Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
 
Fantasmic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,528

How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people

: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY how my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How do you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.

UPDATE: Since I made this post, we have booked a late November/early December trip! We haven't told a soul ... yet.
__________________

Last edited by Fantasmic23; 04-17-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Fantasmic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.
 
jog58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 663

I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that
jog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
 
Fantasmic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog58 View Post
I have found that a simple "yes we are." and then I just look at them and smile really seems to do the trick. For some reason most of the time they have nothing to say after that. If they ask why we tell them we only have x amount of vacation dollars and we want to spend them at Disney. We will leave our horizons narrow and we are ok with that
Thanks!! I love that, especially the "leave our horizons narrow"!!
__________________
Fantasmic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
gabriellyn
Woohoo!
 
gabriellyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
: So, we got back from WDW last Sunday and by Monday, DH and I were already planning our February 2011 trip. And somebody pinch me ... DH told me tonight at dinner to do research about a WDW Resort (We've stayed at a condo in Kissimmee the last 2 years)!! But I digress.

This week, we've been telling various family members and friends about our recent WDW trip. Somewhere in the course of the conversation we will casually add, "We're going back next year." We're usually met with stunned silence and then the old "You're going back to Disney again? Why? You've already been."

The first few times, it was easy to explain: "Well, all of us love it there (DD and DS, too), we only really get one vacation a year and this is where we want to go ..." After the fourth or fifth time of explaining, I was starting to get irritated.

My biggest irritation is that the majority of the people who were giving us the third degree about going to Disney yet again, are the same people who choose to vacation in the same spot every year: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Jersey Shore, etc. A family member pushed me to the brink this morning and I finally asked, "Well, why do you go back to such and such every year?" She explained that such and such is beautiful, she's the happiest when she's there, she's relaxed ... Well, that's EXACTLY about my family feels about Disney! After that, the family member changed the subject. Well, if that's what it took ...

How you handle the "You're going to Disney again?" people? DH thinks we should just stop telling people that we're going.
LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? Good luck!
__________________
Always planning the next trip!
gabriellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
jog58
We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.
 
jog58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 663

Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania.
jog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
 
Fantasmic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriellyn View Post
LOL I know how you feel! We are planning our 4th WDW trip for August after just coming back from DLR for the first time. I get the same thing from some people.

I read a thread on here not that long ago about how someone said it was a tradition for their family. I think that worked for them. Who can argue w/tradition? Good luck!
Yes, the "It's a tradition" might definitely work, especially with DH's family! They're very big on tradition.
__________________
Fantasmic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
 
Fantasmic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog58 View Post
Not to mention is it really the bane of someone's life that you want to continue going to Disney. Some people act like they're personally offended. It's nuts. But we can all take solace in the fact that we are not alone in our Disneymania.
Yes! It's like they were having a great day ... And then you came along and mentioned that you were going back to Disney.

Definite Disneymania here! DH has caught the Disney Fever, too.
__________________
Fantasmic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

I'm with the Jersey Shore, Cape Cod person. I've said the same thing. It's our "insert the person's yearly vacation spot here". I think there's this belief that it's very extravegant. Quite frankly it can cost as little or as much as you want it to, just like going to "insert the person't yearly vacation spot here".

Although at this point we've been going so long (see my signature) we really don't get "the look" anymore.
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Disneyadore
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,932

I guess we are lucky. Living in a mostly cold and wet part of the world we are always told they envy us.

Every time I tell we go to WDW they get a certain glance in there eyes and say:" Wow, lucky you flying to warm Florida and visiting WDW".
Disneyadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
disney_family_1247
Mouseketeer
 
disney_family_1247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 361

I HATE that. We travel often. DH gets 3 weeks of vacation, and we spend 1 of them in WDW. Yet people far and wide act like it's the only place we go. We go to the beach each year for at least a weekend. Why aren't we teased about that? In 2008, we were out of town for the 1st of each month for 6 months!!!!! Did anyone notice? Nope. When we went to Disney once though, they still sneered!
disney_family_1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

...."We will go anywhere you want as long as you're paying."
__________________
badblackpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
fireman17
"The funny thing about firemen is, night and day there's always firemen".
 
fireman17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Groton,CT
Posts: 1,187

I have seen this question pop up time and time again. I always get this question here at my fire department or I get "you going back to Disney World again"?
My simple answer now to this question is,
Because I can and that usally shuts them up..
__________________
fireman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
happymommy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,443

Look at my signature. I don't even think all the trips are there...


They simply stopped asking about two years ago.... They think I'm certifiable. I'm glad!

Oh, and we also go to Hawaii every two years (it's a long flight, and yes we did go in 2008 and 2009, but I can't endure even in first class that every year!). They don't question that trip!

I think many folks think Disney is something you may do once. My in-laws went once, over MEMORIAL DAY weekend. Just the weekend. Stayed in a rental house, after we told them if it's just for a weekend and a busy one at that, they need to stay in a Disney resort. I think they only did MK. My DBil complained that all they did was stand in lines. Oh, and they spent one day at Cocoa Beach and of course my DSil had to outlet shop. Even though we live close to the Delaware outlets (which she goes to regularly). They had no plans, and really didn't seem to enjoy it (duh?). So they don't understand how much fun we have there! Oh well.
__________________
me dh dd15 ds17


Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
ms_missy66
Official WDW Addict
 
ms_missy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 874

Grrrr...those people make me nuts. I usually smile and say something like, "Yep! I'm sure we'll outgrow it one day, but not yet! We just love it there!" and that's it. I have a few friends who are Dis addicts also and they tend to over-explain to the naysayer. ("Well when we went our 5th time, we had a code that made it super inexpensive and so we couldn't resist, but then our son was only 13 months and seemed to have so much fun, so when the opportunity came to go six months later, went for it thinking it would be the last time in awhile but then this spring when our daughter asked if we could go I just couldn't say no...besides, this time we were going to Sear World. Blah blah blah)

I'm a fan of short and sweet.
__________________



7/82, 7/88, 5/99, 5/04, 12/05, 9/07, 12/08, 8/09, 12/09, 6/10, 12/11, 12/12, 4/13, 10/14 (DCL) and looking forward to 1/15!
ms_missy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
tlh0726
DIS Veteran
 
tlh0726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 2,428

I get more comments about all the stuff that I am making (shirts, pressed penny tubes, autograph book, passports, etc) than I get about where we are going.

I stopped including the ones that make the comments in my emails when I send out a completed project. I have had 2 thus far come back and say that a mutual friend loved the pressed penny tubes, that they missed that email. I replied, oh! I must have misunderstood your last response, I thought you no longer wanted to be on the listing, I will put you back on.

As for the going again comments, I just smile and say yeah aren't we just the luckiest people only (fill in the blank) days to go!
__________________
(me) Tina (DH) Jay (DD10) Kaelonnah (DS8) Cashton
tlh0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone else get annoyed at people calling you "Honey" or "Babe" rgf207 Community Board 121 08-24-2010 08:40 PM
Tips from people who travel during "peak" or really "busy" times Terry's Angels Disney World Tips 29 04-12-2007 10:00 PM
Book now for August trip...or wait for the chance of another "Disney Deal?" lynninpa Disney Restaurants 7 01-16-2006 09:59 AM
Has anyone been offered a "buy today" deal and get a discount for Disney? drakethib Purchasing DVC 10 10-15-2004 07:00 PM
Do We Want to do a "Coordinated" Care Package "Exchange" To Our Service People Annie&Hallie'sMom Community Board 16 03-08-2003 01:48 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: