Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #11
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc9500 View Post
I think they complement the real thing -- if you have any kind of commute they take you elsewhere and most have excellent readers. My rule is that the audio book has to be something I want to read but would never have the time. Ive gone thru many books that I would never have been able to look at.
I agree. I love to read but with my busy life there just isn't enough hours in the day. I have a book by the bed because it's about the only place I can expect to hold a book for a decent length of time...unfortunatly sleep usually wins.

With audio books I can be read to while I'm working in the orchard, doing dishes, walking the dog. I've managed to read at least 20 books this year and most of them pretty heafty as I choose the ones that are longer in length (Pillars of the Earth or Under the Dome for example are close to 30 hours in length). I can't do this though with books I've already read because I always have that picture in my head of what the characters sound like and noone else's voice will substitute that! Much the same way the movie actor never looks like the hero you read about.

Both my daughters love to read. They have book shelves full and we always read to them as little kids....now I'm letting someone read to me as an adult. Doesn't mean I value the printed word any less. After all some one had to put the words on paper to give to someone to read aloud! And with a period piece like Pirate Latitudes I find the accents the narrator does help transport me back to the 1600's. But that's because it happens to be a good narrator....

Back to the high seas......does anyone wonder if Hunter wasn't faking his inability to swim? Many sailors couldn't....

And as far as the stink....I chuckled at Hunter telling Mrs. Hacklett it was unhealthy to bathe....there was actually a period in time (1300's maybe) where it was considered a sin against God to bathe......thank heavens we've come along way!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: