Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

That is great news! It is only a few weeks away now. I can't wait to read your trip report.
I vote poncho on SM, but I am too much of a wuss to ride it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #32
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Thanks for the pictures of the items you received. I have been wondering what kind of pack we would get in 2010.

As for Splash Mountain wear the poncho. I have been on where I got a little wet and I've been on when I have been drenched from head to toe.

I was going to start packing this weekend but never did. I think I will next week.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #33
airbear
Earning My Ears

I have never been on the Splash Mountain at Disneyland but I have ridden Splash Mountain at Disney World a zillion times and I've never worn a poncho. Your level of wetness at the end of the ride depends on where you sit. Front seats usually get pretty wet. Back seats are much drier. By the way, I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report Knewton. Have a blast on your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #34
aspen37

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
I have never been on the Splash Mountain at Disneyland but I have ridden Splash Mountain at Disney World a zillion times and I've never worn a poncho. Your level of wetness at the end of the ride depends on where you sit. Front seats usually get pretty wet. Back seats are much drier. By the way, I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report Knewton. Have a blast on your trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.
I have been soaked a few times in the last row. At WDW Splash Mountain sits two in a row. I was told to sit in the back on the left and I wouldn't get very wet, I got soaked. The other thing is the water cannons, if they have them turned up it won't matter where you sit. We weren't coming down the hill the last time I got soaked we were on the other side of the drop and the water cannons we really turned up and everyone in our log was soaked from head to toe. It was a rather chilly day to start with and we had to leave so we could change. I now wear a poncho as much as I don't like it. I do like having it to sit on so my butt isn't all wet when I get off the ride though.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #35
airbear
Earning My Ears

I totally forgot of the water cannons. I guess I just don't mind getting wet. All this talk makes me want to ride that thing right now.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #36
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Hi Kris
Just came accross your new pre-trippie and I am so excited! This is the trip I have always wanted to do and am still hoping to do for my 50th birthday! I also want to do the one you did before, but this is the biggie! To walk in Walt's footsteps .... wow, what a thrill. You are so lucky
So I am loking forward to reading all about your new adventures
Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile Update on Stacey, Splash Mountain's water cannons? & the Electrical parade....oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
i have been soaked a few times in the last row. At wdw splash mountain sits two in a row. I was told to sit in the back on the left and i wouldn't get very wet, i got soaked. The other thing is the water cannons, if they have them turned up it won't matter where you sit. We weren't coming down the hill the last time i got soaked we were on the other side of the drop and the water cannons we really turned up and everyone in our log was soaked from head to toe. It was a rather chilly day to start with and we had to leave so we could change. I now wear a poncho as much as i don't like it. I do like having it to sit on so my butt isn't all wet when i get off the ride though.

WATER CANNONS???? DID SOMEONE SAY WATER CANNONS?? ------

Ok....I am sooooo there!

That sealed it for me! Look for me to be ON the front row......WITHOUT a poncho! YYEEAA
I now have that penned in as the last thing I do as DL (on my post day) before I go back home to change and then onto California Adventure.
....and I plan on getting a picture (I have never had a picture of me on a ride....until now) of me riding that flume ride.....I mean - WOW! that amount of a drop at that angle??

WOW! I am sooooo there! hhhhmmmm......can this ride be ridden at night time????

thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyangelic View Post
hi kris
just came accross your new pre-trippie and i am so excited! This is the trip i have always wanted to do and am still hoping to do for my 50th birthday! I also want to do the one you did before, but this is the biggie! To walk in walt's footsteps .... Wow, what a thrill. You are so lucky
So i am loking forward to reading all about your new adventures

Thanks for the compliment about my ABD's "Spirit of America" trip report.

These two ABD adventures I really recommend to anyone as a way to see some our nation's history from a wonderful perspective and to also reflect on our heritage. Conversely speaking, my upcoming Backstage Magic adventure is also a wonderful way to see just how Diane Disney Miller's words really ring true when she said a few years ago that (in essence) the phrase "Walt Disney World" isn't just a corporate logo. She went on to say that there was actually someone behind that logo that made all of this happen.

This is one the many reasons why I am choosing to go on this adventure and yes, I expect to encounter many a moment of silence like when saw JFK's gravesight for the 1st time (Spririt of America trip; Sept. 2009).....and I am from Dallas Texas. Below is my experience on when I saw their graves for the very first time:

Here we were, getting off the tram (at the bottom of the hill via where the Lee house is) and the ABD guides asked us to walk up a few steps and then turn around.
At the mid section, I stopped and turned around. WOW! That is a wonderful view BUT....what happened next caught me completly off guard.
I walked up the 2nd set of steps (all the while looking at just how magnificent the Lee house looks) when all of a suddden, I realized that I am looking down at the gravesite of our former President and 1st Lady.
When I saw their graves, I just stood there, silently crying - that's how emotionally moved I was.

And yes, I have seen the 6th floor exhibit here in Dallas Texas.

And I expect many a moment like that on this upcoming adventure. Hope this is making sense. Apoligize for the rambling here.
Mr Disney & Mr Henson were such remarkable people & I feel very honored to be a part of this upcoming adventure.

Anywho -

about Stacey.....

I am an individual who keeps odd hours when it comes to Disney vacations. So, when I was at WDW in January 2009, I accidently came across "The Stacey television channel (ok that was a compliment!).
So, I gave her a ring via e-mail to see if "her channel" is also on at Disneyland. Well -

She replied very kindly: NO.

WWAAAA!!

I tell you what, If I had a Disney dream (of many), it's to have me on the DL channel as "Tracey" (hey.....Casey is the spokesperson for Disney Vacation club so why NOT carry on the tradition of names closely related to each other?) and promote Disneyland & California Adventure in the spirit of the other two I just mentioned.

Ok....so does anyone out there KNOW what's on the Disney channels??

Q: Is there a DVC tv channel, DCL tv channel, WDW tv channel, "radio Disney" tv channel and a regular Disney channel?????

On a different note, I see that Disney's "Electrical parade" will be shown (8:45pm) during the time I will be there - which is good. Same for the fireworks (9:25pm).

ok....I will be putting in a few more updates more & more the closer I get to dated of departure

Up next:

Slight revisions on where I will be via pm of day four, five & six now that I see the park schedules are out. Will update on Sunday of this week so until then -

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND & SCOTLAND" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT - August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014

Last edited by knewton64; 02-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #38
aspen37

Just incase your interested here is a link to a thread showing some of the construction going on at DL/DCA, and new stuff that is finished. Tom did a great job with this posting.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2403132

Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #39
flafan
Mouseketeer

I am so glad I found this pre-trip. I love the way you tell a story I will be following right along and am looking forward to hearing more. Now am I going to read your other reports, looks like I will be home for a while which is fine with me especially on this lazy Sunday morn.
More coffee please.
1997 Marriot World Center & Dixie Landings
1998 Fort Wilderness Campground - Cabins
1999 Marriot World Center - Boardwalk Villas
2000 Old Key West
2002 Marriot Cypress Harbour
2003 Marriot Cypress Harbour - Hard Rock Hotel-Club Level
2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Club Level - Royal Pacific Hotel
2006 Royal Pacific Hotel- Club Level - Vistana Villages
2008 Vistana Villages - Portofino Bay - Club level
2009 Sheraton National Hotel - Wash. DC Club Level
2013 July - Beach Club/Club Level
Old 02-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #40
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile Park hrs revisions, more last minute packing & why I like those Disney tv channels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
Just incase your interested here is a link to a thread showing some of the construction going on at DL/DCA, and new stuff that is finished. Tom did a great job with this posting.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2403132

OK - now that's way cool! Seeing ROA like that was very impressive. Thanks for allowing me to see those pictures.
More info listed below about ROA, Pirates Lair, Sailing ship Columbia & such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafan View Post
I am so glad I found this pre-trip. I love the way you tell a story I will be following right along and am looking forward to hearing more. Now am I going to read your other reports, looks like I will be home for a while which is fine with me especially on this lazy Sunday morn.
More coffee please.

Thanks 4 the compliment! Ah - I can tell you are like me....needing a jolt to get you moving in the am. With me while on a Disney vacation, it's Three words....nay four words:

1,2) Dr. Pepper

3)and

4) STACEY
*************** BUT ****************

Since she isn't on ANY of the Disney tv channels while I will be a DL/ DCA, I get a feeling that I am going to be a little "outta sync" so if any of you know what's on tv out there, I would GREATLY apreciate it. She's a great motivator & I really do miss her presence.
I like watching those channels for a reason - which is I make it a point to NOT watch nor get caught up in any of the "outside world" news. Per se, when I am in Walt's world, I stay in his world and it really enhances the overall experience for me.
That & it really really gives me ideas (when I am decompressing from a hard days work walking around all those Disney parks & such) on where my next ABD adventure will take me.

HINT: I have already purchased (& haven't watched it yet) a dvd of the Disney movie, "Darby O'Gill & the Little People" & am just awaiting on the area of August 1st to roll around. I have decided to take the plunge on this adventure & am looking forward to it; conversion rate or no conversion rate issues....

ANYWHO -

About those pesky park hours.......
Times for park hours are usually posted (on Disneyland.com for example) about 30-45 days prior to your adventure. So -

After looking at the park schedules, I get a feeling that my park adventure highlights will be roughly as follows:

Day 3: Tuesday March 30th (1/2 day at DL; after 7-8pm)
Disneyland is opened until midnight that day so I get a feeling that evening that we will be watching
fireworks. I have NEVER seen Disney fireworks so this is bound to be one of those "grab the kleenex" tissue moments for me.

Day 4: Wednesday March 31st (full day at Disneyland)
DL stays open until midnight again so I figure I will head out to the following during approx 4pm to midnights via "On Your Own Time:"

Will be watching 3pm parade from the train station; so proceed to

1) Main Street USA: "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln."
Hall of Presidents was closed when I made my only visit to a Disney park (Jan 2009), so this I am really looking forward to.

2) Ear Engine (Main Street USA): purchase Mr Potato Head parts.

Adventureland

3) Enchanted Tiki Room
nothing beats the original.

Fantasyland
4) Matterhorn
5) Alice in Wonderland
5a) Mad Tea party.
I walked right by it while at WDW (Jan 2009) but didn't have enough time to go back & ride it. A must for me.

...and finish in Mickey's Toontown. Pst!.....I plan on catching up with the Rivers of America, Columbia Sailing ship & what not on my post day....

OOPS! ROA, Columbia Sailing ship, Tom Sawyer's Island, Davey Crockett explorer canoes....all shut down due to being refurbished. So -

Anywho, after Mickey's Toontown -

Then take a rr train back to Main Street USA and...

WALK BACK TO CRITTER COUNTRY AND .....DUM DE DUM DUM!!!! DUM DE DUM DUM DAAAAA!!!!

C-H-E-C-K OUT SPLASH MOUNTAIN....IN THE DARK...SITTING ON THE FRONT ROW AND WITH N-O PONCHO!!!!.

Then, squish squish my water-soaked bod in the general direction of Main Street USA, air drying all the way and subsequently get a bite to eat at Carnation Cafe (half Turkey Sandwich on Pretzel Bread with the Loaded Baked Potato Soup perhaps?) & at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, a rice Krispy treat with soft drink to go 2 take back to the hotel (food opinion & pics forthcoming) but take my time as I meander through Downtown Disney and do some shopping.....and find a place that makes a mean margarita .

Mental Note: pack an extra pair of tenny-shoes in my suitcase!
(and baby powder).

Day 5: Thursday April 1st (full day at Disney's California Adventure)

DCA stays open this day until 10pm so after a group get together during the am, I am just going to CAMP OUT in the "Paradise Pier" section of DCA & then boogy on back to the front entrance for our farewell dinner (5:45pm). So I am guessing & this is a big guess, that we would have enough time to see the 8:45pm Showing of Disney's "Electrical Parade." AGAIN, this is another "Grab the Kleenex" moment for me as I have never seen this parade before.

Day 6: my post day:

I have a severe wanting (Haven't 100% decided on this...yet) to Rope Drop at Disneyland BUT.....that means no departing breakfast for me with the rest of my fellow adventurers. So I am thinking of asking one of the ABD guides if they can be extra extra extra kind and "box up a breakfast snack & drink" for me (they are bound to look at me like I am a little Goofy but hey....it's worth asking) & put in my refrigerator in my room to nibble on later that evening when I get home.

** This way I can see Pixihollow **

Ok ok ok....what can I tell you.....I think Tink's cute and besides, there are only a handfull of Disney characters that can make me blush & that's 1) Bo Peep (when she blew me a kiss when I was taking her picture) and 2) Minnie Mouse (when I asked her for a kiss &... she kissed me right ontop of my forehead); both taking place during my one and only trip to a Disney park - January 2009 at WDW.

Anywho -

After finishing up at DL, a quick hop on over to DCA &:

A must see for me: Disney's "Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular" @ 12:10pm.

.....etc.

So, this is just a brief (BRIEF??) outline on what I'm thinking is either up my sleeve or ABD's. I will drop this, be on the lookout for more surprises coming from me because my famous motto is:

"While traveling with me on a Disney adventure, expect the unexpected"

I will pop in this same time mid next week as I have set a deadline to finish packing my OnE sUiTcAsE (ok....an explanation behind my typing there....I am such a two person suitcase & it is such a pain to be compressed into one suitcase but I dread those extra baggage fees!) & "Ladybug" has an appointment to get her nails trimmed & a bath.......by non other that yours truely.

Gotta love Dogs.

T-minus 624 hours and counting......

Until next time -

SEE YOU REAL SOON -
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND & SCOTLAND" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT - August 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014

Last edited by knewton64; 03-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #41
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

WOW .... your plans sound amazing and very well planned out

Can't wait to hear about it in reality ..... visiting Disneyland is one of my dreams ! ( hoping to do so in 2014)
Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #42
flafan
Mouseketeer

Your plans sounds amazing. I will checking in often to hear how everything went. Packing should not be a problem you have done it before Did you ever get a copy of Aladdin? just curious, I saw them selling on EBAY. Have fun you are so close now.
1997 Marriot World Center & Dixie Landings
1998 Fort Wilderness Campground - Cabins
1999 Marriot World Center - Boardwalk Villas
2000 Old Key West
2002 Marriot Cypress Harbour
2003 Marriot Cypress Harbour - Hard Rock Hotel-Club Level
2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Club Level - Royal Pacific Hotel
2006 Royal Pacific Hotel- Club Level - Vistana Villages
2008 Vistana Villages - Portofino Bay - Club level
2009 Sheraton National Hotel - Wash. DC Club Level
2013 July - Beach Club/Club Level
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #43
jacksparrowfan
Mouseketeer

Looks like you have a great trip planned for yourself. But, you have it right..."expect the unexpected". The Guides are full of wonderful surprises along the way. Sit back and enjoy the ride! When they "set you free", they may have something planned that you can come back to. You never know!

Breakfast on the last day has been at Storytellers within the Grand. It is a buffet breakfast with the characters. So, maybe they will give you a voucher for breakfast in the park, or something else? I think they accomodated people who have to leave on a flight very early so just maybe they will get you taken care of. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Looking forward to your trip report and what they have in store for this year! Have a magical Disney time!

October 20, 2009 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you Guides Michael & Jaime for making another great magical tour!

Summer 2011 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you, again, to our Guides & Friends Michael & Jaime - nothing but magic!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #44
aspen37

I have read on another TR that breakfast is at your leisure the last morning. I think you can eat and still make rope drop.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #45
jacksparrowfan
Mouseketeer

Breakfast was usually from 7 to 9am. And, one can go anytime during those hours to eat and say goodbye. It's kind of sad to say goodbye to your new friends. But, you will keep in touch forever!

October 20, 2009 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you Guides Michael & Jaime for making another great magical tour!

Summer 2011 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you, again, to our Guides & Friends Michael & Jaime - nothing but magic!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: