Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #1201
flamestarrdust
DIS Veteran
 
flamestarrdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny45 View Post
We are staying at POP in the 70's building facing the lake since I remember our last visit there were many DSA's along the lake. DH is a smoker and this way he can just walk right out the door and down to the lake. Last time we were in the 80's bldg and he either went to the lake or to the laundry bldg by the Computer Pool.

Most of the DSA's located in the parks are in very nice out of the way area's and he never felt put out by having to go to these places to smoke. They were very pretty, nicely landscaped areas.
Thanks for posting this info about POP. We are staying there in August and my DFiance is a smoker so now I know what kind of room to request to make it easier on him.
__________________
Me 35 DH 35 DD 15 DD 15 Grandma Daisuki



AUGUST 2010 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post38036065
AUGUST 2010 PTR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36865082
JULY 4th 2006 Cali Grill Event! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157941[/SIZE][[/SIZE][/SIZE]
flamestarrdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #1202
krbq
DIS Veteran
 
krbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
My main concern in the Parks is finding th DSAs !! I wish they would label them and sign them !!! I frequently had to ask a CM !!!
I totally agree, and so would DH if he were here right now. There are fewer of them each time we go, they're harder to find, and always crowded. Many don't have seating of any kind. At the one near the Tower of Terror I counted 19 people standing around the ashtray.

The problem with asking a CM is that most of them don't know themselves. The ones holding a broom and dustpan usually know for sure.
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #1203
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!
 
kaffinito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Way Too Far North
Posts: 6,303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Agreed, but not for 2 weeks twice a day. I know I'm exaggerating but if that is classified as a balanced diet, so is my coffe in the left hand and cigarette in the right .....
Well I have the opposite diet. Coffee in the right hand and cigarette in the left...

I don't smoke in my house either, or in the car, or in restaurants... You get the picture. You will probably like POP. There are a lot of DSA's around, and it's fairly easy to get to one no matter where you are staying at the resort.
__________________
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post43546405 Me DS19 DS11 Zolly Claire Silo Schtunky Jack Anya (Onion) Mushka [/B] Thanks JanetB, KOOK and Pas130! GO LIONS!!!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #1204
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito
Well I have the opposite diet. Coffee in the right hand and cigarette in the left...
Nope. I'm with 2Tiggies. Left hand coffee, right hand cigarette. It's all about the balance! The ONLY valid explanation for using alternate hands is if you're smoking and coffeeing* while driving - then, yes, you need your right hand for the cup because that's where the cup holder is, and your left hand to flick ashes out the window BUT NOT THE CIGARETTE BUTT. When we responsible smokers are through with a cigarette, we momentarily replace the coffee mug, safely switch the cigarette to the right hand, and extinguish the butt completely in the ashtray

Quote:
Well I have the opposite diet. Coffee in the right hand and cigarette in the left...
My favorite DSA at Pop is the (non-smoker-detested) one to the right, just outside the back main entrance of Classic Hall. My favorite quiet DSA is, well, either of the two near the back of building five, facing the lake. They're about 75 or 100 feet apart, and one is 'considered' close to 70's building 6 - and it it, sort of, but if you're near the core of that building, it's still kind of a hike. Anyway, ANY of the designated smoking areas around the lake are pretty quiet. Not unsafely so, and I certainly wouldn't ask for a security escort in the middle of the night so I could smoke...
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #1205
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 19,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
The ONLY valid explanation for using alternate hands is if you're smoking and coffeeing* while driving - then, yes, you need your right hand for the cup because that's where the cup holder is, and your left hand to flick ashes out the window BUT NOT THE CIGARETTE BUTT.
Smoking, coffeeing and driving at the same time? That is taking multi-tasking to a whole new level!!! My limit is 2 things at once.

I agree about the butt going the wrong way when in the wrong hand. I vividly recall a trip home very late one night and screaming to my friend "My pants are on fire!!!" Enough said.

Quote:
Not unsafely so, and I certainly wouldn't ask for a security escort in the middle of the night so I could smoke...
Although if security is looking particularly good that night .......
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #1206
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 12,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
There isn't any such thread, as far as I know - but you might want to Google California's smoking laws. They're MUCH more restrictive than most other states, overall. This would be entirely a guess, but I would say that no, you cannot smoke in/on the structure of any hotel, motel, resort, or similar facility in California.
I stayed at the Super 8 on Katella near Disneyland August 2008, and I had a smoking room.

I just went to WyndamRewards.com and looked at several hotels less than a mile from Disneyland, and while most were all nonsmoking, there are a few that still have smoking rooms.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #1207
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,622

Flamestarrdust: while it's true there are DSAs along the lake, the 70s section has NO DSA in the middle. I suggest the 50's request the bldg by the lake. then you have a couple DSAs along the lake, PLUS the one in the middle (courtyard) it is between the bowling pin pool and the main pool/food court area. (the bowling pin pool is just as big as the fantasia pool) request ground floor or 2nd floor (since one flight of stairs is no biggie). If you have to wait for an elevator just to smoke, it is a pain!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #1208
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies
Although if security is looking particularly good that night .......
Okay, not smoking-related (well, it is, technically, since I always get a smoking room at ths particular hotel )...
I'm short, and have arthritis and other lower joint issues. I have a favorite hotel in Las Vegas. Three years ago, I checked in there for two nights (not important to the story, but I stayed at three different hotels owned by the same company - one free for one night, this one pretty cheap for two, and the third costing in-between for the last four).

Anyway, in the year since my prior visit, they'd replaced all their mattresses with pillow-tops. VERY nice - but I couldn't get into the bed!! I tried pulling over the desk chair; that didn't work. I thought about using the coffee table but wasn't sure of its sturdiness. That first night, I slept on the love seat - being short can be an advantage! - but heck, if I wanted to sleep on a couch on vacation, I could have stayed in someone's living room!

So in the morning, I called housekeeping and asked if they had any kind of stool or ladder I could use. No. Then I called the front desk. The 'solution' from the first person with whom I spoke? "Call Security when you're ready to go to sleep, and they'll send someone up to help you into bed". Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, at the time I was too shocked to think about WHO they'd send, or if I could request a specific 'look' . On the other hand, my needing to get up every couple of hours - requiring repeated calls to Security for help getting back into bed - WASN'T doing to work!

I was smart. I called the front desk again. I spoke with someone who, I hope, has deservedly advanced in the company. HIS solution? He called maintenance. In twenty minutes, two men appeared at my door with a "new" (old) mattress - one that put the bed at a height I could access entirely on my own ("Look, ma! I can get into bed ALL BY MYSELF!" ). Five minutes after that, the housekeeping supervisor was at my door, telling me people would be up with a mattress as soon as possible. They beat her to it!

Oh, the other thing that second desk clerk did for me? He called over to the 'sister' hotel and arranged for the same bedding swap. My accessible bed was ready for me when I got to the hotel.

note: the first hotel hadn't upgraded the bedding, so it wasn't an issue there.
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #1209
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Okay, not smoking-related (well, it is, technically, since I always get a smoking room at ths particular hotel )...
I'm short, and have arthritis and other lower joint issues. I have a favorite hotel in Las Vegas. Three years ago, I checked in there for two nights (not important to the story, but I stayed at three different hotels owned by the same company - one free for one night, this one pretty cheap for two, and the third costing in-between for the last four).

Anyway, in the year since my prior visit, they'd replaced all their mattresses with pillow-tops. VERY nice - but I couldn't get into the bed!! I tried pulling over the desk chair; that didn't work. I thought about using the coffee table but wasn't sure of its sturdiness. That first night, I slept on the love seat - being short can be an advantage! - but heck, if I wanted to sleep on a couch on vacation, I could have stayed in someone's living room!

So in the morning, I called housekeeping and asked if they had any kind of stool or ladder I could use. No. Then I called the front desk. The 'solution' from the first person with whom I spoke? "Call Security when you're ready to go to sleep, and they'll send someone up to help you into bed". Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, at the time I was too shocked to think about WHO they'd send, or if I could request a specific 'look' . On the other hand, my needing to get up every couple of hours - requiring repeated calls to Security for help getting back into bed - WASN'T doing to work!

I was smart. I called the front desk again. I spoke with someone who, I hope, has deservedly advanced in the company. HIS solution? He called maintenance. In twenty minutes, two men appeared at my door with a "new" (old) mattress - one that put the bed at a height I could access entirely on my own ("Look, ma! I can get into bed ALL BY MYSELF!" ). Five minutes after that, the housekeeping supervisor was at my door, telling me people would be up with a mattress as soon as possible. They beat her to it!

Oh, the other thing that second desk clerk did for me? He called over to the 'sister' hotel and arranged for the same bedding swap. My accessible bed was ready for me when I got to the hotel.

note: the first hotel hadn't upgraded the bedding, so it wasn't an issue there.
OMG!!! and the merry mix-ups that ensue:
"katieelder is arrested for 'soliciting' a 6'2" Italian type escort". he tells his "coworkers" .."all this crazy lady wanted was for me to PUT her in bed.. nothing else..weird."
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #1210
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night
 
KimRaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,627

Re: POP - I've been told from several questionings, to ask for 50s, 1st floor, bldg 3 OR 60s bldg 5 facing the lake. NO CLUE if that will help ANY other smokers, or me for that matter, but that's what I was told via DIS friends.
__________________
~Kim~

KimRaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #1211
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!
 
kaffinito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Way Too Far North
Posts: 6,303

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Nope. I'm with 2Tiggies. Left hand coffee, right hand cigarette. It's all about the balance! The ONLY valid explanation for using alternate hands is if you're smoking and coffeeing* while driving - then, yes, you need your right hand for the cup because that's where the cup holder is, and your left hand to flick ashes out the window BUT NOT THE CIGARETTE BUTT.

My favorite DSA at Pop is the (non-smoker-detested) one to the right, just outside the back main entrance of Classic Hall.
Ahh, but to ME the coffee is in the right and the cig is in the left. Smoking handedness should count as subjective, shouldn't it?

I love that DSA! Grab the morning coffee and go join the smoking gang. It made for nice mornings at POP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Smoking, coffeeing and driving at the same time? That is taking multi-tasking to a whole new level!!! My limit is 2 things at once.

Although if security is looking particularly good that night .......
__________________
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post43546405 Me DS19 DS11 Zolly Claire Silo Schtunky Jack Anya (Onion) Mushka [/B] Thanks JanetB, KOOK and Pas130! GO LIONS!!!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #1212
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 19,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRaye View Post
Re: POP - I've been told from several questionings, to ask for 50s, 1st floor, bldg 3 OR 60s bldg 5 facing the lake. NO CLUE if that will help ANY other smokers, or me for that matter, but that's what I was told via DIS friends.
Well you be sure to let us know when you get back! How long are you going for (just looking at your signature)?

One thing about the DSA's is all the wonderful people you meet. I have had such good conversations with people at the benches. I do think smokers are more sociable.
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:56 AM   #1213
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night
 
KimRaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Well you be sure to let us know when you get back! How long are you going for (just looking at your signature)?
11 nights!
__________________
~Kim~

KimRaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #1214
sunny45
Mouseketeer
 
sunny45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 311

It is sad to hear that the DSA's in the parks seem to be disappearing.

Our last visit was Sept 2007 and I don't recall there being any problem with looking at the map and finding that the DSA's were where they were suppose to be.

DH is the smoker and he will not be too happy if he cannot smoke when he gets to the DSA and it's not there.

Hopefully by our next visit in December the maps will be correct.

As far as POP did a PP say the DSA by the 70's bldg at the lake is no longer there?
__________________
Sunny
1976 offsite w/ cousins
1998 May Offsite (DH & DD's)
2001 Feb Caribbean Beach (DH & DD's)
2003 Aug Yacht Club (DH & DD's)
2007 Sept POP Century-25th anniversary-DH&I
2010 Dec POP 2 rooms (DH & adult DD's)
2013 Sept Disneyland (DH & I)
sunny45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #1215
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 19,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny45 View Post
It is sad to hear that the DSA's in the parks seem to be disappearing.

Hopefully by our next visit in December the maps will be correct.
I am less bothered about them having fewer DSAs in the parks than I am about them not corresponding with the park maps. I tend not to take time out to go and smoke very often while touring. So when I decide I want one it is absolutely infuriating to go from one place to the next only to discover that the DSA indicated on the map has either been moved or removed completly. I know they have to wait until the next batch of maps are printed and probably have a stock pile of millions to use before the new ones come in, but you would think that in the meantime they would put a sign in the old DSA advising where to go for the nearest alternative. Even supermarkets do that when they change things around.

And off topic (kind of) I am still chuckling 2 days later about Katieeldr's front desk solution to the bed height problem.
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: