Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #31
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

you know I thought I hated tequila (after an unfortunate occurrence in college), but after visiting the ditch in November, I am a convert.

I just thought the whole concept of the tequila bar was so well executed and really is a little oasis in Epcot. And I thought the food was tops, too!

Thanks for the review!

Jennifer
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #32
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybolshoi View Post
Great review of the Ditch ... it brings back such good memories.
Thanks! I'm so ready to go back and try a different margarita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I don't remember the name of the program

It was something about America's best Steakhouses. And I'm pretty sure it was on the Travel Channel.
Thanks anyways. I bet I could find it knowing that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druidcat View Post
Can't wait to read more!
Glad you like my DR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
i'm jumping in!
Welcome and thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodleygrrl View Post
you know I thought I hated tequila (after an unfortunate occurrence in college), but after visiting the ditch in November, I am a convert.

I just thought the whole concept of the tequila bar was so well executed and really is a little oasis in Epcot. And I thought the food was tops, too!

Thanks for the review!

Jennifer
Haha, a lot of my friends hate Tequila but I think that's probably because they haven't taken the time to enjoy it for anything other than getting hammered.
The Ditch is such a cute little place, I can't wait to go back!
Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #33
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

mmmmm, that margarita sounds fantastic! I've already decided I need a bigger alcohol budget next time I go to WDW
Giselle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to try one (or 4) of the margaritas in Mexico!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #35
cbg1027

Dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh

After our lunch at La Cava, we managed to tour, er...stumble, our way around the WS before our 5pm dinner ADR at Restaurant Marrakesh.

We checked in right at 5 and the host said "Yes, 2 for the Candlelight Processional package?"

For a brief moment I actually considered saying, why yes, that's us! But I definitely did NOT book that, just dinner! My conscience quickly took over and I said we just had dinner reservations. The host then INSISTED we had the CP package! I told him we did not book that, and didn't want to take someone else's spot. He looked at the computer again and finally found our real reservation.

We were shown to our table right away. The belly dancer was just finishing up a routine as we were seated so I was a bit dissapointed that we would miss the show.

According to the check, our server was Zakaria, but really, there seemed to be several of them throughout our meal. Team effort, I suppose? I will say that it worked, and we were never waiting for drinks to be filled, or having trouble getting anything we wanted. All of the CM's in the restaurant were very friendly and always smiling.

Mark, of course, had to have something with alchohol. So he ordered a glass of Moroccan Red Wine. I'm not sure what it was called as the receipt says "Amazir Mtir" and the wine list isn't available on the Disney website along with the menu.

They serve a pieces of foccacia-shaped bread in Restaurant Marrakesh. It looks like the same stuff they serve at the counter service, Tangierine Cafe. It's just a basic white bread...not much to it, nothing special.

Neither Mark or I felt like appetizers so we went straight to entrees.

I knew whatever I was going to order had to involve couscous, so I settled on the Roast Lamb Meshoui.

This was a large Lamb Shank served with couscous and assorted vegetables. There was some sort of sauce on the lamb, but I would have preferred more of it to mix with the couscous. The lamb itself had a nice flavor, but it was somewhat of a greasy meat (like dark meat chicken as opposed to white). I enjoyed it, but some people might not be in to that. The vegetables were cooked nicely, not over or underdone. A decent dish overall, but I would try something else next time.

Mark had a Lamb Shank dish that was a special, so I don't know the exact name.

The lamb and sauce was exactly what my dish was like. But the special came with an eggplant...goop. It was like a baba ganoush, but with a TON of raw garlic. I love garlic, but I couldn't eat more than few bites of this stuff. It was sooooo strong. I think it would have been really good if they cut back on the garlic some. Mark didn't even try it. All he looks at when ordering an entree is the meat. I don't think he even considers the accompaniments 95% of the time. What can I say, he's definitely a meat and potatoes guy.

I knew I definitely wanted the Moroccan Symphony dessert, which is an assortment of baklavas. Mark agreed he would split it with me, so we ordered one of those, and Mark got another glass of the same wine to go with dessert.

I decided to try the Mint Tea for some reason. I don't drink a lot of tea because living in Florida, I don't feel like having hot beverages very often. But I was very glad I did, because it was fantastic! The presentation is entertaining too. They come out with a small glass on a saucer, with a few mint leaves in it. The server has a large silver tea pot and takes the glass and saucer in the other and pours the tea in to the glass. As he is pouring, he draws his hands farther and farther apart. Kinda cool. The tea is described on the menu as a green tea, but it tasted a lot different than the green teas I've had before. It was very good though, and I liked this version better.
You can see Mark's wine in this photo of the tea:

I somehow missed getting a photo of our Baklava. There were 3, two-bite sized tiny pieces, and I thought it was quite skimpy for $6.95. It was good Baklava, but nothing special. Mark was definitely diggin' his wine more than the Baklava. He's not that big on really sweet stuff, and Baklava is like, half honey. Fortunate for me, though (see DR title!).

While we were having our dessert, the belly dancer came out for another set. The music is provided by a couple of live musicians. It seems she comes out about every 45 minutes, so you should catch her unless you eat really fast! Part of the time that she's not performing, the musicians are playing.

That was the view from my seat, but I had to turn completely around to see her.

The restaurant itself is really pretty. I love the tile mosaic work inside. If it weren't for all the tourists, it would really seem like you're in another country!

Overall, I thought Marrakesh was a decent eat. I would have no problem returning, but it's not on the top of my list. I want to try other places I haven't been to first. If you can't get in to Le Cellier, Restaurant Marrakesh is a decent second choice. I'm giving it a rating of 6.5.

Next installment: Breakfast in the End Zone Food Court at All Star Sports.

Last edited by cbg1027; 01-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #36
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Thanks for the reviews! I'm looking forward to the rest - you listed some I'm eager to hear your opinion of!
mandibc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09

MiaBella05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #38
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandibc11 View Post
Thanks for the reviews! I'm looking forward to the rest - you listed some I'm eager to hear your opinion of!
I think you'll like what I have to say for most of them! It was a very good trip in the food department!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in
Welcome to my DR! Thanks for joining!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #39
goldielocksraj
Anxiously awaiting deluxe birthday trip!

Mmmmm, thanks for all the yummy reviews so far!

I am soooo jealous that you got to go to Bern's. I live closeby (Clearwater area) and I am a MAJOR carnivore and have not gone yet!

Looking forward to more dining reviews!!!!

I've been waiting almost thirty years for this trip! December 2010 PTR

First property stay 1/1-1/2/2010 POP Century
goldielocksraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #40
Redwitch
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your Disney Reviews. I am so going to "The Ditch" in May. Please tell me they have some wine so I can keep DD quiet while I enjoy "one ta-kill-ya, two ta-kill-ya, three ta-kill-ya..."

As for Bern's Steakhouse - would it be weird to plan a trip around a restaurant? That looks like one of the most amazing places I've ever seen! DD and I have already viewed and bookmarked their web site!

RedWitch Mikka (DD) Ebony RIP Amber Khan Tora Raion

Redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #41
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielocksraj View Post

Mmmmm, thanks for all the yummy reviews so far!

I am soooo jealous that you got to go to Bern's. I live closeby (Clearwater area) and I am a MAJOR carnivore and have not gone yet!

Looking forward to more dining reviews!!!!
Glad you enjoy my reviews!

OMG you have to get to Bern's soon! It's no more expensive than dining at a Signature at Disney, and the steak quality is a lot better. My 7oz steak with soup, salad, potato, onion rings, and veggies was $33! The filets at the Signatures are about $40 and only have 1 side item!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwitch View Post
I'm enjoying your Disney Reviews. I am so going to "The Ditch" in May. Please tell me they have some wine so I can keep DD quiet while I enjoy "one ta-kill-ya, two ta-kill-ya, three ta-kill-ya..."

As for Bern's Steakhouse - would it be weird to plan a trip around a restaurant? That looks like one of the most amazing places I've ever seen! DD and I have already viewed and bookmarked their web site!
Sorry, no wine at The Ditch. Lots of tequila and a few beers.

I don't think it would be weird to plan a trip around a meal! My friend Mark that went with us is talking about flying in to Tampa one weekend just so we can all go to Bern's again!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #42
cbg1027

End Zone Food Court Breakfast

On our first full day at Disney, we had breakfast at our resort - All Star Sport's End Zone Food Court.

Mark and I both ordered croissant sandwiches. Normally they come with egg, cheese, and bacon, but I had them omit the bacon from mine.

This was probably the poorest meal of the trip. I was expected more of an egg patty, not scrambled egg that falls out as you try to eat the sandwich. It was the regular scrambled eggs you get on the platters - so the quality isn't great, and the temperature is usually slightly warm at best. The cheese was a processed "cheese product' type of deal. The croissant was the only passable part of the equation. Frankly, I like McDonald's breakfast items better that that sandwich!

Mark had a 'Nescrappe' coffee, which he seems to find passable. I don't drink straight coffee so I've never had it. I had an OJ with my sandwich. It was just the standard Minute Made, from concentrate that's all over Disney. Blech.

It was more of a meal for fuel than an enjoyable dining event.

I'll rate it a 3 out of 10.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #43
cbg1027

Lunchtime at AK - Yak and Yeti

We went to AK on 12/13. My last trip I had tried Yak and Yeti for the first time and loved it. That trip happened after our ADR booking window opened for the December trip, so when I tried to add Yak and Yeti, they were all booked up!

So, not one to take no for an answer, I had to idea of trying to walk up at 11am when they opened. It worked! We were seated right away.

I had an incredibly hard time deciding what to order. I loved everything that I had eaten last time, but wanted to try new things at the same time.

Mark ordered a glass of Plum Wine. I was wondering why he did that since he doesn't like sweet wine, but I didn't say anything. I guess I should have, because he didn't realize Plum wine is sweet. So for once, Mark did not finish a glass of alcohol!

I finally got Mark to agree to splitting an appetizer order of Pork Egg Rolls to start.

Normally these come with a chili-plum dipping sauce, but I asked for the sweet Thai chili sauce served with the Wok Fried Green Beans instead.

The eggs rolls were good, but not quite as good as the last time due to their increased greasiness. They were still tasty and I ate all of my share of the dish.

For an entree, Mark ordered the Seared Miso Salmon - miso glazed Atlantic salmon, jasmine rice, baby bok choy and shiitake mushroom stir-fry.

I tasted most of Mark's food over the trip, in the name of research of course.
This was very good salmon. It was moist, flaky, and flavorful. The top had a slight crust and the glaze was yummy. Mark really liked it and devoured the fish, but left the rice and veggies untouched, as usual.

For my entree, I finally settled on the Lettuce Cups with minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, and a maple tamarind sauce.

The lettuce was good, fresh and crispy. It was a little hard to wrap since it was iceberg and didn't really have much flexibility, so this was kind of a messy dish to eat. The chicken was a tad overcooked, but tasted good. There were bean sprouts, carrots, and some cilantro to add to the cups. After assembling everything with some of the maple tamarind sauce, the whole concoction was quite tasty. I was feeling like something with some veggies and a crunch, so this fit the bill very well.

Although I was pretty full, Mark was actually feeling dessert for once, so who am I to say no to sweets? I am the dessert fiend of the review, after all!

We went with the Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, and a honey vanilla drizzle.

These were good, but not what I was expecting. From the description, I was thinking there would be cream cheese and pineapple INSIDE the wontons. The pineapple was in chunks on the skewers, and the inside of the wonton was just plain cream cheese. It didn't really hit the spot for me, so I ate a few bites and left the rest for Mark.

They do NOT take TIW at Yak and Yeti, I suppose because it's not owned by Disney. But they will give you a 10% Passholder discount, so it was nice to see that on the bill at least.

Although this visit to Yak and Yeti wasn't quite as impressive as my first time, it's still somewhere I now get cravings for and want to return to! I rated it an 8 last time, and it's fallen to a 7 now, but I will definitely be returning. I'll just be skipping dessert and having more Wok Fried Green Beans!

Coming up next: a DIS Meet, a Culinary Tour, and Boma!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #45
goldielocksraj
Anxiously awaiting deluxe birthday trip!

Ooohhh, that food at Yak & Yeti looks sooo good, it almost makes me want to go to AK. (Never been, not interested except for the food. Hubby is a major animal lover so for our December trip I've been telling him that all of the animal are animatronic! )

Wow, the prices at Bern's are good! We still don't have Valentine's plans yet, so maybe this weekend (if we can still get a reservation!). Or, at least soon.

I've been waiting almost thirty years for this trip! December 2010 PTR

First property stay 1/1-1/2/2010 POP Century
goldielocksraj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: