Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #151
Cdn Gal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have a DS but no kids?
DS for me is Disney Sister
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #152
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
hi welcome let me just say that this topic may get you some answers you dont want to hear many people post their opinions and they can be very STRONG
as for me i would not use a lease .
Especially when there are so many kids for sale these days...

sorry - I just couldn't resist it...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #153
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

We are headed back to the World later this year, and it will be our DD's first trip. She will be three then, and we'll be taking a backpack style harness. Here's why:

We adopted our daughter about 5 months ago. Up until the adoption, her life experience was mostly confined to a hospital and an orphanage. She still does still not understand the safety issues of crowds and wandering off. To risk her getting lost is too great a risk for us to take. She'll likely hold our hands or sit in her stroller a lot of the time, but for when she wants to be out and able to run, she'll probably wear her harness... especially if just one of us has to watch her in a large crowd.

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #154
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Don't like them. I am a firm believer in just scare the crap out of the kids as to what may happen if they wander off and end up living with another family. Though our reasoning is a little faulty while at WDW as DH always says "Do you think another family will take you to Disney 4 times a year?"

What's the deal with the light up shoes? DD has a pair now that I bought not knowing they lit up until older DD pointed them out.

Also what is up with the squeeky shoes for the infants learning to walk? That would drive me INSANE!!
Oh boy, I sure hope you are joking about the scaring kids by telling them they will have to live with another family. I would NEVER say that to my youngest 4 kids because we are their second family. Well, third if you count their foster families. We adopted them 10 years ago after they were neglected and abused by their birth parents then spent almost 2 years in separate foster homes before being reunited in our family. Once when my dd was in kindergarten, the very sweet para teased her by saying she wanted to take my dd home with her. My dd just about had a panic attack! Fortunately I teach at the same school so she was brought to me and I was able to find out what she was so upset about. The poor lady was so upset that she had scared my dd. I wasn't upset but wanted her to personally tell my dd that she was only teasing, which she did.

That said, I'm betting that strategy wouldn't work very well for the average 2 - 3 year old runner anyway. They don't exactly have the best reasoning skills or memory for such things even if they do think you are serious.

I don't get the squeaky shoes thing either. Well, maybe if they are only worn by a baby not yet walking they would be okay.

We were probably one of the families seen by the op with a child in a harness. My 3 yo dgs is a very active, independent boy who really wants to walk. Mostly he will hold hands when moving from place to place but there are times when he could just stand with us without holding hands and the monkey tail on his monkey backpack was just an added measure of security. Besides, the straps on the harness are perfect for his trading pins.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #155
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I especially don't get the squeeky shoes because our pedi told us they should remain barefoot (or in socks) as much as possible until they learn to walk on all different surfaces and can easily manage changing surfaces (i.e. grass to driveway or carpet to tile) so I can't imagine having some kind of object in the shoe would be good for them.

Anyway yes joking about scaring the crap outta the girls.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #156
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Personally, I think some "parents" should be on leashes.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #157
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I especially don't get the squeeky shoes because our pedi told us they should remain barefoot (or in socks) as much as possible until they learn to walk on all different surfaces and can easily manage changing surfaces (i.e. grass to driveway or carpet to tile) so I can't imagine having some kind of object in the shoe would be good for them.

Anyway yes joking about scaring the crap outta the girls.

I only got to watch my 2 oldest learn to walk because they are my bio children. When my oldest (who is now 30 years old) was learning, the high top leather walking shoes were still considered best. When my now 28 year old began to walk, the pediatricians were recommending letting babies learn to walk barefooted like you describe.

I have a friend who had those squeaky shoes for her baby but she promised me that he would stop wearing them as soon as he took his first steps. He did and she kept her word. Thank goodness!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #158
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I suppose this is only practical if your kids are learning to walk outside where it is safe and the weather is okay. I was lucky enough that my DD's were both born in Summer and didn't really wear shoes until the winter time after they turned 1. I can see how it isn't always practical.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #159
Buckeye Princess
DIS Veteran

My DD 13 months is incredibly independent and strong willed. She actually seems to prefer her backpack tether. It gives her some freedom but still some security knowing she wont" be far from me
Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #160
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

OT:

I think I read somewhere that the squeaky shoes were originally developed to encourage children with developmental delays to walk.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #161
Shelton123
Ahh girly drama *runs away*
yeah yeah yeah I know I'm so damn original blah blah blah
A zipline? What do you mean a zipline? That's preposterous; I thought everyone knew that she flies!

If that's what you need to do to control your child, then I'd rather see a child on a leash than running all over the place, getting lost, etc.

BUT I don't think it's necessary for every child. But WDW is so big, and there are so many people, so I don't judge when I see a kid on a leash there. However, if I see a kid on a leash somewhere else, like at a store, where things aren't breakable and it isn't crowded, I just don't see the point.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #162
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

No need for leashes, just get some of those shock collars that work on proximity. Actually, you could even take the batteries out and I bet they will stay close by

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #163
jusero
DIS Veteran

I have two grands: four and two. Now the four-year-old never needed to be tethered since he stayed close all the time and was more timid. The two-year-old however is absolutely fearless. If we didn't keep her on a tether in crowded situations, she would be lost all the time. She loves to just take off at any time in any direction. We don't tether her all the time, just in very crowded situations where it would be easy to lose sight of her. I think tethers are a great tool and necessary sometimes with some kids, but not all the time or with all kids.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #164
nortonthetraveler
Earning My Ears

My opinion is that it depends on the age of the kids. Anything over 7 is way too old.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #165
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

I have an "ooh, shiny!" DS who will be 18 months old as of our trip. We're bringing a Pooh backpack with tether for all the general reasons mentioned---safety, he's a runner, etc.

The other issue is the body mechanics of holding hands all day. For me, walking bent to the side about 10 degrees to hold the hand of someone under 3 feet tall gets tiring after about 30 minutes. My poor DH is in pain and doing yoga stretches to fix his back in about 10 minutes of toddler hand holding. Sure, we could manage, but why be in pain if there is a tool to prevent that?

We'll use the stroller, go without the tether a lot of the time, hold the kid, but being able to set him down while I root around in the backpack for goldfish crackers will be infinitely easier and safer if I have that strip of fabric running from me to him.

I'm not sure I understand the "why" part of the opposition to harnesses/leashes/tethers. What (aside from claims of inattentive parenting) is wrong with them? Is it just a visceral reaction to the idea of it?

--A
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: