Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #706
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
LOVE his books! I've even read the two he wrote for young adults and they were also quite good

I recommend "How to Be Like Walt", it's a lighter biography than the Neal Gabler one. I loved the Gabler book, but it's very detailed and might be more than folks want. "How to Be Like Walt" is more along the lines of Lee Cockrell's book "Creating Magic"-more of an advice/self-help kind of thing but using details from Walt's life as examples. Very enjoyable read.

So, now it's back to Edward Rutherford's "New York"
I received How to be Like Walt as a gift. I am currently reading another Janet Evanovich novel, but hope to read that one soon.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #707
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamms View Post
Just finished reading a great book called "The Last Stand of Fox Company" about a company of Marines in the Korean War at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

Currently reading "The Lost Battalion" about a group of American soldiers during WWI and their courageous stand against overwhelming odds. What can I say, I'm in a military history mood right now.
Ooooh, another military book fan. I'm following your posts...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #708
Madi100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyceratops View Post
I just finished Firefly Lane by Kristina Hannah. I know it has been discussed on here before so I don't want to go into detail.

But I enjoyed it, I stayed up all night and it made me cry for hours and hours!
I believe that Kristin Hannah is one of my new favorite authors. I loaned out Firefly Lane and can't find it. I'm going to have to rebuy it. But, I am definitely going to purchase some of her older books that I haven't read.

I tend to read by authors more than subject matter. I am definitely a fiction reader, though. I am reading through my Barnes and Noble bargain books right now. Some are interesting. Some not so much.
Madi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #709
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Just downloaded "The Ghost" by Robert Harris

It's the book the new movie "Ghost Writer" is based on. I've been seeing the trailers recently and it looks to be a very suspenseful movie. Hopefully the book is as good as they appear.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #710
weasty
Earning My Ears

I have been reading the sookie stackhouse series on my e book reader
weasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #711
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

I am so bummed. Work is paying for me to further my RN license and it has put a major crimp into my reading time.
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
CDolacki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #712
catycatcat4
i am great at speling. and grammer
i got a pet zombie his name is zombie

I'm reading the Memory keeper's daughter, Very good book so far.

I noticed i seem to not like the books they have in the YA area anymore (is that one or two words?)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #713
catycatcat4
i am great at speling. and grammer
i got a pet zombie his name is zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelliroo3 View Post
I just finished Thirteen Reasons Why. It was a quick read. Makes you think. It was a sad subject to read about (teen suicide). The idea of the book was interesting...just not sure if it's a book I'd reread. Next up-Dear John.
Thirteen reasons why was very popular at the high schools last year.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #714
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Sierra, it is one word.

I'm spending this snow day in bed reading books. I'm on the fifth Janet Evanovich novel and then am moving onto the true story behind the Sound of Music film. I'm excited about this!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #715
jfegan
Earning My Ears

series books

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett873 View Post
I am currently reading fluff kind of stuff...

I recently finished Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisburger. She also wrote The Devil Wears Prada. Chasing Harry Winston was alright...it was just hard for me to get into for some reason.

I am currently reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. This book is a sequel to another of her books called Good in bed. I didn't realize that she had written another book with the same characters! Those are my favorite kinds of books. When I find a good book that features stories and characters that I like, it makes me sad to see the story end. I want to know what happens next...so I find that I am drawn to books that are part of a series.

Some of my past favorites are the entire Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, and of course, the Twilight series and Harry Potter.

Next on my list are the Sookie Stackhouse books...
I know what you mean about series books and wanting more of the characters. That's one of the things I love about a book club is talking about the characters kind of keeping them vivid and real. Anyway Marian Keyes has a series about sisters. It was difficult to get into my first choice (took me 5 years to read- put it down and then picked it up when I couldn't find anything else)Rachels Holiday. I can't remember which one comes first, but there is Watermelon, angels, and I forget the other 2 I think. If you are reading a jacket of a book look for the Walsh sisters.
Happy reading.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #716
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

I am in the middle of "The Power of Half" by the Salwen family - it's about a family who sold their home and spent half of the profits towards helping villagers in Africa become self-sufficient. Very inspiring!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #717
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
I am in the middle of "The Power of Half" by the Salwen family - it's about a family who sold their home and spent half of the profits towards helping villagers in Africa become self-sufficient. Very inspiring!
I saw a segment on t.v. not too long ago about them. Very inspiring story-I didn't know that a book had been written about them.
Thanks for the heads up on that

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #718
hmonkeyruns
Mouseketeer

Just finished reading Born to Run by Christoper Mcdougall. It's a non-fiction about a population of native people who live in the Copper Canyon area of Mexico who have a crazy ability to run ultra-distance races in high heat, virtually barefoot. They are called the Tarahumara and the author calls them "a near-mythical tribe of Stone Age superathletes". The book talks about ultra-running, the native people of Mexico, and the whole idea that humans evolved to run and how we'd be better off doing it barefoot instead of in Nikes.

It's good, but probably not something that would thrill non-runners,although I found it a fascinating book and very easy to read.

Next up is the novel Little Bee by Chris Cleve. This was recommended to me by one of the podcasts I listen to and they didn't divulge any information about the story. Even at the Amazon page it won't cough up any info on the book, instead it says (and the caps are as it appears on Amazon): WE DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS BOOK

I recently finished Firefly Lane and I have to say, I was not a fan. I like chick-lit and the basic story was OK but all I could think of, from about half way through, was that she really needed a good editor. I agree with a previous poster that said it was a lot like Best Friends Forever but I like BFF much better than Firefly Lane, which was the opposite reaction of that other person. It's funny how books hit everyone differently.
hmonkeyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #719
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
Just downloaded "The Ghost" by Robert Harris

It's the book the new movie "Ghost Writer" is based on. I've been seeing the trailers recently and it looks to be a very suspenseful movie. Hopefully the book is as good as they appear.
Read it. It was pretty good. I've enjoyed some of his other books, too.

Requested a sample of You say tomato, I say shut up for the kindle. Looks funny.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #720
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Thanks to DISers and this thread I now have the following wishlist. Yes I do like Stephen King.

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son - Book I
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: City of Night - Book II by Ed Gorman
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive - Book III
Lost City of Z by David Grann
New York by Edward Rutherfurd
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca
Zombies by Eric S. Brown