Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #31
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I want one too. Thank goodness there isn't a little red corndog cart near my house. Your report is fun, lots of cool people, I really like Kelly. I have read some of her stuff too.
I like Kelly too. We have a nonsense thread that a bunch of us visit on if you are interested. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2376343 Kelly, her mom and a bunch of cool people visit it.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #32
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDerek View Post

Yeah, we're timeshare nuts....with DVC we own at Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach (I wasn't sure which acronyms folks use I think it's WLR and DVB)...I'm not sure how successful Starwood can be traded for Disney since you have to go through Interval International but we can use Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG for short, i.e., hotel points after conversion from time share points) at the Anaheim Sheraton which I hear from my in-laws is a nice hotel near the DL property or stay at the Sheraton Vistana in Orlando (but is off property). With Starwood, we own in Maui (every other year), Cancun (every other year) and Rancho Mirage (near Palm Springs) (every year). Thus, we've got plenty of maintenance fees to pay off.....

The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous! never been to Vero Beach but it looks like fun. Maui, Cancun, and Palm Springs? I know I am older but can you adopt me? Maybe you need a nanny? I would love to buy either more Disney points or one of the other timeshares- resale might be the way to go. The maintenance fees are killer but SO worth it. Buying DVC was one of the smartest things we have done for our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I like Kelly too. We have a nonsense thread that a bunch of us visit on if you are interested. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2376343 Kelly, her mom and a bunch of cool people visit it.

Thanks! I will have to check it out.

So today I get to try and call for Wine Country again. Some folks here on the DIS are saying they are able to make PS there but I have spoken with 2 CMs prior to today who say the system won't let them in until they have a solid re-opening date.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #33
rentayenta

WoC info and no Wine Country

No Wine Country PS allowed yet. This is the 3rd CM to confirm this.

On another note, the CM did confirm there would be WoC preferred seating at AG, similar to F! in nature.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #34
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
No Wine Country PS allowed yet. This is the 3rd CM to confirm this.

On another note, the CM did confirm there would be WoC preferred seating at AG, similar to F! in nature.
That's too bad about the PS, but the WoC preferred seating may be the only way to comfortably see it during our trips there.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #35
rentayenta

Quote:
That's too bad about the PS, but the WoC preferred seating may be the only way to comfortably see it during our trips there.

I am thinking you are right.

I spoke to the CM about making BB PS tomorrow and she said to make sure to call right at 7 am PST. She also said for a party of 11 we'd have to split to get waterside at 11:30 otherwise we'd have to take an 11:40 PS not waterside.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #36
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
I am thinking you are right.

I spoke to the CM about making BB PS tomorrow and she said to make sure to call right at 7 am PST. She also said for a party of 11 we'd have to split to get waterside at 11:30 otherwise we'd have to take an 11:40 PS not waterside.
Oh I would so be on the phone at exactly 7am because I have done this before. BB fills up faster than anywhere else.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #37
rentayenta

Quote:
Oh I would so be on the phone at exactly 7am because I have done this before. BB fills up faster than anywhere else.

Wish me luck. I have the dining number in my cell.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Wish me luck. I have the dining number in my cell.
Me too!! Good luck!!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #39
DisneyDerek
Newbie - Married to a Disney Fanatic (WendyO)

Quote:
The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous! never been to Vero Beach but it looks like fun. Maui, Cancun, and Palm Springs? I know I am older but can you adopt me? Maybe you need a nanny? I would love to buy either more Disney points or one of the other timeshares- resale might be the way to go. The maintenance fees are killer but SO worth it. Buying DVC was one of the smartest things we have done for our family.
We're always open to nanny care for the kids so we may take you up on it But definitely the resale market has its pros and cons. My co-worker bought an every year unit for $3,000 at our timeshare in Rancho Mirage by Palm Springs and was able to trade it for two weeks at another Westin property in AZ. Thus, her investment will pay itself off in two trips! The downside is that resale units can't be converted into hotel points like ours can since we bought directly from Starwood.

Also we purchased Vero Beach to augment our Wilderness Lodge points. One strategy we used was to bank and borrow points to cover villa stays for family during WDW trips and then used their payment to us to buy additional DVC points. The trick when adding DVC points is to make sure they line up in the same use period otherwise, you can't use all of your points at the same time.
Post Kids: WDW - 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012; DCL: 2003 (4-night Bahamian Disney Wonder), 2005 (7-night Caribbean Disney Magic), 2007 (10-Night Mediterranean Disney Magic), 2011 (7-night Alaska Disney Wonder), 2012 (Disney Dream??)
DisneyDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #40
rentayenta

Quote:
Me too!! Good luck!!
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
[FONT="Century Gothic"]
We're always open to nanny care for the kids so we may take you up on it But definitely the resale market has its pros and cons. My co-worker bought an every year unit for $3,000 at our timeshare in Rancho Mirage by Palm Springs and was able to trade it for two weeks at another Westin property in AZ. Thus, her investment will pay itself off in two trips! The downside is that resale units can't be converted into hotel points like ours can since we bought directly from Starwood.

Also we purchased Vero Beach to augment our Wilderness Lodge points. One strategy we used was to bank and borrow points to cover villa stays for family during WDW trips and then used their payment to us to buy additional DVC points. The trick when adding DVC points is to make sure they line up in the same use period otherwise, you can't use all of your points at the same time.

Good tip on having the same use year. I am thinking along the same lines and the problem is that the maintenance fees for the GCV are very high compared to the others. It might be smarter to do what you did and look into Vero or Hilton Head. My home is SSR, which my husband loves, so even booking at the 7 month with the new points shouldn't be a problem.

You sort of answered another question about charging family/friends. I am on a waitlist for my friend for a GCV Studio for 2 nights in June- she wants to meet us at Disneyland and I don't mind using my points but I am having to borrow for her stay. I will charge her $10 a point if the wait comes through ($340) which seems like a steal and she happily agreed to. She couldn't look at even a regular hotel room at the GVC for $170 a night including tax and resort fee. It feels like a win/win but curious on your thoughts as far as charging.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #41
DisneyDerek
Newbie - Married to a Disney Fanatic (WendyO)

Quote:
Great minds think alike!
Good tip on having the same use year. I am thinking along the same lines and the problem is that the maintenance fees for the GCV are very high compared to the others. It might be smarter to do what you did and look into Vero or Hilton Head. My home is SSR, which my husband loves, so even booking at the 7 month with the new points shouldn't be a problem.

You sort of answered another question about charging family/friends. I am on a waitlist for my friend for a GCV Studio for 2 nights in June- she wants to meet us at Disneyland and I don't mind using my points but I am having to borrow for her stay. I will charge her $10 a point if the wait comes through ($340) which seems like a steal and she happily agreed to. She couldn't look at even a regular hotel room at the GVC for $170 a night including tax and resort fee. It feels like a win/win but curious on your thoughts as far as charging.
I usually let Wendy handle the pricing with family/friends but she consults me on the pricing. During our Feb 2010 stay at BLT, we offered our friends Kim & Allan the opportunity to pay us equivalent to what they would book at POR which seemed like a win/win for them and us. But rather than have them pay us cash outright, they paid the cash equivalent for our DDP. In the end, we didn't get top dollar (which was fine because they're friends) but we covered some of our out-of-pocket expenses. My main concern was charging a price that would sour the friendship (no dollar amount is worth that) but we also couldn't give the rooms away for free either. I think we got the GC hotel for $350 or maybe a little less when we booked with a wedding, but definitely not too many deals offered by DL.
Post Kids: WDW - 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012; DCL: 2003 (4-night Bahamian Disney Wonder), 2005 (7-night Caribbean Disney Magic), 2007 (10-Night Mediterranean Disney Magic), 2011 (7-night Alaska Disney Wonder), 2012 (Disney Dream??)
DisneyDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #42
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

I may be able to meet you on another evening if you can fit me in...
jordanyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #43
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
I may be able to meet you on another evening if you can fit me in...

Really? Wed or Thurs looks great for us.

Quote:
I usually let Wendy handle the pricing with family/friends but she consults me on the pricing. During our Feb 2010 stay at BLT, we offered our friends Kim & Allan the opportunity to pay us equivalent to what they would book at POR which seemed like a win/win for them and us. But rather than have them pay us cash outright, they paid the cash equivalent for our DDP. In the end, we didn't get top dollar (which was fine because they're friends) but we covered some of our out-of-pocket expenses. My main concern was charging a price that would sour the friendship (no dollar amount is worth that) but we also couldn't give the rooms away for free either. I think we got the GC hotel for $350 or maybe a little less when we booked with a wedding, but definitely not too many deals offered by DL.

That's a good way to do it and I agree about not wanting to sour any friendships. When she asked about it, I explained how DVC works and we even went online to look at GCH hotel rates and then showed her the Studio layout. She jumped on the chance. I hope it comes through for her.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #44
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Okay...I'll know as I get closer, but Wednesday might work as well.
jordanyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #45
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Okay...I'll know as I get closer, but Wednesday might work as well.

I forgot Sunday night too. It's a midnight Disneyland night and WoC should be showing too!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: