Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #31
Daytona99
Mouseketeer

That's ok, I get that all the time. They're just jealous! ;-)

1968 - Disneyland WDW 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2003 - trips offsite; 6/2004 CR; 8/2005 BCV; 8/2006 BWV; 8/2007 BC and BWV; September 2007 - Disney Cruise on the Wonder; 8/2008 POP; POFQ 2/2009; AKV and BCV 6/2009;[/COLOR] July 2010 BW and WL ; July 2011 BCV and August 2011 VWL ; July 2013 POP and August 2013 WL.
Daytona99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #32
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

My mom is the most annoying, she makes comments like "Well, hopefully you'll brother will take his kids to *insert more important vacation spot here* someday. Yeah ok, I get it. This isn't the grand canyon or mt. rushmore but you know what? I don't want to go to those places right now!! I love the magical family time right now and I will never get another chance to have this time with my kiddos again. And in all honesty when I'm older, I'll keep going!! You have to do what makes you happy.

Nobody else really says anything except maybe comments about it being expensive, which I assure them it does not have to be.

In all honesty it bothers me for about .45 seconds before I realize I HAVE AN AMAZING time there and they just don't get it. Stinks to be them

Last edited by MamaJessie; 03-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.
MamaJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #33
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
My mom is the most annoying, she makes comments like "Well, hopefully you'll brother will take his kids to *insert more important vacation spot here* someday. Yeah ok, I get it. This isn't the grand canyon or mt. rushmore but you know what? I don't want to go to those places right now!! I love the magical family time right now and I will never get another chance to have this time with my kiddos again. And in all honesty when I'm older, I'll keep going!! You have to do what makes you happy.

Nobody else really says anything except maybe comments about it being expensive, which I assure them it does not have to be.

In all honesty it bothers me for about .45 seconds before I realize I HAVE AN AMAZING time there and they just don't get it. Stinks to be them

thank you. I once had someone say. There's a lot of world out there (in other words why are you limiting yourself). We've been to other plasces and perhaps will get out west one day.

But here's the deal. As with all families, life is insane (wonderful and blessed and terrific, but insane). There are always places to go, people to please, home work to be done, Doctors appointments to go do, work deadlines, laundry, dirty dishes, dogs to take care of......

Disney is our one time a year where we escape from all of that and just be.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #34
crazybones27
DVC Member

I haaaaate when people would ask me this! Mostly it was my own mother. The people at work thankfully learned to accept that I was crazy over Disney and just learned that when they wanted to go they knew who to ask questions. I no longer work there and they are constantly calling/texting/emailing me questions about deals and what not lol.

As for my mother before we had children I don't think she understood why we wanted to go. My husband and I had only gone twice before we were married, but we loved it. Each time she asked I'd say because we like it, we can go on the cheap, and it's fun and we're not here!

My friends I'm sure think about why we go to Disney so often but they don't really say anything. Personally they might be a little jealous cause we're always going somewhere every year and now with our kids it will definitely be Disney every year till they are old enough to ask for a different place to go lol.

We recently bought into DVC because my husband and I love going to Disney and we want to be able to bring our children till they give us grandchildren and then bring them. When they decide they don't want to go the hubby and I are more then happy going on our own to enjoy time together. There's just so much to do at Disney that it's not all rides and games. You can have such a relaxing getaway that I just don't think people realize this. We haven't even told our parents we purchased into the DVC because we just don't want the questions of "why?"

So to all those "why are you going again" people I say "so what... where are you going... the lake down the street oh woo hoo" LOL

I love coming on the dis because everyone here understands me .
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
donnsuz
Mouseketeer

Even more comments without kids!

We live in Arizona so we get to Disneyland more of than Disneyworld, but we still go to one or the other about once a year. Since we're emptynesters now we really catch a lot of guff when just my DH and I go...which is most of the time anymore. People seemed to sorta understand it when we traveled with our kids (and we didn't go as often then) Many people really think we've reverted to some former childhood or something! However, for just an adult couple (we own a timeshare) it's a relatively inexpensive trip and besides, as my husband says, it's our money and we'll spend it how we want! This year we're actually going just DH and I to DLR in May and WDW with DD, Dsil, and grandsons in December...so, I'm sure we'll hear all about it
donnsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #36
linnell
DIS Veteran

My parents go on at least one cruise every year (this year they went on a 7 day cruise, stayed in Fl for a week and then went on a 10 day cruise) - so they have no right to give me a hard time.

I get it most from my best friend. She is very anti all things Disney and just doesn't get it. She hates "manufactured" fun. So whateves, I let her give me a hard time, I roll my eyes and then complain to my husband afterward. It has worked for us for many years.

linnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #37
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnsuz View Post
We live in Arizona so we get to Disneyland more of than Disneyworld, but we still go to one or the other about once a year. Since we're emptynesters now we really catch a lot of guff when just my DH and I go...which is most of the time anymore. People seemed to sorta understand it when we traveled with our kids (and we didn't go as often then) Many people really think we've reverted to some former childhood or something! However, for just an adult couple (we own a timeshare) it's a relatively inexpensive trip and besides, as my husband says, it's our money and we'll spend it how we want! This year we're actually going just DH and I to DLR in May and WDW with DD, Dsil, and grandsons in December...so, I'm sure we'll hear all about it
We get the same thing. We're a young couple without kids and people think we should just be hitting party spots around the world and it is sooooo not our scene. Some people even think it's weird [in a creepy way] that we go to Disney without kids that's really when it upsets me but I just let it go. It makes us happy to heck with anyone else lol
jog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnell View Post
My parents go on at least one cruise every year (this year they went on a 7 day cruise, stayed in Fl for a week and then went on a 10 day cruise) - so they have no right to give me a hard time.

I get it most from my best friend. She is very anti all things Disney and just doesn't get it. She hates "manufactured" fun. So whateves, I let her give me a hard time, I roll my eyes and then complain to my husband afterward. It has worked for us for many years.
LOL @ "manufactured" fun. Isn't that kind of the point of escapism? I find that the silliest argument againist Disney. Of course it's fake -- that's the whole point! You go on vacation to get away. Besides, who cares if the execution is manufactured if the resulting emotions are real?

As to the OP, I just say it makes me happy and leave it at that. FTMP, I find that people who go to Disney once (a real trip -- not a weekend commando visit) tend to understand the allure as most are planning their second trips.
Juliet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #39
Corjack
Free Dining 2010

I got with " Don't hate me cuz u ain't me"...

I think that my family at least feels it is insanely expensive. However if you add up all you spend for a week at the beach and all you do extra to keep yourself occupied it is probably way more compareable than they think!

Our kids are little(6 and under), it is just a place we all find FUN and EXCITING. I do want to go to lots of other places but not until my kids will enjoy them too!! (And we will probably also go to Disney then too!!)

Jackie
Third trip 2000
First time at WDW resort POP Century April 2008
POP April 2009
POP Aug 2010
ASMu May 2011
POP Oct/Nov 2012
POP APRIL 2013
Next APRIL 2014[/color]

DH42 Me40 DD9 DS5 DD3
Corjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #40
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

We just booked our third trip for this April...we aren't telling the girls this time until the day we leave...SHHHH!!! So I went to work dying to talk about it....my friend says "Again?"..and smiles and shakes her head...I say "YES!!!" and giggle and nod my head.....she doesn't get it, but that's okay, 'cause you all do!!!

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #41
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnell View Post

Seriously, 'manufactured' fun, so all of us CRAZY people who think that is a REAL Castle, and a REAL mouse, and a REAL princess, and a REAL pirate, etc can go to our 'crazy' place and have fun without all the people who don't allow any fantasy or fun into their lives! So sad for them, the 'manufactured' fun is the fantasy and magic of Disney, it is why we all love it and go in the first place, to escape our 'real' lives, be kids again, and have fun! My kids are so happy because I allow them and myself to use our imaginations, believe in Santa, Mickey, enjoy life, it's to short!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #42
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

I get that too. I say, "Yes, I'm a Disneyaholic. I guess my kids could do worse than having a mother who wants to take them to Disney all the time!" Everyone laughs and agrees with me. We actually do vacation elsewhere as well. Just last year, we also visited Hershey/Gettysburg, Washington D.C. and Williamsburg. So I make sure they get a little bit of "historical" vacations mixed in with the fun.

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR; May: CBR; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
kldmom2000
DIS Veteran

I get it constantly.... friends that tell me there's other places in this world to see other than Disney, etc..... but no other place gives you that magical feeling It's so hard to explain to non-Disney die-hards I'm so sad that we're not going this year , well, unless we are getting more back than anticipated on our taxes There's no place I'd rather be with my family and they feel the same way
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #44
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

We've actually stopped telling people where we're going until we come back. We do that for all our vacations. We are blessed to be able to take vacations and I'm very greatful but I can't deal with the Debby-downers who want to make me feel guilty.

Our holiday card this year was us at Disney. Last month a friend came up (who'd gotten the card) and said "You went to Disney?" I just said, "yes, we had a good time" and left it at that. I could feel the negativity and daggers. I don't brag in front of people and I don't need people to make me feel guilty about my vacations.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #45
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

You could be a smarty-pants. "No... I just lied to you." Ah, that'll shut them up!!!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: