Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
We requested Alligator Bayou as well, since we are asking for the trundle beds. I hope to be in one of the buildings by the main pool. I am going to fax that request in a few days before our trip. We'll see what happens!!
Well, we may well be neighbours

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
PrincessInOz
in

PreTrip Report May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - 'World' Beating plans?? #7

So I've been reading a few PTR like everyone else and am starting to feel like I need to put some thought into planning my time at the World.

Here are my initial thoughts.
Tues 4 May – check into POR and pick up KKTW. I’m not sure what time we will arrive as we are driving up from Miami in the morning. Depending on how we feel, I’m think we could hang out by the pool and then head over to DTD for some food. I had originally thought we would go to Raglan Road for dinner but I checked the QSDP and it’s not on the plan. Might check out WPE instead.
The alternative is to head over to MK and grab a spot to eat and stay for Wishes.

On the QSDP, we will have 10 CS, 10 snacks to spend over the 5 nights/6 days at POR.

Dinner: either WPE or Columbia Harbour House (CS # 1)

Wed 5 May – Epcot/MK ? day. I suspect that the extended family will want to head to MK. But I’m meeting Dis-ers at Epcot at noon. So, I’ll need to hop over or convince the extended family to go to Epcot on this day. Hmm. Going to have to work on this one. No biggie – I can always fly solo, hop over and then hop back. Assuming that we are at Epcot, food plans for this day are:
Breakfast: POR foodcourt (S # 1)
Lunch: Sunshine Season or Yorkshire Fish and Chips (CS #2)
Dinner: Tangerine Café (CS #3)
Snack: either French Boulangerie or Norway School Bread. (S #2)

Must do at Epcot:
1. Test Track
2. Soarin’
3. Illuminations
4. Every Country!
5. Eat a snack or 15 at the Boulangerie

Thur 6 May – POR morning, MK afternoon. DS and Dtwins are booked in for the Bayou Adventure at POR, which will finish at 11.30 am. I’ve just checked out the park schedule and MK closes at 10 pm today. I might be able to convince extended family to do Epcot on the 5th so that we can have extra time at MK. Spectromagic and Wishes are both on; which will be the other argument.
Breakfast: POR food court (S #3)
Lunch: potentially POR food court after we pick up kids (CS #4)
Dinner: If we end up at MK, either CHH, Cosmic Rays, El Pirata y el Perico (if opened) or Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (if opened) (CS #5)
Snack: Dole Pineapple float (S #4)

Must do at MK
:
1. Splash Mountain
2. Space Mountain
3. Wishes
4. Philharmagic
5. Spectromagic

Fri 7 May – Shopping morning, HS afternoon. We may head out for a non-park day and do some shopping at the outlet malls. HS has EME; so after the shopping, we’ll head to HS. No Fantasmic; but nothing’s perfect.
Breakfast: POR food court (S #5)
Lunch: TBC (OOP)
Dinner: either Pizza Planet, ABC Commissary, Backlot Express or Starring Roles. (CS #6)
Snacks: TBC (S #6)

Must do at HS:
1. Rock n Roller Coaster
2. Fantasmic
3. Lights, Motor, Action stunt show
4. Toy Story Mania
5. Beauty and the Beast

Sat 8 May – Animal Kingdom day.
Breakfast – Tusker House (OOP)
Lunch – either Yak and Yeti or Pizzafari (CS #7)
Dinner – TBC (CS #8)
Snacks – Chai tea at Royal Anandapur (S #7)

Must do at AK:
1. Everest Expedition
2. Kali Water Rapids
3. Finding Nemo
4. Festival of the Lion King

Sun 9 May – Check out of POR and move into BCV. We have to finish our QS today by midnight. I’ll have to think what we want to do on the second week and update next time.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-21-2010 at 02:14 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #33
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Hi PrincessinOz!!

I will also be at WDW in May. Although we don't get there until May 6 (after a few days in Vegas). But we are lucky enough to not be leaving until May 26!! We will be staying offsite - 3 weeks in a hotel room (even though it's only 2 of us) would drive me mad!!! I am starting to get a bit excited now!!

I love your plans so far - I look forward to seeing what you plan for your BCV stay.

Like you most of our holiday has been paid for now - got to love the good exchange rate around now. The only thing I have left to do is pay for the rental car and get some cash for our arrival. Happy days...!!!

OK - waiting to hear your updates.

Your fellow Aussie.

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #34
kangaand2roos
Mouseketeer

It all sounds good! I look forward to the Cinco de Mayo meet!
kangaand2roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #35
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Sounds good! Can't wait to meet you

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #36
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
kschafer: Sounds good! Can't wait to meet you
Quote:
kangaand2roos: It all sounds good! I look forward to the Cinco de Mayo meet!
(I really need to work out how to do this multiquote thing with the originator's names!!!)

Looking forward to Cinco De Mayo myself. It's still 10 weeks away and I'm trying hard to keep a lid on the excitement level. I have to concentrate on WORK (oh yes.....the thing I have to do to pay for this trip ).

G'Day Heather. Thanks for joining in my PTR. Yes, great exchange rate. I've been swapping money from the 94 cent highs and am watching it now that it's creeping back to 90 cents. I think it will go a little higher early March before the Reserve bank meets. I love/hate rumours of Interest rate increases!! Great for the dollar but not the home loan. I still have some more to pay off the POR package - it's all due by the end of March (45 day mark - here we come). I'm hoping for about a 91 cent exchange and then I'll pay it all off. Can't wait.

Where is your off site? Happy hols to you too.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #37
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - To Bag or not To Bag #8

A number of us have been debating "The Bag" thing. My turn.

For me, I'm just plain envious about the range, price and availability of bags in the US. Things are much more expensive in OZ.
KSchafer's thread on The Bag has been resolved. She bought the Baggalini messenger bag.
Oh - to Bag or not to bag? That is the question for me.
I the Messenger bag - in lime green for DisBoard solidarity. In Orange because it's so way off any colour for Oz and the Giraffe pattern, which is more in keeping with the black Melbourne uniform.

Whilst I'm still debating this, here's what I currently have and there is nothing wrong with my current arrangement.

I have a Hedgren bag that goes travelling with me. It's big enough for purse, passports, wipes/sanitising gel, bandaids, tissues, pens, autograph book, poncho, bottle of water...

I like to sling it over my shoulder.

Here's a recent 'find' at the $2 shop. It's a Tinkerbell and friends bag tag. And it's limey green!! It was in one of those "Collect them all" surprise packets of 5 items on Tinkerbell out of the collection of about 20 items. I picked through all 10 packets to see if I could feel the bag tag. Couldn't resist.

Here's my bag and the bag tag. Perfect match?? Well, I hope Pikachu thinks so as he's probably going to have to share space with Tink at the World.

So, do I need a new bag? No.
Do I want a new bag? Yes!!
Should I order it on-line and have it delivered? Well...I'd still like to touch and feel the messenger before committing myself. I'll have to see if there are any shops that stock it in LA; or Orlando.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #38
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Your plans look great so far! The cinco meet should be a LOT of fun!!!
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #39
cdotla
Trish

Hoping on! We will definitely be overlapping on our trips, and our Park itineraries.

I look forward to reading all about your plans!
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #40
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you found a bag! I'm still on the hunt.
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #41
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'll be @ WDW from May 1-8th and am planning on being at the Cinco de Mayo meet, so I thought I'd stop by and get to know you.

Your plans sound great! I'd love to be able to take a long trip like that.

On the quick service dining plan I'll just reiterate what Katie said, the portion size and options available aren't very good for kids. My youngest DS is 9 and he complained all week about having to order from the kids menu. I honestly didn't pay much attention to whether or not the CS credits were pooled. Hopefully they will be and that will solve that problem!

On your TH breakfast, I know it's already booked, but you mentioned that many in your party aren't early risers. Why don't you think about doing a late breakfast, say around 10 and just hit the park early and get the big rides in before you eat? Whichever you do, I think you'll enjoy TH, we ate there in December and thought it was great!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #42
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I knew there was something else that I wanted to comment on, but couldn't remember what it was. It just hit me - you mentioned that you wanted to find a quiet hotel on South Beach. I've been there twice, and I honestly don't think that exists. Lots of bars and nightclubs in that area. It might not be too bad for just one night though.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #43
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Your plans look great so far!
Thanks KC. Been keeping up with your thread too...yours looks fantastic as well.

Quote:
cdotla: Hoping on!
Quote:
SoonerGirl: Hi there! I'll be @ WDW from May 1-8th and am planning on being at the Cinco de Mayo meet, so I thought I'd stop by and get to know you.
Woo Hoo Welcome to my thread. Thanks for hopping on. Hope to see you both at the Tequila Cave.

Quote:
SoonerGirl: On the quick service dining plan I'll just reiterate what Katie said, the portion size and options available aren't very good for kids
DH and I debated this for a long time before we decided to bite the bullet and purchase the plan. We figured that we'd be ahead just on snacks alone for DS and we could share our meals with DS. In any event, because we're doing a split stay, we'll only be on the QSDP for 5 nights. After that, we'll go OOP as a comparison. If Katie is right, I'll be celebrating!! Oh well, time will tell and I'm sure this will give us something to talk about at the Cinco de Mayo meet.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #44
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Melbourne to Orlando via Miami; backtracking #9

WARNING: A little off-track for WDW planning thread; but this is about my plans for getting to the World.

So we have purchased our flights from Melbourne Australia to LA and are still debating what we should do in LA. We're thinking of spending a day in Catalina but plans are really fluid for this part of the trip as we have the jetlag thing to consider. We're looking for accommodation - either around Long Beach or LAX. Recommendations gratefully welcomed! I might post a thread in the California section of the board later. I've tried to see if DH would contemplate staying around Anaheim for this leg and he's not keen on this I'm not fussed about not locking anything in at the moment as there is always plenty of rooms around LAX, which is our fallback position. I have to get a US phone whilst in LA, so some shopping is on the cards. DH still has his prepaid SIM card from last time and will use my old phone. I've just acquired a new i-phone but am not planning on using this in the US. It will cost me a fortune to unlock the phone so that I can roam to a different carrier in the US. The alternative is to pay a fortune for intercarrier charges. My prepaid SIM from the last trip went to a friend of mine, who used it for his trip. Unfortunately, when he returned it to me, I've put it somewhere "safe" but can't find it now. So, a trip to Target, Best Buys, Frys or anywhere that sells a prepaid phone is high on the agenda.

We have also locked in our flights from LA to Miami. We have 2 nights to plan for around Miami. We're hiring the car out of Miami airport and I'm thinking that we should head down towards Florida City or Homestead for 1 night. It's about 45 minutes drive from Miami Airport and this will mean that we can hit the Everglade National Park really early in the morning and spend a full day there. We're down to two possible motel options - Hampton Inn and Suites in Homestead ($129 per night) or the Travelodge in Florida City ($77 per night). I'm keen on the Travelodge to save some $$ and DH prefers the HI because it's newer (and cleaner). Both come with breakfast. Happy for thoughts and comments on this one.

On the second night, I had originally thought about staying in SoBe proper. But as SoonerGirl has pointed out, there is no such thing as a quiet hotel in this part of the world. I've been hunting around and have earmarked the Grand Beach Hotel, Miami Beach as a front runner. This one seem to be about $175 - $215 per night, plus $25 for valet parking. Happy for thoughts and comments on this one too. I figured that it will be a very long time before I'm back in this part of the world, so I might as well experience the Atlantic Ocean in some degree of style.

DH and I will probably wait another week or so; but unless my reseach pulls up anything else in Miami Beach area, I'm going to lock in the GB Hotel.

We'll hit SoBe from this base and hopefully find it quieter around Miami Beach at night. SoonerGirl - if you have any recommendations for good restaurants in SoBe, let me know.

On the 4th, we'll start driving up towards Melbourne Florida and Orlando. I was looking at the Florida map and thinking that we could head up the A1A for a bit (just to check out the scenery) and then head towards the 91 or the 95. We'll eventually take the 95 to Melbourne Florida and check it out. I'll have to get some photos of us in the town.

I plan to drive up towards the 528 and head straight for the World, using the 417. Check into POR and then work out where the rest of the family is.

The extended family have finally booked accommodation and are staying at a nice off site within 5 mile radius of the World. They will have the 2 bedroom and living room to spread out in.

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-24-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #45
kangaand2roos
Mouseketeer

I can't recommend hotels in LA or Long Beach as we always stay with my brother or sister, but I can recommend a visit to the Long Beach Aquarium. It is really excellent. We always fly in and out of Long Beach and when we land, I usually take the kids right to the aquarium, instead of trudging up to LA right away. We always really enjoy it, especially petting the stingrays and sharks!
kangaand2roos is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: