go other places or even just out to dinner around home and found that there are very few places that will attempt to accomodate DS)
Yet, he would still persist in his questioning. Well, we recently had DS in the hospital intensive care unit for a milk challenge which he failed miserably. I gave my brother the blow by blow of what happened there (what happens when he has a reaction) - it is extremely scary (massive, violent, repetitive vomiting 2 hours after ingestion followed by his becoming horribly pale and passing out with possibly low blood pressure, then diarrhea). I think that FINALLY got through to him. Plus my brother will be with us on our next trip, for the first portion when we will be staying at Cocoa Beach, and he will see first hand how hard it is to find us places to eat.

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 Disneyland-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 03/2014 DCL-Magic, 10/2014 Disneyland-DLH, 04/2015 DCL-Wonder
MeLaNie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #71
3princess mommy
Earning My Ears

We get all the time "you are going again you were just there"
I priced out a week in Ocean City Md and it is costing the same for 8days at Disney why would I not go to Disney

My 11 year old has been 9 times my 6 year old has been 8 times and my 2 year old has been 1 officially and 1 time in the belly
and they still get the glitter in the eye and the excitement when they get off the plane in Orlando cause they know were they are going now that is Priceless
3princess mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #72
Dre
Earning My Ears

My family is thankfully at the point where people stop asking us why we are going again. But one thing I have realized is that at least half of the magic at WDW is what families bring with them. Not everyone is capable of having a magical time because not everyone has the magic in their family. Therefore, they just don't get it. We are a blessed bunch of people who can go time after time and still have so much fun with our families and friends and leave our troubles behind. Just let it be. Let them keep asking why, and hope that one day they WILL understand.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #73
Disney Dad Canada
Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and anyone else that will listen

My response varies from place to place.

At work, I usually say "After working here for 51 weeks out of the year, I deserve a week at The Happiest Place on Earth."

For friends it's "I consider it akin to going to my cottage with 65,000 of my best friends."

My motto is "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." The quote wasn't about Disney trips, but it suits my needs just fine.
Disney Dad Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #74
EastonCat
DIS Veteran

I mentioned to a friend that I've put a deposit down on a trip for this fall, with a pending trip to happen in June (That's right, I'm planning a trip ahead). He said "Yeah - I know, Bob Iger thanked you personally in the earnings call last week"

I thought that was witty.
EastonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #75
bbrnca
an addiction is a bad thing unless it is a Mouse thing

certain in-laws have said why not go to an Island ??? my response is "Will Mickey be there"??? then i tell them why do you go camping every year ??? they seem to stop after that
SSR/VWL 12 Anniversary trip
OKW(2days)/Fantasy(7nights)/AKV(4days) 13
OKW Nov 14
VWL&Magic 15

My wife collects Minnie's and Mickey collects my money
bbrnca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: