Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #61
dizneedoll
Curioser and Curioser

I don't post often over on the podcast board too often but I love the idea of a book club! Thanks for taking it on Nikki. I read Pirate Latitudes about a month ago. I don't want to discuss too much of the plot yet so I don't spoil it for others. But I'll just say of all the Crichton books I've read this was pretty much the worst one. Not that is was bad, just not as good as his other works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Yes, a part of me is wondering how do we know he really wrote it? Especially since it is so different from his others.
I wondered the same thing. I've read almost all of his books and this one doesn't feel like him at all. I wondered what the story behind the "lost" manuscript was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
I'm a few chapters into it and I'm enjoying it. But be wary - this is not our beloved Pirates of the Caribbean. This is what went on in the back alleys!
True. But there are a lot of similarities to the Pirates movies. I wondered if he maybe wrote the book, then went to the movies and saw POTC and walked out thinking "oh crap, well I guess I won't be publishing that"
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #62
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

I will only ask one thing of the folks posting on this particular thread and that is that we keep this thread to the discussion topic at hand.

We have a great many "social" threads where peeps can be checked on, post counts can be increased, expensive purses can be oohed over etc....

This thread will be for the discussion of this particular book.

I really liked this "rule" in Kevin's first post.

Please keep other titles and socializing on other threads. This will make it easier to read the discussion of the one book we are reading together.

Thanks!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #63
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

This books sounds good. I like most books by Michal Crichton books. Happy reading everyone!
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #64
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I really liked this "rule" in Kevin's first post.

Please keep other titles and socializing on other threads. This will make it easier to read the discussion of the one book we are reading together.

Thanks!
Thanks for chiming in, Lyn. I agree with this rule, too, and think everyone's doing a great job with it. Of course, a line or two slightly off topic will happen, but it's all in good fun and adds dynamics to the thread.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #65
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

While I like this idea a lot, I'm not going to join in on the detailed discussion this time since I just finished the book and I am not going to read it over again. But I will chime in from time to time.

In general, I liked this book. I did feel it started to drag a little in the middle. But that might be because of my low attention span.

Also, I'm used to Crichton's more tech-related books (like Jurassic Park), so this was a different experience for me.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #66
Northern_Julie
Mouseketeer

I didn't know he had passed away. This brings up so many questions to me in how it was edited. The relationship between an author and editor can be a slippery slope to keep the original intent intact. This could very well be his work but it was edited without his imput it may not be the adventure he intended after editing.

I haven't read Micheal Crichton in many years. Something his work has always done for me is made me go an look things up. I have an archivist background and find myself looking into the time period to paint a more vivid picture. I took a natural dying workshop a year ago and ended up looking up the dyes he was describing in the first chapter.
Is it the chroic researcher in me or do other people find themselves looking into the time period and other tiny details?
Northern_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #67
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Got the book out today from the library! Now I just have to get to reading! Hopefully have some time over the weekend!

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #68
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Julie View Post
I
Is it the chroic researcher in me or do other people find themselves looking into the time period and other tiny details?
I think reading awakens imagination and curiosity by design. I actually looked up the origins of snuff yesterday.

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #69
Bornteach

Ok I am in too! It is a FAR cry from what I normally read but I am willing to give it a try for the experience.

Not to off topic but my favorite book of all time is a children's book. I would love to talk before our next book if anyone would be up for a mini-book group!

Nikki- Thank you so much! This is going to be fun!

1971- Off site Titusville 1981- Off site Rode Monorail before Epcot opened! 8/2001- Off site Honeymoon - bought DVC 1/2004 - Babymoon with Mom - Beach Club 8/2005- Family Vacation - Beach Club 4/2006- SSR with just the 3 of us 12/2006 - Beach Club (Cole’s first trip!) 2/2007- OKW Family trip 5/2007- OKW Girls weekend 8/2007- Labor Day weekend Boardwalk 6/2008- VWL 40th birthday 7/2008- OKW with friends 9/2008- Labor Day weekend - CR 12/2008- Christmas at OKW 7/2009- Molly & Me DCL & Beach Club 9/2009- Labor Day Weekend, just the two of us - CB 12/2009- DAP & Christmas Trip - CS & OKW 5/2010 - Girls Weekend AKL! 7/2010- Family Trip OKW 9/2010- Labor Day Weekend to Celebrate our Ten years together!! 7/2011 - Kids first time to AKL 8/2011 - Backstage Magic ABD! 2/2012 - Sick Trip (UGH) ASM 4/2012 - Redo Trip! 7/2012 - Beach Club & DCL from NY
Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #70
thunderbird1
DIS Veteran

Another newbie (to this board) joining in! I'm a long time podcast listener who loves to read, and this sounds like fun.

I'm glad you're starting with this particular book. Though a fan of Michael Crichton's work, I haven't picked this one up yet because of the whole "published after death" controversy. I thought I read somewhere that he'd written the book years ago but had never published it for whatever reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And if it's got pirates, ships and caribbean islands, I'm in! I just put a hold on the book at my local library, so I'm looking forward to reading along with you all.

Thanks so much Nikki!

Survivor of Experiment 6/26: 6 parks in 1 day 6/26/12!
thunderbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #71
bcvdreamer
DIS Veteran

I'd like to join too. I just picked up the book at the library. I've never done a book club before, and I've never read any of Michael Crichton's books.

I'm excited!

Thanks for hosting, Nikki!

[IMg]http://www.*******************/bawb.jpg[/IMG]
bcvdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #72
Hankshouse
Mouseketeer

I'm a newbie to the boards but a faithful listener! Just ordered my copy from the library and can't wait to start. Thanks Nikki, this is gonna be fun!
Hankshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #73
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Beginning Thoughts...

Welcome to those of you coming on board!!

I'm enjoying everyone's thoughts on the controversey surrounding the publication of Pirate Latitudes. It's definitely a hot topic. If you haven't chimed in yet, see the original post below for some background links on the web and a question up for discussion.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=33

I began reading last night. Although I haven't gotten far in just yet (it's parent-teacher conference week - ugh lol), I found myself very interested by a few things in the first chapter. On page 5, Crichton describes several articles Governor Almont uses to get clean:

"Richards set out the articles of toilet: a fresh basin of rosewater, another of crushed myrtle berries, and a third small bowl of tooth powder with the toothcloth alongside."

I remember first using rosewater as a skin regimen after visiting the Grand Floridian Spa where they used it during a facial. It is such a beautiful treatment and really awakens the senses. I had no idea it was used in the 1600s for cleansing purposes.

Crichton later reveals that the "tooth powder" is a concoction made of "powdered rabbit's head, pomegranate peel, and peach blossom," (6). Could you imagine cleaning your teeth with something like that? I know that pomegranate juice is all the rage right now, but the peel mixed with a rabbit's head? We also learn that Almont used a "paste of olive oil, ashes, and ground earthworms to prevent his hair from turning white" (5). I think the earthworms would push me over the edge.

I also found his make up interesting. On page 7, it says he used white lead and vinegar to color his face along with a red dye of seaweed. Again, I found these products interesting. When I was in college, I studied medieval literature and learned much about the hygiene products used back then. I don't recall hearing about animal parts or vinegar being a part of the equation.

What are your thoughts on these hygiene products? If you lived in the 1600s, would you feel comfortable using them? What was the most interesting part of Chapter 1 for you?

I'm off to read Chapter 2. Happy reading!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #74
Grumpy's Old Lady
Bless the seven little men who have been so kind to me, and may my dreams come true. Oh yes! and please make Grumpy like me.

I wouldn't be able to stand the smell from all those animal parts/earthworms, etc. I would have rather been a heathen/native of the island and tan from the tropical sun (even though we know that the sun is bad). But being a native, I wouldn't know any better.

On chapter 6 right now. So far, it is interesting.

Rebecca
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #75
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

What are your thoughts on these hygiene products? If you lived in the 1600s, would you feel comfortable using them? What was the most interesting part of Chapter 1 for you?

I am listening to the book while driving, so I did not catch all details and ingredients of the "toilet". Thanks for writing them up for me, Nikki. What I remember was the "tooth cloth". No toothbrushes. And today, toothbrushes are SO complicated!

My guess is that the "ashes, and ground earthworms to prevent his hair from turning white" color his hair dark, rather than keep it from turing white.

A lot of the "makeup" was to cover up scars from the pox and plague, right? I imagine only the upper folk took such pains with their appearance. The rest were just "ugly" as he later describes the women who came over on the ship.

Whenever I read historical fiction, I always imagine that I would be one of the upper or ruling class. (Never mind that there were many more poor people and odds are that's where I would have ended up!) So, I guess that yes, I would be using those potions. And I would surely die from lead pisoning!

Last edited by mainegal; 03-05-2010 at 08:02 AM.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: