DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #31
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
[Buzzer sound] WRONG ANSWER. DVC is not something to surprise your spouse with unless you are financially secure and able to pay for it completely including all the annual member fees. As a newly wed, recent college grad, newly hired employee, you do not want to tie yourself down to DVC costs until you figure out how to pay for your home, your family, health insurance, medical expenses, etc.
Understand what you're saying. What I meant is to tell his new wife that he has enough $ for DVC "IF" that is something that they are interested in.
I was under the impression that the soon-to-be wife is the disney person first and then turned him over to the dark side...

I agree with what you're saying completely. The basics come before DVC.

But if he's willing to spend $3k on just 1 trip wouldn't it be better to spend it on a DP for small point contracts instead of one trip?
Then again that's JMO.

ps: I'm always under the assumption that people know the basics of money management. As my DH always pointed out, that's rarely the case... so yes, it was not a good advice for newly weds with no steady income/bank account... sorry about that.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I agree with waiting on your honeymoon, unless you already have a job lined up and have the time planned off between graduation, the wedding, and the job starting up.

We got married in May, Memorial Day weekend, on the Saturday. We stayed in a hotel for the two nights, although had a brunch Sunday morning with family at my folks' house, where we opened gifts. Monday we packed the UHaul and drove to our "new" home (my DH's house, 250 miles away from my home), and Tuesday he started his law review course.

We took our honeymoon in September, after he'd taken the bar exams.

I wish we could have gotten away, but we didn't have the time. We also were on a budget, but really that didn't matter too much. I still don't like to spend a lot when we travel!

One of the most fun trips we had was the year before we got married. We went to Orlando, stayed in Kissimmee at a Residence Inn for $59 a night, cooked in a lot, did Disney parks, and had a blast!!! We were so happy to be together (we lived 250 miles apart for the two years before we got married).

I'd either stay off site or wait. It's hard to give any other advice without knowing the time of the year you're looking at (different times have different options, like slow times sometimes have free dining, which combined with staying at a value resort, can be very reasonable).

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #33
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

another though...

Port Orleans is very romantic!

Its not a 1 bedroom villa, but it is very nice, and may fit in your budget for a short trip.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
Shleedogg
DIS Veteran

Where do you live? Can you drive to cut costs? Maybe make a road trip out of it?

Like pps, I don't think any member would allow payments after the date of travel, too risky.

Something to look for on the rent/trade board is last minute price drops. If you can wait until a month or two before the intended date of travel, prices generally drop from the $10 mark down to $7, I've even seen them around $5. You'd probably have to stay at SSR, OKW or AKV though.

I'm not sure when you wedding/honeymoon is, but if it's after you graduate and start earning money, perhaps just holding off as long as possible will get you a cheaper price. Maybe tell your fiance it's a surprise and you'll plan everything. That way, if Disney doesn't work out, you can quickly plan a nice 4 day weekend somewhere close and she won't be disappointed.

Just a word of advise from a somewhat recently married person. If you really can't afford it, don't do it. I know it seems logical to just say "we'll have the money coming in, so we can pay it off later." My DH and I took our honeymoon about a month after our wedding and went to Scotland. It was an amazing trip, but we were in debt from the wedding and honeymoon for 3 years. My parents paid for our airfare and hotel, but there are so many costs in travel that you just don't foresee/take into account. You want to have a wonderful honeymoon, but you don't want to be so stressed about money that you don't enjoy it; or regret putting yourself into debt after the fact.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, and I hope it all works out for you!!

Shleedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #35
myDISboards
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundredball View Post

Somewhere I have a price point of 3K for our honeymoon budget.

Does anybody have any other ideas for saving money, perhaps with dining and such?
First, congrats to wedding/honeymoon/career!!

Like other PPs, don't get into debt -OR- wait/save for the honeymoon.

I just queried All-Star Sports resort for 2 adults around $1,515 from June 1 to June 7 with standard room including 7-day-park-tickets-with-park-hopper-and-water-parks-option.

I don't know where you're from so if you can drive to save on airfares....We drive own Odyssey mini-van at least once each year to central florida (about 1,000-miles-each-way with $100 gas).

To save on dining, just some ideas make/pack your own meals such as sandwiches, bring portable thermo for hot water for instant noodles, ask for free ice in the parks for own drinks, etc.
myDISboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #36
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myDISboards View Post
First, congrats to wedding/honeymoon/career!!

Like other PPs, don't get into debt -OR- wait/save for the honeymoon.

I just queried All-Star Sports resort for 2 adults around $1,515 from June 1 to June 7 with standard room including 7-day-park-tickets-with-park-hopper-and-water-parks-option.

I don't know where you're from so if you can drive to save on airfares....We drive own Odyssey mini-van at least once each year to central florida (about 1,000-miles-each-way with $100 gas).

To save on dining, just some ideas make/pack your own meals such as sandwiches, bring portable thermo for hot water for instant noodles, ask for free ice in the parks for own drinks, etc.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, dvc, honeymoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: