Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

An Aussie - FINALLY makes it to the US - Update #4

I'm starting to hit maximum on the celebration button !! I finally managed to secure seats for DS and myself on Qantas. The cost of these seats came in $300 under my allocated budget which means more money to spend!
And the best part - we managed to get the same flights as DH, who got his using his points. DisneyWorld here were come!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-15-2010 at 06:26 AM.
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
kangaand2roos
Mouseketeer

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
kangaand2roos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

I'm in do you have an ADRs yet? I'm going in May too on 16th! It'll be DH and I's second trip together to WDW. It's my 4th. Haha! Went there as a kind a couple of times. We live only 8 hours from DL...but WDW is bigger and offers more thing. And we went to DL like every American Holiday last year pretty much. :P Those APs paid for themselves pretty quickly!

Can't wait to read the rest of your planning!
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #19
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
I'm in do you have an ADRs yet? I'm going in May too on 16th! It'll be DH and I's second trip together to WDW. It's my 4th. Haha! Went there as a kind a couple of times. We live only 8 hours from DL...but WDW is bigger and offers more thing. And we went to DL like every American Holiday last year pretty much. :P Those APs paid for themselves pretty quickly!

Can't wait to read the rest of your planning!
Thanks for subbing!! Really appreciate knowing that other people are interested in my plans. My family, DH and DS are sick of me researching and planning all the time

We're gonna miss each other at the World - I'll be there from the 4 - 14th May. Maybe I can hide something from Oz somewhere for you in the park

We're doing a split stay - 5 nights POR and 5 nights BCV. We've added the QSDP to the POR package but the maths didn't add up for us to add DP to BCV. We couldn't justify having to purchase another day's park ticket to qualify. I even looked at purchasing an AP so that we could get the DP for the entire trip and in the end, I figured that our dining style is more aligned to QS and we would only do about 1 or 2 TS meals during the time. So, I'll be able to do a quantitative comparison between QSDP vs no DP. I know I'm late and won't have a chance of getting in to the TS restaurants of choice but I also have to consider what DB and Dparents want to do. Their planning style is completely different to mine.
But I managed to have a discussion with DB today about the TS meals and will get on to that next.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks for subbing!! Really appreciate knowing that other people are interested in my plans. My family, DH and DS are sick of me researching and planning all the time

We're gonna miss each other at the World - I'll be there from the 4 - 14th May. Maybe I can hide something from Oz somewhere for you in the park

We're doing a split stay - 5 nights POR and 5 nights BCV. We've added the QSDP to the POR package but the maths didn't add up for us to add DP to BCV. We couldn't justify having to purchase another day's park ticket to qualify. I even looked at purchasing an AP so that we could get the DP for the entire trip and in the end, I figured that our dining style is more aligned to QS and we would only do about 1 or 2 TS meals during the time. So, I'll be able to do a quantitative comparison between QSDP vs no DP. I know I'm late and won't have a chance of getting in to the TS restaurants of choice but I also have to consider what DB and Dparents want to do. Their planning style is completely different to mine.
But I managed to have a discussion with DB today about the TS meals and will get on to that next.

Well you'd be surprised. You might still be able to get into some TS resturants. Not sure about Character Meals. But doesn't matter too much the food at the World is still great!

I can't wait to go! Yeah it seems only one other family on here is going at the same time as DH and myself. Let's just hope this year it doesn't rain!

Yes please do leave something from Oz that would be awesome time find! Well let us know what QS places you decide to go to. I recommend the Noodle place in Tomorrow Land when it's open and also the Yakitori House in Japan at Epcot. Oh and of course the Columbia House! I had a delicious Hummus sandwich from there!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Yay for having the plane tickets bought!

I would play with the online reservation system just to see what TS you might get. I've made lots of changes and even with 2 1/2 months to go, there is still a lot available! It's nice to throw in a couple sit-down meals here and there

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #22
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Dining plans report #5

Sometimes I so hate my extended family....been only waiting MONTHS for them to decide what they want to do! DB and DParents are very probably staying off site somewhere (they still haven't booked accommodation yet) - no biggie as we all like to meet and separate. But after months of trying to convince them that we should lock in some ADRs without success, I finally bit the bullet to book a couple for myself, DH and DS.

We are on the QSDP when we are staying at POR for 5 days. This plan so suits our style of eating. We're not big on sitting down for 2 courses and I couldn't see DS sitting still for 5 minutes; much less 50! So, we will be trying to hit as many of the following CS choices:
Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbour, Cosmic Rays, El Pirata y el Perico (if opened), Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (if opened)
Epcot - Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe, Yorkshire Fish and Chips, Yakitori House
AK - Yak and Yeti, Pizzafari
HS - Pizza Planet, Starring Rolls
DD - WPE, Earl of Sandwich, Cookes of Dublin
POR - food court

I figure we should have enough options without having to face a burger or hotdog unless by choice.

When we transfer to BCV, we will be going OOP. I figure that we will have a toaster, kettle and micro in the studio and we should be fine for breakfast.
But DS likes having breakfast with characters. DH and I have unfortunately been "blessed" with the early morning genes. No one else in my family (or his) are early morning people. Therefore, I logically didn't even try to talk to the extended family about a character breakfast. So, I now have an ADR breakfast booked at Cape May for one of the mornings.

I also thought we would book in one TS at an Epcot restaurant for this time. My TA was investigating a range of dates and options for me for the following restaurants:
Le Cellier
Chefs de France
Marrakesh
Teppen Edo
Kouzzina
and I thought I was close to locking something in...

Well....I made the mistake of telling the extended family some of our plans. Guess what??? They all want to come to a character breakfast as well. I have no idea how they think they are going to make a 7.45 am booking : at Cape May.
So; I am NOT changing my existing ressie for Cape May. DH and I chatted about this and we will do 2 character breakfasts OOP. I am now looking at booking in a 8.15 am breakkie at Tusker House. DP and us have been to Chef Mickey in 2005 and I wanted to try somewhere different. TH seems to have the range of characters that DB and his twins would enjoy. Here's hoping that I can get a table for 9 this late in the game....have to get back to you on this one.

And then DH and DGF also said that they wanted to have a night out for dinner with us. DP will babysit the 3 kids; so we can have a late night and possibly kick on after dinner. So, I'm now looking at trying to get in for:
California Grill and I don't think I have any chance at all of getting a 7 pm sitting for 4. But hey - I have to break the news to my TA; so I might as well shoot for the stars or at least shoot for Wishes!
Will also give the same range of restaurants to TA - only now looking for a table for 4. And will include Jiko and Boma on the list as well....I'll have to get back to you on whether I get an ADR or not.

DB and I also had a discussion about what to do on my birthday. We both like eating at the Cheesecake Factory and think that this may be a good spot to go to for dinner with the family; in the appropriate $ range. Anyone have recommendations for DTD restaurants of similar pricing and food options?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #23
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Yes please do leave something from Oz that would be awesome time find!
We're gonna have to work something out using PM or let me know where you're staying and I'll try to leave a "package" there for you

Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

I would highly recommend Chefs de France. Last time I was there I saw Remi~~! He came to you table and talked to you a bit...well squeaked at you and a hostess would sing sometimes or talk to you about Remi. I've seen belly dancers at the Morroccoan place which is cool but I haven't heard much about the food there. I also highly recommend Teppan Edo! Very Very good~ But Chefs de France has a special place in my heart. I've heard Le Ceilier is good too but I can't eat steak soooooo yeah.

We'll have to get on PM~~!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #25
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Dining plans report #5.1

Dinner with DH, DB and DGF:
California Gril - nothing available until about 8.50 pm. Decided not to go for this as I'll be practically starved by this time.
Le Cellier - nothing available for any time!!
Le Chefs de France - 7 pm ADR booked in.

Breakfast with the family:
Tusker House - 8.10 am ADR booked in.

Both bookings are for when we are at BCV and will be OOP....and I'm keeping my ADR for a Cape May breakfast for just DH, DS and myself

So, I think I may be done for the food planning.
QS for the first 5 days, OOP for the next 5 days with a couple of bookings with the family. Locked in 2 character breakfasts and 1 TS dinner for when we are OOP.
I know that one of you will point out that we might find it more cost effective to upgrade our dining plan or try to get a dining plan for the second part of the trip.
I'd love to....but because we have a split stay, I'll have to purchase at least one day park ticket in order to qualify for the package. This probably is the deal breaker.
Oh well....maybe I'll get lucky when I check in to the second resort and they will:
1. Transfer my remaining park tickets from the old KTTW to the new KTTW.
2. Offer me the chance to purchase a dining plan...(yes, I know I'm dreaming on this one).

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you go into Chefs de France! I love that place!

I don't have any recommendations as far as weather to get the DP or not.....I've never used it...I was told to use it but I don't think SoG praticipates in it. And our tickets are different so I'm not sure if I qualify or not either.

But I think what you've got sounds pretty good and hey since you'll have a car there is alway off resort places you can go to for dinner to off set the cost too! Or even breakfast for that matter.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #27
PrincessInOz
in

PTR May 2010 - An Aussie's Journey - Road trip Miami to Orlando #6

I've paid for my airfare from LAX to Miami. One less bill to pay for this holiday. Miami here we come
We decided to take a day flight out of LAX and will arrive into Miami after 8 pm.

So I posted a question on the transportation board and got a response to the question:
Quote:
For those Melbournians reading this (anyone??), please tell me where to go for the best photo opportunity shots
. Looks like there are road signs along the way.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2399939

So, a little Off-track (pun intended) for the DisBoard (non-World planning) but we have hired a from Alamo car rental. We will pick this up on 2nd May and head down towards Homestead or Florida City and stay the night. I really want to see the Everglades and am planning to spend the day exploring the swamp on the 3rd. I plan to stop at every visitor stop point from the Ernest Coe Visitor Centre down to Flamingo. I debated hiring a canoe...but figured that we could probably paddle about 10 minutes; not the 3 - 4 hours estimated time for the shortest paddle route in Flamingo.

We are thinking of staying the night at South Beach. Not sure where yet - but I'm hoping for something right in the heart of South Beach that will have quiet rooms. Happy to take recommendations.

On the 4th, we'll from Miami via Melbourne to the World. We'll probably head up the 95. I just looked up the map and noticed that Vero Beach is also on the way. Is it worth a stop as well?

With any luck, we'll get in to the World by about 4 pm. I guess I can now start thinking about planning my strategy for the park!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #28
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Congrats on booking your flights! It is an exciting step! Your dining plans look great so far, too. Just think, we may end up being neighbors at POR. Wouldn't that be coincidental?
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #29
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
Congrats on booking your flights! It is an exciting step! Your dining plans look great so far, too. Just think, we may end up being neighbors at POR. Wouldn't that be coincidental?
I know!! I'm really hoping to run into a whole bunch of you at the resorts; possibly early morning at the foodcourt or around the pool.

I've "requested" Aligator Bayou and am really hoping that I get a room there. What about you?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

We requested Alligator Bayou as well, since we are asking for the trundle beds. I hope to be in one of the buildings by the main pool. I am going to fax that request in a few days before our trip. We'll see what happens!!
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
kcandbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: