Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #76
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

The earthworms got me too....that was my first EWWWWW moment. I always imagined I'd have been low-born so no access to these indulgences but for the most part I don't think that, unless you were an alchemist, you would have any idea what was in the mixture, let alone that it was killing you (lead). I think I'd have seen it as a hassle....just as I do now, hence I'm a no make up gal!

In truth I was a little worried about Chapter one because it wasn't catching me. That was until we got to the convict women (that may not have been chapter one though....I'm listening to it in audio)
Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #77
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Okay everyone! I'm on the waiting list at the library! I can't wait to start it so I can join in! I'm just too poor to buy it!
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #78
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
Okay everyone! I'm on the waiting list at the library! I can't wait to start it so I can join in! I'm just too poor to buy it!
Please don't think yourself as too poor to buy the book.
You are using your resources wisely. Not only are you not spending money on the pook, you don't have to give it storage space in our home after you have read it. (Yes, I am a librarian.)

I hope you get the book soon and we will all soon be reading and discussing in about the same place.

I am listening. Just started disc two of eight. It is nine hours long. I am really enjoying how the narrator voices the different charactres.

I am hoping there will be more about the women who came over on the ship. But I have an idea this is not really "their story".
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #79
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I'm sure we would all be using whatever is common for the day and class that we lived in. And don't forget the leeches! These are the details I like. And yes, sometimes I do go looking up things like to find out if that is really true. I like reading about the everyday life of people in historic times.

He definately shows the less glamorous side of history. Which is what I like about this book and also the Time Line book he wrote. We often have this fairytale Disney image of the past (and I enjoy those versions too obviously!) but it wasn't all charming and we would probably be shocked if we were to actually meet someone from the 1600s even if they were considered the upper class.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #80
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Please don't think yourself as too poor to buy the book.
I am listening. Just started disc two of eight. It is nine hours long. I am really enjoying how the narrator voices the different charactres.

The book also comes on one disc mp3
He's the same guy who read Dean Konntz's Frankenstein trilogy - his voice is deeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Nikki - since we know this will be a movie in the future - should we nominate actors to fit the characters?

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #81
steamboat will
Mouseketeer

HEY! all
Nikkibelle, just heard about the book club on the podcast. Kevin mentioned you'd be putting a schedule together to say by what date we should all read to a certain chapter so we can all discuss the same stuff. sounds like a good idea, is this whats happening.

Getting my copy tomorrow, in paper!!! that stuff that existed before the kindle. O i so need a kindle.

SW
steamboat will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #82
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat will View Post
HEY! all
Nikkibelle, just heard about the book club on the podcast. Kevin mentioned you'd be putting a schedule together to say by what date we should all read to a certain chapter so we can all discuss the same stuff. sounds like a good idea, is this whats happening.

Getting my copy tomorrow, in paper!!! that stuff that existed before the kindle. O i so need a kindle.

SW
Welcome! I am trying to get a hold on how often everyone can read so I only put one date up thus far, March 13th. We're shooting to have read Part I by then. The discussion will go focus on that section from hereon and then we'll move to the second section.

Trust me, I am a paper kinda gal myself. I am reading the old-fashioned way as well.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #83
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

We’ve mentioned earthworms and leeches but how about that oil of a red haired dog concoction!

Last edited by Applemomma; 03-05-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: got my doggie mixture wrong :)
Applemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #84
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Good one! I forgot about that! -hurl-

I like the idea of casting the movie. Anyone have ideas so far for who could play each character? I'm not that far in yet and am not sure what my choices will be.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #85
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
What about ebook format Michelle? I got it from my library that way.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #86
KittyKitty
DIS Veteran

Michael Crichton is one of my favorites,started reading him way back with Andromeda Strain. Seems like they all had a message to them.

I'm on the waiting list at the library,so may not start for awhile, but will be there for the discussions!

Thanks so much for starting this book club!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #87
ScubaD
She is my Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Welcome to those of you coming on board!!

I'm enjoying everyone's thoughts on the controversey surrounding the publication of Pirate Latitudes. It's definitely a hot topic. If you haven't chimed in yet, see the original post below for some background links on the web and a question up for discussion.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=33

I began reading last night. Although I haven't gotten far in just yet (it's parent-teacher conference week - ugh lol), I found myself very interested by a few things in the first chapter. On page 5, Crichton describes several articles Governor Almont uses to get clean:

"Richards set out the articles of toilet: a fresh basin of rosewater, another of crushed myrtle berries, and a third small bowl of tooth powder with the toothcloth alongside."

I remember first using rosewater as a skin regimen after visiting the Grand Floridian Spa where they used it during a facial. It is such a beautiful treatment and really awakens the senses. I had no idea it was used in the 1600s for cleansing purposes.

Crichton later reveals that the "tooth powder" is a concoction made of "powdered rabbit's head, pomegranate peel, and peach blossom," (6). Could you imagine cleaning your teeth with something like that? I know that pomegranate juice is all the rage right now, but the peel mixed with a rabbit's head? We also learn that Almont used a "paste of olive oil, ashes, and ground earthworms to prevent his hair from turning white" (5). I think the earthworms would push me over the edge.

I also found his make up interesting. On page 7, it says he used white lead and vinegar to color his face along with a red dye of seaweed. Again, I found these products interesting. When I was in college, I studied medieval literature and learned much about the hygiene products used back then. I don't recall hearing about animal parts or vinegar being a part of the equation.

What are your thoughts on these hygiene products? If you lived in the 1600s, would you feel comfortable using them? What was the most interesting part of Chapter 1 for you?

I'm off to read Chapter 2. Happy reading!
I noticed that right off too. I am thinking the author is attempting to develop an attitude of this character as being "better" than others. This governor, on a "god-forsaken" island, where the smells are wretched as soon as you leave the mansion wants to be more than he deserves. Will this attitude come into play later? Will this attitude destroy him? Is he deserving of such a life?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #88
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaD View Post
I noticed that right off too. I am thinking the author is attempting to develop an attitude of this character as being "better" than others. This governor, on a "god-forsaken" island, where the smells are wretched as soon as you leave the mansion wants to be more than he deserves. Will this attitude come into play later? Will this attitude destroy him? Is he deserving of such a life?
I think it starts to paint the picture of a man who is doing the best he can given the situation he finds himself in; that even though he finds himself on that "god forsaken island" he is not willing to do with less or tolerate less...which does come into play later.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #89
Minnie&Mickey
I want to live at the Fort!

I downloaded a sample of this to my Kindle, but just couldn't get into it. I'm very excited about the Book Club, so I might have to give it one more try. Thanks for organizing this, Nikki!

Minnie&Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #90
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Having a bpot pf sciatica today...so there is a lot of time to sit and read.

I'm enjoying the story very much.

I would not have been a good pirate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: