Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Location: Corpus Christi, Texas (aka retirment training for Disney)

A Reunion 14 years in the Making! PTR June 5-12 Updtd 6/3/10

Where to begin? At the beginning!

The Disney bug really bit me when we first visited Disney World in 1995. I was a sophmore in college and pregnant with my first child. My DD asked if my sister an I would like to go on vacation with my DSM and him to Disney World. Of course we said YES!!! The trip was in July and over the July 4th holiday. Ummmm yes picture it....1st timers, in July, and I was 3 month's pregnant. Not exactly a recipe for success in theory, but it was so much fun! It was REALLY hot, I mean cook some biscuits and eggs on the pavement hot, but I was young and it didn't matter much. We had a blast. We stayed at the Swan and ate at my still 2 favorite restraunts, Le Cellier and the now Teppan Edo. Yes the seeds were planted. The coolaid was drunk. (all be it a delayed dose of the coolaid).

My next trip was not until I had, had my youngest son and they boys were now 6 & 3. I was finally able to afford a vacation and saw a Disney add. I thought what a great idea. So we were all set for 5 days in the world...in May this time. May turned out to be a great time to go. This is when the bug really bit us all!

We have been back to Disney in May 4 more times. Then I started hearing about all the awesome decorations during the Christmas season. I knew I couldn't miss Christmas with my family, so I started at looking at dates that were doable with school schedules and all. I decided on Thanksgiving after my grandmother passed to help us be distracted while we were missing her. We have been twice during Thanksgiving.

Then unexpectedly after 12 years of being a single mother, I met the man for me. The boys showed him our Disney pictures and honestly he thought they were cool, but couldn't understand why we had been back so many times. We eloped 6 weeks after we met. My family insisted on a wedding everyone could attend. I was happy to agree and planned the wedding in 6 months. DH and I decided this time we HAD to take a honeymoon. We looked at cruises and destinations but I had to mention that we could go to Disney in style for less and for longer. That's all DH needed to hear. We planned a honeymoon for a week at first and then I started looking at extending it. In the end we spent a week and a half in Disney on our honeymoon.

If you are interested in the TR click the link below.

First part....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2100845

Our next trip was as a new family. There are 6 of us now. DH & I and our 4 boys. We went over Thanksgiving and had a blast.

To see this TR click the link below.

The second part...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2100845

When we came back we imediately wanted to go back, but the economy troubles hit my work and I was going to be laid off. I started searching for a new job and we were forced to put any Disney plans on hold indefinately.

I was able to find a great job fairly quickly, one catch though....we had to move. Again we had to put Disney plans on hold. Then in November 09 I got a coveted PIN code for 40% off. Seeds were planted again and I looked at the calendar and looked at our finances and was able to see that maybe by June we could go. We decided on June 5-12 and I called and made our reservations...WE WERE GOING BACK!!

Then I thought....hmmm we've been trying to get my dad to go with us for years. I would try again. So I sent him an e-mail with our plans and asked him if he'd like to go with us. A few days later we got a call and he, my step mom and my little sis were coming with us!

This means a grand gathering! Oh no, I've never planned a GG before. I called and made their reservations (June 7-12). Whoo hoo!

We discussed places they would like to eat over Thanksgiving and I was put in charge of ALL the planning.

Up next meet all our characters!

6th grd DL; 7/95 Swan; 5/03 ASMo; 5/04 POP; 5/05 POP; 5/06 POR; 5/07 POFQ; 11/07 BC T-day/MVMCP ;6/08 YC & CR DISNEYMOON ; 11/08 AS Sp. T-day/MVMCP 6/10 Ft. Wild Cab; 6/11 POP; 8/12 ASMo; 6/14 CBR Grad Trip
Mom Dad DS 18 DS 14 DS 12 DS 10

Last edited by joleen76; 06-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
joleen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Part 1 - Introductions - Post 4
Part 2 - Where will we stay - Post 8
Part 3 - Dining Reservations - Post 10

6th grd DL; 7/95 Swan; 5/03 ASMo; 5/04 POP; 5/05 POP; 5/06 POR; 5/07 POFQ; 11/07 BC T-day/MVMCP ;6/08 YC & CR DISNEYMOON ; 11/08 AS Sp. T-day/MVMCP 6/10 Ft. Wild Cab; 6/11 POP; 8/12 ASMo; 6/14 CBR Grad Trip

Last edited by joleen76; 03-21-2010 at 12:58 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

reserved for future postings

Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Meeting the cast

Who's first....

I guess me...Joleen - 33 (soon to be older) Disney finatic and planner by night and accountant by day. Loves family time and loves a vacation more than anything. My favorite character is Mickey, but I love them all.

DH - Kenneth (younger than me and doesn't let me forget it) now ever since our honeymoon he has been bitten by the Disney bug as hard as I have. Stay at home dad, and all around wonderful husband. (he has me spoiled rotten). He's a jokester and loves his music loud and full of bass. His favorite character is Goofy, and for good reason!

DS 14 - about to be in high school (I'm so not ready), LOVES sports, playing video games about sports, and did I mention he loves sports? Very good as teenagers go, but he has his moments. Has tried in the past to act like he is getting to old for Disney, but quickly changes his toon when we arrive at the world. He had a 4-wheeler accident in Nov. 08 and I thought I might loose him, but he's so strong and has bounced back fully. (more on that story in my previous TR) He is most like Grumpy...but he is a lover of the Mouse too.

DS 10 - 5th grader and a sweet kid. Loves spending time with his family and tends to be my sensitive one. Loves the army and police. Wants to be a cop when he grows up. Loves Disney and isn't afraid to say it. Character would be Stitch.

DS 8 - Also a sweet boy. Sensetive as well. Loves video games, especially car racing games (Daddy's boy for sure), and riding his bike. Lives in New Mexico with his mom, so we don't see him hardly enough. We took him on his first trip to Disney 11/08 and he had the time of his life. He is looking forward to this trip maybe more than I am which is hard to believe. His character would be....the Red Power Ranger.

DS 6 - He is a firecracker. Too funny and full of energy. Loves matchbox cars, riding his bike, and playing with his brothers. Also lives in New Mexico. Took him to Disney for the first time in 11/08 and he fell in love. He is counting the days until our trip. His character is ..... Lightning McQueen

DD (won't disclose his age) - my dad. Loves golf, snow skiing, and his family. Planted my Disney bug on my inagural trip. Is excited to be going on vacation will all of us and is a great grandpa.

DSM (again no ages) - my step mom. Loves tennis, snow skiing, shopping, and my DSis. She can't ride all the big rides anymore and is loving that my DH will ride everything so my little sister can ride too.

DSis 10 - Loves competition cheerleading, Twilight, and her friends. She is beyond excited for our trip. Very sweet girl who loves her nephews. It will be the first time we have been on vacation together and I have a special dinner planned for her.

More to come...(I will fill in more pictures later today)

Last edited by joleen76; 03-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
Sounds like a great trip!
Thanks! We can't wait!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
Bookstamper
Mouseketeer

Hi there! Great start to your PTR - very cool to be planning a Grand Gathering! Looking forward to hearing more

From England to Endor via WDW - 2010 TR
Bookstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

So we knew we were going and when, but where would we stay?

Since I have been blessed to visit so many times I have stayed at a lot of the Disney properties. (Swan, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and the Contemporary)

Having these experiences, I wanted to stay somewhere perfect for a multi-room group and yet stay within a budget.

I started by calling Disney and asked for a couple pricing options. I wanted to go as reasonable on costs as I could. So I got pricing on a value resort and a moderate resort. I was in charge of figuring out all the accomodations and since my family is a family of 6 I had to look at a couple different options. We knew for sure we did not want to share a room with my dad and company, we wanted to spare them the 24/7 with 4 boys. So that helped to narrow down the options a bit. I started looking at the value resorts and we could do a couple of things. We could get 2 rooms or a suite at this level. For giggles I also wanted to price the cabins that would fit all 6 of us in the same cabin and for a lot less than a suite.

So I held my breath when the computer was calculating my options. I thought yeah no way I could get a comporable price for the cabins as the value. It turns out that the price difference from the 2 rooms to the suite was about $100 for the week and price from the suite to the cabin was $90 for the week. So for $190 more for the week we got the cabin!

I knew this meant research. I could do that. I know that a cart if you don't have a car is a necessity, but we are driving so we will have a car. I know I need to request cabins as close to the transportation center as I can. We are booked for 7 nights at the cabins! Best thing about this trip is none of us has stayed here before so we will all be experiencing something for the first time.

If you have stayed at the cabins, please let me know ANY advice you can!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstamper View Post
Hi there! Great start to your PTR - very cool to be planning a Grand Gathering! Looking forward to hearing more
Hey, thanks for signing on! I am both excited and nervous about trying to plan a trip that all 9 people not only enjoy, but love.

Looks like you are going in June too! If you haven't stayed at POP before, you will love it. Just try to get close to the main building and transportation! If you haven't gone in June before, I recomend a sun screen with bug stuff in it. We noticed this by accident. I bought the avon skin so soft sun screen before our first trip to use. We kept overhearing people complaining about the bugs, and we were like "what bugs". Wasn't until later I figured out that the skin so soft had a natural bug repelant in it.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Dining reservations

For us Dining is a HUGE part of our trip. We are on the dining plan which we really love. When I called and made our room arangements, they told me our dining reservation date would be December 7th. So on December 7th I got up EARLY to be on the phone to get what we wanted.

We knew we wanted to eat at:

Coral Reef because the kids will think it's awesome to eat at a place that has a huge fish tank in it. Also, DH and I decided we needed to give it another shot since the "dinner that will live in emphany" (for those who have read my honeymoon TR)

Ohana - because none of us have eaten here and it's all you can eat...with a teenager these are especially awesome.

Cinderella's Castle - because we want my little sister to have a special meal for her.

Teppan Edo - we all love habachi.

Le Cellier - this place is just awesome.

Grand Gathering breakfast - this is appealing because we get to have breakfast with the characters with out having to go through the Chef Mickey congestion etc.

And we need a place in Disney Studio's so, I think Mama Melrose.

These were my rough list and I had a basic idea of what place what day when I called.

I knew the first two days are just us and our boys. My dad and company will arive Monday, but I still don't know what time their flight is. (yes still to this day but that's a side bar) So I didn't make any dining reservations on Monday.

So when I got up at the crack of dawn on December 7th I was suprised at what I was able to get. This was like dream dining come true!

Sat 6/5 - Coral Reef 5:20 pm
Sun 6/6 - Ohana's 5:30 pm
Mon 6/7 - Open
Tue 6/8 - Mama Melrose 5:25
Wen 6/9 - Tony's Breakfast 9 am & Cinderella for lunch at 12:30 pm (I wanted dinner but at the time they didn't have the characters for dinner)
Thur 6/10 - Teppan Edo 6 pm
Fri 6/11 - LeCellier 5:50 pm

I was pumped! When disney announced that Cinderella's Castle had added the princesses to dinner, I immediately called and changed our reservation to 5:35 pm. Can you believe these reservations? I guess bookings are down?

We decided this year to skip the water parks and save some money there and we didn't go on vacation last year, so I understand why they might be down.

So...here are some pictures of our experiences at some of the places we are going to eat. I am really just looking for a reason to stroll down Disney memory lane!

Cinderella on our honeymoon

I loved this desert!

DH looks a little too happy in this picture.

Le Cellier

We love desert!

Coral Reef

The couple next to the tank got engaged while we were there.

Mama Melrose

Teppan Edo

I can't wait to experience these places again! What do you think of our dining plans? Also, if you have any questions please ask, I love to share Disney experiences.

The next update will be our park schedule. The sights I look have changed 3 times, so I'm still a bit undecided!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
hlrababy
Disney Princess ~Tinkerbell, sprinkle me with your pixie dust~ That castle is mine!!

Hey girly!!!!!

I am here!! YAY!!! I can't wait to join in and hear all about your trip!!
hlrababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Signing up for another round! I'm excited for you guys to get to stay in the cabin! That sounds like it will be a blast! Dining options look great. My DIS time is constrained of late, but I'll stop by as often as I can.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
GreatBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrababy View Post
Hey girly!!!!!

I am here!! YAY!!! I can't wait to join in and hear all about your trip!!
YAY!! Welcome aboard!

Mini update coming soon.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Signing up for another round! I'm excited for you guys to get to stay in the cabin! That sounds like it will be a blast! Dining options look great. My DIS time is constrained of late, but I'll stop by as often as I can.
BISCUIT!!!! How are you?

We are so excited. We are getting to the count down days stage now. We are talking about it more and more.

I talked to my dad the other day and they are doing the same. My little sister is so excited she has people to ride EVERY ride with.

Glad you like the dining options....silly as it is, it's one of the things I stress about the most. I mean really we will be in Disney...I could eat cardboad and be happy.

I'll try to do weekly updates until the trip so just stop by when you have time. Hope things are going well with the Biscuit clan.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Mini Update.....

So, Spring break was two weeks ago for our two oldest boys. We took a "warm up trip" to our local Six Flags. (I will write an update with pictures this weekend.) Our two little guys are on Spring Break this week. DH has been looking forward to this for months! We get to see them this weekend, which we absolutely can't wait for! Yesterday my DH and DS14 were playing HORSE with the basketball and trying to one up each other. Typical boys of course. Well DH decides he needs to really go over the top and run across the street into the neighbors driveway and throw it back at the goal. Well the problem with this is DH is not 14 anymore, but in his mind he is. So...needless to say it didn't go according to his plan and instead when he turned sideways to throw the ball at the goal....his body turned but his ankle did not. Ummm yep...he heard a loud pop! So now he is barely walking and has an ankle the size of a grapefruit. Moral of the story is ..... don't act 15 years younger than your body is.

We are hoping he starts feeling better by Friday when we get the boys, and bigger picture he is good for our trip in 2 months!!!

I will post more this weekend and hopefully a good update on the ankle.

Whew Boys!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: