Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
marius97
DIS Veteran

Trex Cafe vs. Rainforest Cafe at DTD?

Currently, I'm scheduled for a 1900 Park Fare dinner this June with DW, DD9, DD7, DS5. That will cost me around $160 that I don't really want to spend. The kids like Cinderella, but they aren't as into the other characters at that dinner. Last year, we did Trex and it only cost us about $80 and the kids loved it. We've never been to a Rainforest Cafe though. How does that compare cost and decor wise to Trex? I'm probably going to drop Park Fare in favor of one of those places at DTD. I just don't know if I should go for the place I know the kids will like...Trex, or get "adventerous" at Rainforest.

ETA: After posting, I found the menu and prices for Rainforest on the allears.net site. I'm still curious to see what people think of which is better.
marius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
tink'smom2B
Chasing Tinkerbell Full Time

Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex Cafe are owned by the same company. You can get priority seating and a discount if you join their Safari club (info is at the restaurant). We ate at both places last week and they are the same. I think they raised their prices from last year though, as our meal for 5 (3 adults and 2 kids) cost around $125 + tip.

tink'smom2B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

We have done RFC at AK (not DTD) and T-Rex. We loved both of them. I don't think the kids had a preference. DH and I both preferred our meals at T-Rex. But this could have been just because of what we had ordered. I think either would be good. If you have done T-Rex, it might be worth trying something different. The theming is just as good in my opinion.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

They are pretty much the same.....only difference is the theme.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We have done both - personally, I believe the food and service is much better at T-Rex.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
JoShan1719
DIS Veteran

I haven't eaten at the RC in DTD, but have eaten at one by my home. Both have very good food and service, but I enjoyed the atmosphere at TRex better. The little thunder storm at RC didn't really do anything for me, but I love the meteor shower at TRex. I liked the food selection at TRex more than RC as well. HTH!
JoShan1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
Hootch
DIS Veteran

We have

done both at Disney. Traditionally we have headed to DTD on our first night.

Overall we preferred RFC but I can see how others would prefer T-Rex.

The design is essentially the same - animatronic figures that put on a little show every fifteen minutes or so. The menus are basic American though we preferred the selection at RFC slightly more (hence the lean).

Neither has great food but both entertain the kids. The first time we took our daughter she was three. We were seated right next to the elephants and she was a bit scared. She took the seat the furthest away. But in the middle of the meal she decided that she liked them so I switched seats so she could sit as close as possible.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
ROEDISNEY
DIS Veteran My name is Disney

Love T-Rex & Rain Forest and we usually go to either one the first night. They are owned by the same people. You can't go wrong with either place.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Done both and cost is about the same BUT we felt the food was sooo much better at TREX! They are both owned by the same company but the food at RFC was just BLAND! I am NOT a chicken fried steak lover but my DH is and ordered it at TREX and it was amazing, Im actually going to order it when we go in Sept. The extinction dessert was also so much better than the volcano dessert at RFC, RFC version was dry while TREX was moist with this awesome carmel on it! The cotontini is yummy too!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
candcmama
Earning My Ears

coupons

I've never been to either, but my friends have said that you pay for the ambience. The food is nothing particularly special. However, I found an online coupon for Landry's restaurants (company that owns both) for a 99 cent kid's meal with adult entree purchase. I called RF in AK and DD and both accept it. Too bad I couldn't find one for T-Rex - I'd prefer that one. I found it through Mousesavers.
candcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
rcallbeck
Earning My Ears

I absolutely love TRex at DTD - the food is great, and the atmosphere is phenomenal! It has become one of those "must do" places for us when we visit WDW now..

2004 - 1st time to WDW (family + mom and dad in law)
2008 - 2nd trip to WDW (just the family)
2009 - 3rd trip to WDW (and 1st time on DCL)
2011 - 4th trip - May 2013 - in the works!

DIS Dads club member 453
rcallbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
DaniB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candcmama View Post
I've never been to either, but my friends have said that you pay for the ambience. The food is nothing particularly special. However, I found an online coupon for Landry's restaurants (company that owns both) for a 99 cent kid's meal with adult entree purchase. I called RF in AK and DD and both accept it. Too bad I couldn't find one for T-Rex - I'd prefer that one. I found it through Mousesavers.
I found that coupon as well! I was hoping it would be accepted at T-Rex since we're going to have lunch there on our arrival day. Ah well.

There's a RF in Toronto and our kids were only 5 years and 6 months when we took them. I think we might go there this summer and use the coupon. Then I can also sign up for the club card, and purchase a gift card - which I think I can use both at T-Rex... have to double-check on that.

They'll be 11 and 6 years and don't remember RF at all!

Sept 14-23, 2010 - 9 nights CSR 1st family vacation (w/ free DDP)
DaniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
amshowers
DIS Veteran

We like both, but we only order apps, kids meals, dessert. I think the appetizers at both places are better than the entrees, plus it will save you some money. I have safari club which will get you the discount at both but only priority seating at RFC. Here's a link to Landry's coupons, to save with buying the card. http://www.coupondad.net/blog/wp-con...ons_123010.pdf
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
iheartdolewhips
DIS Veteran

We love T-Rex! I haven't been to the Rainforest Cafes at Disney, but I wasn't impressed when I ate at one in Chicago.

Canceled our May trip because I broke my tailbone.

Resorts we have stayed at: Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Polynesian
I have also stayed at: All Star Music and Pop Century
Favorite Restaurants: Kona Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and T-Rex
iheartdolewhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
HunnyJar
DIS Veteran

We love both restaurants! But T-Rex is slightly better in my opinion. One thing I didn't care for about T-Rex, though.. It seems to be louder in there than at the Rainforest Cafe. But I could be wrong.

HunnyJar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: