Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #526
jenny105
DIS Veteran
 
jenny105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,842

I hope she gets to meet the mermaid version of Ariel! They have to relocate her somewhere. I'm happy about Goofy the pirate though

I started my PTR. The link is in my siggy!
__________________

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #527
kcandbella
DIS Veteran
 
kcandbella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 955

Well of course I will let you know how it goes for us, but I doubt I will be much help. Some of the changes are taking place in April, but a lot of the characters are shifting on May 9th. That is our departure day and we are not planning on going into the parks! So we may not even get to meet Ariel at all, as her move to the Veranda isn't schduled to begin until then. And we are not going to Akershus. I doubt Bella will care all that much, as she is not that into Ariel (more into Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, the Fairies, and of course TIANA) but I would be very disappointed if she were. I am excited that it seems the Up characters will still be at DHS when we are there. Even though I am a little disappointed by some of the changes, I keep thinking about the trip we will take FOR SURE in '12 or '13 to see the new FL and how great it will be!
__________________
Me (Kayce) DD Bella (9)
Nov 2014 CB
Feb 2014 ASM, SOG--Glass Slipper Challenge
July 2013 AEP Contemporary
June 2013 Pop
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop-W&D half marathon
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #528
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I hope she gets to meet the mermaid version of Ariel! They have to relocate her somewhere. I'm happy about Goofy the pirate though

I started my PTR. The link is in my siggy!
I do too but it does not look like it is going to happen. If they close Ariel's Grotto and do not open it again there is no other location at this point that will have Ariel as a mermaid.

I subbed and commented!
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #529
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
Well of course I will let you know how it goes for us, but I doubt I will be much help. Some of the changes are taking place in April, but a lot of the characters are shifting on May 9th. That is our departure day and we are not planning on going into the parks! So we may not even get to meet Ariel at all, as her move to the Veranda isn't schduled to begin until then. And we are not going to Akershus. I doubt Bella will care all that much, as she is not that into Ariel (more into Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, the Fairies, and of course TIANA) but I would be very disappointed if she were. I am excited that it seems the Up characters will still be at DHS when we are there. Even though I am a little disappointed by some of the changes, I keep thinking about the trip we will take FOR SURE in '12 or '13 to see the new FL and how great it will be!
Thanks Kayce! When I read that, I realized that it is big changes happening when you are going to be there. Would you have time to run to MK in the morning? I am so glad that have left out Tiana!! That way Bella can meet her favorite Princess.

We definitely will be planning on going back in '12 or '13 too. I just hope it is as magical as it seems it will be. With another few years too it will be interesting to see what Bella and Lilian like since they are fairly similar right now.
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #530
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

The second concern I want feedback on if you care to comment is about Night of Joy. It is scheduled to move back to MK after being in DHS the last few years. There are several bigger bands slated to be performing on the 11th—our first day there.

I really want Lilian’s first experience of Disney to be MK. We are scheduled to go there Saturday after we arrive. MK closes at 6:00 p.m. to all guests who do not have Night of Joy tickets. Night of Joy ticket holders can start coming in at 4:00 p.m. Am I insane for still wanting to go to MK that day?

Here is what I am mulling over in my head, schedule wise:
Leave Valdosta, GA at 8:00 a.m. and drive straight to POR—no stops for groceries. If we do not stop, it would take about 4 hours to get to POR. We would probably be able to get to MK around 1:00 p.m. That is no lunch stop either—we would have to pick something up in the park. We have the credits to use as long as we stick to CS that day.
That is best case scenario. If we are dragging, we may not get off until 9:00 a.m. That would put us there about 1:00, then at the park at 2:00. Of course, our room may not be ready so we may be able to get to the park much faster than an hour. What do you all think about this?
DHS has EMH until 9:00 p.m. and EP is open until 9:00 p.m. as well. DTD is always an option too—we are considering going to MK until it closes, than off to DTD if we have the energy or back to the resort for swimming. Sunday we are off to DHS, early to get a few things knocked out right away with a break late morning until 3:00 when we go back to DHS and stay through F! We do not want to be up too late on Saturday.
What do you think—what should we do? I really do not want to give up Lilian’s first experience being MK because that is what she thinks of when talking about Disney. Help!!
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #531
jenny105
DIS Veteran
 
jenny105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,842

I would still shoot for MK. The first thing she has to see is the castle. If I were in your shoes, nothing would stop me from taking her there first thing! You'll have a few hours in the park and I'm sure you planned time to go back and see everything you miss on your first day. I say go for it!
__________________

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #532
gallmcduck
Gallmcduck
 
gallmcduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 662

I would def go to MK even if it's just for that first disney look and then back to hotel or DTD for some relaxation and walk around shops. You may want to just take it all. Taking it all in, in a sort of relaxing way, all the headline stuff will be there for next visit. Bonus would be fitting some attractions in
__________________
10 months and 3 weeks until our next WDW Florida Reunion

Aug 1997 Offsite I Drive 14 Nights (ME & DH), Sept 1998 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH our engagement), Sept 1999 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH), Nov 2000 Poly & 4 Night Disney Wonder Eastern Cruise 14 Nights (ME & DH our Honeymoon), June 2001 Offsite Davenport Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), Sept 2002 Offsite Gulf Coast Clearwater 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), June 2004 Offsite Kissimmee Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2005 Offsite & 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2006 Offsite I Drive (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members),October 2008 Offsite Vista Cay Condo 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members), July 2010 POR 17 Days (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members) October 2012 17 days Pop, Fantasy, OKW (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members July 2014 Gulfcoast Clearwater 3 nights, OKW 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members
gallmcduck is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #533
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran
 
Dancegrl624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,984

Is Disney guaranteeing that Ariel will be Akershus? Because when we went there last Jan (2009), we saw Princess Aurora, Princess Jasmine, Snow White and Mary Poppins (and Belle of course). I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news or anything, I swear! Have you checked out the "official fantasyland expansion q & a" thread? They have TONS of info about everything and they update it whenever they can.
__________________
Me- Meghan (32), DH-Tony (30), DD-Madison (11), DS-Cole (3)



Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #534
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran
 
MHTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,126

That stinks about not being able to have an up close visit with Ariel as a mermaid! Maybe Disney will work something out to move her. I will definitely keep my eyes open while I'm there at the end of May.

Now, on the first day question.......One thought I had was it might be upsetting to Lilian if you got to MK and had to turn around and leave so quickly. If you get there at 2 and have to be out by 4 that's really not a lot of Disney time, especially in the middle of the afternoon, while crowds are thicker.

Now, you could go in, see the castle, watch the afternoon parade, and then leave. That might work.
__________________
~Michelle



Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152


All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #535
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

First Day replies

The first day all I would hope to accomplish would be to get to MK, buy ears for our family, get a couple photopass pictures with Castle shots (with and without the ears) and just walk around and absorb that magical Disney feeling (and stretch our legs ). If we can get on rides that would be a perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I would still shoot for MK. The first thing she has to see is the castle. If I were in your shoes, nothing would stop me from taking her there first thing! You'll have a few hours in the park and I'm sure you planned time to go back and see everything you miss on your first day. I say go for it!
I really do want her first visit to the actual parks to be MK to see the Castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallmcduck View Post
I would def go to MK even if it's just for that first disney look and then back to hotel or DTD for some relaxation and walk around shops. You may want to just take it all. Taking it all in, in a sort of relaxing way, all the headline stuff will be there for next visit. Bonus would be fitting some attractions in
Not so much about how much we can get done but soaking it up like you said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Is Disney guaranteeing that Ariel will be Akershus? Because when we went there last Jan (2009), we saw Princess Aurora, Princess Jasmine, Snow White and Mary Poppins (and Belle of course). I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news or anything, I swear! Have you checked out the "official fantasyland expansion q & a" thread? They have TONS of info about everything and they update it whenever they can.
The last several reports I have read, Ariel has been there. Mary Poppins, on the other hand, I have only read I think one report of her being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
That stinks about not being able to have an up close visit with Ariel as a mermaid! Maybe Disney will work something out to move her. I will definitely keep my eyes open while I'm there at the end of May.

Now, on the first day question.......One thought I had was it might be upsetting to Lilian if you got to MK and had to turn around and leave so quickly. If you get there at 2 and have to be out by 4 that's really not a lot of Disney time, especially in the middle of the afternoon, while crowds are thicker.

Now, you could go in, see the castle, watch the afternoon parade, and then leave. That might work.
I wrote above what my hopes are for that first day. MK closes at 6:00 to non-NOJ ticket holders.

Thank you for scouting for me!! I would really appreciate it.
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #536
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,840

Gotta do mk first. Many non-hoppers will avoid it because of the early closing. So maybe it won't be too busy. You should be able to accomplish your goals and a couple rides I would think. Just get your kttw and go!
I hate all the changes for you- all the limbo.
And I'm saving for 12/13 too. I'm betting the deals will be few and far between because it seems everyone is excited about the improvements.
__________________
Chris Lauren James, 5 Maya, 9



May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
lbuzz52 is offline  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #537
lexmas
DIS Veteran
 
lexmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,214

The changes are all tough. Thanks for the update about all the characters. Seems like this fall is a tough time to travel this year!
__________________
So far...2 trips to Disneyland, 12 trips to WDW!


Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.


Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
lexmas is offline  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #538
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran
 
Dancegrl624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
The last several reports I have read, Ariel has been there. Mary Poppins, on the other hand, I have only read I think one report of her being there.
I do know that Ariel is at Akershus sometimes. I've read that she'll be appearing at CRT and Akershus until she moves to the Adventureland Veranda, but certain characters aren't guaranteed to be a character meals. Here's a post from the Fantasyland expansion thread:

Yep, Ariel is theoretically replacing Jasmine (at CRT and Akershus). Of course, no princess is a guarantee at either dining location, but that's going to be the new trend starting April 12th.
__________________
Me- Meghan (32), DH-Tony (30), DD-Madison (11), DS-Cole (3)



Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #539
kcandbella
DIS Veteran
 
kcandbella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post

Yep, Ariel is theoretically replacing Jasmine (at CRT and Akershus). Of course, no princess is a guarantee at either dining location, but that's going to be the new trend starting April 12th.
This is good to know. Especially since Jasmine is available for meet and greets in the WS and by the Magic Carpets. I would rather meet Ariel than her at CRT (only because there are other options for J).

As for MK the first day, I was pretty set on that, too. I want the MK to be first and also last. It will always be the most "Disney" to me, and I want to pass that along. If you think it is do-able to get there in time, I would go for it. You wouldn't be interested in buying tickets to the special event? It would cost more but at least you could stay longer...just an idea.
__________________
Me (Kayce) DD Bella (9)
Nov 2014 CB
Feb 2014 ASM, SOG--Glass Slipper Challenge
July 2013 AEP Contemporary
June 2013 Pop
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop-W&D half marathon
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #540
jenny105
DIS Veteran
 
jenny105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
This is good to know. Especially since Jasmine is available for meet and greets in the WS and by the Magic Carpets. I would rather meet Ariel than her at CRT (only because there are other options for J).

As for MK the first day, I was pretty set on that, too. I want the MK to be first and also last. It will always be the most "Disney" to me, and I want to pass that along. If you think it is do-able to get there in time, I would go for it. You wouldn't be interested in buying tickets to the special event? It would cost more but at least you could stay longer...just an idea.

That is my ritual whenever I visit the World!
__________________

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When your job impacts your child Mickey'snewestfan Community Board 101 10-12-2009 09:56 PM
Very Unofficial October Grand Gathering Plan - For me and other crazy people like me Whipperwhirl Camping Community Board 9 10-09-2009 10:27 AM
Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Break wdwfan Disney Cruise Line Forum 17 10-08-2009 08:46 PM
Ok, so my DD left this am Trish5768 Community Board 4 10-08-2009 08:34 PM
I am going to a Creative Memories Gathering MsDisney23 Scrapbooking 3 10-08-2009 08:11 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: