Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Tables in Wonderland - The Wave - February 25, 2010 - Strawberries

We enjoyed our "Tables In Wonderland" dinner so much (May 21, 2009 - Theme = Zellwood Corn) that I now look for the opportunity to return to their monthly gatherin (3rd Thursday of each month).

Click Here for the Zellwood Corn Dinner review

From the menu....

"Our dinner will feature Lott Farms located just west of Plant City, Florida. Mike and Sandy Lott started their farm in 1979 on rented land and purchased and built their family farm of 50 acres in 1983. They have lived and farmed this land with their children and grandchildren since that date. Mike's great strawberries are sold under the Classic label through C&D Produce Distributors.

Jim Killam is the North Florida Sales Manager for Vineyard Brands. He is the importer of all the wines that have been chosen to pair with the menu selections to be served this evening. Jim has been involved in the Food and Beverage Industry for over 30 years and has been a long-time friend and partner with the Walk Disney World Food and Beverage team. Jim is a Certified Sommelier by the Court of the Master Sommeliers."

----------------------

Lucky me - much as I love corn (and I do), I love strawberries even more! I was dining solo this evening. I saw many familiar faces from the May 2009 dinner - they all seem to know each other really well.

---------------------

Reception:

Avocado Fries with Ancho Chile Aoili

I ate several of these delectable tidbits. Avocados are not indigenous to my area, and I don't have confidence selecting and preparing food with them. As with any food I really like and rarely have, I accepted all offers of these.

Ali, as with most of the Wave staff, is a regular participant in these dinners. Friendly, cheerful and always willing to smile for the camera.

The avocado fries, close-up

August Kesseler Sylvaner / Riedling, Rheingau, Germany

....in the stemless wine glass (with Wave inscription) on the right..

Grilled Naan Bread, Strawberry-Marinated Chicken and Midnight Moon Cheese

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Salad, and more

The Table:

Today's theme, strawberries, carried through to the table, with a centerpiece vase of crystal marbles and strawberries, along with red napkins.

Somehow, fortunately, I was seated at the same table as the selected suppliers for this dinner. I learned many things, including the fact that
(a) there 200 seeds on every strawberry
(b) how the unseasonably cold winter affected the crop
(c) how the berries did not bloom in time for Valentine's Day (high season for chocolate-dipped strawberries).
I am sure I learned more, but that was two months ago!!

Chef Frank and the "wine guy" Joe, informing us about some dimension of our meal

Mike Lott, educating us about strawberries

Salad - Myakka Heirloom Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella, Aged Balsamic Strawberries and Tiny Opal Basit from Odessa, Florida

Accompanied by a wine pairing:
Marques de Caceres Rose, Rioja, Spain 2008

I seem to recall that Joe selected this wine because it strawberry notes to match with the strawberry vinaigrette salad dressing.

Last edited by ehagerty; 04-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Appetizer - Scallops!

Seared Sea Scallops with Cream Corn and Applewood Smokes Bacon

Wine Pairing:
Tablas Creek "Cotes du Tablas Blanc" (Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne, and Grenache Blanc), Paso Robles, CA 2008

Last edited by ehagerty; 04-16-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Entree

Duck and Lobster Two Ways - Duck Confit and Sliced Breat, Lobster Tagliatelle with Cahaba Farms Arugula and Florida Gulf Coast Spiny Lobster.

Chef came out to explain his dish

Somehow, he managed to incorporate lobster pieces into the pasta itself.

I had my first taste of duck confit at the California Grill a few years back. I was an instant fan (what's not to like about the taste of dark meat cook in oil? and yes, my cholesterol is high!) - and enjoyed this immensely.

Wine Pairing:
Domaine Vincent Girardin "Emotion de Terroirs" Burgundy (Pinot Noir), Meursault, France

Last edited by ehagerty; 04-16-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Dessert

Strawberry Heaven!!

Lott Farms Strawberry Charlotte with Strawberry infused Gelato, Chocolate Truffle Mouse, Strawberry Nectar, Balsamic Strawberry reduction

Close up of Strawberry Charlotte and Strawberry Nectar

The gelato was cradled in a strawberry candy, flower-cup-thingy. It looked like the kind a candy use to coat candy apples. The gelato was homemade. It was all good.

... and ta-da, the choclate mousse

They didn't even mention the 3-chocolate-covered strawberry on the menu - but there it was on the plate. Along with some decorative chocolate strands.

Here is the pastry chef, Jeff. I think his career will be long and prosperous. I was very impressed with each element on the dessert plate - and I hate to admit it, but probably would have been impressed with any one of them. The fact that I got all 5 was nothing short of amazing to me. These desserts were worthy of signature restaurants and above. I don't know if they offer Chef Jeff's delights on the regular Wave menu, but it is worth checking it out!!!!

Recap:
Charlotte - I am not a big cake fan, but this was pretty, complex in design and delicious.
Gelato - I AM a big ice cream, gelato, sorbet fan - this was perfect
Mousse - I don't normally order chocolate desserts, but this was great
Choco-covered berry - excellent
Foam - my mother-in-law always gives us some foam if we come out on a strawberry jam Sunday in May/June. This tasted exactly like that. A good, nostalgic, comfort thing (as opposed to a gourmet thing like the other items on this plate).

I hope the pastry chef sticks around!!!

Wine Pairing:
Perrin et Fils Vinsobres (Syrach / Grenache). Cotes du Phone, France

Chef Frank wraps it up for us - inviting all to future events. I am hoping for June, 2010!!

Last edited by ehagerty; 04-16-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Redwitch
DIS Veteran

Amazing! (The food and your pictures.) As always, thanks for sharing!

RedWitch Mikka (DD) Ebony RIP Amber Khan Tora Raion

Redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Wow. Amazing photos as always. When I saw the pasta, I was hoping that it didn't taste like the Dead Sea like Todd's pasta did.

But the pastry god impressed me. Unbelievable!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Such beautiful pictures.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post these. It looks like you had a wonderful evening
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
TheDISneyFamily
°O° DIS Friendship Pixie °O°
I call it the Save & Splurge!
We're ready to meet some DIS'ers!

Wonderful review! Everything looked delicious! Is there a V&A Queen Victoria’s Room review coming soon?

Home Sweet Home - BWV - I'm going back to my happy place!

***DIS/TFW Friendship Pixie***
TheDISneyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Various Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwitch View Post
My pleasure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Wow. Amazing photos as always. When I saw the pasta, I was hoping that it didn't taste like the Dead Sea like Todd's pasta did.
No oversalted dishes here!!
Quote:
But the pastry god impressed me. Unbelievable!
As tasty as they were beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Such beautiful pictures.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post these. It looks like you had a wonderful evening
Anytime - and I'll check out your dining review, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDISneyFamily View Post
Wonderful review! Everything looked delicious! Is there a V&A Queen Victoria’s Room review coming soon?
Not anytime soon. I do have another regular dining room set of pictures from February that I haven't gotten around to posting yet. Given the price differential between the dining rooms, I will probably stick with the regular dining room (TiW discount) for now. They have added really interesting wine pairings (sake, vodka, belgian ale, etc.) in the main dining room. Even though some of the pictures start to look redundant to the casual reader, it is still an adventure of the palette for me.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
emmabelle
I better watch out or my tag will say "She's some kind of a loserbag!"

I just creeped on your Cali Grill pic's, they're very cool!!!!

Me DH DS DD and the Dis(cats) - Lily Jynx Charlie
2003-CBR, 2004-Swan, 2006-BC, 2006-BWI, 2007-WL, 2008-BWI, 2009-BC, 2010-BWI, 2011-YC, 2011-BWV, 2012-BLT, 2013-BC, 2013-YC, 2014-GF
October 2014 DCL 1/31 to 2/6, 2015?
emmabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

As always, beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: