Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

First Morning at the Magic Kingdom: Rides!

I have never been at the Magic Kingdom at park opening and it was incredible! All of the shop keepers and workers on Main Street (including the custodial staff!) were standing on the sides of the street with big hands attached to their hands, waving to us, welcoming us and saying "Good Morning". Sam and Madeleine were waving back and Madeleine was yelling, "There's Cinderella's Castle!" over and over again. Definitely a magical entrance to the MK! We were able to take it all in all the while walking as quickly as we could pushing two strollers toward our ultimate goal: Dumbo! As we walked up the ramp to go through Cinderella's Castle we noticed that there was no crane and that the construction mess seemed minimal. I was very happy about that. We walked through the castle (more cast members waving and greeting us), and right to the line for Dumbo. We were on in the second group and our morning ride fest was off!

The line for Dumbo was already out the end of the covering, so we passed up a second ride and walked to Peter Pan, leaving our strollers parked at Dumbo. Peter Pan is my husband's favorite Fantasyland ride and I waited in line with him for many hours for several rides on our Honeymoon before I knew anything about trip planning, the DIS and RideMax! We walked right on this morning and when we got off saw that there was no line so rode it again.

We then walked over to The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, which is my favorite Fantasyland ride. I would ride it even if I didn't have kids! Seriously, who wouldn't be happy seeing this:

We walked right on to this ride as well. When we were coming to the unloading area Sam said, "I want to ride this again!". There was a bit of a line at this point and the CM, upon hearing him, said, "You want to ride this again? Well just go right here" and she let us through the FastPass gate. A little Disney magic for our first day at the Magic Kingdom!

After we finished with Winnie-the-Pooh it was time to head over to Toontown to ride Goofy's Barnstormer. For those of you who don't know, it actually opens 15 minutes before the posted 10am opening time and we were hoping to ride the Barnstormer before the line got real long. We loaded the kids back in the stroller and arrived there just before opening. We waited a few minutes and then the cast members did the countdown and threw out more confetti and streamers. Again, major excitement for my kids!

Sam and Madeleine have ridden kiddie coasters at a couple of amusement parks and, having never ridden the Barnstormer myself, I thought they would be fine. We walked right onto the ride (after walking through the very long line area!) and found out that I could only ride with one kid. Sam has always ridden anything he is tall enough for as long as he has a parent riding with him, with an arm around him. I knew that Madeleine couldn't ride this by herself, so told Sam he would have to ride alone since Madeleine was smaller. He started freaking out before the ride even started due to this. I was really surprised at the intensity of the ride and both kids were screaming and crying through the entire thing. When it was over Madeleine said, "I never want to ride that again, EVER!" The CM announced that anyone who wanted to stay on and ride again could, since there was no one waiting, but I knew we needed to get off. After meeting up with Rick and Matthew and calming the kids down, I asked Sam if he'd like to try the ride again with Daddy sitting next to him with his arm around him. He did and they did. Sam loved it (just needed that reassurance) and they rode 2x without getting off. They're in the middle car in this picture:

By the end of the trip Sam was riding on his own no problem:

When they came back to where the rest of us were waiting (Madeleine was having the time of her life chasing birds and Matthew was snacking), Sam asked if I would ride it with him. There was still no line and we rode twice without getting off. What started as a major fear factor had now become Sam's favorite ride.

It was only 10am at this point and we had already ridden way more than we thought we'd be able to in this amount of time. Lines were short and crowds were light, which is just what we'd hoped January would be. The Unoffical Guide had rated this day a 7 in crowds, but we never saw it. We did feel we'd had enough of the Barnstormer for one morning though, so moved on to the Mad Tea Party. Sam and Madeleine love spinning rides, so they rode together and I took Matthew on a separate tea cup so he could experience the ride but not spin. Rick can't spin at all, so he took pictures from the sidelines. We had a minor disaster when Sam ended up not being strong enough to spin his tea cup as fast as he would have liked and started crying on the ride, but there was no line when we got off so I handed Matthew off to Rick and took Sam and Madeleine on again, spinning the cup as fast as I could. Bleh! The kids were happy though.

We headed over to It's A Small World, which Matthew loved. He clapped his hands and rocked back and forth for the entire ride. It was so cute! After that it was on to Snow White's Scary Adventure. I was a little concerned with the kids being scared on this after reading that other kids had been, but they all loved it and we did it twice (again, no line!).

After that it was on to Cinderella's Carrousel. There were hardly any people in line when our ride was over so we stayed on and went around again.

Next up was the kid's very first 3-D movie, PhilharMagic. We all loved it and the kids were laughing and reaching for the characters as they appeared to come off the screen.

After that we headed over to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion. This was the first thing we had to wait for all morning, but it was only for about 10 minutes. I was a little nervous about the kids being scared on this one as well, but they loved it. We walked over to Frontierland and ate our packed lunch while Rick got FP's for Thunder Mtn and then, while heading back to Main Street, saw there was no line for the Jungle Cruise so rode that too. I remember loving that ride as a kid, and the kids did seem to enjoy it, but Rick and I thought it was really lame! I think now that they have the Safari and the River Rapids at the AK this just isn't as exciting.

It was around 12:30 at this point and having ridden way more than we thought we would've done by this time we decided to check on the line at the Barber Shop for Matthew's 1st haircut and head "home" for naps. While we were walking down Main Street the "Street Party" parade was coming down so we stopped and enjoyed that. So cute! I loved the music and the stilt walkers were a big hit with Sam. I wish I had taken a picture. Even though this was a minor parade it was my favorite of all the parades we saw on our trip. Once it had passed us by we walked over to the Barber Shop and decided to get Matthew's haircut since there was only one other person in line.

Coming up next: Matthew's 1st Haircut!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)

Last edited by cheryterese; 06-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Hope your kids are feeling better!

I made my DH ride Winnie the Pooh on our honeymoon- just us, no kids. One of my faves too!

You really lucked out with such short lines! Guess it pays to get there early!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Joining in too...
Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
PrncessA
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I am so glad you found packing the clothes in ziploc bags helpful! Giving the task of dressing the kids to DH was my goal as well, lol.

I would have loved to have watched a park openning but we missed them our entire trip. When we were at the MK we either had a VERY early ADR and got in early, went late or went on a EMH morning. We didn't make it to the other parks opennings either! You got quite a bit done your first morning! I'm sorry that Sam had a bad first experience with GBS, but I am glad it all worked out in the end. We plan on letting DS decide if he wants to ride Space Mountain on our next trip, but I am worried that since he will be sitting by himself it might be too much.

Isn't the line queue for the Barnstormer so LONG!?! It feels like you walk for miles to get there!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Joining in! Hope your kids are feeling better!

I made my DH ride Winnie the Pooh on our honeymoon- just us, no kids. One of my faves too!

You really lucked out with such short lines! Guess it pays to get there early!

The kids have been sick since we got back from Disney! Last week Madeleine had the stomach flu (Matthew had it on our trip - more on that later) and now Matthew has a temp of 103.6 and Sam has a low fever and a rash all over his body. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

That's funny about Winnie-the-Pooh! I love that we have little kids now so I don't feel so silly riding it!

And yes, we got so much done on the days we were at the parks before opening. We will definitely be doing that again, especially at this age of early rising children! We did have a few late-start mornings as well and those were a needed break. We noticed a huge difference in the crowds when we did arrive later though.

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
Joining in too...

Welcome!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrncessA View Post
Great updates! I am so glad you found packing the clothes in ziploc bags helpful! Giving the task of dressing the kids to DH was my goal as well, lol.

I would have loved to have watched a park openning but we missed them our entire trip. When we were at the MK we either had a VERY early ADR and got in early, went late or went on a EMH morning. We didn't make it to the other parks opennings either! You got quite a bit done your first morning! I'm sorry that Sam had a bad first experience with GBS, but I am glad it all worked out in the end. We plan on letting DS decide if he wants to ride Space Mountain on our next trip, but I am worried that since he will be sitting by himself it might be too much.

Isn't the line queue for the Barnstormer so LONG!?! It feels like you walk for miles to get there!
Definitely try to make a MK park opening on your next trip. So fun!

As for getting a lot done on our first morning, I felt like commando-momma!

Sam did end up trying Space Mtn as well (more on that coming soon!), and after the first ride he loved it and rode it many times on our trip. I explained to him that he would have to sit in front of me and I held his hand from behind. Not very comfortable for me, but it made him happy.

And yes, what is up with the Barnstormer queue? Are there ever that many people in line? It took forever to walk the kids through there!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer

This so helpful! We too have a Sam (5) Eden (2) and Jessie (9 mths at trip time) and this is tremendously informative on rides and kids that age.
I also do the zip lock bag trick and after the kids get dressed we let them have that zip lock bag so they can fill it through out the day for their "memory box".
We decorate the bags the week before the hype up the anticipation.
I take the baby's bag and use it as a diaper filler for emergency changes. I am going to google this ride max!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandeden View Post
This so helpful! We too have a Sam (5) Eden (2) and Jessie (9 mths at trip time) and this is tremendously informative on rides and kids that age.
I also do the zip lock bag trick and after the kids get dressed we let them have that zip lock bag so they can fill it through out the day for their "memory box".
We decorate the bags the week before the hype up the anticipation.
I take the baby's bag and use it as a diaper filler for emergency changes. I am going to google this ride max!

When was your trip, or when is it?

Great idea about the "memory box"!

RideMax was great. Even though we weren't there at a super busy time, it was nice to have a schedule and know where we were heading with how long it would take to walk there and how long each ride would take. I think RideMax would be essential during the peak season. We ended up being able to fit in even more than it told us we would, which was wonderful.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Matthew's 1st Haircut!

We arrived at the Barber Shop around 12:40. There were two barber's working, each with someone in their chair, and one other person in line. We didn't figure the wait would get much shorter than this so herded the kids to the small section of wall benches. I was surprised at how small it was in there! We only waited about 5 minutes (but by the time we were done there was a line out the door). Matthew turned 18 months on the trip, and while he hardly had any hair to begin with, we really wanted to have his 1st haircut there and thought it would be such a special memory. Here is his "before" photo:

Our barber told me to set Matthew in the chair, on top of a cushioned block. I doubted he would sit on his own and had planned to hold him on my lap, but she wanted me to try it. Rick was on picture duty! As soon as I tried to place him on the block he started fussing, but she immediately started sticking Mickey Mouse stickers all over his clothes and this interested him. Sam was standing right there watching so she stuck some stickers on him as well.

And then, of course, Madeleine wanted some so our barber bent down to stick some on her too:

She started the haircut by shaving the back. Matthew was not too sure about that as you can see by the expression on his face:

He really didn't like it when she started with the water and the scissors, but he was surprisingly more still than I thought he would be.

He started to get fussy and wiggly here, so she brought out some toys to distract him:

She was great with Sam and Madeleine and gave them toys to play with as well. When he was all done he got a pair of Mickey ears that said "First Haircut" on the back, a certificate, and a lock of hair mixed with "pixie dust" wrapped up in a napkin with a Mickey Mouse sticker.

She then surprised us and told Sam to come over to her for some "Pirate Dust" and Madeleine for some "Pixie Dust":

What a great experience! When we left the barber shop and got back outside, the "Street Party" parade was coming back through so we watched it again, this time with the new "do's"!

After this we made a brief stop at The Confectionary. We had given Sam and Madeleine a piggy bank to save money for Disney about 6 months before our trip. We figured this would cover little extras like candy, balloons, ice cream, snacks and Mickey Ears. They were very diligent about putting any change they found (on the street, lying around the house, etc,) or money they were given in the piggy bank and when we tallied it all up just before we left they had saved $120! They each picked out a candy treat and after checking out were asked by two cast members if they wanted to play a game. They said yes and played a tossing game. When they were done the cast members gave each of them a little certificate commemorating the "Taffy Toss" (Matthew's was made out to "Prince Baby Matthew") and another treat from the store (a chocolate and sprinkle coated marshmallow on a stick). More Disney magic on our first day in the Magic Kingdom!

We then headed "home" for naps and a swim. I'll finish up our day in another post since this one is so picture heavy already.

Coming up next: Our evening in the Magic Kingdom

Last edited by cheryterese; 09-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Great TR so far! I love that the baby had his first haircut at WDW!! SO sweet!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #27
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you figured out the links! I'm loving your TR so far, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun! You left from our airport!

Yikes about the barnstormer. I've never been on it, but I'm sure we'll ride it plenty with DS this year. The rougher the better, for him.

Those first haircut pictures are so cute! DS still hasn't gotten his first haircut, and we've talked about doing it at disney. Not sure if they'll believe us when we tell them it's his first and he'll be like, four. I mean, it's long, but it's not that long. The boy didn't grow any hair until he was about 2.5!

I've been debating about going back to the hotel for naps. Did you do it every day? We did when DS was 1.5, but I feel like I'd rather go back to the hotel to swim and let them nap in the park if they will.

Anyway, can't wait to read more!

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Great TR so far! I love that the baby had his first haircut at WDW!! SO sweet!
I'm so glad we did that!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #29
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
Glad to see you figured out the links! I'm loving your TR so far, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun! You left from our airport!

Yikes about the barnstormer. I've never been on it, but I'm sure we'll ride it plenty with DS this year. The rougher the better, for him.

Those first haircut pictures are so cute! DS still hasn't gotten his first haircut, and we've talked about doing it at disney. Not sure if they'll believe us when we tell them it's his first and he'll be like, four. I mean, it's long, but it's not that long. The boy didn't grow any hair until he was about 2.5!

I've been debating about going back to the hotel for naps. Did you do it every day? We did when DS was 1.5, but I feel like I'd rather go back to the hotel to swim and let them nap in the park if they will.

Anyway, can't wait to read more!
Yes, thank you for the tutorial! And your airport?! Where do you live? We're an hour south of Buffalo.

The Barnstormer really is fun. Madeleine ended up asking to ride it again the second to last day of our trip and went on it several times with me while Sam confidently rode alone. I think it was just a shock to them initially! It's much bigger than the typical amusement park kiddie coaster.

You should definitely do the first haircut for your DS if you have time! Our barber was great and it was such a fun experience! Matthew has been our only hair-challenged child. The other two had a lot of hair right away.

We didn't return to our rental house every day for naps, more like every other day. We went back the first day because the flight had been during naptime the day before but none of the kids slept (Matthew for about an hour) and we felt they'd need the break. The next two days we didn't go back for naps and then it was about every other day. We tried to do earlier bedtimes if they didn't nap. Matthew napped in the stroller on the days we stayed in the park, but it was never long enough for him. I felt like he could have used a long naptime at the house every day, but the other two didn't really need it. Sam only napped once during the trip and the other times would swim with us while the others slept (the rental house had a private pool which made this possible). When we did return to the house in the afternoon I felt like that was a nice break for all of us, but when we didn't I liked staying in the park and the fact that we didn't have all the reloading/re-entering hassles! The cons of leaving were most significant at the MK because of the extra step of the TTC. If the kids weren't so young I don't think I'd take the afternoon break unless we were there when the parks were open late at night. They did LOVE swimming though!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #30
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Lol I didn't realize I didn't have my location listed. We live in Amherst, right outside of buffalo. Probably 10-15 minutes to the airport.

"hair-challenged" Both of mine seem to fit this bill. DD has more hair than DS did, but she's still really bald. You only notice her hair because it's red. I think they did a great job with your DS's hair. Did you just get to explain how you wanted it done? DS wouldn't tolerate more than a trim, I'm sure. He gives me long lectures about how much he loves his curly hair (he has ringlets, it's beautiful!) and how his curly hair makes him who he is. He MAY have an identity crisis when we cut it, even just an inch or two! I told him, "sometimes people think you're a girl when you have long hair because they expect girls to have long hair." And he told me, "That's okay Mommy, it doesn't bother me." I guess if you're going to be a little hippie, you better be a self-confident one!

Well, if you can survive not going back for a nap every day with 3 little ones, I can definitely handle it with two.

Can't wait for more!

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: