Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #511
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Well, let me start off this update by correcting something in my last update. I left off by saying "Up Next: Just how many times can you ride Toy Story Mania in one day??" Well, the answer is one because I got my days mixed up and it was the day after (our last day) that we had our midway fun. Whoops! So that minor detail out of the way, we’re off to Day 9 of our stay, our "resort day". In retrospect, we should have done this earlier in the trip instead of the day before our last day, but I’d be hard pressed to pick a day to switch out because of the fun we’ve been having. Anyway, we started off the morning sleeping in to whatever time we wanted and we’d made sure to put the Do Not Disturb signs on the doors the night before so we didn’t sleep through housekeeping’s knocks and have any unexpected visitors!

This was a lazy day staying at the resort, meant to swim, relax, do laundry and just whatever we felt like doing. In our trip before this one at POR, we’d had a fabulous resort day spent at Ol’ Man Island, and decided at the last minute to head over to Epcot and watch Illuminations. We’d gotten to Epcot and after riding Soarin ended up with a walk in dinner at Coral Reef Restaurant. Even though we missed Illuminations that night, we had a great dinner at a new place and the day was perfect.

In the planning stages of this trip I’d scheduled this resort day and left it open for us to do something spontaneous like that again. I found out shortly before leaving however that the day we were going to DHS did not have Fantasmic scheduled and we really wanted to see the show again. Our resort day did have it scheduled, so we traded the spontaneity for a second half day at DHS. That worked out for George too. George has a blast on our trips once he gets to Orlando…. but he doesn’t really care about the planning stages of it all. All of you know the importance of talking about and planning WDW trips seven months in advance, but George just rolls his eyes and says a lot of "yeah, yeah’s" when I discuss things that far ahead. So in the closing stages of planning this trip, I had Ariana’s picture itinerary mostly laid out when I brought up a detail of our schedule. George was about to say another line along the lines of, “Whatever, just tell me where we’re going on the day of and I’ll be fine….” when he stops and says, “Hold on. We’re spending two days at Epcot and only one day at that other one (aka Hollywood Studios) with all the stuff to do??” So when the Fantasmic evening was added, he was pleased we were getting to “that other one” for a second time.

So I took care of the laundry with swimming breaks while George and the kiddies swam in the bowling pin pool. Demetri was having a blast jumping off the sides of the pool to George’s outstretched hand.

This was a new feat for him. He’s been in our backyard pool since he was an infant but was always reluctant to get water on his face. Florida is of course, different somehow and he was just having a jolly old time hopping right into that water without a second thought.

It's a little small to see but his tongue IS sticking out!

Then it was time to grab a bite to eat and do a more thorough exploration of the Pop gift shop. I’d considered trying for an ADR at DHS but I really didn’t know what we’d want so in the end we just grabbed a quick bite to eat from the Pop food court. We’d poked around in the gift shop most of the week but we’re not big on buying lots of things so we hadn’t really delved into too much of the merchandise. So we spent a bit of fun time being silly….

….. and playing

….. and browsing

……and we picked out a few things for souvenirs. Ariana chose a selection of small princess dolls, perfect for her, she always loves to have something small in her hands, like worry beads in the form of Snow White! Demetri chose a die cast monorail and bus set… I can’t remember what Alex chose but I did learn something new about him while we were waiting to buy our new treasures. While we were waiting in line, he grabs a few balls from a nearby bin and starts juggling. Juggling! He was quite good at it and caught the attention of a few CMs who stopped to watch him. Figures I’d passed off the camera to George who was heading back to the rooms to get ready for DHS, but he was great entertainment while we finished up.

So around 6pm we gathered ourselves together and headed for the DHS bus.

We stopped for a quick hello to Bo.

And got the obligatory shot of Mickey’s hat.

I was really hoping to see this….

But in the end, we didn’t make it back.

We went on a slow walk about just taking our time….

And watched the Stars Wars thingie (forget what it’s called) spit on the kids below.

We took a detour in San Francisco….

And hung a quick right to New York City….

… before winding our way back to Pixar Place.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #512
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

We really wanted to go meet these two favorites, but the line was obscenely long.

So we opted to just hop on the ride instead.

The fast pass line was a little slower today so instead of a walk on, we actually got a few pics of the waiting area. I still haven’t seen Mr. Potato Head yet.

This ride has some of the best theming out there.

I rode solo and captured my score at the end, earning a bunny for my efforts.

Hmmmm, that score seems a little low. Need to work on that!

Off we went for more fun.

Saving One Man’s Dream for our second DHS day….

…we headed towards Voyage of the Little Mermaid. The show was letting in right then so Alex begged off of this one and did a little wandering of the Animation building while we watched.

No flash photography in here (although a few people disregarded the request and took some anyway!) so we just sat and enjoyed the show. My favorite parts are when the bubbles come down.

Then it was time to catch up with Alex at the Animation building. Regretfully, we didn’t go in here and we missed all of the character greets! This is a must do for us next trip!

One of my favorite displays….

…. and then we slowly made our way down the street towards Fantasmic.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #513
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Here’s where I got a little bit sneaky. Demetri really wanted to try Tower of Terror and Ariana is always game for it. George had never been on it and while I don’t mind ToT, the drop does make my stomach go all floopy and I could give or take it. So I told George I was opting out this time. Alex said he’d keep me company so grumbling a little bit, George took the two kids for his and Demetri’s first time.

While they were gone, Alex wanted a funny picture of himself in front of ToT so he thought of a “Where’s Alex?” theme and tried to hide behind a pole.

Sadly, the theme never took off.

The gang came back and Demetri was bouncing up and down excited over how fun the ride was and George declared it, “pretty good”. Cause you know, he’s cool like that.

About then it was time to file into Fantasmic and we had great seats, up high and slightly off to the right. I like the up high seats, I feel like I have a better view of everything all at once.

A few quick shots before the show….

…. and then guess who showed up?

The show was officially underway and my little family was thoroughly enjoying themselves.

My favorite parts of Fantasmic are the boats in the middle and the end with all of the characters dancing and waving. Enjoy!

After the show, we again enjoyed a leisurely stroll back up the street and I snapped a few pictures along the way before we stopped for a late night treat.

More shots on our way towards the exits….

….. Alex decides to be funny and jump in front of the camera. “Did you get me? Did you get me?” Yeah, I gotcha.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #514
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Heading out for the night towards the buses, Demetri was finishing off his Mickey Head ice cream...

.... while Ariana and I ran into a CM that was handing out random pins. Ariana was handed the perfect pin which she immediately wanted to wear and take a picture of.

It was 9:30pm and the end of yet another wonderful day. I was starting to get that antsy feeling in my stomach however. We only had one day left.

Our favorites and not-so-favorite moments of the day:

ALEX:
It was a resting day.
Nothing!

ARIANA:
Toy Story Mania!!
Ucky toe. (I forgot to mention she hurt her toe while swimming. Nothing major, but it was a nuisance for her. )

DEMETRI:
Fantasmic AND Tower of Terror AND Toy Story Mania!!
Nothing!

Next up: An out-of-this-world dinner and just how many times can you ride Toy Story Mania in one day?? (for real this time!)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #515
Hallowishes
DIS Veteran

another GREAT update!
i never spend much time at DHS on any of my trips. and i always regret it.
i love fantasmic! its terrific! your pictures of it are amazing!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #516
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Great updates!

They came fast and furious!

DHS great pix! I have some of the same shots....great minds.....

You got a lot done.....
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #517
Carstan
Earning My Ears

great update!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #518
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Awesome update, thank you! It's sad this is winding to a close.. maybe we'll finish ours at the same time.

Your Fantasmic shots turned out so much better than mine - how do you do it?!

And you look like you had such a fun time - skipping out on your resort day looks like it was worth it!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #519
WDW_lover_in_SC
DIS Veteran

This is one of the first TR's in which I've read every update and I have to say that you all are a wonderful family and I can tell you're all very close I throughly enjoyed this and cant wait to read the last day. Only part I disliked was the rain...it's so inconvienient.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #520
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Cute pictures in the gift shop at Pop! The whole time I was reading I was thinking..."hey, I remember that and that! Can't wait to go back!

YAY! for a Fantasmic night!!! Thanks for sharing the video! Another show we have yet to see!! It looks like so much fun! Loved it!

Wow!! Great pictures of Toy Story Mania!! When we rode Fastpass, the line moved very quickly so I didn't have time to take any pictures of all the cool things to see! No Mr. Potato Head for us either. Hopefully, next time!

So happy that Demetri liked TOT!! He's much braver than I am!!!

It sounds like you had a great night!! (and day too!)

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #521
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Great update, looks like you guys had a really great time

I love Alex and Demetri's t shirts, v cool
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #522
Kathy Jetson
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a great day! No rushing around. I could stay in the gift shops for hours. My ds6 also got the die cast monorail and the bus set. We got the ones fron the rides too. That amazing you found out Alex could juggle while at the gift shop. I wonder what other secret talents he has.
I had no idea the star wars thingie spits! I'll try to look next time.
We saw Mr. Potatoe Head he was talking to the people in front of us but then the line started moving and we had to rush on by.
Can't wait to see what happens next!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #523
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowishes View Post
another GREAT update!
i never spend much time at DHS on any of my trips. and i always regret it.
i love fantasmic! its terrific! your pictures of it are amazing!
There is sooo much to do at DHS, some I've yet to see or do. It's our second fav park after MK! Thanks on the Fantasmic pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Great updates!

They came fast and furious!

DHS great pix! I have some of the same shots....great minds.....

You got a lot done.....
Thanks! Hope to see your great shots soon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carstan View Post
great update!
Hello and to my TR! Have you been lurking or are you new? Either way, thanks for joining in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
Awesome update, thank you! It's sad this is winding to a close.. maybe we'll finish ours at the same time.
It is sad. I don't want it to end. I need to start a PTR for December but it just feels too soon. Do I have eight plus months of stuff to say? I don't know!

Quote:
Your Fantasmic shots turned out so much better than mine - how do you do it?!
Ah, you should see all the shots I deleted! No really, I LOVE my camera and I just practised a ton with it before I left.... I got lucky on the well lit up ones like the spotlight on Mickey at the beginning and Maleficent's fire.

Quote:
And you look like you had such a fun time - skipping out on your resort day looks like it was worth it!
We did have fun and I'm glad the switcheroo worked out. Ten days gave us lots of opportunity to relax and go slow so it wasn't bad at all.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #524
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW_lover_in_SC View Post
This is one of the first TR's in which I've read every update and I have to say that you all are a wonderful family and I can tell you're all very close I throughly enjoyed this and cant wait to read the last day. Only part I disliked was the rain...it's so inconvienient.
Well hi! and thanks for delurking! I'd love to hi to everyone -- so lurkers everywhere: come on out and say hello!!!

Thank you for your sweet comments, I too think I have a wonderful family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Cute pictures in the gift shop at Pop! The whole time I was reading I was thinking..."hey, I remember that and that! Can't wait to go back!
Luckily my kids are quite content window shopping and we always have fun just looking and playing with everything.... and then mostly it goes back on the shelf.

Quote:
YAY! for a Fantasmic night!!! Thanks for sharing the video! Another show we have yet to see!! It looks like so much fun! Loved it!
We've seen two different versions of Fantasmic. One normally and the other when it rains. I definately recommend the non-raining one!

Quote:
Wow!! Great pictures of Toy Story Mania!! When we rode Fastpass, the line moved very quickly so I didn't have time to take any pictures of all the cool things to see! No Mr. Potato Head for us either. Hopefully, next time!
If I had to choose, I'd go thru the fastpass line everytime. I may not ever meet him!

Quote:
So happy that Demetri liked TOT!! He's much braver than I am!!!

It sounds like you had a great night!! (and day too!)
Oh my little guy is game for almost anything.... the first time at least. Stay tuned to see if his bravery kept up. We had a great day but I was starting to feel sad it was ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Great update, looks like you guys had a really great time

I love Alex and Demetri's t shirts, v cool
Aren't those shirts great? Alex picked out his on our first trip in 2006 and was very happy to find it in Demetri's size on the first day of this trip. How much longer do you think it'll be cool to Alex for his little brother to wear matching clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
Sounds like you had a great day! No rushing around. I could stay in the gift shops for hours. My ds6 also got the die cast monorail and the bus set. We got the ones fron the rides too. That amazing you found out Alex could juggle while at the gift shop. I wonder what other secret talents he has.
I had no idea the star wars thingie spits! I'll try to look next time.
We saw Mr. Potatoe Head he was talking to the people in front of us but then the line started moving and we had to rush on by.
Can't wait to see what happens next!
Has your monorail fared better than ours? Demetri is a tad rough with his toys and wanted to see what would happen if he pulled the segments apart. He still plays with it, but its now in four pieces. Sigh.

No kidding about the juggling! It still makes me laugh. We had no idea the Star Wars thingie spit either... until it spit on us on our first trip! We were just waiting there when all of a sudden ... blam! Very refreshing though.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #525
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Happy Saturday everyone! We're off to see Alice in Wonderland today. A little nervous it may be too scary for Demetri, but he's a brave little guy and wants to see it.

Anyone else going to see it, or has seen it? I'll report back later!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: