Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Yay! I'm glad we are going with this book.

I've done a lot of book clubs in the past both on and offline. I've found the discussion to be much richer when you divide the book into sections, read them at your own pace, and then discuss. When I brought the idea up in the other thread, that's how I envisioned it. I'm game for however though.

I think asking people to read the entire book ny the 15th is way too early. Could we agree for everyone to get the book this week and then decide on what section to have read by the 15th? We can then discuss that section of the book here and people can go ahead if they are ready and have the time to do so. Then the next section could be read, etc. This is really the best way to promote fluid discussion with a reasonable timeline and while not holding those who want to continue reading back.

I dont have the book yet and would divide it up as an example. I can get it this week and do so if this is how everyone wants to move ahead. Basically we'd read let's say Ch. 1-3, discuss/read, have a deadline for the next few chapters, discuss/read, etc. Oprahs book club does it this way too. I'm also holding a professional book club for my district in May and this is how we will do it. The Harry Potter fan sites have used this method too and we found it very rewarding.

Thoughts? Does this make sense?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

I miss my old book club, this is a great idea and I look forward to participating. I am downloading mine tonight.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post
I'm game as long as Nikki is not handing out tests.

I'm going to download the book (file) from my library tonight.
Yup, essay test for you Jorge!!! Lol

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
stitchlover
DIS Veteran

I'll download this evening and get started on it tomorrow. I think Nikki's idea for dividing the book into sections sounds good. I won't be around for some of the discussion, will be at WDW from 3/11-3/20, but will pop in when I can with E-Ticket.
ASMo 2006, POFQ 2007, WL 2008, Disneyland Paradise Pier 2008, Polynesian 2009, AKL 2010, Grand Floridian 2011, DIS ABD Backstage Magic 2/11, Wilderness Lodge 2011, Beach Club 2012, DCL 2012, AKL Kidani Village 2013, ASSports 2013, Disneyland 2013, Boardwalk & Saratoga Springs 2013

[/url]
stitchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

That makes a lot of sense Nikki!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #21
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

As this was Nikki's idea originally.....I'm going to ask that she be in charge of setting this up and keeping everyone on track.

I apologize in advance.....I want and plan to participate, but I can not guarantee that I will be able to devote enough time to it to keep it running as well as we all hope.

I think this is a truly awesome idea and I'm happy to be part of it.

I'm going to wait and see what Nikki's response to this post might be.

If she says yes....we're good to get started. If she's not interested.....we'll see if someone else might be.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #22
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Kevin, I'd be happy to help out, but on just one condition. I would love for you to participate when you can. You seemed so excited about this yesterday afternoon. I don't know if you're just busy with the ABD trip or other things that may have come down the pike, but I hope my suggestion didn't male this appear overwhelming. Or was it just my bubbly personality and good looks that scared you away? :rofl:

In all seriousness, this is a club for everyone and there's no pressure. If you can read a section by the set date, great. If not, that's fine too. Everyone should go at their own pace - no matter how fast or slow that may be. We will all congregate here to discuss whenever ready.

Today is such a good day to kick this off too. It's Read Across America Day which celebrates reading each year on Dr. Seuss' birthday. What better way to celebrate than with our DIS friends?

I'll pick up the book tonight after my Writing Club. I'll try to divide up then. In the meantime, can you all look into getting your copy at some point this week or weekend? For those that want to go ahead, feel free to dive right in. Just leave some pirate action for the rest of us. Lol

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #23
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Arg! All copies are checked out at my library! I'm gonna put myself on the waiting list though.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I downloaded a sample to my Kindle last night. It seemed interesting starting out, so I'll get the whole thing later.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

I downloaded it last night onto my Nook from the local library. I needed a head start because you won't be calling me Jorge anymore. It will be Snaily.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Kevin, I'd be happy to help out, but on just one condition. I would love for you to participate when you can. You seemed so excited about this yesterday afternoon. I don't know if you're just busy with the ABD trip or other things that may have come down the pike, but I hope my suggestion didn't male this appear overwhelming. Or was it just my bubbly personality and good looks that scared you away? :rofl:
I am thrilled to participate and have every intention to do just that. This book is already loaded into my Kindle.

With the ABD trip coming up and all of the other stuff going on, I just know that it's going to work out better for everyone if someone else is the leader of this group.

I'm looking forward to being able to talk about the book I'm reading with others who are involved in the same book. John is tired of me reading to him just so that we can talk about it.

By the way.....it's podcast recording day!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

What a happy coincidence! I finished Shadow Divers last week and started reading Pirate Latitudes before I saw this thread.

However, I put the book aside a couple of days ago to read the novelization of Disney's Alice in Wonderland film coming out this weekend. I'll have to pick up Pirates again.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Woohoo!! We are going to be the best group of pirates, I mean, uhh...readers!!

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #29
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Loving it so far! Started "reading" on my mp3 this morning while out pruning in the orchard . Within the first few minutes I had an "EEWWWWW! Yuck!" moment and by chapter 5 I've already got my favorite characters!

Not a book I would have picked up on my own but I'm really enjoying it!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
Northern_Julie
Mouseketeer

I am ussually quiet around here but would like to join in. The other reader at work is on maternity leave and really miss being able to talk about my reading adventures.
Northern_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: