Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #1336
tttessa
DIS Veteran

Of course we will have to go through Hogsmead to HP "land" - that's where the shops are! So even if the little ones can barely ride anything at all, they will still get their pocket money off them. It hasn't been built just for us to enjoy - but for "them" to make a profit.... and if you have to go through/past shops selling brightly coloured, whizzing, banging, scented stuff, they make more....

Tessa

WDW -Holiday Inn Idrive 98, Virgin 3 bed villa April ,2008, Virgin villa Oct 2010
DLRP - Disneyland Hotel May06, DCR April 12-17 2007
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #1337
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

If you come through the Jurassic Park way and want to get to Forbidden Journey or Flight of the Hip. it looks like you can bypass going through Hogsmeade since that's on the southern section of WWOHP.
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #1338
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

From Screamscape
http://screamscape.com

Quote:

2010 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - (3/9/10) New pictures taken around IOA have been posted to Behind the Thrills this week, where it looks like the former Dueling Dragons tracks are being repainted slightly different shades as part of their transformation into Dragon’s Challenge. Meanwhile they’re working on Hulk now too it seems.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #1339
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

I was a bit skeptical when Behind The Thrills thought the blue track looked brighter as I just can't see them repainting the blue track blue again. The dragons they're based on are red and brown. Wouldn't really fit with them if one was purposely repainted blue . Not saying they chose the best combo since there's a green HP dragon that would've gone better with the red one, but they're advertising it as Hungarian Horntail and Chinese Fireball so should stick to their respective colours.

Someone on OU posted a photo which looks like the tracks have been sanded ready for a repaint, which is great
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #1340
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire-Bear View Post
I was a bit skeptical when Behind The Thrills thought the blue track looked brighter as I just can't see them repainting the blue track blue again. The dragons they're based on are red and brown. Wouldn't really fit with them if one was purposely repainted blue . Not saying they chose the best combo since there's a green HP dragon that would've gone better with the red one, but they're advertising it as Hungarian Horntail and Chinese Fireball so should stick to their respective colours.

Someone on OU posted a photo which looks like the tracks have been sanded ready for a repaint, which is great
I really don't want to see blue and red tracks again it just doesn't fit with the rest of the land. It fit fine with the Lost Continent because it was much more colorful, but Harry Potter is much darker, and less colorful (not that its a bad thing)

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #1341
eddiemcgarrigle
Mouseketeer

Does IOA have a history of soft openings? I will be in Orlando until May 22nd and my wife is somewhat disappointed that she'll miss seeing the Wizarding World.

So, what do you think the chance is of a soft opening?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #1342
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcgarrigle View Post
Does IOA have a history of soft openings? I will be in Orlando until May 22nd and my wife is somewhat disappointed that she'll miss seeing the Wizarding World.

So, what do you think the chance is of a soft opening?
There's always a chance but remember...soft openings happen at various times w/o notice and could be open five minutes or five hours. You definately don't want to plan around a soft opening. I think there's a good chance but again...nothing is guaranteed.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #1343
GrumpyFamilyof5
DIS Veteran

ok I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but what is a soft opening??
7/91-1st time@ Disney w/Grandparents!(Larsons Lodge),1/92-offsite,3/01-Diplomat Inn,2/02-offsite(car stolen) 7/06-ASMo,10/06-POP(MNSSHP),3/07-POP,7/07-Best Western Lakeside(SW,Cypress Gardens),6/08-Royale Parc Resort(Seaworld & P&PP),11/08-ASMu(MVMCP),6/10-Best Western Lakeside(Epcot/BG),9/10-Super 8 Maingate,2/13-ASsp/Comfort Suites Maingate East,10/13 Rodeway Inn Maingate(F&W),3/14 Royal Pacific,6/14 Rodeway Inn Maingate

Me DH DS(22) DS(13) DD(16) Jasper Precious
Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #1344
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyFamilyof5 View Post
ok I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but what is a soft opening??
It's like a dress rehearsal where the rides are opened in test mode and park guests who are lucky enough to be there at the time can try out the attraction. Everything is in test mode so there is no schedule for testing.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #1345
Clifton
Earning My Wizardhat

Either way it's the same ride(s), just everyone wants to check out the Pott-Head theming inside the DD castle. I mean DD's theme has that scarish and awesome enough theme, especially the "Ice" room with the hanging knights.

I'll see it to believe it when it comes to HP's theming being "darker". Now Forbidden Journey I can see that, not DD (DC).
1st trip to MK (late 80's), HS/MGM-Studios (94), MK (97), Night of Joy MK (97), AK (98 when everythings new lol), Epcot (97), Night of Joy (98), Night of Joy (99), Grad Nite MK (00), AK, Epcot, HS, MK solo (07), Park hop AK, MK, Epcot (7/24/07 Bday), Park hop AK, Epcot and MK (4/08), AK (4/09), MK, Epcot, AK, DHS (2011)
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #1346
ready4mouse
Mouseketeer

I saw that the Dis has the link to the Grad Bash night at US and they are still advertising WWHOP will be available to them... any thoughts on that?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #1347
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Screamscape
http://screamscape.com

Quote:

2010 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - (3/10/10) All new pictures taken of the Wizarding World can be found this week over at Worthington Photo and Orlando Rocks. The first link is something a little different from your typical construction update. These are a little more on the artsy side, playing with focus effects, shadows and lighting and one really nice one showing off the sun gleaming through one of Hogwarts spires.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #1348
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2311 View Post
Think of this on a track and that'll be pretty close to what to expect

YouTube
Yuck. That looks awful. Just watching it makes me sick to my stomach!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #1349
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesfamily View Post
Yuck. That looks awful. Just watching it makes me sick to my stomach!
It isn't going to be anywhere that severe. We have to remember that we will be interacting with our surroundings and not just flipping around. If something moves towards you, you will move back, etc. The purpose of the arm is not to make you sick but to give you the feeling of appropriate response.

There would be no point in spending kabazillions of dollars on scenery if you are not going to see any of it.

There's no way I would ride that kuka arm at Legoland.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #1350
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

That legoland one will be very different. That ride is specifically desgiend to throw you around. There's no scenery to it.
In FJ, the point of the Kuka is to help immerse you in the scenery. Odds are likely we won't go upside down at all, just have some quick movements.

Just to quote a post from Wizarding World forum:
"I had a conversation with someone from media services this week, although they are not giving much away and advise to keep checking the web site, she did say that they hope to have something open at some point over the Easter period"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: