Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #1561
jaurban
DIS Veteran

Any info on height requirements/restrictions? What about motion issues? We are going to WDW in August with another family and thought we might take a day for this, but if the kids will not make the height, or if it is too scary (confined by a harness, or something) we might not want to mention this. They are 10, 8 and 7 (and a baby that I am sure can't go of course...). They are over 48" (but not 52" for at least one of them). Looks like a motion sick inducing thing for me though (iMax gives me issues), so DH would have to take them.

Disneyland 1976 & 1979;WDW offsite 1987 & 1989
BC & AKL Dec. 2006;SSR Oct. 2007;VWL August 2008;VWL October 2009;Poly & Wonder April 2010, VGC May 2010, BLT August 2010, Magic Nov. 2010, Wonder March 2011 MR, VWL & Dream June 2011, VGC April 2012, P.C.C. 3.0 June 2012, BLT, the Dream and VWL July 2013
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #1562
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWtch View Post
I was told by a Universal rep to not book the original May 28 package b/c I'm a passholder. So, I just booked a regular room off-site since I was going down that weekend anyway. Now I'm a little upset that I might not get to see the HP stuff and that's the only weekend I can get down there for quite awhile. I hope they do some soft openings or something or people are going to be mad that weekend.
Yes, a lot of passholders will be ticked if this is the case. I can't see them turning away their passholders over people who just bought a one time package.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #1563
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaurban View Post
Any info on height requirements/restrictions? What about motion issues? We are going to WDW in August with another family and thought we might take a day for this, but if the kids will not make the height, or if it is too scary (confined by a harness, or something) we might not want to mention this. They are 10, 8 and 7 (and a baby that I am sure can't go of course...). They are over 48" (but not 52" for at least one of them). Looks like a motion sick inducing thing for me though (iMax gives me issues), so DH would have to take them.
About the only things we know about the Forbidden Journey is it's a 48" height requirement and the whole attaction will take about an hour...queue and all. Hopefully more details will be released but I think Universal is trying to keep that under wraps until opening.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #1564
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

are they doing an actual press conference or webcast at noon? Any one have a link to where I can listen, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #1565
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog58 View Post
are they doing an actual press conference or webcast at noon? Any one have a link to where I can listen, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I don't think so. At least it hasn't been posted anywhere.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #1566
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I don't think so. At least it hasn't been posted anywhere.
Ok, thanks!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #1567
eddiemcgarrigle
Mouseketeer

So much for a spring opening, June is the blooming summer. Oh well, here's hoping for a lot of soft openings throughout May.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #1568
IndianaSPEED
Earning My Ears

I still can't picture what the Forbidden Journey ride will be. A motion-robotic ride similar to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom or will it be a roller coaster with a robotic arm swinging you up and down inside a big video dome? What darn ride technology are we talking about here!! <LOL! Any pictures or actual videos of the ride itself and not just of exaggerated descriptions?

I'm not a big Harry Potter fan but I want to know all about the actual ride and not just its themes. Any "real" details announced yet?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #1569
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSPEED View Post
I still can't picture what the Forbidden Journey ride will be. A motion-robotic ride similar to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom or will it be a roller coaster with a robotic arm swinging you up and down inside a big video dome? What darn ride technology are we talking about here!! <LOL! Any pictures or actual videos of the ride itself and not just of exaggerated descriptions?

I'm not a big Harry Potter fan but I want to know all about the actual ride and not just its themes. Any "real" details announced yet?
This is what Universal says:

Quote:
The Innovation

This is more than just an attraction and it is unlike any theme park experience ever created. It's a revolutionary, 360-degree theme park experience and first-ever combination of live-action, advanced robotic technology and innovative filmmaking - specially designed and developed for this brand-new adventure.

"We have created an entirely new way to place our guests into the heart of one of the most compelling stories of our time," said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. "What we have done will forever change the theme park attraction experience."

The attraction's newly created ride system envelops guests in filmed action scenes and moves those scenes with them as they travel through the ride, allowing more time in the center of the adventure and with their favorite characters. This fusion of robotic technology and filmed scenes has never been achieved until now. In some cases, technology had to be invented to achieve the highest level of guest experience. The combination of pioneering, state-of-the-art technology, innovative filmmaking and surprises around every corner make this attraction the embodiment of the Harry Potter book and film series-and the future of theme park entertainment.
More here: http://media.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/news.php
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #1570
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

So we know there will be a Kuka robot arm, similar to the one at Epcot right now in the new Sum of All Thrills attraction, but bigger...there will be domed screens, but those are not going to be the only thing on the ride, there will, I believe, be plenty of real scenes, including some very large things.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #1571
Thumper_Man's Wife
DIS Veteran

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201003/1818/

The link above gives a little more detail into what the Forbidden Journey will be about. It gives the same YouTube video on the scenes the actors are filming for the ride, but talks about how this is possibly an hour long ride from start to finish as it begins when you first enter Hogwarts.

Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland

We Hopped All The Way To Disneyland Just For Some Dis Meets
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #1572
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man's Wife View Post
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201003/1818/

The link above gives a little more detail into what the Forbidden Journey will be about. It gives the same YouTube video on the scenes the actors are filming for the ride, but talks about how this is possibly an hour long ride from start to finish as it begins when you first enter Hogwarts.
The ride isn't an hour long, the experience from entering to the end is an hour long...including walking through a massive queue which people can visit without going on the ride.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1573
audeodream
Earning My Ears

I am so disappointed!!!

I just got off the phone with universal after a 1/2 hour (transfer-to-department-to-department nightmare). I had reservations for June 10th (received a pin from Universal) and was told initially that the park would not be open to the general public at that time. So after being transferred to 3 different departments I came away with the information that without purchasing a package that I would not be able to get into the park. She then told me that unless I had a package for June 18th and beyond I was not guaranteed entry;I was extremely frustrated and canceled the reservation. I've never been to Universal before we are true Disney fans and this was a horrible introduction to Universal and I had yet to set foot on the property. I spoke with a supervisor and she told me that they were honoring the packages sold for during the May 28th ad but that no others would be allowed in until the June 18th date. She did let me know that after June 18th everyone will be let in and that you do not have to purchase a package to do so. I was able to breath a little easier at that time (I was dreading telling my 10ds who is a Harry Potter fanatic that we were not going) and she was able to make reservations for me at a later date honoring my original pin.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #1574
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

The main website has been updated to say Grand Opening June 18th. no news as to non-official openings.

We can only go May 23rd - May 27th. Before the first package offering. Still trying to determine if we should keep our HRH hotel ressies or just give in and go to Cedar Point.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #1575
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

Hey just noticed an update to the booking a package option. It now says.

"Vacation offer valid for travel 6/18 – 12/31/2010"

Looks like they have backed up the Harry Potter packages a bit.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: