Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

While this book holds no interest for me, I love this overall idea of having a book-of-the-month and hope I can joing in in the future!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #32
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hi All,

I just picked up the book at Barnes & Noble. It is currently 50% off thanks to their big sale going on.

UPDATE TO ADD:

Welcome to all of those who are going to participate! I'm so excited!

After looking at the book itself, I think the most logical way to tackle it is in its already pre-defined parts. Originally I was going to post each section with a flexible "deadline" to finish reading it, but I'd like to instead work with the first part and adjust timing from there. Everyone is a different type of reader so I don't want to go too quickly or too slowly.

For now, would it be alright for everyone to get the book and have Part I read by March 13th? This gives just a bit extra time for those who are having trouble getting the text right now.

Feel free to begin discussing Part I from here on. You do not have to be finished with it in order to post your thoughts and ideas. The best discussions come as you go along.

Happy reading!!! Arrghh!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 03-02-2010 at 08:02 PM.
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #33
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

The Pirate Latitudes - Background & Author Information

Below are a few links to wet the whistles of those waiting to pick up the novel at your local library or bookstore.

Pirate Latitudes Book Trailer (UK Version) - Think Movie Trailer, But for Books
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/index.html

Pirate Latitudes Blurb & US Trailer
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books...itudes-us.html

Press Release Regarding Pirate Latitudes
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/mc-newbook.html

LA Times Book Review
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov...en26-2009nov26

Pirate Latitudes News Including Possible Film Version
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books...udes-news.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm finding the author, Michael Crichton, quite fascinating so far. I have never read any of his books and just realized that he wrote the original Jurassic Park. He also is known for the series ER and the film Disclosure.

According to one article in the LA Times, Pirate Latitudes is one of his "lost" works. It was discovered shortly after his death in 2008 by an assistant and later published. Some critics question whether or not this was ethically appropriate. What do you think? If an author passes away and does not leave any formal request regarding a book's publication, is it okay for a colleague or relative to have it published?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #34
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
[/B]According to one article in the LA Times, Pirate Latitudes is one of his "lost" works. It was discovered shortly after his death in 2008 by an assistant and later published. Some critics question whether or not this was ethically appropriate. What do you think? If an author passes away and does not leave any formal request regarding a book's publication, is it okay for a colleague or relative to have it published?
good question! I believe that if it were my work I would be ok with my close relative (but probably not a colleague) publishing it. My mom wrote poetry and after she passed I found poems on her computer that she never shared or published. For me it was a precious insight into my mom that I never had before.
I would like to believe that publishing these types of work would come from a love of the author and their work and not just financial reasons, but know that is not always the case.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #35
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kevin, I'd be happy to help out, but on just one condition. I would love for you to participate when you can. You seemed so excited about this yesterday afternoon. I don't know if you're just busy with the ABD trip or other things that may have come down the pike, but I hope my suggestion didn't male this appear overwhelming. Or was it just my bubbly personality and good looks that scared you away? :rofl:

In all seriousness, this is a club for everyone and there's no pressure. If you can read a section by the set date, great. If not, that's fine too. Everyone should go at their own pace - no matter how fast or slow that may be. We will all congregate here to discuss whenever ready.

Today is such a good day to kick this off too. It's Read Across America Day which celebrates reading each year on Dr. Seuss' birthday. What better way to celebrate than with our DIS friends?

I'll pick up the book tonight after my Writing Club. I'll try to divide up then. In the meantime, can you all look into getting your copy at some point this week or weekend? For those that want to go ahead, feel free to dive right in. Just leave some pirate action for the rest of us. Lol

Thanks so much for this great idea Nikki and for getting us going Kevin. I did start reading last night, it's good, but my lips are sealed until we start discussing.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

I just picked up the book at Barnes & Noble. It is currently 50% off thanks to their big sale going on.

UPDATE TO ADD:

Welcome to all of those who are going to participate! I'm so excited!

After looking at the book itself, I think the most logical way to tackle it is in its already pre-defined parts. Originally I was going to post each section with a flexible "deadline" to finish reading it, but I'd like to instead work with the first part and adjust timing from there. Everyone is a different type of reader so I don't want to go too quickly or too slowly.

For now, would it be alright for everyone to get the book and have Part I read by March 13th? This gives just a bit extra time for those who are having trouble getting the text right now.

Feel free to begin discussing Part I from here on. You do not have to be finished with it in order to post your thoughts and ideas. The best discussions come as you go along.

Happy reading!!! Arrghh!
sounds good, thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #37
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Im ready to roam Jamaica and the Caribbean with my fellow readers. I have read many Michael Chrichton books and was saddened by his passing but that whole "discovered" novel thing has become such a scam imo. Its like when the son takes over the franchise - ie Herbert (Dune) and Tolkien ..

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #38
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

I am not sure how I feel about publishing "lost" materials, after one's passing. It's a great gift to those that love his work, but a small part of me always wonders about a scam, or one taking advantage of the find.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #39
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I saw this thread during my lunch hour at work, and I was able to pick this book up at my local library after work. I haven't started it yet.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #40
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatheeME View Post
I am not sure how I feel about publishing "lost" materials, after one's passing. It's a great gift to those that love his work, but a small part of me always wonders about a scam, or one taking advantage of the find.
Yes, a part of me is wondering how do we know he really wrote it? Especially since it is so different from his others.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #41
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I think it would depend on the quality of the work. If it was something I was happy with and would have submitted it for publishing then great. If it was something I felt was one step away from the trash can then I'd be upset someone published less then quality work. In this case I think the writing would have to speak for itself and hopefully the editors publish for quality not necessarily sensationalism, which I'm sure is sometimes the case.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #42
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

I'm a few chapters into it and I'm enjoying it. But be wary - this is not our beloved Pirates of the Caribbean. This is what went on in the back alleys!
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #43
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
I'm a few chapters into it and I'm enjoying it. But be wary - this is not our beloved Pirates of the Caribbean. This is what went on in the back alleys!
Actually a more realistic view of what pirates were and not what we've romanticized ..they were criminals and thugs and not good guys, hardly someone to emulate.

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #44
miksilver
DIS Veteran

I too am not always a fan of those books that are "lost" after an author passes. Since you don't know what state the manuscript was found in, it's tough to judge how much others had their hand in the story.

I think that this would be a good question to ask again after we all finish the book.
miksilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #45
alebisi
DIS Veteran

Thanks Nikki of taking care of the Dis book club! This is my first Book Club! I'll be reading the book in italian, but the content it's the same. I haven't read anything about this author yet, so even if I finish the book, I think I couldn't judge wether is still Michael Crichton's stile. But I'd love to hear the opinion of others that have read his books and are reading this one, I'll start reading today

alebisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: