Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #91
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Joining in! I caught up with you on the So Cal board or wherever it was you asked about what to do in Long Beach. Looking forward to hearing all about your countdown and your trip! I could use to lose a few kilos, but it isn't going to happen!

In looking at your timing on your trip it looks like you're coming into Long Beach on May 14th. Just to let you know you'll be in Long Beach for Gay Pride weekend. That's not a bad thing, but besides the Long Beach Grand Prix, that is the highest grossing revenue weekend for the city, which means that the city is packed! You're lucky you've got your hotel room reserved, and if you're going to Catalina on the Saturday there'll be no problem. It's just a very busy weekend and parking is difficult in the downtown area.

I thought I would share a few photos of the top of Signal Hill that I mentioned in the other forum. These are from my Point and Shoot, and to join the DSLR discussion, we also have a Canon Rebel XT, but anyways, the pictures don't to it justice. When I was up there today I noticed quite a few people having picnics, there were four tables, two in the shade and two in the sun.

In this picture, you can see Catalina off in the distance.

Another interesting thing to do while you are here is a Zeppelin that is flying out of the Long Beach airport. You can find more information at www.airshipventures.com or call 650-969-8100 x111.

Here is a shot:

And here is a shot from Signal Hill looking towards Downtown LA

Looking forward to hearing more of your updates.
I LOVE your photos. I can't wait to have my own set like this
I'm actually in Long Beach at the start of the trip - so I'll be there from the 30 Apr - 2 May. I'll be staying with my aunt in San Marcos at the end and am seriously thinking about coming into LB for the Gay Pride weekend....until I read your views about parking. Might give it a miss..

Thanks for joining my PTR. Glad to have you here...and also in the SoCal section (thanks again for your tips).

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-29-2010 at 05:19 AM.
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #92
PrincessInOz
in

34 days to May!

So I weighed in. And now I'm a little . After cycling an average of 4 kilometers a day (slightly over 2 miles); being SUPER diligent about food and quantities....I lost NOTHING! Yup, a big fat (ooh...should I use this word in my current frame of mind?) zero.

Oh well, it's better than gaining weight! So, on to this week. What am I going to do differently? I'm probably going to tweak my breakfast a little bit. I think that I might need to go to plain toast; rather than eating 1/2 a bagel.
I'm going to keep with the cycling and add some more 30 minute power walks during the week....
and I'm going to continue being good with my food and quantities.

I'm still targeting 3 - 5 kilos in the next month.

Won't be weighing in again for 2 weeks. WW is shut for Easter....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #93
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I know it's hard, but try not to get discouraged - you're getting healthier and that is what is important, the weight will come off eventually!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #94
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Good for you! I work out a lot. Between 4 and 5 times a week. But I'm always doing something to get my body going. Weather it's Yoga, walking the dog, dancing or working out. I'm doing something everyday with my body.

I also eat five 1/2 meals a day.

So that's:

Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Recovery drink after workout
Dinner.

I work out hard 3 to 4 times a week. Then I do not so hard workouts like Yoga and dancing between those. I can't say I've ever had a issue with weight but I know I wasn't on a good path as far as my eating was concerned. So I switched to a Vegetarian diet and began eating clean. I don't drink coffee anymore I don't add sugar, I try not to add salt. (That's a hard one!) But over all it's worked for me and helped me maintain the weight I'm at and even put on some muscle weight!

I hope you have success!!! I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #95
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
so I'll be there from the 30 Apr - 2 May.
That's good, the only exciting thing happening that weekend is MY BIRTHDAY! For which I will be staying out in Anaheim!

Don't get yourself down about the lack of weight loss, you're gaining muscle, or at least that's what everyone tells me. Keep up the good work.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #96
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

It's true! You are gaining muscle. You won't notice weight loss like you notice weight gain. But cutting out the bagel is good and replacing it with whole wheat toast would be very better. Or Oatmeal! That stuff is packed with vital nutrients you need.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #97
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I know it's hard, but try not to get discouraged - you're getting healthier and that is what is important, the weight will come off eventually!
Thanks you for the encouragement. I'm trying hard to stick to this lifestyle change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That's good, the only exciting thing happening that weekend is MY BIRTHDAY! For which I will be staying out in Anaheim!

Don't get yourself down about the lack of weight loss, you're gaining muscle, or at least that's what everyone tells me. Keep up the good work.
I'll think of you when I arrive and will be really envious that you will be in Anaheim.

Muscle...yeah...muscle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
But over all it's worked for me and helped me maintain the weight I'm at and even put on some muscle weight!

I hope you have success!!! I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!
I hope I have success too!!
Quote:
It's true! You are gaining muscle. You won't notice weight loss like you notice weight gain. But cutting out the bagel is good and replacing it with whole wheat toast would be very better. Or Oatmeal! That stuff is packed with vital nutrients you need.
I've replaced it with Bircher Muesli...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #98
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Wishes Dessert Party vs getting fit #16

30 days to go!! or even shorter .... 1 month!

The boards told me that the Wishes Dessert party was available for booking during the time that my trip is planned for.

Do I book or do I stay on my getting fit/weight loss plan?

Who am I kidding.....DESSERT wins out every single time!

The issue was - do I book just us or do I include the rest of the family? I know if I mentioned it to them, there would be the endless discussion about whether it is "worth" the money. And by the time the discussion finished, WDP would be completely booked out.

So, I've bitten the bullet and I've booked in for the entire party without their knowledge.
DH and I talked about it and we have decided to treat the rest of the family. And we booked in for Mother's Day; so it will be nice to have something special to do for this day for my mum (and me ). I know that Spectro isn't planned to run on this day - but looking at the boards, it would seem that we would get less than optimum view of spectro. Besides; I figured that Spectro parade would only get in my way of focussing on the yummy desserts.

And if the rest of the family decides that they don't want to come (I can't imagine why NOT...but we are talking about my family here), I'll be posting an alert out on the boards for anyone who wants to join me on this day

Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #99
cdotla
Trish

Good idea about the dessert party...I am sure you will be able to get some Dissers to take over if the rest of the family doesn't want to join you.

Bummer about the lack of weight loss with all that exercise going on. But...I tend to agree with the others that you are likely gaining muscle mass.

Sadly, I have yet to do a single thing to attempt to get in shape and lose the many pounds I have accumulated over the past few years. I am so mad at myself because at 1 month before the trip there is obviously not much time to do anything.

Good for you for sticking with your plans and keeping at it. Don't let the scales this week deter you from your goal! I have to take the cue from you and the many other Dissers getting themselves healthy and in shape!

As for the bagel habit - that for sure would be a good one to kick. Personally I get a toasted cinnamon and raisin bagel for breakfast each day on the way to work. I know this is a big no-no, and is something that I need to cut out.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #100
PrincessInOz
in

27 days to May!

I've upped the tempo of my exercising and am now doing 5 - 6 km bike rides.
I've managed to get about 5 rides this week after dinner. Unfortunately, it's going to get harder to do this on a daily basis. Eastern Australia will lose daylight saving tonight and all clocks go back 1 hour. Yes...I get an EXTRA HOUR of sleep tonight.

So, I'm going to have to aim for riding 3 - 4 times a week and supplementing with longer walks during the day.

The eating plan is also working out well - I'm slowly weaning myself off sugar and also marginally reducing the quantity of food I eat. Oh...and bagels? None this week (so far). Been keeping with the bircher muesli or 2 slices of toast.

If I don't shift any weight, I'll be disappointed..but if I keep the exercising up, at least I'll be fitter for the World.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #101
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

You can do it! I know you can and before you know it you'll notice that maybe you didn't lose any weight cause it turned into muscle and muscle weights more than fat. But you'll notice that your body will begin to change. I've seen it many many many times in the work out class I take. People come in out of shape and over weight and then boom x amount of months later they are smaller than ever! I always tell them how much they've grown and changed since eating right and coming to the work out class! I know you can do it!

Also where are you did you stay when you went to DL? I want to go for my birthday this July by I'm having no luck for budget hotels that are close to DL. I don't want to stay anywhere gross but I know it's just somewhere to crash......but I'd like to be able to walk to DL rather than depend on a bus to come and get us.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #102
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
You can do it! I know you can and before you know it you'll notice that maybe you didn't lose any weight cause it turned into muscle and muscle weights more than fat. But you'll notice that your body will begin to change. I've seen it many many many times in the work out class I take. People come in out of shape and over weight and then boom x amount of months later they are smaller than ever! I always tell them how much they've grown and changed since eating right and coming to the work out class! I know you can do it!

Also where are you did you stay when you went to DL? I want to go for my birthday this July by I'm having no luck for budget hotels that are close to DL. I don't want to stay anywhere gross but I know it's just somewhere to crash......but I'd like to be able to walk to DL rather than depend on a bus to come and get us.
How COOL! To have a trip to WDW and then one at DL! I'm envious...and the new World of Colour is likely to be up and running by then. I've been keeping an eye on when this opens because if it coincides with when I'm back in LA, I'm going to have to go in and fight the crowds to see this Pixar water/light show!

I've stayed at Candy Cane Inn, which is very pretty and more like a moderate at WDW. CCI have their own bus that runs VERY promptly every half hour. You can walk there and back in about 5 - 10 minutes and at night, if you time it right with the bus, it may save you this little bit of walking.

I've also stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate, which is marginally further away. Without kids, it takes me about 10 minutes to walk to DL. Not a bad location as it is close to the Garden Walk and if you wanted to have dinner at a different location to DTD, this place has eateries like Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Bubba Gumps etc..and you'll be right across the road. The ART takes you to the back of RI; but we always walked. I like RI a lot.

Both places come with breakfast. CCI breakfast is continental; but RI comes with full hot breakfast.

I have also contemplated staying at HoJo...maybe next time.

Good luck with your DL plans and I'd love to know where you end up staying!

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 04-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #103
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Yay for being so close!

You are doing great with the weight loss...keep up the good work! I am sure you will see results soon, it just takes time!
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #104
heidispidi
Mouseketeer

I'm joining in on your planning here rather late - but better late than never, right? You answered my post re what to do besides DL while I'm there for a week in Jan, now it's my turn LOL.

A few things you've said on here have made me post. Firstly, my DH turned 45 today - so he's out of the 35 - 44 age bracket a year ahead of you! He and the kids are all at home on holidays today while I'm at work - though that's difficult to remember when I'm on here! Also my b'day is the day before yours, but I'm a smidge younger (OK, I"m turning 34!).

We are staying at Hojo in Jan, I'll let you know how that goes, if January EVR comes around!

Re the weight loss - good on you for making a start, and I'm sorry the results weren't there the 1st week. Extending your bike ride is a great thing to do, and just remember, if your heart rate is elevated, you'll burn calories - so don't be scared of riding up hills! Reducing carbs will help, this includes fruit as well as the usual pasta, rice, bread etc. If you like nuts, these are all good snacks, and the protein will help you stay fuller for longer. It's worked for me, and look at it this way, you will be fitter when you go to DL, and most likely more toned.

Better do some more work now. But I look forward to reading more about your trip

heidispidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #105
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
Yay for being so close!

You are doing great with the weight loss...keep up the good work! I am sure you will see results soon, it just takes time!
Thanks! I weigh in again on Monday. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidispidi View Post
I'm joining in on your planning here rather late - but better late than never, right? You answered my post re what to do besides DL while I'm there for a week in Jan, now it's my turn LOL.

A few things you've said on here have made me post. Firstly, my DH turned 45 today - so he's out of the 35 - 44 age bracket a year ahead of you! He and the kids are all at home on holidays today while I'm at work - though that's difficult to remember when I'm on here! Also my b'day is the day before yours, but I'm a smidge younger (OK, I"m turning 34!).

We are staying at Hojo in Jan, I'll let you know how that goes, if January EVR comes around!

Re the weight loss - good on you for making a start, and I'm sorry the results weren't there the 1st week. Extending your bike ride is a great thing to do, and just remember, if your heart rate is elevated, you'll burn calories - so don't be scared of riding up hills! Reducing carbs will help, this includes fruit as well as the usual pasta, rice, bread etc. If you like nuts, these are all good snacks, and the protein will help you stay fuller for longer. It's worked for me, and look at it this way, you will be fitter when you go to DL, and most likely more toned.

Better do some more work now. But I look forward to reading more about your trip
Welcome!! Always happy when someone else wants to join in my planning thought processes. I've been amused by you and Aust; both posting similar questions...
Thanks for the encouragement.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: