Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
zhazhazsu
DIS Veteran

Oh I will totally be using one of those when I have Lil ones. I used to be a nanny for the most perfectly behaved 2 year old twins ever, and even then I wished for one from time to time. It is just too scary to loose one of them when they see something cool and bolt away from you.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
Jacklynn
Recently moved to Florida!

I'm not a parent yet but I like the idea of the backback ones, not so much the ones where they are attached to the wrist.

Basically though I've come to just respect other people's parenting models as their own and then make a decision as to what will or won't work for me when the time comes.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I used to hate seeing kids on leashed. But now I think it is better that they are on one then running wild. Some kids just don't like to hold hands and can't be trusted to stay by the parent.

But I do hate when I see a parent totally ignoring a child that they have on a leash. Just because you are using one doesn't mean you don't have to pay your child an attention. They are supposed to assist you in parenting, not replace your need to keep an eye on your child.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Here's a cute Mickey one I found at Kohls.com(and a Minnie and Pooh one too!)...I'm trying to decide if we should get on for our just turned 3 y.o. when we go as my in-laws are going along too and they may want to venture off with him on their own. It might be hard for them to run after him if he starts running! He's great at darting in and around people and could get lost quickly and easily!
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/baby...ness+Buddy.jsp

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
NancyDee
Mouseketeer

I never put a leash on my kids...just something I didn't do. If others feel the need to do this to keep their child safe, so be it.
I think the wrist bands work just as well ... they are like a plastic coil that attaches to each of your wrists.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I prefer to call it a "tether," not a leash...

And to answer your question, why does NASA put Astronauts on a tether?

I've never seen a mom sitting in the shuttle yanking on an astronauts neck, saying "Stop touching the merchandise"

Why do school yards put a ball on a tether?
- So they can smack it around, and spend some energy and aggression

Why do you put a dog on a leash?
- So the animal doesn't get away from you

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklynn View Post
I'm not a parent yet but I like the idea of the backback ones, not so much the ones where they are attached to the wrist.

Basically though I've come to just respect other people's parenting models as their own and then make a decision as to what will or won't work for me when the time comes.
Great answer
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #23
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

I want to put a leash on my 13yo step son. This will be his first trip with us and I have had to find him at a gas station before, the kid just wonders off as soon as you turn around.

On a serious note I don't have an issue with them. It is better then your child wondering off. I got one for my neighbor, she has 4 kids under 5 and you can try really hard but at some point your eyes are off one of them. One of hers is particularly bad about wondering off so that is why I got her the monkey backpack leash.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowXterra View Post
I There is lots of eye candy in the parks and even the adults get cought up in it, .
Odd anytime I have been to disney I havent seen much eye candy..usually its married fellows, who have been too well fed and too bald for my liking.
I would like to know when you are going and seeing all this eye candy? I may wish to try going at that time!!

I can see Disney's new promotion "The Eye Candy Season"
or

" A Year of a Million Eye Candies"

love it!!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

PS I love the Disney ones! We are undecided if we need one for our two year old. She is more mobile now but we are hoping for the inbetween rides she will stay in her stroller. As long as we stay moving she does not care but if we stop she wants out. She does not really run off though and is good at holding hands.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #26
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I would not do it. I think it's very weird.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
MontyMontyMOnty
Mouseketeer

We leashed once, with our oldest, who was a bit of a wanderer--she was two years old and we were bringing our second (6 months old) to Disney for the first time.

We never felt the need to leash her again, and never had to with the second one or the third--we just had one that liked to run, I guess

Come visit me at about.com--I write about Disney World!

Best Disney World Picks for Toy Story Fans

Top 10 Disney World Souvenirs for Kids

Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
disneymomma1978
Mouseketeer

we had one for our daughter for awhile, she was in a phase of not holding hands without fighting and the backpack was the only way we could let her out of the stroller to walk around a bit. I'd say we used it on/off while she was b/w 18 months and 2 years old. Fortunately she listens a bit better these days!!
of course some people will presume to be better parents than you and tell you it's wrong but if something affords your child a little more enjoyment while you know they're staying safe, who's to tell you it's not right?!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #29
MagicKingdom05
Loves to Travel
Had a good time in Cancun
I had to rub my eyes a couple of times to make sure the tag was real

We used one 2 weeks ago on vacation and it worked great. Our almost 2 year old likes to run when out of the stoller, and this way we know that she can't get very far. We plan to take it with us to Disney in the fall incase she wants to walk in Disney instead of traveling around in the stroller. We know that when were in the parks, she will want to see everything and dart away.

Jori: While you were only with us 8 months, your mother and I wouldn't trade the time we had with you for anything in the world. You will be missed, take care our little angle.

When he least expected it, he met his princess and became the luckiest man in the world .
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

When our oldest daughter was little we had to have one for her. She has ADHD and as a small child she was so impulsive she would take off in public situations and we were scared to death so often. Once in our local mall she ran away and hid in a store's fitting room. We couldn't find her anywhere for what seemed like hours. It was the scariest day of my life. After that we used a leash until she got a little older. For us it was a total safety issue. She is 12 now and thinks the stories of her on a leash as a preschooler are funny. If she only knew how scared she made me back then!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: