Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
strawberrysh
Earning My Ears

Port Orleans or Coronado Springs?

My hubby and I are planning a quick trip to Disney in April. We have always stayed in Value Resorts (because we are never in the room), but this time we want to try something different. I am looking at Port Orleans or Coronado (they are the same per night). We want something pretty and convienient with a nice pool. Which would you pick and if you pick Port Orleans...Riverside or French Quarter.

Thanks!!
strawberrysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrysh View Post
My hubby and I are planning a quick trip to Disney in April. We have always stayed in Value Resorts (because we are never in the room), but this time we want to try something different. I am looking at Port Orleans or Coronado (they are the same per night). We want something pretty and convienient with a nice pool. Which would you pick and if you pick Port Orleans...Riverside or French Quarter.

Thanks!!
You will find fans of both and those that dislike both. We've only stayed at the Coronado (eight times). I am a little surprised that you said they were the same price as the CSR is $5 more per night than the other moderates because they now have queen beds, flat screen televisions, new furnishings, a fitness center/spa, the largest hot tub of all the moderates, three quiet pools and a new nighttime lounge (no kids after 9 p.m.). We love everything about the CSR. As I said, we've only stayed at the CSR, but the POR-Riverside would be our second choice if the CSR were not available because we love their food court and it is a very pretty resort. We like the POFQ as well but we found their pool too crowded and their hot tub is very small and there are no quiet pools (although you can walk over to the POR and use their facilities...not something we want to do).

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either choice.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Personally of the 3 options we like French Quarter best. Riverside & Coronodo are too spread out for us. I like the smaller layout to French Quarter. Of course DH & I are not big pool people & when we eat it tends to be at Epcot for sit down meals - so dining & the pool were of little consideration for our choice.

I guess it really depends on what you want? Riverside has the sit down restaurant & YeeHaw Bob. Coronodo has Ricks (the bar) and a pretty nice pool from what I understand.

I'd say look at what is more important to you? Atmosphere? Dining? Pool? Extra activities? Proximity to parks/water parks? Etc. and let that guide you in your final choice.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Princess Amy
Fit for a Princess! <3

I liked Coronado, but I think POR is absolutely dreamy for some R&R with the hubby. Staying in the mansions section made me feel as if I would be seeing Scarlet and Rhett walk around the corner

Nov '14 CSR, Oct/Nov '13 CBR, Nov '12 Disney Dream and Pop, March '12 CBR, Sept/Oct '11 POFQ, August '10 CBR, Dec '09 Universal/Disney, June '09 POR, Sept '08 Pop, Dec '07 AKL/CSR, Oct '06 CBR, Mar '06 offsite, Dec '04 ASMo, Sept '01 ASMo, Apr '00 ASMo, Apr '98 Poly, Nov '97 WL, Nov '96 Poly, Aug '95 WL, Mar '92 Poly, Mar '91 Poly, Mar '88 CR, Nov '87 Poly, Nov '86 Poly

Princess Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Stitch_Is_King
Mouseketeer

We prefer POFQ. DW loves the New Orleans feel of the resort. It is a smaller resort so it has a much more intimate feel to it. Also, the bus stops there do not seem to be anywhere near as crowded as at Riverside.

Cheryl had great advice. Figure out what is most important to you and let that be your guide.

Stitch_Is_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Mr_G3
Mouseketeer

We have only stayed at CSR (our first trip as a family). We chose it for the quality of the rooms (all newly refurbished and very nice) and the main pool. I don't care about pools all that much, but my girls loved the Dig Site at CSR. We also used one of the quiet pools. Another plus for CSR is the Pepper Market - really good food, and a bargain if you are on QSDP as we were. It's not the easiest to navigate, but the food was always good, and that's mainly what we cared about. We also liked the location (we took our car every day and found it convenient). CSR is a beautiful resort.

Having said that, we are trying POFQ this summer. It was a hard choice, because we know CSR was great. We just decided to see what POFQ would be like, and then we'll have a comparison. Also, choosing POFQ gives us access to the pools and restaurants at POR, so we can more easily see both POR and POFQ. I like the looks of the Port Orleans resorts; POFQ is not as large as the other moderates, and that was the only thing I would call a drawback at CSR (although it really wasn't much of a problem). Location isn't that different, and we can boat to Downtown Disney - something you can't do at CSR. I don't think you can make a bad choice, so it really just comes down to what features you prefer.
Pop Century - June 2012
Mr_G3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: