Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #46
ynottony99
Ask me about the Mickey Waffles!!!!!!!

A few more

I thought I would put up a few more photos from a couple of weeks back. Maybe someone will spot something that is of interest.

One thing I have never paid much attention to is the area to the west or right of RC as you look from the lake. There is a metal building and boat dock there. Anyone know just what it's function is?

ynottony99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #47
Tigger1966
Addicted to Disney

I like this view just not what I see

Not sure if I am suposed to repost these If not let me know and I will remove them. Otherwise enjoy
1984 High School Graduation Present 1987 Honeymoon2002 Family Vacation 1 At The Fort 2003 Family Vacation 2 At The Fort 2005 Family Vacation 3 At The Fort 2006 Family Vacation 4 At The Fort 2008 Family Vacation 5 At The Fort 2009 Had a Great Time Despite The Flood 2010 Trip Down The Drain 2011 trip Was A Success

Tigger1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
DisCamper
Just waiting for the next WDW trip

Over the Summer while we were sneaking around taking pictures of RC, we ran across that building. It looks to be a break room used by Lake Patrol.
DisCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #49
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

It's a break area for cast, life guards, rec, watercraft.

I really want to get back out there, but chicken out with the cold. Although this week is supposed to be warming up again.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #50
ynottony99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post
It's a break area for cast, life guards, rec, watercraft.

I really want to get back out there, but chicken out with the cold. Although this week is supposed to be warming up again.
Yes it is suppose to be warming up this week. I hope you can make it over, and come back with some info./photos of whats happening.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #51
ynottony99

Inspired by Tigger1966's post, I started doing some Google Earth snooping. I wanted to see where the road from the break area went to. It simply goes to the service area behind the TDC. But I did notice something I was unaware of. There is a trail along the lake that runs from the WL DVC. Now I knew there was a jogging trail that ran from FW to WL, along side of the service road.
But this seems to be a well defined trail that leaves the beach behind WL and then comes to an end well before it would make it to the RC area.

Has anyone explored this area?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #52
cavecricket
Disney Bride -to- Wife / DIsney Mom to be! July 4th 2010!

This makes me so sad

I grew up at River Country and have such fond memories. I try not to see the emtpy deserted graveyard as it stands and instead try to vision what it once was.
I have some amazing footage I recently put on DVD from reel to reel of River Country when I was a child. It brings tears to my eyes when I watch it.

VISIT MY *NEW* DISNEY WEDDING PLANNING JOURNAL

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post24687905

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617110
cavecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #53
ftwildernessrick
Wishing I was there.

I had always hoped they would have rehabbed RC. It was kind of like having our own water park. Before they closed it, there were rumors of allowing FW guests free access to it. I used to keep an annual pass for it for our use while staying at FW.

I always assumed they would just seal RC water off from the lake, drain it, then concrete the bottom and reopen it as a self-contained water system, like the other water parks. Since it was used a lot even after the other water parks opened, I assumed it would be justification to keep it open. But after a year of being abandoned, I knew that was not going to happen.

Now it is a fading memory of the ole' swimming hole that I and my kids grew up with.

Goodbye RC, we will miss you.

ftwildernessrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #54
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

If you notice where the circle is, there's a fork in the path. To the left takes you past a fence, and towards the cast area. To the right, takes you back out towards the service road and onto the paved bike path.

The jogging path leads you to behind the WLV, the bike path leads you to the front of it.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #55
ynottony99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post

If you notice where the circle is, there's a fork in the path. To the left takes you past a fence, and towards the cast area. To the right, takes you back out towards the service road and onto the paved bike path.

The jogging path leads you to behind the WLV, the bike path leads you to the front of it.
Thanks for the info. I always thought the bike path and jogging path were one in the same. I guess I need to explore this jogging path, just to say I have been there. Hope it's ok to walk on the jogging path!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #56
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynottony99 View Post
Thanks for the info. I always thought the bike path and jogging path were one in the same. I guess I need to explore this jogging path, just to say I have been there. Hope it's ok to walk on the jogging path!
I have walked on the "jogging path" before. I prefer the paved path though - I always end up with a lot of sand in my shoes on the "jogging path". I would think joggers would prefer the paved path as well. The "jogging path" takes off from WL right near the bike rentals, and I've seen a lot of cyclists take it as a shortcut to the paved bike trail.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #57
Disney Ron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I have walked on the "jogging path" before. I prefer the paved path though - I always end up with a lot of sand in my shoes on the "jogging path". I would think joggers would prefer the paved path as well. The "jogging path" takes off from WL right near the bike rentals, and I've seen a lot of cyclists take it as a shortcut to the paved bike trail.
I don't believe that is called a jogging path, I think it's called the Nature Trail. The jogging and bike paths are one in the same.

Disney Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #58
I'mDownWithDisney
Mouseketeer

I rode my mountain bike down the trail to WL and then back up to the little shed. There is really not much to it....just a table, building, some fenced off pipes and such for RC. I also rode up behind the stables and into the cast member parking area, but I didn't stick around too long.
I'mDownWithDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #59
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ron View Post
I don't believe that is called a jogging path, I think it's called the Nature Trail. The jogging and bike paths are one in the same.
I concur. It would have to be called, "Extreme Jogging Path" since the chance of twisting an ankle is high.

I liked it when the Bike/Jogging Path was a Fitness Trail. Much more nature like and the exercise stations were neat. Used very little also.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: