Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #316
kathleendsm
Mouseketeer

I don't know, a child straining at a harness doesn't really seem different to me than a child straining against his or her parent's hand holding, or a child crying and straining at the harness of a stroller. Kids just do that sometimes regardless of the manner you choose to confine them.

And it's funny, I see so many people here complain that all the kids at WDW are in strollers, they're kept in strollers for too long, Americans don't let their kids walk and exercise. And yet these parents who choose to use a harness are vilified too. Tell me, what's the right answer?

I know I'll be in WDW confining my special needs 2 year old into a soft structured carrier worn on my back. I wonder if I'll be criticized for that?

Upcoming:
February 2014: Princess Half at AKL!

2013 - BLT, AKL, Dream, POR * 2012 - BLT, BWV * 2011 - AKV, BWV * 2010 - BWV * 2003 - Offsite * 2000 - Offsite * 1999 - WL * 1995 - Dixie Landings (POR) * 1992 - CBR * 1987 - CR * 1984 - CR *1980 - CR
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #317
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Okay .... this whole dog post is off topic.... I love my dog. I really, really do. I also crate him when he is out of control and feed him from a bowl off the floor. I do leash him as it is a city ordinance. I would prefer not to have to.

But there is no, I repeat NO comparison to losing a pet to losing a child. Yes I would be sad about losing the dog (in fact we lost one this past summer that brought me to my knees with pain) but you know what.... that pain fades pretty quickly. In fact you can buy a new dog to replace it. Someone will NEVER recover from losing a child.

It really blows my mind when people compare their pets to other peoples children like they are one in the same.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #318
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post

But there is no, I repeat NO comparison to losing a pet to losing a child. Yes I would be sad about losing the dog (in fact we lost one this past summer that brought me to my knees with pain) but you know what.... that pain fades pretty quickly. In fact you can buy a new dog to replace it. Someone will NEVER recover from losing a child.
Umm, my dogs are not replaceable! They have personalities all their own. One dog does not replace another, imho. I still morn one who died 5 years ago. I have new dogs, but they in no way take the place of the one I lost.

I do think that if you want to use a leash to keep you child safe, then you should. But please don't be like the twit in the mall today that had a leash on her daughter, but wasn't holding on to it. The girl would take off, the mom would chase her down, and then the girls would scream her lungs out when mom grabbed her and picked her up. They did this in front of my department multiple times. I wanted to go up to the mom and say "Maybe if you held onto the other end your leash would work!" Ding dong.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #319
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

No but if I love my dog enough to leash her so she does not run off after a cat and get hit by a car then I love my child enough to harness her if I feel we are in a place where she might get lost in the shuffle or wander off.

I raised both my dog and my child to behave and not run off but I can't say for 100% certainty that neither of them will. Will I harness my child on an everyday outing, no. Will I harness her in a place where at closing time there is a mad stampede for the exit where thousands don't care who is walking with who and just push anyone aside? Well no I will carry her then but WDW is very crowded and I feel better at certain times having my child on a harness.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #320
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Okay .... this whole dog post is off topic.... I love my dog. I really, really do. I also crate him when he is out of control and feed him from a bowl off the floor. I do leash him as it is a city ordinance. I would prefer not to have to.

It really blows my mind when people compare their pets to other peoples children like they are one in the same.

Disneyworld? Whenever the urge strikes (most weekends now!)
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #321
mking624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Umm, my dogs are not replaceable! They have personalities all their own. One dog does not replace another, imho. I still morn one who died 5 years ago. I have new dogs, but they in no way take the place of the one I lost.
I can totally understand what you mean about your pets. It's really hard to lose them and I have sobbed when one of my pets have died. They DO have personalities of their own and they are so individual. You'll never have one exactly like another.

But I really don't think the comment was meant like that. I am a huge animal lover and advocate...but at the end of the day, my son and soon to be born daughter have more value and they come before my pets. And I've suffered a miscarriage in the past and the pain of that was so much worse than the pain of losing one of my pets. It just doesn't even compare. So personally, I don't appreciate the comparison of an animal to my child or that I'd be treating my child like an animal because I don't have the same parenting method like others. Does that make sense?

I AM sorry for your loss...it's hard to lose our furbabies.
; 9/07 - PC, free dining, & MNSSHP;
11/08 - PC & MVMCP
; 6/09 - AKV; 9/10 - POFQ & free dining
9/11 - POFQ, free dining & NOJ/MNSSHP; 10/11 - ASMu & Halloween 5K; 4/12 - Disneyland;
11/12 - ASMu, free dining, and Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon; 5/13 - Disneyland/GC; 5/14 - AKV/PC
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #322
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking624 View Post
Many children resist any form of discipline or child-rearing at first, and some continue it during their teen rebellion years. So are you just gonna look for a reason not to do any of those either? We get it, some parents don't care for the harnesses and won't use them. Great for them, no one is saying you're required to use these. But knock off the judgment and STOP comparing them to dogs.
Would you like me to tell you to STOP putting a leash on your child? No, then don't tell me to stop comparing them. It's my opinion.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #323
mking624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
Would you like me to tell you to STOP putting a leash on your child? No, then don't tell me to stop comparing them. It's my opinion.
Is it really THAT difficult for you to be respectful and agree to disagree?
; 9/07 - PC, free dining, & MNSSHP;
11/08 - PC & MVMCP
; 6/09 - AKV; 9/10 - POFQ & free dining
9/11 - POFQ, free dining & NOJ/MNSSHP; 10/11 - ASMu & Halloween 5K; 4/12 - Disneyland;
11/12 - ASMu, free dining, and Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon; 5/13 - Disneyland/GC; 5/14 - AKV/PC
Old 03-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #324
Cosmo.Kramer
The jerk store called...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
But there's still not the same...

Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #325
yarlenna
Mouseketeer

Wow, this thing has a life of it's own. We were asked our option. For me, I would have no problem with a child on lead - or whatever you call them. Disney is wonderful for children - but they fly like a bullet. I hope that whatever way the parents keep their children safe is a great thing. That is just my opion.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #326
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I know this and we got a new dog same breed different color. Different dog. Totally. The girls still inquire frequently about the old dog.

However ~ we did buy a new dog. You can't just go out and buy a new child. I never really understood the weight of the words I love you until I felt them for my children. The feeling no where nears the feelings for my dog. Maybe I am a bad pet owner.

Family pet is not equal to a child in my book. Sorry never will be.

Okay ~ back to your leash debate.

Just for the record (again) in case people aren't reading all the posts. Here's how I fall on it:

I don't do it.
I don't care if you do.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #327
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
I am not so quick to pass judgement now. All we can do is do our best to keep our kids safe and happy, and if using a tether makes that happen then so be it!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #328
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleendsm View Post
Tell me, what's the right answer?
When it's a matter of opinion, there are no "right" answers. This is one of those topics.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #329
danny1649
Will be wearing some lime green
I just love to dance
Armed with this information I might be able to out score DW for once

DISboards Moderator

I Think

That this thread has become to personaland it is time to close it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: