Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #136
aharbin88
DIS Veteran

I love your room! I wish VWL had Grand Villas, because that would be the first place I would want to stay during our Christmas trip this year. I think WL is on top of everyone's Christmas trip wish list!

How great is it that you knew to bring a sound machine! Thank goodness for the DIS!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #137
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
You're welcome, Katie! I was thinking about booking a standard room but now I'm not so sure! YIKES! What do you suggest?! We're trying to save some money since this will be trip #2 in 2010!!
Well, if we dont book the concierge with my in-laws, we will most likely get a woods view. Run the prices and it really is not that much more in relation to the Standard. I am hoping for another pin code or Free Dining to make the extra pricing worth it. However, I would LOVE to stay in a Standard Room that overlooked the lobby (I think one of your DIS friends wrote about it). That would be the only way that I would do Standard again. The whole lobby area is the central/buzzing area of the Resort and when you look down from your floor, it is amazing. The reason that most of the Standards are not in the best place is that there simply are not that many Standard rooms!! So, the ones that look over the lobby are most wanted. I will send the WL thread your way that I read. I am sure you already saw it, though HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Great update Katie!

So glad you were able to see Wishes from the room. That would definitely be a nice touch, especially when you weren't necessarily counting on it!

What an amazing idea you had to bring that noise machine. Can you imagine how that would have affected your trip otherwise??? I would not have had the foresight to bring a noise machine and would have been down to the front desk begging to be transferred to a Pool View or Lobby View so fast, and willing to pay whatever they charged me to do it!

Can't wait to hear about your next day!
You know, I did not even think about complaining!! When I saw your post, I almost got mad at myself b/c I am sure we would have been upgraded in a heartbeat since not many people were there!! I will need to remind myself to do that if I am unhappy in the future. The sound machine is the ONLY way we survived!!! I had read on a thread that the noise was an issue in some Standard rooms, but we like to sleep/travel with a noise machine anyway! Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyisBeast View Post
Joining in! Can't wait for another update(:
Welcome!!! Thank you so much for reading! I hope to have another update soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4blessings View Post
Hi Katie! If you don't mind my asking....what white noise machine do you have? I have been thinking about getting one for the boys room, but wasn't sure which one to get. And it would definitly help when we go to disney and our time share in Florida where early morning noises wake my kids. My kids are normally early to bed and early risers, but on vacation the late nights certainly take their toll when they don't catch up on their sleep in the am!

Katie, my daughter has always fallen asleep to the music from Cinderella on her cd player in her room, so when we travel she uses my ipod to help her to sleep. But I'd like something to run the whole night and block out the outside noises. Good idea Katie!

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your rubbermaid boxes! I might have to steal that idea for our trip!
Thank you so much!!! I loved the boxes too. I hope to do an update on how they worked for me!

Our sound machine is called "Sleep Mate". My Dad bought it for me because it is very small and easy to travel with, but also really powerful and loud. You can adjust the sound higher or lower. We LOVE it! My kids are the same way (especially my DD). She has trouble sleeping at Resorts b/c she hears people talking, or trucks beeping in this case, and gets excited. IT was a life saver!! Great idea about the cindy music, too. They had an ipod dock next to the bed at the WL! Also, I have a DIS friend (staci) that programs an alarm clock to wake them to different Disney songs each morning while they are at WDW. Great idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
All caught up! Great TR! We were there Jan 12-19th so we overlapped a few days!
I love that y'all rode IASW first!! I've been riding it first since I was 6! Great choice. It always puts me in the Disney mood.

Love the room pics and how awesome is it that you can see Wishes from your room!!

We always sleep with a white noise machine. I can't sleep without one. Boy do they come in handy for hotels!

at how organized you were! I thought I was doing good. Rubbermaid boxes rock!

Can't wait for the next update!
Dont you just love sound machines? We travel EVERYWHERE with them and sleep at home with them too. Lifesavers!

Thank you so much for the compliment! I hope to do an update on the boxes/packing ideas that worked and did not work for me.

We got so lucky with the Wishes!!! It made up for being over the trucks for sure! Thanks so much for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Another great update - your room looks nice! I've often thought WL looked so cozy and welcoming - I'm glad to hear you felt the same!

And missy, you are prepared, with that noise machine and everything - way to go! That is such a great idea!
HAHA thanks Katie!! I have to thank DIS for the info on the noise before we got there!

The WL was AMAZING during the Winter. It is our families favorite place in the world now!! Cant wait to go back in Dec!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
I LOVE your pictures of Wishes from your room!
THANK YOU! It was a great surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharbin88 View Post
I love your room! I wish VWL had Grand Villas, because that would be the first place I would want to stay during our Christmas trip this year. I think WL is on top of everyone's Christmas trip wish list!

How great is it that you knew to bring a sound machine! Thank goodness for the DIS!
We are thinking of staying in the WL Villas on our December trip with our family. Have you ever stayed there? Either that or the concierge Junior Suites.

When are you going to WDW in December?? We will most likely be there Dec 12-16, but are keeping Thanksgiving and we week after open as well.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #138
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Hi Katie!! Wow--what amazing updates!! I missed so much, but I'm finally all caught up! Let's see if I remember everything I want to comment on...

First of all OH MY. The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous!!! It really reminds me a lot of AKL (with the railings showing in the lobby and the sink in your room and things like that). I can't wait to visit it next time.

That's so sweet that the CM let your daughter have a pin right after you got there! What a great start.

YAYAYAYAY!! I'm so excited that the Christmas decorations were still up for you! They are just gorgeous. I am determined to see them someday. And it probably helped the fact that it was so cold because you could look around and still feel like it was Christmas.

AW--I bet your son and those ladies Polka dancing was just adorable! I love how everyone is just so friendly at WDW. And Polka Dancing makes me think of Steve Urkle

I can't believe it was so cold in Florida! I mean, I expect it here (we've had snow/ice twice this winter already and temps below freezing) but not in Florida! It's supposed to be sunny! I hope it warms up for your family. But your blanket is super cute--I'm glad you thought to buy it!

Sorry about the loading docks. That really stinks. It's a good thing you were prepared with the sound maker! And Woo-Hoo for being able to see Wishes from your room! That's so great.

WONDERFUL start to your report!! I can't wait to read about the rest of the days! It looks like your family is going to have the greatest time ever.

Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #139
BellaSoleil
Mommy of Belle~ Wife of Goofy

Great start! I'm so glad that you guys loved WL. Isn't the boatride to MK a nice treat? Can't wait to read more.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #140
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

We got up bright and early the following morning, excited to head out to Epcot!! This park is one of our favorites!!

The kids were in good moods and we enjoyed a quick breakfast of pop tarts and bagels in the room. However, despite waking up early, we still left the room at 9:00! I guess we were still pretty tired from the ride up.

On the way to the bus stop, we took a picture on the kid’s favorite bridge in the lobby. Of course, we could not resist throwing MORE coins in the water!! If you stay at the WL with kids, bring a large ziplock full of pennies

I was hoping that the weather would be a little bit warmer than the day before. When we got outside, it was still FREEZING! I watched the news the night before, and it was anticipating the afternoon to be warmer, so I was praying it would be.

**I wanted to post a picture of my DD wearing a Minnie Mouse clip that my friend Becky (ladybugmom) made for me. I loved that the clip helped make her fleece hat a little more girly while we still had to bundle up!**

After a 5 minute wait, we were off to Epcot! Well, not before making a stop at Fort Wilderness to pick up other guests, but it was only about a 5 minute detour.

Before I left for the trip, I downloaded a few Disney World apps on my iPhone. One of my absolute favorite ones that saved us SOOO much time was the Ride Wait Time app. Since it was close to 9:30 at this point, I was a little concerned that we would not make it to Soarin in time. Imagine my surprise when I saw this!

Awesome!!!

We arrived at Epcot, took a photopass pic in front of “the ball”, and rented the stroller.

Now…off to ride Soarin! A family first

On the way to Soarin, my DH was pushing the kids in the stroller that we just rented. All of a sudden, the stroller came to a hault and my DH looked confused, like he did not stop it himself. Then, we heard my son, Aiden, crying

I ran to the front of the stroller and noticed that he had slid down the seat and tried to get out of the stroller (which is not like him AT ALL) and his leg was stuck under the stroller, between the wheel!!! My DH and I were SO nervous. After checking him out very well, we determined that he was ok. He did not cry for long at all and could walk on it. We decided that we would watch him closely to make sure nothing was wrong. He ended up being just fine, but it was a horrible experience for us!!! I guess in the hurry of trying to make it to Soarin, neither one of us buckled him in. He normally does FINE with no buckle (he is 2), but we buckled him the rest of the time FOR SURE after this.

When we arrived, there was about a 5 minute wait. My DH decided to take my son to Sunshine Seasons for a snack while my DD and I rode. We fastpassed so that he could ride with her later in the day. Soon, I was walking hand and hand with my DD into the blue hallways of Soarin!

***Sorry---NO pics of Soarin!!! I had my hubby hold the camera and my purse while we rode ***

While waiting to ride, we struck up a conversation with a nice lady and her daughter. She kept telling me how she was afraid of heights and to fly, but that she forces herself to get on the ride each visit. I am NOT a good flier myself, so I was SO nervous at this point. We got put in our lines (we were on the 1st row!!), watched the movie and listened to the CM’s speech. At this point, my hands were sweating and my heart was pounding, but I was really excited at the same time. We got allowed to go find our seats and I checked my DD’s buckle…about 10 times I warned her that it was going to lift us up and she was totally fine with that. The lights went down and off we went!!!! The ride was everything I thought it was going to be. Just amazing. I have to admit that there were some scenes that I could just simply NOT look. I decided to just watch my DD react instead. I looked down at the other riders and literally laughed out loud. Many of the adults had their heads to the side, looking away while the kids were kicking their legs and putting their arms up

My DD absolutely LOVED the ride. It is now her favorite. I especially loved the orange tree part where you could smell the oranges. Abby’s favorite part was the ending fireworks scene with tinkerbell.

We met up with my DH and DS and headed off to our next destination…Nemo!!

UP NEXT: Our first character experience. Who will we see? Our first souvenir purchase. What will it be? Stay tuned!

Last edited by BippityBoo; 02-08-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #141
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Hi Katie!! Wow--what amazing updates!! I missed so much, but I'm finally all caught up! Let's see if I remember everything I want to comment on...

First of all OH MY. The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous!!! It really reminds me a lot of AKL (with the railings showing in the lobby and the sink in your room and things like that). I can't wait to visit it next time.

That's so sweet that the CM let your daughter have a pin right after you got there! What a great start.

YAYAYAYAY!! I'm so excited that the Christmas decorations were still up for you! They are just gorgeous. I am determined to see them someday. And it probably helped the fact that it was so cold because you could look around and still feel like it was Christmas.

AW--I bet your son and those ladies Polka dancing was just adorable! I love how everyone is just so friendly at WDW. And Polka Dancing makes me think of Steve Urkle

I can't believe it was so cold in Florida! I mean, I expect it here (we've had snow/ice twice this winter already and temps below freezing) but not in Florida! It's supposed to be sunny! I hope it warms up for your family. But your blanket is super cute--I'm glad you thought to buy it!

Sorry about the loading docks. That really stinks. It's a good thing you were prepared with the sound maker! And Woo-Hoo for being able to see Wishes from your room! That's so great.

WONDERFUL start to your report!! I can't wait to read about the rest of the days! It looks like your family is going to have the greatest time ever.
Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much for all of your comments!! It was freezing and def. broke all sorts of records. Gets better, though! We did have a fantastic time!! I feel like I want to finish the TR all at once b/c there is so much I want to write about! ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSoleil View Post
Great start! I'm so glad that you guys loved WL. Isn't the boatride to MK a nice treat? Can't wait to read more.
YES! The boat ride was surprisingly quick and peaceful. Thanks so much for reading!!!!! Hope the little one is doing well!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #142
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, poor Aiden getting his leg stuck under the stroller! I'm glad he was okay, but what a scary moment for you and for him!

Isn't Soarin' the best?! I absolutely love that ride, I even kick my feet back and forth like a little kid - and it never fails, I lift them up without even thinking about it on the part where you go towards the mtn & then pull up last minute. The smells, the breeze - it's just an awesome ride!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #143
mom2shayleeandlogan
Mouseketeer

Great update, I am glad to hear your sons leg is fine. We didn't get a chance to ride soaring last time we were at WDW, and I can't wait!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #144
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

YAY for an Epcot update!! I just love seeing Abby wear my bow! Too cute! I love how you clipped it to her hat! I'm so sorry that Aiden hurt his foot on the stroller--how scary!! I'm glad we were able to figure out an alternative for renting a stroller!! And YAY for Soarin'!! It is my absolute favorite ride in all of WDW!!! Can't wait to see where you go next, what character you meet, and what you buy!!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #145
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Great update! I can't wait to try Soarin'! I get a little nervous with heights, too, but I think I will do ok with it. I am glad that Aiden's leg was ok, that must have been scary. Can't wait to hear more!
July 2013 AEP Contemporary
June 2013 Pop
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop-W&D half marathon
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #146
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited for one of your updates! I love them You do such a good job of detailing your day.

Love the kids clothes - and that clippie is adorable! How scary about DS and the stroller - I'm so glad it wasn't anything too serious.

I'm so glad someone else calls Spaceship Earth "the ball". I just updated about our afternoon at Epcot and I wrote the same thing

And don't you just LOVE Soarin'? Such an amazing ride - makes me want to take a ride right now!

Can't wait for more!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #147
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Yay for such a short wait for Soarin'! I'm so glad Aiden's leg is OK; how scary!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #148
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

I'm on page 7 and loving it so far! I'll let you know when I'm all caught up!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #149
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Poor little Aiden getting his leg caught in the stroller, thank goodness he was OK, the seats on the strollers aways look pretty slippery to me!

I find Soarin to be such a relaxing ride, I even listen to the music at home sometimes, I'm so glad you overcame your fears to ride it
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #150
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Terrific update! Glad your daughter loved Soarin!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: