Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #136
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc9500 View Post
I think they complement the real thing -- if you have any kind of commute they take you elsewhere and most have excellent readers. My rule is that the audio book has to be something I want to read but would never have the time. Ive gone thru many books that I would never have been able to look at.
I agree. I love to read but with my busy life there just isn't enough hours in the day. I have a book by the bed because it's about the only place I can expect to hold a book for a decent length of time...unfortunatly sleep usually wins.

With audio books I can be read to while I'm working in the orchard, doing dishes, walking the dog. I've managed to read at least 20 books this year and most of them pretty heafty as I choose the ones that are longer in length (Pillars of the Earth or Under the Dome for example are close to 30 hours in length). I can't do this though with books I've already read because I always have that picture in my head of what the characters sound like and noone else's voice will substitute that! Much the same way the movie actor never looks like the hero you read about.

Both my daughters love to read. They have book shelves full and we always read to them as little kids....now I'm letting someone read to me as an adult. Doesn't mean I value the printed word any less. After all some one had to put the words on paper to give to someone to read aloud! And with a period piece like Pirate Latitudes I find the accents the narrator does help transport me back to the 1600's. But that's because it happens to be a good narrator....

Back to the high seas......does anyone wonder if Hunter wasn't faking his inability to swim? Many sailors couldn't....

And as far as the stink....I chuckled at Hunter telling Mrs. Hacklett it was unhealthy to bathe....there was actually a period in time (1300's maybe) where it was considered a sin against God to bathe......thank heavens we've come along way!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #137
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hi All,

I think all of us are getting a little bit which is partially my fault for responding to a previous post about audio books. Let's return to the high seas!

By this point, everyone should have read Part I and will have read Part II by tomorrow. What is your impression of the first two sections of Pirate Latitudes? Which characters, if any, can you relate to at this point in the novel and why?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #138
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Hi All,

I think all of us are getting a little bit which is partially my fault for responding to a previous post about audio books. Let's return to the high seas!

By this point, everyone should have read Part I and will have read Part II by tomorrow. What is your impression of the first two sections of Pirate Latitudes? Which characters, if any, can you relate to at this point in the novel and why?
Well, so far so good. I'm enjoying the book but I don't "relate" to any characters because they are all very different from me. I just like going along for the adventure. I don't know what page number I'm on because I'm reading it on Kindle but it says I've read 45% of it. I'm interested to see what happens next.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #139
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

I dont' really "relate" to any of the characters, persay. MC is not a character writer. He's done little to develop any of these characters. The most dimensional to me is probably the Governer and that's about it.

It's something I was thinking of as I was contemplating a movie version. They'd really have to do some embellishing to get viewers to "buy in" to any of these people. I like the Lazue vibe; that's just cool.

And after reading Part III, (not to give anything away....) I'm sticking with my theory that this is a Pirate Ocean's 11!!!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #140
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
I dont' really "relate" to any of the characters, persay. MC is not a character writer. He's done little to develop any of these characters. The most dimensional to me is probably the Governer and that's about it.

It's something I was thinking of as I was contemplating a movie version. They'd really have to do some embellishing to get viewers to "buy in" to any of these people. I like the Lazue vibe; that's just cool.

And after reading Part III, (not to give anything away....) I'm sticking with my theory that this is a Pirate Ocean's 11!!!
It's funny that you should call it a Pirate's Ocean's 11. I thought the book was heading into familiar formula territory established by the Magnificent 7 (itself based on a 7 Samurai thing from Japan). Or any other buddy movie. I thought the characters were written to be interesting "characters" in their own right.

I immediately figured out that the Governor was a very sharp tack, figuring out politics very, very quickly. His new secretary? Far from it. Dumb as a bunch of rocks if he thinks the king would want to stop the privateering gravy train. My gaydar went off about him during one scene, too.

Hunter is written as the big anti-hero, and I do like him. He's got the same street smarts as the Governor. The only thing about the book I have to deal with are the harsh realities of violence and sadistic moments.

Overall I'm enjoying the book so far.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #141
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornteach View Post

Lets just say I was SHOCKED at who the Captain was....
I have listened to 6 of 8 discs. I have scanned the rest of the book in print to the end. I still do not know what is meant above.

If it is a spoiler, please PM me and let me know.

Of the characters - I like Lazue. Even though she moves about as a male, they know she is a female. It is bad luck to have a woman on a ship. She questioned Hunter, did he really want her on the voyage? Hunter wanted her because she has special skills.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #142
Bornteach

Lyn- I meant the Spaniard Captain when the Cassandra is captured. I expected that fight to come much later when they tried to overtake the fort.

I enjoy Lazue as well! She is feisty. I am fascinated by how easily the people of the time excepted her being a woman but living as a man.....

Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #143
tammyroo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi All

I found it a quick read. Not a lot of character development. I have found his characterization of every single woman in the book as a prostitute or as acting like one particularly distasteful. What is that about?
I can't really relate to any of the characters either. I'm relating it more to experiences I've had at museums, travel, etc which enhances the experience of reading the novel from a historical perspective.
FYI....At the Real Pirates exhibit today I saw a lot of the things talked about in the book like the grenades. I also learned what careening is....mentioned in the book in Part V, beginning of Ch 32: it the process of beaching the ship and hauling it over on its side to clean off barnacles, repairing the hull etc and left the ship and crew in a very vulnerable position. Never knew that and wouldn't have had any idea what the author was talking about if I hadn't seen the exhibit today.
tammyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #144
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

There were also a lot of sailing words that I had no idea what they were. I should've googled them, but I'm lazy.

I told my hubby this and he said "Try reading Master and Commander sometime; that one's REALLY hard!!"

Just finished it and would agree that it's a great adventure novel. MC sets up his action scenarios so well and they play pretty nail-bitingly. Is that a word??

And yes, I'd agree with the PP's previous comment about the women, BUT the men are no saints either. Everyone is pretty dispicable in their own right.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #145
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if I relate to them or not but I think the story behind both Anne and Lazue could be stand alone novels on their own! Love these two characters.

I think I've always tended to romanticize privateers because I'm a direct descendant of a few (rum runners too) and I like to think my relatives could have held their own on the Cassandra!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #146
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I agree about Lazue and Anne. I'm really, really surprised that Lazue is even accepted at all because of her living like a man. During the 1600s, that isn't necessarily that was well received.

Anne's character intrigues me. I'd love to know more about her backstory, i.e. the one that involved her being labeled a "witch." That could definitely be a book onto itself. She's a very mysterious type of character and I think that the potential for depth is strong.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #147
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I kind of got the sense from reading other time period books that being labled a witch was sort of a fall back accusation....especially if you were a strong minded woman. Best part of labling someone a witch (for the accuser!) was that they only way to prove she wasn't was basically to kill her!

The witch reference comes up again and sadly this is one of those areas I wish MC had expanded on but of course that will never happen now.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #148
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

It never ceases to amaze me how inventive men can be when it comes to torture.....I hate rats.....

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #149
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Boy, I was so wrong about my first impression of one of the characters, now that I've finished the book. I also found another typical "formula" I've seen in movies by the end of the book.

And I think the only female characters I liked where Anne and Lazue. Both garnered a lot of respect, even when they had to do things a bit unorthodox.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #150
A.Mickey
Meeska Moouska

I don't know if I am late or not, I didn't want to read through the whole thread and have secrets reveled, but I just picked this book up at the library today! I am a couple weeks behind on the podcast and just heard this mentioned. Thank you Kevin and Nikki!! What a great idea! Gotta go catch up on some reading.
A.Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: