Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #451
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Yay!! An update!!

Ahhh...that's too bad that you didn't make to Fantasyland....poor Ariana to be that close. But I remember how it rained when we went in August...UGH!! There was really nothing left to do but find some kind of shelter. I'm glad the Lego store cheered her up!!!

Love the picture of Demetri on the motorcycle....too cute!!!!

Your dinner at Wolfgang Puck's sounds like it was very yummy!!

Can't wait for more!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #452
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
Yum! Wolfgang was on our list for this upcoming time, and now it definitely will stay on!

Looks great!

That's depressing that you didn't get to get to Fantasyland - were you able to cheer Ariana up at the Lego Store though?

Thank you for updating!

(Sorry you didn't get to see Saratoga Springs - if only we had been a few days earlier, we might have run into each other!)
We felt sooo bad that we missed Fantasyland. After the Lego store she was much better but the odd, "I'm sorry Fantasyland!" (meaning, "I WANT Fantasyland!") would pop out as the night wrapped up.

Eventually we'll match up our trips... we'll just have to keep trying !
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #453
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Yay!! An update!!

Ahhh...that's too bad that you didn't make to Fantasyland....poor Ariana to be that close. But I remember how it rained when we went in August...UGH!! There was really nothing left to do but find some kind of shelter. I'm glad the Lego store cheered her up!!!

Love the picture of Demetri on the motorcycle....too cute!!!!

Your dinner at Wolfgang Puck's sounds like it was very yummy!!

Can't wait for more!!!
In the end our time in DTD was great and we had the fabulous dinner, but I'd been so looking forward to MK at night. All my plans went right out the window.

I love that pic of Demetri on the motorcycle! His godfather owns a Harley so it was kinda for him we took the picture too.

If you get the chance to go to Wolfgang's -- do it! Yummmmmm.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #454
Hallowishes
DIS Veteran

looks like you had a good time at blizzard beach till the weather got lousy! i LOVE BB and i finally got to go there this past september. the year before it was closed for refurb and id already been the Typhoon Lagoon several times! i love the racing slides so much!
glad you enjoyed wolfgang puck's! ive walked by it a zillion times but never tried it so i will make a point to do it next trip...
cant wait to hear more! youve got me hooked!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #455
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Tracy! So happy to see an update from you tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
After the Lego store she was much better but the odd, "I'm sorry Fantasyland!" (meaning, "I WANT Fantasyland!") would pop out as the night wrapped up.

Aww, poor baby! It's so very hard to switch gears like that. Thank goodness for the Lego Store!

Alex must've been thrilled to be off on his own for a bit! His brother and sister missed him, though... I could tell.

I will add WPC to my list of restaurants to try... it sounds wonderful!

Kathy
Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #456
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Its a bummer that the weather put a downer on your Fantasyland visit, but you got some great pics and those grey skies just do not look nice.

So you liked WP? Me and DF are contemplating trying out WPE for a quick bite to eat when we are shopping in DTD. The food looks good

Looking forward to your next update
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #457
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Bummer about Blizzard Beach having to close early. That's part of the reason why we ended up not going during our trip...we didn't want to get there and then have to leave if one of those summer storms all of a sudden popped up!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #458
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowishes View Post
looks like you had a good time at blizzard beach till the weather got lousy! i LOVE BB and i finally got to go there this past september. the year before it was closed for refurb and id already been the Typhoon Lagoon several times! i love the racing slides so much!
glad you enjoyed wolfgang puck's! ive walked by it a zillion times but never tried it so i will make a point to do it next trip...
cant wait to hear more! youve got me hooked!
I'm glad to hear you're hooked... I think I've lost a few readers with this, what.... SIX month long TR?! BB was definately a lot of fun, it was a good call to add the water park & more options to our tickets this time. I can't drool enough over Wolfgang Puck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hi Tracy! So happy to see an update from you tonight!

Aww, poor baby! It's so very hard to switch gears like that. Thank goodness for the Lego Store!

Alex must've been thrilled to be off on his own for a bit! His brother and sister missed him, though... I could tell.

I will add WPC to my list of restaurants to try... it sounds wonderful!

Kathy
Hi Kathy! .... I kept giving her hugs and apologizing to her most of the evening. We owe her some mucho Fantasyland time on our next trip for sure!

Alex loved that bit of independence.... I'm slooooowly learning to give him more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Its a bummer that the weather put a downer on your Fantasyland visit, but you got some great pics and those grey skies just do not look nice.

So you liked WP? Me and DF are contemplating trying out WPE for a quick bite to eat when we are shopping in DTD. The food looks good

Looking forward to your next update
Absolutely try it out. It very much lived up to its reputation.... my hubby is one of the pickiest eaters out there and he's still raving about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Bummer about Blizzard Beach having to close early. That's part of the reason why we ended up not going during our trip...we didn't want to get there and then have to leave if one of those summer storms all of a sudden popped up!
We got a lot done at BB so while it was too bad to cut the time short, it gave us a cool memory for the day!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #459
flamestarrdust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Our plan while George was taking the rental car to Wal-Mart for some room snackies, souvenirs and a stroller, was to have a picture scavenger hunt. I’d found one here on the DIS and selected 20 items from it I thought would be fun and easy enough for us to find and I put a map of the resort on the back of each list. We broke into partners, boys versus girls, and the rules were simple. Each team had a list and a camera and you had to find and take pictures of each partner with as many items as you could. The team back to the room in one hour with the most items found, wins!

With my hand on the door handle and the boys poised to run, I threw open the door and let them out first. Had to give them a small advantage didn’t I? George says I'm very competitive, bah! Just before they’d whispered to themselves where they were going first and when the door opened they shot right out without hesitation. Ariana and I, on the other hand, decided once we approached the stairs to stay on the third level and just boot around to the other side of the building where the bowling pin pool was. We took a lot of pics right from there and crossed off a whole lot of items right off the bat! I’d promised the boys I would take two pictures of everything, with and without Ariana, since she wasn’t going to be able to take pictures of me.

7. Each pool from an upper level balcony!

8. How many icon pictures can you get ?

From there we decided to hit the lobby where I knew at least three more items were located and we took a bunch more pictures in there.

12. How many shadow boxes in the lobby are there ?

2. What is Everything Pop ?

11. Find the refillable mugs !

Then we scooted out one of the back doors of the main building to more areas around the different sections.

6. Find Goofy and his red car !

3. Play a game of Twister 1

We hit the mother lode of icons to take pictures of in the 70's section.

And we ran into squirrels and bunnies, but no duckies.

14. Find a Bunny, Duck and Squirrel !

At this point, we were about half way thru our allotted time and we ran into Alex and Demetri. Alex said he didn’t have very many items crossed off and Demetri was wilting a bit in the sun. Demetri then officially became a member of the girls team so Alex could speed up his game and we continued on. Next item we ran into?

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST
Great TR! It is giving me lots of great ideas since we will be visiting around the same time this year. Where on the Dis did you get the picture scavenger hunt? I love that idea especially since it's my kids first time to visit and we don't plan on going into the parks on the day we arrive. It seems like your family had a lot of fun doing that. Thanks in advance for the info.

AUGUST 2010 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post38036065
AUGUST 2010 PTR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36865082
JULY 4th 2006 Cali Grill Event! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157941[/SIZE][[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #460
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestarrdust View Post
Great TR! It is giving me lots of great ideas since we will be visiting around the same time this year. Where on the Dis did you get the picture scavenger hunt? I love that idea especially since it's my kids first time to visit and we don't plan on going into the parks on the day we arrive. It seems like your family had a lot of fun doing that. Thanks in advance for the info.
Well hi and to my TR! We had a great time doing the scavenger hunt, it was the perfect way to explore the resort and take it easy on our first day.

I picked my items from this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2264 and then I just listed them on one side with a map of the resort on the back.

Thanks for reading along!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #461
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone and happy belated Valentine's Day! I have my next update all typed up and ready to go, I'm just waiting for a video to finish uploading to photobucket. Man it's slow.

In the meantime, some news. George and I had a few heart to heart talks over the last few days regarding our finances. We have a very old Victorian home and it has a dirt basement. George has been itching for years to have it dug down (you have to crouch to go in it) and have it turned into liveable space. Alex is a growing teenager and there's no doubt it would be the perfect space for him to retreat to. Along with finishing the basement though, would be a revamp of our kitchen - right now access is in there through a trap door. Big job, so we needed to figure out if we were going to take the plunge on the renos and if that meant postponing the December trip.

Also to take into consideration was my promotion (I got another one, yay me! ), the pay raise that went with it, another pay raise I've been promised in the summer, and George's job security.

So, what do you think won out? The renos or the vacation?

Trick question ---- both!! We've decided to break the renos down into stages and for now, just dig out the basement. So December 2010 is a definate go and then we wouldn't go back again until the new Fantasyland is done in 2012. George is on board for that and says for the year in between we'll get annual passes for Canada's Wonderland, a huge theme and water park close to our home.

So my first decision after confirming once and for all the trip is on? Where to stay of course! Unless things change and it's just four of us going, we'll be staying at............. Port Orleans Riverside!

We've stayed at POR once before and it was absolutely beautiful. There's a lot we missed though so I'm anxious to see it again.

Last edited by Mickey_Mom; 02-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #462
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

That's great! I'm glad you get to do both things, you're very lucky!

When are you going to book?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #463
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

When we started off this morning, our eighth day in the happiest place on Earth, we were headed off to a quick morning at Blizzard Beach to make up for the storm cutting our visit short the day before, and then off to our regularly scheduled programming of our second day at Epcot. We had early dinner reservations at Le Cellier for 4:10pm and were really looking forward to going!

Once again we had a respectably lazy start to our morning and caught the Blizzard Beach bus at 9:30am.

Our day at Blizzard Beach was once again a tremendous amount of fun. We did everything we wanted to do, there were no storms chasing us away, the weather was perfect and George and I spent the last hour before heading out sitting on lovely sun chairs with our feet lapping in the water watching the kids play in the water. Perfect! We gave ourselves plenty of time to gather our things together, wave goodbye to everything around us and slowly make our way out of the park to the bus area. I saw the Mine, Mine Mine! Nemo seagull t-shirt again – man, I still can’t believe I didn’t get that, but you will be mine t-shirt. Oh yes you will.

We headed back to Pop and quickly got ready for an afternoon and evening at Epcot. We had about an hour before our Le Cellier time as we headed back to the bus areas.

Our game plan when deciding when to leave Blizzard Beach was to arrive at Epcot and skip everything else to just go straight to dinner. Then we’d figure out the rest of the night as we went along. So we slowly strolled toward the World Showcase and stopped to say hello to a turtle before he ducked back underneath the bridge.

A few scenery shots along the way….

…and we stopped again to talk to the duckies.

We arrived at the Canada pavilion and still had plenty of time to explore. While we’ve been to Le Cellier before, we’d never looked at anything else before!

I was curious to see what was for sale in the Canadian shop – what was considered Canadian?

Ok, sure I guess.

NOW we're talking!

It was actually a quite small store and we had a hoot looking over everything. When we got to the cash register, there was a sign that was a “Canadian Quiz” and half extremely confident, half in fear we’d embarrass ourselves, decided to take the quiz. I’m proud to say we aced the quiz (whew!) and have the Certificate to prove it!

A bit more exploring…

… and it was time for one last obligatory picture!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #464
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

We checked in 5 minutes early….

… and were seated 10 minutes past our ressie time but were entertained while we were waiting by two things. The first were our park maps. The kids were kept busy deciding what we were going to do after dinner. It was really busy in the waiting area and there were no spots left to sit, so George and I tucked ourselves into a corner while the kids just plunked down in front of us.

The second thing that kept us entertained was a woman who was desperately trying to talk her way into a seating with the front desk. We tried not to overhear toooooo much, but it seems her trip was a last minute thing and although she was surprised when she called for dinner reservations two months ago that there was a time available, she reserved it. She said she confirmed it again a week before coming but left her confirmation numbers back in her room. Trouble was, they couldn’t find her in the reservation system and they had absolutely no room to seat her. George and I played a little game with ourselves if she was convincing or not, and if she was, would they actually seat her. Just before our name was called, she’d told her story again to the manager who was trying very politely to explain there were no reservations for her and they simply had no tables available for the rest of the evening. In the end, we were left with the impression that there was no reservation and she was just trying to talk her way in, but who knows? We looked for her periodically throughout dinner but never saw her.

Speaking of dinner…..

Check out all those empty tables!!! Isn’t the ambiance here just so cool? Love the effect of the candles in the mirror. It did fill up as we were eating dinner. They really need to expand Le Cellier. It must be at least four times the amount of people who can’t get a reservation to the lucky ones that do – everyday.

We had a kinda kiddy corner thing going on at our table, with George and I sharing one side while the kids were spaced out around us. I liked where we were though because the positioning of our table left a bit of room all around us. It can get crowded in there but we didn’t feel squished.

George, Alex and I all got the Mushroom Filet Mignon with the risotto, Ariana the cheese pizza and Demetri the beef macaroni. George kinda rolls his eyes at me when I take food pictures so I snuck this one of his as he’d stepped to the little boys room!

We had such a relaxing dinner and our server was absolutely wonderful. We didn’t feel rushed and she wasn’t the least bit irritated during any of Demetri’s chatter. She was quite entertained by him and took the time to answer all of his questions and ask him a few of her own. All finished up, we headed out for some more leisurely strolling.

The first ride the kids wanted to tackle after dinner was Test Track. Unfortunately, my Blizzard Beach injury was making it pretty tough to walk, it’d been getting pretty sore throughout dinner, so I sat this one out while George went with the kids. Quality Daddy time!

We headed back towards and around Spaceship Earth. I like this picture with the monorail just peaking out.

I didn’t take any pictures this time of our ride on Spaceship Earth. Just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I did however, miss the postcard pic at the end, again!

We headed over to Soarin and saluted Puddy before gliding over California once again. Next was another round with Nemo…

… and we hurried over to see the Turtle Talk with Crush schedule. We’d missed it on our first Epcot day but this time we lucked out and a show was coming right up. We visited first with Mr. Ray and then settled ourselves into the room to visit with Crush.

We happened to be the last family in and Demetri got a nice corner seated spot, very close to the CM who assisted Crush talking with the kids. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but…. Crush talked to Demetri!! It was a very funny conversation and a little kid kept answering for Demetri sometimes but it was actually quite funny and Crush always came back to talk to Demetri. And then Crush asked who brought him, and he talked a teeny bit with me too…… (Demetri is wearing the green shirt)

So much fun! Demetri was pumped the rest of the night! After Crush, we headed over to visit with an old friend…

… and slowly made our way back towards the main gates. We opted to forgo Illuminations this time to avoid the crowds and while Ariana wasn’t pleased with this decision she didn’t protest too much so we knew she was tired too. We did pause to watch the fountains sing and dance…

….and once again Ariana played with the pixie dust.

One last picture on our way out….

….and it was time once again to head home to the Pop. An early night, it was only 9pm, but once again we’d had a fabulous day!

Our favorites and not-so-favorite moments of the day:

ALEX:
Le Cellier
Nothing!

ARIANA:
Le Cellier
Missing Illuminations

DEMETRI:
Test Track with Daddy!
Nothing!

Next up: Just how many times can you ride Toy Story Mania in one day??
Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #465
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post

That's great! I'm glad you get to do both things, you're very lucky!

When are you going to book?
I'm hoping this week.

I feel lucky for sure. We waited so long before ever taking a vacation that it feels odd now not taking one. George and Alex still come out with the odd "where else can we go" question but always come back to Disney.

Oooo and Alex is really wanting to see Remy so it looks like Chefs de France is in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: