Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #91
ses1230
DIS Veteran

When DD5 was a baby I never thought of using a tether, but I also didn't have an opinion about other parents using them b/c that's their parenting decision, not mine.

Then DD2 came along, and I changed my tune. She won't stay in the stroller and will hold hands for about 60 seconds before something intrigues her and she's off! We used the monkey backpack type last Sept, because that was our way of providing some security for her (and sanity for us!)

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
Old 03-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #92
Lyndria
Fort Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfollowers View Post
I have a Monkey back pack that has a leash on it that I put on my 2 yr old when I go to Disney or even when I go to the the store. I use it for a safety reason. He likes to walk which is good exercise for him instead of sitting in a stroller all day. He likes to run off and this way he can't just dart away from me when I look away for a second. Another reason I like to use it is because if I hold his hand I am having to hold it at the wrist because he like to try to pull away from me and I am always afraid that I will twist his wrist or hold to tight and break something in his hand. So that is why I use it and I am not ashamed to use it.

This is me as well. Same thing, down to the monkey backpack. I never had to use one with my first child, but #2 was a big time runner!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #93
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

I don't like them. I won't use them. I taught my kids early on either hold hands or sit in the stroller, decide on the lesser of 2 evils.

Here is my PSA: The wrist type leashes probably aren't safe for younger children. Small children are prone to "nursemaids elbow." Which is basically a dislocated elbow caused by pulling on the child's arm. It is easily fixed, but it is very painful for the child.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #94
minijenny
always dreaming

I'm 26 and my parents used to use a leash on me when I was probably ~2-4 years old. I was stubborn and would not hold hands. I wasn't a darter, but the opposite- I would stop, pout, and not follow anyone. Even if my parents walked out of sight, I wouldn't follow. Each year we spent a week on Sanibel Island and my dad used to tell people I was alligator bait.

I think they're a great tool for parents and they're a heck of a lot easier to maneuver than a stroller. I was never one for strollers either. Hmmm, no wonder my parents curse me that I'll have a child just like me . I have 7 more months to prepare myself.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #95
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

the leash i had the harnis go around her body and the leash part came out of the back.

this was really good when she was learning to walk (or pretty new at it) and would stumble or trip because it kept her from falling on her face.

interesting enough the one i have was sent to me from my aunt in England and my mother told me she had one like it when i was dd's age so they aren't new - at least not in England
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #96
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
How will the leash work on a 5 year old? A 5 year old will be able to release the latch. If they can't keep him from running off, how will they keep from removing the leash.
The puppy backpack leash I have is VERY tough to get off. Mine can either be harnessed on the side or the back of the puppy. I have a hard time getting it off, so I know a 5 yr old couldnt do it. Now the wrist leash is another story. He could probably get that one off.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #97
bcarson
Mouseketeer
I will second Orlando Bloom! But I have to raise you Sawyer, from lost. Ooh la la!

We used the harness type for my nephews when they were about 3 and 5. One is autistic and the other ADHD. I would challenge any person who doesn't think there necessary at all for any reason to walk around with the two of them for a couple of hours. I can almost gurantee your tune would change. When they were not in the stroller it reallly was a life saver.

Some people thought they were the greatest things when they saw us with them. Then at other times we got hateful comments. It was kind of funny at the MNSSHP my oldest nephew got down on all fours like a dog when he saw pluto. The picture was even better with the leash. lol!

For the record I never had to use them for my kids, but they are not special needs either. If I thought they needed them I wouldn't have hesitated.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #98
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

97 posts = 92 YES/If I had to and 5 No Ways...guess I'm gonna get stock in Disney harnesses

FWIW, DS needed one desperately, more because he hated strollers or anything else that limited his mobility. I love the idea that kids get lots of exercise using them too instead of lounging

DD was WAY too happy to lounge and never needed one. This child would spend her own money to rent a stroller at the mall because I felt she was too old and gave hers away, lol...
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #99
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Wait what's the problem with light up shoes? My youngest is several years out of them so I guess I have missed this "controversy" but it sounds intriguing.
I can't wait to hear this one..............
Light up shoes are just one topic that will cause drama on a parenting message board lol! Here's a few topics to avoid:

spanking
Circumcision
breast vs bottle
character clothes
big hair bows - there was HUGE drama on a board I was on
returning your shopping carts
Stay at home vs working mom
Harnessing

That's all I can think of at the moment
Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #100
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Don't forget;
Welfare
solid foods
co sleeping

and OMG what is with the hair bows, we had that one a few times floating around.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #101
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Oh I almost forgot one of the best rear facing car seats vs forward facing car seats shame on me!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #102
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
Light up shoes are just one topic that will cause drama on a parenting message board lol! Here's a few topics to avoid:

spanking
Circumcision
breast vs bottle
character clothes
big hair bows - there was HUGE drama on a board I was on
returning your shopping carts
Stay at home vs working mom
Harnessing

That's all I can think of at the moment
Most of those are hot topics here on the DIS. I have never seen a light up shoe, character clothes or big bow (I hate those things) thread on the DIS.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #103
2manypets
DIS Veteran

If they made those in adult sizes I would sure get one. DH stops in his tracks to take pictures and wonders off while I'm still in mid sentence. Once I held a full conversation with him and then realized he was still in Canada and I was almost to France!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #104
mariepapa
Miss Piggy Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
I to was a fantastic parent before having children, so many things I thought have come back and bit me on the backside I parent how I parent and let the rest of the world get on with doing the same.

Kirsten

Best thing said to date. We were all the best parents before we had kids.
Now we are lucky (and good parents) if we can make it through the day with our kids:
1)fed
2)clothed
3)alive
Pop Century: August 2009
CBR: April 2010

No trip planned right now
Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #105
rhpools
Mouseketeer

I never needed this for my child. She was the type if I stopped she bumped into me, but I do understand others need.

But the child "leashes" do entertain me and they give me a giggle.

June 1995 All Star Sport
May 2004 Boardwalk
Feb 2008 All Star Music
August 2008 Pop Century
September 2010 All Star Movie
August 2011 Pop Century
September 2012 All Star Sport
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: