Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #31
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
According to the U.S. Census bureau, in 2009 the average American made $27,590.16 a YEAR. Would you take a job that paid $27,590.16 a MONTH plus tips? That's over $165,540 a year working long hours for 6 months a year, BEFORE tips. I sure would consider it.
Where are you coming up with $165,540 a year for 6 months a year, before tips?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #32
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
TV guy invented those figures using the analogy that many of the tipped CMs on board make as much in a month on the ship as they could make in a year in their home countries. He used that analogy and the average US annual salary to make his point.

That figure is far above what the average server on the ship makes. However, there in no question that for most CMs, the money made on the ship goes way farther in their home countries than it would in the US. Many are supporting families at home; others are saving for their "retirement" after their years on the ship! And the Disney credential on their resume will open other doors.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #33
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Comparing apples to apples. If Disney pays someone $100 a month base pay, , and a $100 is the annual average salary in their homeland, and they work six months, they earn six times what the annual average income it in their homeland (which is they are sending the money) BEFORE tips.

The average annual salary in the U.S. in 2009 was $27,590.16. Would an American consider a job that pays $27,590.16 a MONTH? 6 months salary at that rate is $165,540, ( 6 x $27,590.16) BEFORE tips.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #34
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
TV guy invented those figures using the analogy that many of the tipped CMs on board make as much in a month on the ship as they could make in a year in their home countries. He used that analogy and the average US annual salary to make his point.
Except, I didn't invent anything. Okay, I assumed Disney is paying $100 a month to their workers, and for some, that is equal to what the average worker in their home land makes per year.
The $27,590.16 IS what the average American made in 2009, so $100 for those workers would be similar to $27,590.16 for an American worker.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #35
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Comparing apples to apples. If Disney pays someone $100 a month base pay, , and a $100 is the annual average salary in their homeland, and they work six months, they earn six times what the annual average income it in their homeland (which is they are sending the money) BEFORE tips.

The average annual salary in the U.S. in 2009 was $27,590.16. Would an American consider a job that pays $27,590.16 a MONTH? 6 months salary at that rate is $165,540, ( 6 x $27,590.16) BEFORE tips.

I would take that since the $27k figure is I what I make in a year! Let me tell you- using the math that I posted before- a DCL server makes more a month just in tips than I do at my retail job where I don't receive tips! But don't feel sorry for me or the servers. We both knew what we were getting ourselves into when we accepted our positions!
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #36
Presentation
DIS Veteran

Something to keep in mind……the market is efficient.

Supply and demand have a natural way to sort things out.

Given the total compensation package including tips, Disney Cruise Line has absolutely no issue getting top tier applicants to the point where no position goes unfilled due to a shortage of quality applicants.

Applicants know that they will be spending months away from their family and Disney does not put a gun to their head to accept the jobs.

So the market has said the total compensation package is just fine to over compensated but its defiantly not undercompensated.
9 times on the Disney Magic 1999-2009
1 time on the Disney Wonder Jan 24 2010, take a tour of our room, the Roy O Disney suite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikICyvT5Ow
1 time on the Disney Dream March 27 2011
DHDWDD(15) DS(11) DD(7)
My 9 year old son's first youtube video about Lightning McQueen >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhWxstVKwg
If you have a youtube account could you please watch it or have one of your kids watch it and add a comment? Thank you.
Presentation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
pluto1979
DIS Veteran

I've worked on both ships and still work for the disney company. First, the contracts are always 8-to months long. Only under speacial circumstances are they less. Each tipped position pays approx. $1.75 to 2.75 plus tips.

When you compliment a Cast Member it goes into their perminant files and affects raises, commissions, promotions, etc. It always stays with them. same goes for bad comments. We love receiving them since it shows the work we do is making someone happy. These comments are also put into a raffle for prizes like an extra day off, points to use for buying items in their own stores below guest decks, things like that.

Always comment if you received good service and if you haven't. It makes a difference!

Be sure to follow my blog about my life as a Disney Cast Member!
Disney Dreamer & Magic Maker
http://www.disneycm.blogspot.com
pluto1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #38
clawmachine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaFamily View Post
We've enjoyed our cruises immensely and wanted to get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes.

The book, Cruise Confidential, is an entertaining read about the life onboard as a crew member. The book is about working on a Carnival ship but I'm sure there are many similarities.

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Confide...1&sr=8-1-spell

I had a much better appreciation for our servers after reading the book. The bottom line is that it's almost unheard of for an American to work these conditions.
I just want to thank you for recommending this book! I bought it from Amazon and had a hard time putting it down. I finished it today. It was great!
clawmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #39
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGrandmother View Post
This works out to between $10 to $13 dollars per hour. Not a great amount of money for leaving your home and family for 6 to 10 months at a time. The work is hard and the hours very long. One or two negative comments by a guest could get you demoted to asst server or not rehired at all. These servers deserve everything they get and more.
HOLY HANNA!! Thats more then I make an hour doing pretty much the same thing. I am active duty Navy and have made a few deployments and long underways away from home. Te longest I have ever spent at sea was 89days. Average is 30-42 days. They got to give us 2 beers if we are out 45days. Thats between port visits, not home. 6mo away from home is something I have done and will do again.

I ain't no mamby pamby officer neither. I work for a living.

Since I cannot add a link yet, do a google search for 2010 military pay chart.

Add an average of 2k to those numbers to cover BAH, BAH, Sea Pay and other pays. Still not much per month.
Mnemorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #40
sandals421
It is never to late to enjoy your childhood!

Quote:

That is assuming a lot, and only in the poorest of countries does that figure work. Also, remember that they have to pay for anything they use for clothing, toiletries, etc., and that is in USD.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #41
trasor
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbaggott
My friends daughter worked two years ago as a DCL Cast Member. Straight from her, she says: The tipped positions rely on the tips as their main income as they get paid VERY little by DCL (because those are tipped positions). Without the tips, they don't have much of an income at all. She worked as one of the entertainers, as a princess, and this is not a tipped position, so those people get paid a normal amount by DCL. Mentioning a cast member's name on the feedback froms in postive way, means those CM's get a good review, and perhaps they might be rewarded in some way, I'm not sure about that last point. I do know that it means a LOT to them!
Our server last fall, while explaining the feedback form to us, DID mention and her words were "if you think we did a good job, please mention us on the feedback, please help save our lives". I know she didn't mean that literally, but there was a certain amount of seriousness to that statement.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #42
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals421 View Post
That is assuming a lot, and only in the poorest of countries does that figure work. Also, remember that they have to pay for anything they use for clothing, toiletries, etc., and that is in USD.
You realize you resurrected a thread form a year and half ago?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #43
JD&LYD
Mouseketeer

Interesting thread. A few things I haven't noticed are the average annual incomes in a lot of the countries the CM's are from is way below poverty standards in the good ol' USA. Many in the $250-$1500 per year range. So if you can make that much in one 7 day cruise, well thats a no-brainer. As for the length of the contract, maybe thats why so many are so good at what they do and are so personable(sp) to us and our families. They are using us as surrogates for thier own familiesw. I say go ahead and use us up.. It seems to be a good system and i haven't heard complaints like they are being treated like indentured servents or anything.. Just my Opinion...

Cruises: Magic Eastern 2007, Magic Western 2008, Wonder 4 day Sept. 2008, Magic eastern (St.Croix) 2009.Magic Eastern 2012 Fantasy 2013
Coronado Springs 1999, Riverside 2003,French Quarter 2005, 2007. Saratoga 2008 2009 2011 2012 2013
JD&LYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #44
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The only problem with the calculation above is that it assumes a full section (which is 18, not 20), and that everyone tips at least the minimum (which per servers, doesn't happen). The "normal" seating is one 8 top, one 6 top, and one 4 top per serving team; 18 guests per seating. Yes, there are LOTS of variations based on guest requests, etc.

This info is a few years old, but it came from a trusted CM. Those in serving positions get $50 (not sure if that's per month or per check), room and board, "costumes," and health insurance while on the ship. They can extend the insurance for a very reasonable amount between contracts. In addition, they receive their transportation "all the way home" at the end of a contract as well as to begin the next contract. My server was very impressed that he was literally transported to his front door as it was far more costly than just the airfare to the nearest big city. They have to provide black shoes, off duty clothing, toiletries, personal laundry, and their initial transportation to Florida after hiring. Since the ship is not registered in the US and they are not US citizens, they are not subject to US withholding, wage and tax laws, etc. There is nothing held back for taxes; if their country collects taxes, that is their responsibility. They get a check every 2 weeks for their minimal salary and those tips which were charged. Yes, it can be a lot of money, especially for those who pay no taxes in their home countries, but it's also a lot of work. Many are supporting families back home. One CM told me that they actually collect about 3/4 of what they'd get if everyone tipped the recommended amount. Another said that it's not uncommon to have at least one table per sailing totally stiff them. However, as he pointed out, he was still getting 8 times as much as he could hope to earn at home, and he had no living expenses.

This applies only to "tipped" positions. People in non-tipped positions are paid an appropriate salary as well as room and board. Benefits are somewhat dependent on position; there is a way that officers can have family sail with them either in their living space or in guest cabins. Non-officers also get benefits of guests sailing at no charge in some situations.

Positive comments "buy" all sorts of things--4 hours extra shore leave, a "good" schedule on the next cruise (yes, they feel some schedules are better than others), notation in their employment record which influences promotions, etc. The same thing happens when a guest requests a server or assistant; a certain number of requests = extra shore time. I know this because a CM thanked me for requesting him and explained that he got time off while in port because of it! Bad comments (repeatedly) will result in a contract not being renewed.

There is a HUGE "promote from within" program. We see people who we initially met in low positions (one assistant server, one stateroom host) who are now high ranking officers! Granted, that didn't happen overnight, but it happened. There is an official training program--an assistant server can apply to the program and be trained to be a server. It involves OTJ training, but also a written test, etc. The move to head server is HUGE as it involves a lot of safety and allergy issues. Essentially every CM we've talked to has confirmed that if you want to work hard and do a good job, you can go far in DCL. Many are encouraging their friends to apply now as with the new ships, there is a large hiring/training program in effect.
Just back from a CCL cruise and found out that there servers and stateroom hosts have to pay their own way home and back for the new contract. That makes DCL extremely generous. I was told some could have to pay $1500 to get home. Our stateroom host had 27 ROOMS but did have an assistant in the mornings. So I think they work extra hard on that ship but also make more too.

I don't know how many their servers normally have but our server had 26 people! 2 8 tops and a 10 top. He had been on the ship for 20 years so obviously it was worth it to him or he would not still be doing it. We honestly did not get to talk to him because he was so busy so that is all I know about him. Service was not what we would have wanted but we had wonderful table mates that we enjoyed spending time with so we did not mind that our dinner took 2 hours every night. It was not because he was not working his behind off.

I never even got time to tell him he should go work at DCL!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #45
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You realize you resurrected a thread form a year and half ago?

Why does that matter? The people who are reading it may be for the first time and may not have read anything on this topic before so it is new to them.

I don't understand why sometimes people have to make comments that seem to be putting down another poster.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: