Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
hockey mom
Loves to do the Napkin Dance at Chef Mickeys!
That's what I call soaking up the atmosphere

So glad they changed this. My son stood waiting for this show long before anyone even showed up and did not get picked. I was so upset for him and it has always been the one sore spot I have had with Disney.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Soprano
Not a Disney geek

I'm glad they changed it. Last time in Cali, with our two kids, my boy got picked first as he was waving and wearing an Anaheim Angels cap , my daughter was quite reserved, but had her hand up. Thankfully she too got picked. It could have gotten real messy if only one of them got picked.

At least this way is fair, even if you have to wait in line longer.
Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
cg1200
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if they added a line for the Pirate training thing at MK too? My middle son did not get picked one year (but my oldest did) and he sobbed for 10 minutes. He loves Jack Sparrow.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
GAmommy
Earning My Ears

We were there over President's Week. We got in line at 9:25 for the 9:50 show. My kids were # 18 & 19 and both made it to the ground training. They took 24-30 for each show. If you are in the first 12-15 you will be on stage and the others on the ground in a roped off area. They do ask their age (you need to be 4-12) and two other ?'s. If they won't answer them they may not let them go is what we were told. They all did the show at the same time. Darth Vader fought the kids on stage and the Dark Sith fought the kids on the ground.
GAmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
vtwep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmommy View Post
They took 24-30 for each show. If you are in the first 12-15 you will be on stage and the others on the ground in a roped off area.....They all did the show at the same time. Darth Vader fought the kids on stage and the Dark Sith fought the kids on the ground.
Wow - this sounds neat. We were there in December. My nephew waited in line and was on stage. At that point, they did not have a lower area and the Dark Sith...so,this sounds new and a new way to double the number of kids that can experience the show. Can't wait to see it.

Previous Trips:
Early '80s - not much recollection!
1992 - Offsite Stay
Mar 1995 - Offsite Stay
Nov 2007 - Yacht Club / Water View Room 3047
Dec 2008 - Grand Floridian / MK View, Sago Cay Room 5440
Dec 2009 - Polynesian / MK View, Tahiti Room 3021
Oct 2010 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 1, Room 627
Nov 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 4, EPCOT view
Nov 2013 - Boardwalk Inn / Boardwalk View Room 3241
vtwep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Moon Child
On a Permanent Vacation

My oldest DS was picked (the old way) during our last trip and I always tell
him how fortunate he was and that alot of kids were heart broken
Lucikly, his little brother could care less, he was just happy to watch the show

I am also glad it's been changed, I think it's much more fair
Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

What time do they arrive to "pick you" prior to the show? Is the queuing area outside or inside. I ask because I wondered if I could arrive 5 or so minutes before my DS5 and "hold a spot" - we have very slow movers coming with on this trip!

Sydnerella's Mama
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #23
SignMeUp
DIS Veteran

I think you would want to take your ds5 with you to hold his spot. I bet the other parents/kids in line would frown on you holding a spot for your son if he's not with you (and the CMs might not allow it). Just take him along and let the slow movers in your party catch up to you and your ds at their pace.

Kids' first trip: April 25 - May 2, 2009 Contemporary upgraded to MK view! Surprise trip (shhh! don't tell my kids!): May 29 - June 5, 2010 Beach Club

Universal trip to see WWoHP: February 12 - 16, 2011 Royal Pacific Resort Finally going back!!! December 14 - 21, 2012 Poly
SignMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #24
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #25
Nicsmom
DIS Veteran

I do believe there is some shade in some spots but not the entire line. Keep in mind that not everyone needs to wait in line. This is how we did it. I ran with my DS5 to Star Tours to get in line for the training. My DH ran to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and then shopped, got breakfast with my DD16. We were #14 only one other child behind us made it into the training. This fills up quickly. I was told they only take 14 to 16 kids. I think it depends on family size. They would never let one child of one family do it and make the other wait. My advice is go early and run.
Nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
drinkme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey mom View Post
So glad they changed this. My son stood waiting for this show long before anyone even showed up and did not get picked. I was so upset for him and it has always been the one sore spot I have had with Disney.
The same thing happened to us! We got to the show about an hour before it started and were the first ones there. My son wasn't picked. GRRRR!!!!!

The line seems fair.
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #27
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
What time do they arrive to "pick you" prior to the show? Is the queuing area outside or inside. I ask because I wondered if I could arrive 5 or so minutes before my DS5 and "hold a spot" - we have very slow movers coming with on this trip!

Sydnerella's Mama
They will not let you "hold" the spot, your child will need to be there.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #28
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

billwendy..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2darlingboys View Post
But be prepared, the area is not covered and is located at a dead end, which gets extremely hot in the mid-morning sun!! You may want to bring a towel or something to sit on or cover yourselves with. I could feel my arms burning while we waited.

It is a great treat though, and worth a reasonable wait, if your kids get called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicsmom View Post
I do believe there is some shade in some spots but not the entire line. Keep in mind that not everyone needs to wait in line. This is how we did it. I ran with my DS5 to Star Tours to get in line for the training. My DH ran to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and then shopped, got breakfast with my DD16. We were #14 only one other child behind us made it into the training. This fills up quickly. I was told they only take 14 to 16 kids. I think it depends on family size. They would never let one child of one family do it and make the other wait. My advice is go early and run.
billwendy,

With this information I would make sure you have an umbrellas or something to cover yourselves with!! Although I haven't been there yet, I've beed reading a LOT of what the other WONDERFUL Disers have been writting and suggesting!! And this may effect you in other areas of the parks as well!!! Have Fun!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #29
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

I say NO HOLDING SPOTS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post

Sydnerella's Mama
I'd be VERY upset if my son was in line and would make the cut off, and suddenly other kids showed up late to join their group who were "holding spots" for them and then my son got cut off from participating!!

I'd actually end up saying something to the CM running the show!!

Sorry, that just would not be fair to others!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
rescuetink

NEVERMIND!!!!! Ummmmmmm what's the "Pirate Training thing"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1200 View Post
Does anyone know if they added a line for the Pirate training thing at MK too? My middle son did not get picked one year (but my oldest did) and he sobbed for 10 minutes. He loves Jack Sparrow.
I'm not really sure if my son likes Star Wars or pirates more, I'll have to wait till his next birthday to see what theme he picks, but I didn't hear about a Pirate Training!!!

Enlighten me please!!!! What is it and where???

Thanks!!!

I just found the information at the link posted earlier in this thread by reelmom!! Thanks anyway!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: