Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Cool DISNEY'S FOR ADULTS! (September 2009 TR - Lots of Friends, Food, & Photos!)

As I'm doing a Disney Cruise in May and plan on doing a TR for that, I figured I'd try my hand at a Disney World one first, simply because if there is one thing I know...it's Disney World!

Introduction: I'm a 27-year-old Finance Manager. Currently, I live in South Carolina with my boyfriend of 1.5 years (he's 29), but when we went to Disney in September of last year, we were still living in Connecticut. And yes, that's part of our vacation story

Now, I'll begin this by admitting that I worked at Disney for about 5 years. Did the Walt Disney World College Program, was seasonal while I finished college (returning for nearly every school break/summer), and became a manager after I graduated college. I haven't worked there since 2006 (finally decided I simply couldn't live in Orlando--I loved my job and probably would have stayed were it not for being sick of the traffic and the cost of living). Although I had returned numerous times since I quit my job with Disney (twice in 2007, three times in 2008), our trip this past September was the first time I returned as a true-blue guest. We booked a full-on package--had to take the Magical Express from/to the airport, got the dining plan and the park hoppers with water park access, etc.

This trip was a big deal for my boyfriend and I because we booked it for our anniversary (we were there September 17-21, and our anniversary is the 20th of September). We wanted to make a big deal out of our one year anniversary for a few reasons, namely because (a) we have known each other since 1998 and it took us nearly 10 years to start dating, and (b) we were proud that we made it to one year, despite many obstacles that were out of our control--i.e. the fact that when we started dating, we lived 900 miles apart. Also, the first "real" vacation we took together was a long weekend in Disney over Halloween 2008, so what better idea than returning to Disney to celebrate our anniversary, right?

Speaking of which...here is a picture of us dressed up as Tinkerbell and Raoul from Fear & Loathing, at EPCOT on Halloween in 2008:

We booked our trip during the free dining promotion, sometime around May 2009, and booked our plane tickets with Southwest in August, about a month before we were going. Little did we know, we'd have a sort of wrench thrown in our plans! You see, my company was requiring me to re-locate to South Carolina in October. I found out about this at the very end of July, but was putting off doing much about it because I was seriously concerned that my relocation would mean leaving my boyfriend behind. When I told him what was going on, he immediately started looking for jobs in South Carolina--but we all know how the job market is nowadays, so I don't think either of us was very hopeful about the situation.

Thankfully...we got lucky! He ended up scoring a first interview at the very end of August, and it went so well that they wanted to schedule him for a second interview. The problem was--the only week they could do it, the only week where everyone who needed to meet him would be there, was the week we were going to Disney!

Everything ended up working out, obviously, or I wouldn't be doing this TR He flew from Connecticut to South Carolina on Wednesday the 16th, had his second interview the morning of the 17th, and then flew from South Carolina to Orlando; I took the Southwest flight we were scheduled on originally and met him down there on the 17th.

So begins the first "real" Disney trip I took since August 2001...more to come in a later post

Last edited by ickletarakins; 03-17-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: