Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ringmaster View Post
If all else fails, tell him to search for "flash mountain" in google images

Definatly proof it's not just for kids
Oh my goodness!
YukiPhnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Chris Rex
Earning My Ears

Just to add another vote...

Married in Disney, but without the characters/ cutesy things normally associated with Disney. We like the Parks and general area but have no real interest in the 'princess stuff', as we call it ;-) Been down there many times since, without kids. We love it.
I would really steer him towards Epcot and the Food and Wine fest.
Just steer him away from the "Lilo and Stitch" ride.

Come to think of it, steer everyone away from the Lilo and Stitch ride... what a piece of c**p.

We usually try to go down in September/October to coincide with the free Dining/Food and Wine Fest offers. Free dining gets me every time.
If someone offered to drop me in the middle of Idaho and give me free high-end meals all week, I would gladly go there on vacation. The rides at the parks and the sights at Epcot are icing on the cake.
No offense to the people from Idaho intended...

He reminds me of my wife before the first time we went (albeit not anatomically); she was 'ehhhhhhhh' about it. Now she loves it more than I.

-Chris
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
CinRell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rex View Post
Just to add another vote...

Married in Disney, but without the characters/ cutesy things normally associated with Disney. We like the Parks and general area but have no real interest in the 'princess stuff', as we call it ;-) Been down there many times since, without kids. We love it.
I would really steer him towards Epcot and the Food and Wine fest.
Just steer him away from the "Lilo and Stitch" ride.

Come to think of it, steer everyone away from the Lilo and Stitch ride... what a piece of c**p.

We usually try to go down in September/October to coincide with the free Dining/Food and Wine Fest offers. Free dining gets me every time.
If someone offered to drop me in the middle of Idaho and give me free high-end meals all week, I would gladly go there on vacation. The rides at the parks and the sights at Epcot are icing on the cake.
No offense to the people from Idaho intended...

He reminds me of my wife before the first time we went (albeit not anatomically); she was 'ehhhhhhhh' about it. Now she loves it more than I.

-Chris
Good thought.. he hates the smell.. taste.. texture.. EVERYTHING of onion.. stitch would NOT go over well.

I've been twice on adult only trips and they were GREAT but I'm a big kid (at 34) and LOVE the characters, IASW, parades.. so when I start talking about disney suddenly I can see why it doesn't seem desirable to him...

Thanks all for the replies!!!!

F&W festival = GREAT Idea
Old 03-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
buena vista
DIS Veteran

Hey Cindy!

There's so much I could say on this topic - I was once very skeptical about Disneyworld. I'd been to Disneyland CA when I was in college, and while I loved that experience I couldn't imagine spending an entire week vacationing at "Disney". My ex at the time had been to WDW and knew far better than I that there was more to the experience than just the Magic Kingdom "amusement" park, which I think is how many of the "uninitiated" vision WDW. I know that's how I saw it. I had no idea there was so much else to the experience. I'll just list some of what I discovered both on my first trip to WDW and since then.

Dining - WDW has some amazing dining experiences that any foodie would appreciate. The range of options is staggering. If he likes to eat, the dining options at WDW offer endless delights!

Golf - If he's a golfer, the courses at WDW are world class, as is the service. It can be pricey during the "high" season, but there are discounts for afternoon play and it's fairly reasonable when you consider the quality of the experience and the comps elsewhere. There are few places in this country where you can stay and play on a PGA Tour course. The Palm and Magnolia offer any golf fan the opportunity to do just that.

Pools - Most of us like to relax by the pool on vacation, and except for a very brief part of the year, the pool experience at Disney is an absolute must! There's little better than being able to return to your hotel and enjoy some pool time to refresh yourself during the height of the afteroon before heading back out for some evening fun.

Asthetics/Attention to detail - Disney takes great care in virtually everything they do. The Disney experience isn't inexpensive, but for my money, there's a lot of value in the virtually guaranteed high quality of the experience. It's a 24/7production, and aside from public safety and comfort, the "show" is the most important thing that they do. All of your senses are treated to an asthetic masterpiece each and every moment of the day. Flowers are everywhere, architectural design is not only thematic but pleasing, and music (that comes from everywhere and nowhere) plays at the correct volume and helps set the stage for the visual show, whether in a resort setting or a theme park.

Theming & Parks - You don't have to buy into the "Magic" or the character thing to enjoy Disney. Magic to one person might simply be unparalleled customer service or stage performance to another. WDW offers world class entertainment each and every day, and their adult rides and attractions are among the most thrilling around. Even their "queuing" or waitline management is well thought out and includes entertainment and education. Bottom line, the parks are more than just Fantasyland and certainly more than just for kids and families.

Like any other vacation experience, a WDW vacation is what you make of it. Disney does a great job of setting the stage and offering world class customer service to help you have a fabulous time. If your BF loves being with you, I can't imagine he wouldn't enjoy being with you there.

Good luck Cin!!!!
Disneyland 1983, 1994, 2005; CBR 1992; POFQ 1993; OKW 1994-2003 multiple times; CSR 1998; BWV 1999; SSR May 2006; OKW April 2007 & 2008; POFQ - September 2008; off-site December 2008. OKW March 2009; POP May 2009, off-site July 2009, off-site December 2009, January 2010, BWV May 2010, off-site September 2010, December 2010, February 2011 OKW, December 2011 SSR
buena vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGoldblum View Post
Here I am having a blast on Dumbo:

Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #21
faumann2008
Earning My Ears

Get a Park Hopper pass and have fun. It's so for adults too.

Magic Kingdom is for adults but does tend to get more attention from the little kids than the adults. I recommend park hopper because if you're an animal fan you should check out Animal Kingdom or if you're a big time movie fan try out Disney's Hollywood Studios. Lots of stuff there for us big kids.

Epcot finishes off the evening well. If you've done the other three parks before you'll probably hit your favorites and have time to see a little bit of the world. Take one of the ferries and enjoy some of the best restaurants in Epcot like the one in Italy or France. Add in Illuminations at night and it's a romantic evening for two.

"Debbie: A word of advice, my sweet Emmett, mourn the losses because they are many. But celebrate the victories because they are few." Queer As Folk
"So speak up, America. Speak up for the home of the brave. Speak up for the land of the free gift with purchase. Speak up, America!" Legally Blonde 2
"Hold your dreams. Don't ever let it go. Be yourself. And let the world take notice." Fame. "Remember my name."
http://neweraofmatthewmatthews.blogspot.com/
faumann2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #22
CinRell
DIS Veteran

I know he'd LOVE Epcot... both guys I've taken in the past (and this was 5+ years ago and 10+ years ago) loved Epcot most (again, big kid that i am.. MK is my fav BY FAR and I'd be content going there and nowhere else the entire trip haha!).. there's a lot he'd love.

Here's the issue. Mind you, these are NOT my views... my bf is a union guy. He refuses to go into Walmart and prefer I never tell him when I do. He is a Republican (I am not) and for the most part hates corporate america and feels they "stick it to the man"....

SO..... that being said.... (and trust me he's a great guy... Tom you know I wouldn't date a "bad guy"... he just has his beliefs)... he sees Disney at this point as a corporation who does everything to exploit money from people. I know we've all heard SOMEONE go off on that tangent at one point, being the disney fanatics that we are.

He is also a Nascar fan (no he's not the redneck I'm making him sound to be LOL!).... I was thinking.. if it weren't so darn $$ we could do the riding experience.... but that wasn't my point. My point is I agreed to go to one of his races and do it like he does.. camp out (ew).. port-o-potty it (*gag*)... because I "just know he'll do disney like I do"... LOL! In other words try my thing I'll try yours. But I don't want him to just go to appease me.. I want him to love it! I just have to get past the whole "no.. disney is not for kids. And no... they aren't money grubbers who nickle and dime everything".....

So.. that is my struggle... just a bit more insight as to what I'm dealing with.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Man sized cupcake...

Beer Flight (don't mind the terrible picture of me)...

Boston Whaler around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon...

Last edited by DaisyLynn; 04-26-2010 at 09:50 AM.
DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRell View Post

But I don't want him to just go to appease me.. I want him to love it! I just have to get past the whole "no.. disney is not for kids. And no... they aren't money grubbers who nickle and dime everything".....
My DH (who was DBF at the time) went, the first time, to appease me. He now loves it about 75% as much as I do - which is pretty great, really. I felt guilty that he was taking his vacation to make me happy and not doing what he wanted to do - so I decided that I'd pay for nearly everything and really just show him a great time. And guess what...he had a fantastic time! We did a package with the dining plan, barely paid anything out of pocket, and spent a carefree week in Disney.

We have since gone on other trips (as well as Disney) and we still both agree that Disney is the best value for our vacation dollars, time and time again.

I guess the point of this post is, I was kind of in your same boat a few years ago - and it wasn't until I was able to get him there did he learn to love it.

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
buena vista
DIS Veteran

Ahh!.. I’m beginning to see it more clearly now.

Well, Disney is a business and it does take in a lot of money. There’s no getting around that. However, like NASCAR, it’s a form of entertainment. As you well know though, the experience is one that you can tailor to suit whatever you like best and whatever your budget happens to be. There are lots of ways to save money and avoid the additional costs of that experience so that you get a lot of value for your vacation dollars. NASCAR is in the retail business too (although you may not win that argument). The point is that if he can go and enjoy the NASCAR experience without having to buy all the NASCAR “stuff”, then he should be able to go to WDW and enjoy the show / relaxation / education / playtime / romance without having to buy it at Downtown Disney or in the after-attraction gift shops. WDW will make plenty of $ with or without his patronage. I think if you stay at a moderate or value resort and get magic your way passes for the duration (without the park hopper option if you want to save money), then there’s plenty of value in that package to give him the satisfaction of knowing he may possibly be getting more than he’s actually paying for - especially when you consider the transportation, lodging, amenities, rides, attractions, entertainment…

It also might help to give him some biographical information about Walt himself (a Republican btw) which might lend some insight into the roots of WDW. It’s changed (evolved) much since the early 70’s, but retains a lot of what Walt and Roy set out to create.

I don’t think he can appreciate WDW the way you do Cindy, but that’s ok. There’s plenty for him to enjoy.
Disneyland 1983, 1994, 2005; CBR 1992; POFQ 1993; OKW 1994-2003 multiple times; CSR 1998; BWV 1999; SSR May 2006; OKW April 2007 & 2008; POFQ - September 2008; off-site December 2008. OKW March 2009; POP May 2009, off-site July 2009, off-site December 2009, January 2010, BWV May 2010, off-site September 2010, December 2010, February 2011 OKW, December 2011 SSR
buena vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
10_Kyle_10
DIS Veteran

There is a NASCAR cafe at universal city walk you could take him to for dinner. After you guys could enjoy the other bars/lounges city walk has to offer.

Fort Wilderness: 1991, 1992, 1995 x 2, 2005 / Wilderness Lodge: 2000 / Caribbean Beach: 2002 / Coronado Springs: 2010 / All Star Sports: 1997 / All Star Music: 2007, 2009, 2011 / Pop Century: 2008, 2012, 2013 / Grosvenor: 2006 / Off Site: 1990

Last edited by 10_Kyle_10; 03-25-2010 at 10:16 AM.
10_Kyle_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #27
CinRell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Kyle_10 View Post
There is a NASCAR cafe at universal city walk you could take him to for dinner. After you guys could enjoy the other bars/lounges city walk has to offer.
Thanks everyone...

Kyle thanks! I didn't know about that as I've never been to Universal. Next time I go down I plan to, however.. I really want to see the new Harry Potter world
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #28
AllisonG
Good thing the TF is multi-lingual!

[IMG][/IMG]
97,98,99x2,00x7,01x4,02x3,03x4,
04x4,07x2,08x2,09x4,10x1
AllisonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #29
Stephanator
Mouseketeer

If you do decide to go during Food & Wine Festival, they have several bands that play in the Eat To The Beat series. Last year we saw Boyz II Men. It was like being 13 all over again.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #30
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

I get this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRell View Post
...he sees Disney at this point as a corporation who does everything to exploit money from people.
My wife was the real Disney fanatic, and our first trip (which was before the kids) was for her. Did I love it? Yes, but not just for the "Disney fuzzy factor".

At the end of the trip, I did a cost analysis of the Disney trip vs. renting a house at the Jersey shore (our previous summer vacas). Now, keeping in mind that we live only 2 hours from the Shore; our Disney trip actually cost us less.

When it comes down to it, whatever form of recreation you choose, it will cost you money. A well-planned Disney trip is a great value, even if you stay at the resort most of the time. But, c'mon...where else can you decide to have a great German meal AND a frosted Norwegian pretzel for dessert and finally finish it off in a great bar (Irish, English, The Ditch, Tambu Lounge...wherever!) without having to worry about who's driving? And all for cheaper than it would cost me, than having less and having to do more (cooking and cleaning) in a rented house.

and oh yeah...free fireworks...

For us, it's a no-brainer.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: