Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

A thread like this should have a picture to go along with it, so here's the Pineapple Float:

DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

DH adores the pineapple float. To me the whips are just . . . ice cream. I had a vanilla whip for the first time at NYE . . . it was good, but not "drool-worthy."

I think the general consensus is to try one though!

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
dtaylor98
Mouseketeer

We love the floats.
dtaylor98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

Mmmmm.....Pineapple Float...one of my favorite treats at WDW!!!!!
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
DreamingOfTheMouse
Earning My Ears

I liked the pineapple vanilla swirl. Tried the float once, and thought it was too much sweet/pineapple. Possibly there was too much build up becuase nothing at Aloha Isle lived up to my expectations.

Many trips as a child.

2000 BWV, 2005 BWV, 2009 ASSports, 2010 BCV
DreamingOfTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

OP, no harm in trying one! I love them, DH can take them or leave them (which means, when I ask him if he wants one while I'm ordering he says "no", but still eats half of mine ). I will advise that while I loved the Dole Whip, I agree that the Dole Float took me to the moon and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
I am in love with the Pineapple Float (called a Dole Whip Float on here, but the menu says Pineapple Float. I confused a CM asking for a dole whip float, so I took a good look at the menu)
Something very similar happened to me. I had read all about the Dole Whips here on the board, so our first trip after that I marched right up and asked for a Dole Whip. She said, "a what?"

And because I hadn't learned my lesson, the next day I went to AI and asked if you could get a Dole Whip with a vanilla swirl. The lady looked all kinds of confused (different lady) and said, "you mean you want a vanilla ice cream?" So now I know...don't say Dole Whip, don't say Dole Float, say "Pineapple _____."

I have noticed multiple times people joining in on an "I love Dole Whip" thread agreeing how great they are, how much they love their Vanilla Dole Whip....and they don't mean a pineapple-vanilla swirl. I often wonder if they ever realized most people are specifically talking about the pineapple version, so on reading here and elsewhere about the "great Dole Whips" made a point to stop in for one...and not knowing, just ordered what they always do (vanilla/chocolate).
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
mousebit
DIS Veteran

The first time I tried a "Dole Whip Float" after hearing all the hype about em here on the boards i kinda thought ehh. Didn't care for the pineapple swirl. Tossed it after a couple bites/slurps.

Then last trip I decided to try again and got the vanilla swirl with pineapple juice AND a pineapple spear! Dipped the pineapple into the swirl! Slurped up the juice Heaven!

mousebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
Something very similar happened to me. I had read all about the Dole Whips here on the board, so our first trip after that I marched right up and asked for a Dole Whip. She said, "a what?"

And because I hadn't learned my lesson, the next day I went to AI and asked if you could get a Dole Whip with a vanilla swirl. The lady looked all kinds of confused (different lady) and said, "you mean you want a vanilla ice cream?" So now I know...don't say Dole Whip, don't say Dole Float, say "Pineapple _____."

I have noticed multiple times people joining in on an "I love Dole Whip" thread agreeing how great they are, how much they love their Vanilla Dole Whip....and they don't mean a pineapple-vanilla swirl. I often wonder if they ever realized most people are specifically talking about the pineapple version, so on reading here and elsewhere about the "great Dole Whips" made a point to stop in for one...and not knowing, just ordered what they always do (vanilla/chocolate).
Sounds like my husband's first trip to pick up Floats for us while we were waiting for Spectro. I'd always ordered them with no problem, but when talking to him I used the dis patented "Dole Whip" to reference my Dole Whip Floats/Pineapple Float.

He was handed every imaginable flavor of just plain soft serve. Asked the CM where the pineapple juice was, and the CM knew right away. Apparently internet slang has caused much confusion for many patrons.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
scrapbooksellman
Mouseketeer

Question Where?

Can you only get them in MK?
scrapbooksellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
Can you only get them in MK?

Floats are only available in the MK

The soft serve is available in the MK and Captain Cook's at the Polynesian.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

I love the Pineapple Dole Whip floats at MK. I may actually try the pineapple/vanilla swirl with pineapple juice this June instead of pineapple/pineapple.
If any of you that like the pineapple Dole Whip ever go to Oahu, Hawaii... the pineapple Dole Whips at the Dole plantation are even better than the ones at MK. And they are building the DVC resort on Oahu that will be opening soon... so you can get some Disney magic there, also!
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #27
colinsdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyIsMyFave View Post
DH adores the pineapple float. To me the whips are just . . . ice cream. I had a vanilla whip for the first time at NYE . . . it was good, but not "drool-worthy."

I think the general consensus is to try one though!
I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but did you have a vanilla/pineapple swirl?

Because if you had a "vanilla whip", wouldn't that be just.....ice cream?
My Disney Life Timeline - '73 CR 1st trip 3y/o, '74 Poly, '75 CR, '76 Disneyland, '77-80 (Offsite), '83 DWV, '85 '89 '91 (offsite), May '92 FWR, Mar '97 (BlueTree), Nov '97 (Westgate Lakes), Dec '98 Xmas @ OKW, Jan '00 Disneyland Paris, Sept '01 Trip Cancelled due to 9/11 God Bless America!, Oct '01 Disneyland, Oct '02 (Marriott Grande Vista), Nov '03 (Mystic Dunes), Sept '04 (Sheraton Vistana), May '05 All Star Sports, Nov '05 Disney's HHI, Jan '06 OKW, Oct '06 (Marriott Cypress Harbor), Oct '07 POP, Sept '08 BWV, May '09 VWL, Aug '09 BCV, Aug '10 (Marriott Sabal Palms), Mar '12 (Swan), Oct '13 (Marriott Grande Vista)
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
0hLovely
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugnmama View Post
putting my flame suit on I tried them last trip after all the hype but I wouldn't buy one again. to each is own
Same here.. i personally enjoyed drinking the pineapple juice more than the ice cream. DH on the other hand looooooves them! I'd rather use my snack credit on something else

ME: (25) DH: (26) DD7:

Aug 2004 - WL - My First Visit
Aug 2007 - POFQ - Engagement Trip

Dec 2008 - SSR - Disneymoon

Mar 2010 - POP - DD7 Surprise Birthday/First visit!

0hLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #29
sters
Enjoys visiting resorts at WDW
Likes the idea of getting the boat with a catered dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidmoms View Post
I am what seems one of the few who think Dole Whips are disgusting. I think it is purely a matter of taste. I thought it was a bit bitter and not a pleasant sweet pineapple taste that I was hoping for.

My children had the citrus swirls and loved them but I thought they tasted exactly like St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin from the '70s that my mom used to give us when we were sick.

I am glad I tried one but there is no way I am doing that again.
I, too, was underwhelmed, especially after all they hype on this board! Still, I tried it and glad I did, so I can now cross it off my list.
sters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
ubermama
Mouseketeer

We've eaten the Dole Whip right at the Dole Plantation in Hawaii and to discover that delicious whip was magnificent. It is very yummy and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. In one more month we will be there and getting a Dole Whip is a must.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: