Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #1186
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
It is getting more and more difficult to follow the rules. I wonder what's going to happen if the parks go entirely smoke free?
Honestly? While I know I should quit smoking, and I really don't plan my vacations around cigarettes... I already skipped Walt Disney World in 2009 for financial reasons - and went to Las Vegas instead Yes, it really was cheaper! I suppose my visits would become even less frequent, while instead I might start spending more time at DisneyLAND - because the actual park property is relatively small, and even if they banned smoking in the plaza between the parks AND at Downtown Disney, as long as Anaheim didn't ban smoking in public, it's not far to the street/public sidewalk.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #1187
Tweevil
Twin Evils....

I saw issues while at AK as well. People didn't know where the DSA's were. A CM advised a patron at the Dinosaur that it was a Non smoking area. He asked (as he put it out) where is it and the CM had no clue. I helped the guy because they put up a lattice type wall up since October and the one in Dino land looked as though you shouldn't go back there at first. While we were in the DSA he said he thought they were getting harder to find and I agree they are. I keep to the DSA's myself but I did see many people smoking in unauthorized areas - more than before - both in the parks and at the resorts. Makes me wonder if it is because they are either harder to find or the placement is off.

I also wonder because while at the resort I spoke to people who had requested a room by a DSA and didn't get it (me being one) and then spoke with people by the pool who didn't smoke and wished they weren't near one..lol - I am not sure how that works though with scheduling.

Anyhoo.... I have my favorites in each park, I hope they stay there. lol
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1188
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweevil View Post
I keep to the DSA's myself but I did see many people smoking in unauthorized areas - more than before - both in the parks and at the resorts. Makes me wonder if it is because they are either harder to find or the placement is off.
Yeah, I think this is either because they sometimes move the DSA without amending it on the maps and people are going to the place where it should be - not realizing that it isn't! I take an ashtray as a sign that it is authorized and absence of one as a sign that I need to check or find another. I would imagine the odd innocent guest has gotten into trouble by lighting up where everyone else is smoking, when they may be in the wrong place.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #1189
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Honestly? While I know I should quit smoking, and I really don't plan my vacations around cigarettes... I already skipped Walt Disney World in 2009 for financial reasons - and went to Las Vegas instead Yes, it really was cheaper! I suppose my visits would become even less frequent, while instead I might start spending more time at DisneyLAND - because the actual park property is relatively small, and even if they banned smoking in the plaza between the parks AND at Downtown Disney, as long as Anaheim didn't ban smoking in public, it's not far to the street/public sidewalk.
I doubt that the smoking issue is that big a problem for Disney - or at least not enough of an issue to warrant an outright ban. I think you have these issues wherever you are. It is basically a case of not being able to have a smoker and a non smoker within a hundred feet of each other in a public area without someone raising the issue of his/her rights . That happens anywhere and everywhere.

I just do wish they would keep their maps up to date (have I mentioned this before?). I know it involves additional cost and work - but maybe they should consider this before moving the DSAs.......

Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #1190
outahere

Recent DSA info about OKW

My DW wants to stay at OKW for a few nights next month and I am wondering about DSAs there. I looked at the resort map on wdwinfo, and it looks like there are only 5 DSAs on the entire property. If anyone has stayed there recently, I would appreciate any up to date info.

Thanks.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #1191
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Unless things have changed - smoking is allowed outside the front/center of EVERY 'residential' building at Old Key West (and Saratoga Springs) as well as in specifically marked designated smoking areas. I know one DSA at OKW is, or was, in a little nook just to the left of the bar when you stand with your back to the river.

All the resort maps are here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1480681 but I don't know how current the DSAs are. Yeah, if you look at the map's key, next to the symbol for designated smoking area, it says "Designated Smoking Location (also at the front of each Guest room building)"
Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #1192
outahere

Quote:
Unless things have changed - smoking is allowed outside the front/center of EVERY 'residential' building at Old Key West (and Saratoga Springs) as well as in specifically marked designated smoking areas. I know one DSA at OKW is, or was, in a little nook just to the left of the bar when you stand with your back to the river.

All the resort maps are here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1480681 but I don't know how current the DSAs are. Yeah, if you look at the map's key, next to the symbol for designated smoking area, it says "Designated Smoking Location (also at the front of each Guest room building)"
Thanks for pointing that out. I missed the "also at the front of each Guest room building" part. Must be time for more coffee.......

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1193
kaytieeldr

Nah - coffee bad for you. It's not something most people WOULD notice - except devoted smokers, and devoted ANTI-smokers
Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #1194
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
I was wondering about totally non- smoking parks from the viewpoint that if the parks went non- smoking entirely, how many people would stll smoke in out of the way places, or in the case of our French visitors, would just keep on smoking?

Long sentance, I know. . I don't plan trips around smoking either, but I do dread staying at a resort where DSA's are few and far between. AKL springs to mind. If you get a room on the far side of the resort from a DSA you have a long hike to get to one!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #1195
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
I was wondering about totally non- smoking parks from the viewpoint that if the parks went non- smoking entirely, how many people would stll smoke in out of the way places, or in the case of our French visitors, would just keep on smoking?

Long sentance, I know. . I don't plan trips around smoking either, but I do dread staying at a resort where DSA's are few and far between. AKL springs to mind. If you get a room on the far side of the resort from a DSA you have a long hike to get to one!
I managed fine at ASMu last year and there were only 3 DSA's in the entire resort, one of which was just outside the main entrance (on the inside if you know what I mean).

I don't think it is in Disney's best interests to go all non smoking. People don't not go because there are smokers in designated areas. However I think people would be a little reluctant to go if they smoked and there was no accommodation for them to do so. Besides, it would be hypocritical in my opinion to ban smoking on the grounds of health - while serving growing children a choice of chicken nuggets and PB&J as their only options

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #1196
smidgy
dimples

I have a DSA quesstion about Vero Beach.

I looked at the map.. I didn't see any DSAs on the beach. is the whole beach non-smoking? I thought there would be 1 or 2 dsas on the side (much like at the water parks)
anyone know? thanks
smidgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #1197
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I managed fine at ASMu last year and there were only 3 DSA's in the entire resort, one of which was just outside the main entrance (on the inside if you know what I mean).

Besides, it would be hypocritical in my opinion to ban smoking on the grounds of health - while serving growing children a choice of chicken nuggets and PB&J as their only options
True that! Although they claim it's healthy nuggets and PB&J

I do have AsMu on my list of resorts to try. I didn't know there were only three DSA's there though. I had no trouble at POP or at BWI either. Smoking at AKL can be a little rough though! And I thought the easiest one to smoke at was SSR.

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #1198
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
True that! Although they claim it's healthy nuggets and PB&J
Agreed, but not for 2 weeks twice a day. I know I'm exaggerating but if that is classified as a balanced diet, so is my coffe in the left hand and cigarette in the right .....

Quote:
I do have AsMu on my list of resorts to try. I didn't know there were only three DSA's there though. I had no trouble at POP or at BWI either. Smoking at AKL can be a little rough though! And I thought the easiest one to smoke at was SSR.

I was okay with it. I am a single mom with one little girl so once we were in our room for the night, I wasn't going to go down anyhow as even if the DSA had been right outside, I wouldnt like to leave her. That said, I don't actually smoke inside my house at home, so I guess that helps. I also don't smoke immediately on waking in the morning so while I had no problems with it, I would never just state that it would be so for everyone. It is something to keep in mind though as it is quite a sprawled out resort. (WE loved it by the way - was worried about a value, but honestly, it was great. I would do it again - after we try POP next year).

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #1199
sunny45
Mouseketeer

We are staying at POP in the 70's building facing the lake since I remember our last visit there were many DSA's along the lake. DH is a smoker and this way he can just walk right out the door and down to the lake. Last time we were in the 80's bldg and he either went to the lake or to the laundry bldg by the Computer Pool.

Most of the DSA's located in the parks are in very nice out of the way area's and he never felt put out by having to go to these places to smoke. They were very pretty, nicely landscaped areas.
2001 Feb Caribbean Beach (DH & DD's)
2003 Aug Yacht Club (DH & DD's)
2007 Sept POP Century-25th anniversary-DH&I
2010 Dec POP 2 rooms (DH & adult DD's)
2013 Sept Disneyland (DH & I)
sunny45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #1200
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

My main concern in the Parks is finding th DSAs !! I wish they would label them and sign them !!! I frequently had to ask a CM !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: