Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #616
AnimalPrincess
Mouseketeer

Hi there, just started reading your TR, really enjoying it so far! We just booked our trip to AKV for Oct and your TR is really making me excited. Not sure if anyone told you this already but those 'rocks' you saw in the gift shop are actually Ostrich eggs from the animals at the lodge and park, they have professionals paint them. Even more amazing huh!

AK CM '05-'07.
Thank god for DVC so I can get my WDW fix, unfortunatly not often enough!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #617
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
You have the best updates! Always so many pictures and so detailed! I love the FOTLK show! I saw it a couple years ago, I was in the warthog section. The Nemo show is great too!

Love the PP pictures of you guys in front of Everest. They came out great!
Aw, thanks Jenny! They're so much fun to write! I'm going to go insane when this is finally over... We might HAVE TO go to Disney then! Haha--I always laugh at the warthogs. Thanks! We really liked those too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Part of me is terrified of the Tree of Life. Besides the fact that there is a buffalo carved in it (in my opinion, one of the scariest animals that God has ever created!), I'm afraid that I'll be looking at a cute animal and not even realize that there's a creepy one right next to it staring back at me! I have a thing with animals if you couldn't tell from my reaction from a tree!

Your hand does look unnaturally long in that Tink pic! It's a little spatula-like! I'm sure they altered it when they were adding Tink.

Good shot of the safari vehicle from the front! It's a new angle, and I like that the luggage and gear is noticeable!

Hehe, I like this comment you made: One of the moms danced her heart out—I think it must have been pent-up dance moves from the last 15 years. It really captures the magic!

Your comment about Pocahontas is so true! I was talking about a few of the classic Disney movies in school (I always give Disney-esque sentences when teaching new vocabulary words), and half of my 6th graders were like, "I've never seen that movie before." What kind of education are these kids getting these days?!? I think I should teach a Disney class at least once a week~

Aww, I missed voting in the contest! I've been away from DIS for a while because life has gotten a little hectic with 2 new students. Is there a link for the video so I can watch it now?
You could never make it in Oklahoma! Our state animal is the buffalo I love looking at all of the animals--scary or not. But I can definitely see where you're coming from! That's it--a spatula! I knew it looked like something weird! Thank you. I wanted to take a pic of the car we were about to get in... We were cracking up at that mom! It was awesome. I'm just impressed that she'd get out and shake it like that. Only at Disney!

Are you serious?! I can't believe that 6th graders haven't seen Pocahontas! My sister is in 7th, and it was her favorite movie. Our entire family was SOOO sick of that movie because she wanted to watch it every single day. I know--they aren't being taught anything about the good ol' movies! Michael and I watched The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Cool Runnings, and The Three Cabelleros this past week and a half. I don't know what I'd do without the old movies! I would love to teach a Disney class too! I bet your students love you since you love Disney!

That's ok! He had a lot of fun with it, though. Um, it's on YouTube....I can't find the link now since I'm at work and it's blocked, but you might be able to find it if you search for "KLOVE contest + Jars of Clay + Michael + Love Song for a Savior" or some combination of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I know you will keep me updated!! I just love trips!! I would personally rather go to a beach in FL than come to CO!! But who knows, maybe you could see me there too! (More on that in my next letter! ) I always hate looking at strangers in picture frames! I'm glad you've got that all taken care of.

Lauren has been kind enough to take care of all the renting for the Dec. trip but I really want to rent points for the Boardwalk for my 21st!! So we will need to talk about all the tips and tricks for that! (P.S. You are definitely invited to that if you could somehow squeeze in a trip. You DO have a birthday right around that time as well!)

This is why you guys need to live closer! I would've let him borrow Landon!

I LOVED that caption too! Hilarious!

Oh my goodness Staci...I am totally afraid of ovens too. How crazy!! I don't really have as good of a reason as you to be, just always have been. That's the main reason why I hate cooking...I just don't like being in such close contact with something that I can feel the heat so strongly from and could very severely burn me!! It freaks me out!

FOtLK is AMAZING!! I can see how Michael would be let down though if he were expecting the actual story-especially since its one of his favorites!! Still such an awesome show! I really loved it! I would be so confused with what sound a giraffe makes too! I was in the lion section!

Oh my goodness...I totally FAILED at PhotoPass at AK. Your pictures turned out so good-as usual! You and Michael look so cute with baby Simba! I love it. The one where you were mad at him for flirting with Tink was great! That's definitely one of the more creative ones!! I love it!

Can't wait for more!!
I think we're pretty sure that we're going to go to FL. I was looking into going to Disney's Vero Beach resort, but it's on the Atlantic side, and we might want to go to the Gulf side since those beaches are so much prettier. We'll see. I think we want to see if Michael's parents and my parents want to go too. Hey--maybe you and Landon could come down and join us! I'll keep you posted when we get closer to making a decision! You will LOVE renting points! And a 21st bday sounds great! I guess that would be my 24th? or 25th? Who knows where we'll even be by that time.... But I'll for sure keep it in mind! Michael and I have been talking about how much we miss Disney World and we'd like to go back sooner than we were planning on at first.

Haha--he definitely would have! My brother said that next time, he should borrow 3 babies, make the house look all dingy, and say something about how he doesn't have much, but he is so thankful that God has given him these precious kids, and this song is a tribute to them.

I'm glad I'm not the only wimp about ovens! Sometimes Michael has to get it out for me. I'm usually ok with my oven, but if I'm at someone else's house, I freak out. I do NOT want to get burned again!

He liked it, but he was just confused. It's definitely not his favorite of the shows. But maybe he'll like it more next time since he'll know what to expect. I'm SOO glad we got all of those PP pics in AK! I'm sorry you didn't get many! All of the magic shots were a ton of fun. We were so excited to see how they all turned out! Only a few of them didn't end up having the magic. The others were great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalPrincess View Post
Hi there, just started reading your TR, really enjoying it so far! We just booked our trip to AKV for Oct and your TR is really making me excited. Not sure if anyone told you this already but those 'rocks' you saw in the gift shop are actually Ostrich eggs from the animals at the lodge and park, they have professionals paint them. Even more amazing huh!
Hi! Thanks so much for reading!! Yay--that's so exciting! Have you ever been to AKV before? Or been in Oct? You will love both! I went in Oct in 06, and it was even cooler weather and less crowds than Sept. I hope you have a fantastic trip! Yes, someone actually told me that right after I posted it. I couldn't believe it!! How incredible. I can't believe people are that talented.

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #618
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Awe! I'm sad for ya'll that Michael didn't win the contest. Hope his prize is good though. I don't think you've posted what that is yet, right? I don't always read thru every post...mainly just the trip updates. Sorry if you've already updated on that!

I'm crossing my fingers that you liked Boma! We're going there for both breakfast and dinner on our trip this May and I'm just a little nervous about dinner. I'm a pretty adventurous eater but DH is not quite as much. He will eat almost anything but I'm afraid he may not actually *enjoy* it like I think I will.

Hope you're feeling better!

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
Old 03-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #619
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
I think we're pretty sure that we're going to go to FL. I was looking into going to Disney's Vero Beach resort, but it's on the Atlantic side, and we might want to go to the Gulf side since those beaches are so much prettier. We'll see. I think we want to see if Michael's parents and my parents want to go too. Hey--maybe you and Landon could come down and join us! I'll keep you posted when we get closer to making a decision! You will LOVE renting points! And a 21st bday sounds great! I guess that would be my 24th? or 25th? Who knows where we'll even be by that time.... But I'll for sure keep it in mind! Michael and I have been talking about how much we miss Disney World and we'd like to go back sooner than we were planning on at first.

Haha--he definitely would have! My brother said that next time, he should borrow 3 babies, make the house look all dingy, and say something about how he doesn't have much, but he is so thankful that God has given him these precious kids, and this song is a tribute to them.

I'm glad I'm not the only wimp about ovens! Sometimes Michael has to get it out for me. I'm usually ok with my oven, but if I'm at someone else's house, I freak out. I do NOT want to get burned again!

He liked it, but he was just confused. It's definitely not his favorite of the shows. But maybe he'll like it more next time since he'll know what to expect. I'm SOO glad we got all of those PP pics in AK! I'm sorry you didn't get many! All of the magic shots were a ton of fun. We were so excited to see how they all turned out! Only a few of them didn't end up having the magic. The others were great!
Oh definitely keep me updated!! I'm a little sad thinking about how Landon will have been to Florida 4 times before he is even 3 years old and still never have been on a beach! I would love to take him!!

I will also keep you guys posted on April 2011 trip stuff. I probably won't look too in depth until around 7 months-ish out, since I want to rent points. So there's still plenty of time! I'm glad you and Michael are thinking about going back sooner than you guys had planned!!

Oh my gosh, your brother is HILARIOUS!! That's so funny. Pullin' the sympathy card!!

Yeah I HATE getting stuff in and out of ovens!! I seriously think my parents are CRAZY for putting stuff in the oven without mitts. It freaks me out to do that. I don't care if the pan I am holding isn't hot yet, everything else is!! I'll probably have to have my husband take stuff out of the oven for me a lot too! I can do it when I have to, but just would rather not!!

I think its kind of hilarious to see the special PP pics without the magic touch. I have one like that where my mom and I were supposed to be holding balloons and we just look like big goobers posing for no reason.
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #620
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Are you serious?! I can't believe that 6th graders haven't seen Pocahontas! My sister is in 7th, and it was her favorite movie. Our entire family was SOOO sick of that movie because she wanted to watch it every single day. I know--they aren't being taught anything about the good ol' movies! Michael and I watched The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Cool Runnings, and The Three Cabelleros this past week and a half. I don't know what I'd do without the old movies! I would love to teach a Disney class too! I bet your students love you since you love Disney!

That's ok! He had a lot of fun with it, though. Um, it's on YouTube....I can't find the link now since I'm at work and it's blocked, but you might be able to find it if you search for "KLOVE contest + Jars of Clay + Michael + Love Song for a Savior" or some combination of that.
Today during class, we were reading an excerpt from The Wind in the Willows. I just HAD to mention Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but only 2 of them remember it/have heard of it. Of course, I then had to tell them about how the Pooh ride pays homage to Mr. Toad! (And yes, my lovely 6th grade boys started cracking up when I said "Pooh"!)

I found the video! Haha, I copied and pasted exactly what you said. He sings so well! I especially love the chorus. That's probably one of the first few Christian songs that I remembered listening to that was more of a modern group (as opposed to Steve Green and Michael W. Smith). This was probably back in 1998 or something because they had that song on one of the WOW CDs.

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #621
Stacey16
Earning My Ears

I've been reading your TR for a few days now, and I finally caught up! I love it!! I just ordered the same VB Hipster in Puccini that you have!

We're going May 3 - 12th only 41 days left!

I was wondering if you could give me more information about renting DVC points. Right now we have ressies at Carribbean Beach, but I'd love to see if we could stay at a DVC instead. I'm just not sure if it's too late.

Thanks!

Aug 1985 Off Property~Sep 1994 Dixie Landings~Jan 1995-May 1995 Vista Way (WDW College Program)~Sep 1997 Dixie Landings~Apr 2000 ASMo~Aug 2008 POFQ~May 2009 POFQ~May 2010 CBR~May 2011 Off Property~July 2012 WLV~Oct 2012 SSR

Me DH DD9 DD7

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #622
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Ok, I'm back with your trip report now. Great update! I loved Lion King and I'm going to see the musical in July with my mom and sister. We didn't get to see Nemo though, DH was getting tired and whiny by that point and didn't want to see any more shows There's always next time though, whenever that may be! You two always take the nicest pictures. Can't wait to hear your next update.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #623
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbprincess View Post
Awe! I'm sad for ya'll that Michael didn't win the contest. Hope his prize is good though. I don't think you've posted what that is yet, right? I don't always read thru every post...mainly just the trip updates. Sorry if you've already updated on that!

I'm crossing my fingers that you liked Boma! We're going there for both breakfast and dinner on our trip this May and I'm just a little nervous about dinner. I'm a pretty adventurous eater but DH is not quite as much. He will eat almost anything but I'm afraid he may not actually *enjoy* it like I think I will.

Hope you're feeling better!
Yeah, we were a little bummed, but still excited he made it that far! I hope so too--no, he hasn't received it yet. I'll let you all know what it is! I'm going to try to do the Boma update today or tomorrow. It really just depends on your family and your likes. It's my cousin's family's absolute favorite. We had breakfast there the next morning. I'll be sure to give thorough reports about both! Thanks--I'm feeling lots better, but now I have an ear infection...Will it ever end?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Oh definitely keep me updated!! I'm a little sad thinking about how Landon will have been to Florida 4 times before he is even 3 years old and still never have been on a beach! I would love to take him!!

I will also keep you guys posted on April 2011 trip stuff. I probably won't look too in depth until around 7 months-ish out, since I want to rent points. So there's still plenty of time! I'm glad you and Michael are thinking about going back sooner than you guys had planned!!

Oh my gosh, your brother is HILARIOUS!! That's so funny. Pullin' the sympathy card!!

Yeah I HATE getting stuff in and out of ovens!! I seriously think my parents are CRAZY for putting stuff in the oven without mitts. It freaks me out to do that. I don't care if the pan I am holding isn't hot yet, everything else is!! I'll probably have to have my husband take stuff out of the oven for me a lot too! I can do it when I have to, but just would rather not!!

I think its kind of hilarious to see the special PP pics without the magic touch. I have one like that where my mom and I were supposed to be holding balloons and we just look like big goobers posing for no reason.
I for sure will! We're pretty sure we want to go to the beach--especially since it's a great vacation no matter what happens between now and then. I'll try to remember to write more when I email you back... Landon would absolutely LOVE the beach!! Please do! I doubt we'd be able to go back that soon, but maybe sooner than 5-10 years like we were thinking! Oh, gosh. You're telling me. My brother cracks us up all the time! Sometimes he'll call and leave a message where he's just singing on the other line. And you never know what accent he's going to be talking in when you call him and leave a message. He's such a goof. There have been times that I almost start crying when I have to get something out of the oven at my Meme's house. Michael has to come save me. Aren't those so funny?! The balloon ones look ridiculous! But I put some goofy borders on them, and then at least it looked like we were trying to be silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Today during class, we were reading an excerpt from The Wind in the Willows. I just HAD to mention Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but only 2 of them remember it/have heard of it. Of course, I then had to tell them about how the Pooh ride pays homage to Mr. Toad! (And yes, my lovely 6th grade boys started cracking up when I said "Pooh"!)

I found the video! Haha, I copied and pasted exactly what you said. He sings so well! I especially love the chorus. That's probably one of the first few Christian songs that I remembered listening to that was more of a modern group (as opposed to Steve Green and Michael W. Smith). This was probably back in 1998 or something because they had that song on one of the WOW CDs.
Oh my. Kids these days... There should be a Disney elective class! It'd be perfect for you! Haha--junior high boys crack me up. There's a boy at church that still cracks up every time someone says a sentence like "We do do that." And he's a junior in HS. But when he laughs, everyone starts laughing...I can just imagine what 6th graders are like!

Yay! I'm glad you found it! It's funny that all of my random words together worked. Aw, thanks. I'll tell him you said that. I remember loving that song before I even knew who sang it because my cousin left a burned mixed CD at my house with it on it... Oh, WOW CDs--that brings back memories! I remember thinking those songs were super cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey16 View Post
I've been reading your TR for a few days now, and I finally caught up! I love it!! I just ordered the same VB Hipster in Puccini that you have!

We're going May 3 - 12th only 41 days left!

I was wondering if you could give me more information about renting DVC points. Right now we have ressies at Carribbean Beach, but I'd love to see if we could stay at a DVC instead. I'm just not sure if it's too late.

Thanks!
Hi! Thanks so much for reading!! I'm so glad you're liking it. It's been so much fun to write. You will absolutely love that Hipster! It's perfect for Disney! SO EXCITING!!! I'm glad that you get to go so soon! I would love to give you more DVC info. I actually just PMed someone else about it last week, so I'll copy and paste the info. In my opinion, it's the best kept secret of Disney World. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll save money AND stay in a Deluxe instead of a Mod. And it's not too late--you might not get your first choice of a resort, but my cousin just rented a few weeks ago for a trip in April, and she was able to get exactly what she wanted. I hope it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
Ok, I'm back with your trip report now. Great update! I loved Lion King and I'm going to see the musical in July with my mom and sister. We didn't get to see Nemo though, DH was getting tired and whiny by that point and didn't want to see any more shows There's always next time though, whenever that may be! You two always take the nicest pictures. Can't wait to hear your next update.
Welcome back! Thanks so much! Oh my goodness, I would LOVE to see the Lion King musical! I hear it is absolutely fantastic. You really need to see Nemo next time. It seems like our "next time" list keeps growing and growing and growing...and we have no clue when that will be either. Aw, thanks so much! I'm going to try to update again today or tomorrow!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #624
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Aw AK. I love it!

Love the photopass pics. I always feel silly taking the posing pics where they add something in later.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #625
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I think I said it before, but you guys got WONDERFUL PP pictures! If we had as many as you guys, we definitely would have ordered the CD, too. I love the Tink + Simba pictures-- so cute! Your updates are terrific, too-- so detailed!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #626
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
Aw AK. I love it!

Love the photopass pics. I always feel silly taking the posing pics where they add something in later.
We love AK too! I can't wait to read about you and your Fiance's trip to AK...and all the other parks! Thanks--we did too! But we were being so silly at other times, that it really wasn't that big of a difference. I'm sure people thought we were nuts, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I think I said it before, but you guys got WONDERFUL PP pictures! If we had as many as you guys, we definitely would have ordered the CD, too. I love the Tink + Simba pictures-- so cute! Your updates are terrific, too-- so detailed!
Aw, thank you so much! We were really lucky to get so many that turned out well. Most of the lighting was a little off, but it wasn't anything Photoshop couldn't fix! It's so fun that they have the magic shots. I want to find tons more next time. Thanks! I'll have another one this afternoon.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #627
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Boma and DHS Night

When I last left you, we had just finished a wonderful morning/afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and we were back at our resort for a pool break. It was great to be able to take a dip in the pool, and then relax in the hot tub.

Relaxed and rejuvenated, we went back up to our room to get ready for our dinner at Boma! We were both super excited about this dinner, because we both enjoy different kinds of ethnic foods, and my cousin’s family raves about Boma.

Our ADR was for 5:45, but we wanted to get down a little early to try to get some more pictures with the more studio-like PP photographer in the lobby. I love that they had this opportunity.

After our mini photo shoot, we took some pictures of Boma from above the restaurant,

And then checked in. I took a picture of the restroom sign while we were waiting.

We asked some of the girls at the check-in desk if they could take our picture before we were seated.

Our seating host was absolutely hilarious. He was cracking jokes the whole time, and he said something about us liking Tauno. I asked him what that was, and he laughed and said “Me!” It was obvious that he was just so happy to be there. I love that so many of the CMs are like this.

Our waiter came and explained about the buffet, and told us where we could find different items. If you’ve never been there, the buffet is set up in different stations. To the far right, there are different meats, and I think that the rice was there as well. Then there are some in the middle, along the far wall, that have all kinds of foods from soups to sides to other meats. Then a little more to the left, they have lots of fruits, then a lot of different kinds of hummus and pita chips. I think that there is bread after that, and then there are two tables for desserts. (I might be wrong in some of the order…I’m trying to remember from memory.) But since it’s all set up in different little pods, you’re able to go up to just the section you want instead of waiting in a huge line just for something at the end of the buffet. I really liked this set-up.

We each decided to try a little bit of a lot of different things our first time through. Here’s my first plate and soups:

I didn’t write everything down, but I think that it was (from top): some little fried meat thing, casserole with cheese and eggs, pita chips and pita bread, rice, tomato hummus, pork, salad, couscous, chicken, and a cornbread muffin. The soup was some kind of vegetable stew, and our waiter’s favorite—seafood soup.

I honestly didn’t like most of what was on my plate. I’ll tell you my favorites in a little bit (I went back for seconds!), but there was some certain spice that I just didn’t care for. I’m thinking that it might have been ginger. I’m not a fan of ginger at all. If it wasn’t ginger, it was something similar. Almost everything had some of this spice in it. I completely finished my favorite things, and then I nibbled on the others. I didn’t care for either soup much at all.

It was strange to me that I didn’t care for the food, because I’m usually a pretty exotic eater. I really like a lot of different ethnic foods, including some that most people don’t like as much, like Greek and Indian.

Michael’s first plate looked like this (sorry, he’d taken a few bites already)

He also tried the vegetable stew, as well as rice, beef, cornbread, pork, and some kind of egg and meat casserole. He liked it better than I did, but he wasn’t really thrilled either. His favorites were the New York Strip Steak, pork, rice, and the egg & meat casserole.

When I went back for seconds, I only got my favorites: couscous, rice, cornbread muffins, and tomato hummus with pita strips and chips.

Michael went to the dessert/fruit tables before I did, and came back with some really yummy looking treats:

Since I was still pretty hungry, I filled a plate with fruits

And then also got a dessert plate

If I remember correctly, these were (from top): zebra dome, bread pudding, apple crisp type thing, lemon bar, chocolate mousse, and a pineapple cheesecake. I wasn’t a fan of the Zebra dome or the chocolate mousse because they were soooo rich, but the others were pretty good.

The best thing, by far, at Boma, however was the pineapple upside down cheesecake. OH MY. It was FANTASTIC. We both really, really loved this. I wish that they sold it at the Mara!

I took one last picture of the light fixtures above our table since they were so pretty,

And then we paid/tipped and headed to the bus stop to catch a ride to Disney’s Hollywood Studios!

We waited about 10 minutes for a bus, and then when it came, we went to Blizzard Beach before we went to DHS. Our initial plan was to go visit the Boardwalk before we went to DHS, but we realized that we wouldn’t have time for that if we wanted to get in line for Fantasmic early (it started at 9:30). So we finally pulled into DHS around 7:30.

Our first order of business? Photopass Pics, of course!

We took a picture of “The Hat” and the Mickey on the sidewalk before we headed to our first attraction.

Continued

Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #628
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Boma and DHS Night (cont)

Continued from previous

We went to what we joked was our new favorite attraction: One Man’s Dream! This was now the third time we’d been to OMD, and we had yet to finish it. We’re both just so fascinated with these kinds of things.

We picked up where we left off, and continued through the rest of the exhibit.

We found someone to trade off taking pictures for, so we were able to pose next to the Castle

This guy was so fascinating!

I want to see this castle someday!

YAY! It’s all of our favorites!! I don’t know what my childhood would have been without these movies. I loved them so, so much.

Apparently, my first trip was right after MGM opened. I don’t remember it at all (I was only 2), but it was neat seeing things from back then!

We just love this quote. Walt was such an incredible man. Our tour guide during the KTTK tour shared this quote with us, and Michael had never heard it before. So when he saw this sign, he said, “Hey—this is that quote that Brick told us about!”

We waited around until the next film started, and thoroughly enjoyed the entire film. I’m pretty sure I cried a little bit. Walt just has such an incredible story. I was actually telling Michael that Walt Disney is one of my heroes the other day after we watched some of the behind the scenes stuff in the bonus features on Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros. He dreamed like few people do. And his legacy has lived far beyond his life—I’m sure he would be thrilled to see what the name Disney means to so many people today.

Oh, and another side note, I love being married to someone who researches things and has such a hunger for knowledge—all kinds. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve asked him what he’s doing, and he’s back at the computer, looking up something about a Disney movie, or different rides, or Walt’s life, or something else like that. He loves getting online and learning about a movie after we watch it, and about all of the little things that go into the rides, parks, etc. It’s so fun. Even though he does this with all kinds of things, I love it that he looks into Disney stuff even more now that we’ve been to Disney World.

Sorry for those asides…I just get so sentimental when I think about Walt’s life…

Anyway, after we finally finished seeing all that we wanted to in One Man’s Dream, we decided it was time to get in line for Fantasmic. It was around 8:10 by this time. I loved that the park was all dark, and everything was lit up!

I’d heard that you need to be in line no less than an hour to an hour and a half before Fantasmic. Well, we got there, and there was a CM telling all of us that there was absolutely no reason to stand here and wait. Since it was the off-season, and especially since it was the second show of the night, we really didn’t need to be in line until 9:00 or 9:15. Great!

So we decided to do something on our “if we have time list”: The Great Movie Ride. Michael had never been on the GMR, and I had said that I didn’t want to do it again after I rode on it with my family in 2006, but we decided that since we had some time to spare, it couldn’t hurt.

Continued

Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #629
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous

There was a 10 minute wait, but it seemed like it took longer than that. Before too long, we were on our way through the tunnel into the movies.

I took lots of pictures, but not very many of them turned out at all…so I’ll just post a few.

I LOVE “Singing in the Rain”! My roommate, our Resident Director, and I watched this super late in our dorm’s lobby one night when I was a Soph in college, and we were dancing around and being so silly. I’ve loved that movie every since!

This is the cutest part of the ride.

I know that a lot of you absolutely love this ride, but the only thing we could think of when we got off was, “Well, that was 45 minutes of my life that I will never get back.” I guarantee that was the very last time either of us will ever be on the Great Movie Ride!

In fact, it’s become just a big joke for us. This past Thanksgiving, our church didn’t cancel services on the Wednesday before. Now, we go to a super small church (less than 100 on a Sunday morning) in the outskirts of an already pretty small town (around 15,000 total). We should have canceled services. Since Michael is a full-time employee at the church, we had to be there. Our pastor took it as one of his nights off, and my grandpa was asked to give a short little message and Michael was asked to lead some music. My cousin and I were placing bets to see how many people we thought would show up. Well, including Michael, my grandpa, and myself (who had to be there), and my mom and aunt who live out of town and came just because we were there, there were 12 people total. Our children’s minister didn’t even show up. Needless to say, it was a big waste of time. Well, when we left, Michael and I looked at each other, and I said, “One more hour of my life I’ll never get back. Next to the Great Movie Ride, this was the biggest waste of time ever. In fact, it might have been worse than the Great Movie Ride.” (But, to each his own! I mean, most of you hate Stitch’s Great Escape, and we loved it…maybe we’re just nuts!)

Sorry about that…I think I’m just in an “aside” mood today. It’s pretty outside, and it’s put me in a chatty/happy mood. I’ll try to keep my stories to myself from now on!

ANYWAY, after our lovely tour through the Great Movie Ride, we went back to get in line for Fantasmic. By this time, it was around 9:00.

At 9:15, they let us in. Does anyone else feel like cattle on your way to the arena? WE DID! I hated the feeling of everyone shoving and squishing trying to get to the same place at once. Big crowds usually don’t bother me, but it did this time. I can’t imagine having a little kid in that horrible “shove for your lives” area.

We finally made it to the seating area, and we sat in the Scar section, right by the Sebastian section. We were 4 rows from the top, near the aisle. We knew that if it was this crazy getting in, it would be even worse getting out!

When Fantasmic started, we were both really impressed! The colorful water, and the movies projected onto the screen was really neat. Once again, Michael was in awe of how perfectly the lights/images/sound fit together.

But after a little while, we felt like it just went on a little too long. The whole happy one second/creepy the next was a little weird too. I know that it’s supposed to be his dream turned nightmare, but I’m wondering what people who don’t know the basis of the story think.

The fire on the water was really awesome, though! We both loved this.

And I was really happy once things got cheerier again, and the characters came out. This was, by far, the best part of Fantasmic, in my opinion.

It was pretty frustrating that people started getting up and leaving during this, though. Don’t they realize that they’re just blocking everyone else’s view?

When it was over, we got out pretty quickly—thanks to being close to the aisle/top. We left the park at 10:00. As we walked out, we decided that Fantasmic was good to see once, but it’s definitely not something we plan on seeing again. It is way to crazy trying to get in, and then the show was really neat in parts, but overall it just wasn’t our favorite. We also thought that it’d be pretty scary for little kids with all of the villains there, and then also with the super bright fireworks. We agreed that it’s probably our least favorite night-time thing at Disney World, but we’re glad we tried it.

Continued

Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #630
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous

Since we still wanted to check out the Boardwalk, we hurried down to the boat for the Epcot Resorts. At first, we thought we were going to miss it or it would be too full, but we ended up being able to squeeze on and stand at the front. We were fine with that! We were just thankful that we fit.

Before long, we pulled into the Swan/Dolphin dock, and decided to get off there and walk to the Boardwalk.

When we entered the Boardwalk area, one of the bars/dance clubs was BLARING their music out into the street. I don’t know what we were expecting, but it wasn’t that. It just felt out of place. Does anyone know if it’s usually like this, or if it’s just late at night?

I really loved the look of all of the buildings and things, though!

We must have been to late to see all of the Boardwalk-ey stuff, because this was the only guy that was still set up.

The dock was GORGEOUS. I loved looking out and seeing the Beach and Yacht Clubs across the water.

We snapped a few more pictures, and walked around a little more.

When we got to the ESPN club, it was playing their audio outside as well. It just felt really un-Disney.

We decided that we were ready to go back to our resort, and that we weren’t super impressed with the Boardwalk. I’d still like to stay here at some time, but Michael didn’t have any desire to at all. I think we probably just came at a bad time. We did really like the looks of the Beach Club, though!

We walked around, trying to find our way to the bus station. We got there at 10:35, and it looked like no busses were coming. We tried to find someone to talk to about it, but no one was around. We finally learned that the ferry had already left, and that we’d need to go in and talk to the bellhop about what we needed to do.

We went inside and found the bellhop, who told us that the busses to the parks quit running 30 minutes after the parks closed. Remember when I said that we were at the bus station at 10:35? Well, the DHS bus quit making its rounds at 10:30. We barely missed it! He told us that we’d either have to catch a bus to DTD, and then get on one to AKL (which could be a 2 hour round trip!), or call a cab.

Great.

We didn’t want to do either!

By this point, we were completely worn out from our long day and from being at Disney World for almost a week. The last thing we wanted to do was be on a bus for another two hours. So even though we didn’t want to have to pay for a cab, we ended up going that route.

So we went back out to the front of the Boardwalk, and we tried to figure out how to get a cab. There were a lot of them lined up, but we didn’t know if we were supposed to just walk up to one, or what. We finally figured it out, and before long, we were on a Mears Shuttle Cab van.

We were actually really impressed with the cab driver and the trip! He was speedy, yet safe, and it just felt good to know it wasn’t going to take 2 hours to get back home. The fare ended up being a little over $11, so we gave him $14 (I have no clue what is standard/acceptable for a cab ride. Neither of us had ever taken a cab before, so we were just purely guessing).

We got home at 11:00, and were in by before 11:45. Our day hadn’t quite ended up how we planned, but besides the last few hours, it had been wonderful! I tried to forget the frustration of the transportation issue and think about this instead:

I was at Disney World with my best friend, and we’d had a fantastic week!

Up Next:

Breakfast and packing up
DIS meet
One last time at DHS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: