Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

1st Family Trip with a Pre-K'er, a 2 year old and a puking baby!

Hello interested readers! We returned from our 10 day First Family Trip to Disney World late Thursday night (2/4/10), and despite a few challenges here and there (including the above mentioned puking baby!) our trip was a wonderful one! Our family is comprised of DH (Rick, 38), Me (Cheryl, 38), DS1 (Sam, 4), DD (Madeleine, 2) and DS2 (Matthew, 18 months).

I'm excited to write this trip report in hopes of keeping post Disney trip planning and trip blues at bay! I also hope to be helpful to other families with young children that may be setting out on their first trip in return for all the fantastic information I received from other DIS'ers!

Happy reading!

Table of Contents:
1. Day 1 (Tuesday, January 27th, 2010): Flight and Arrival
2. Rental House
3. Day 2 (Wednesday, January 28th, 2010): First Morning at the Magic Kingdom!
4. First Morning at the Magic Kingdom: Rides!
5. Matthew's First Haircut!
6. First Evening at the Magic Kingdom
7. Day 3 (Thursday, January 28th, 2010): Epcot Morning & Lunch at Biergarten
8. Afternoon around the World Showcase at Epcot
9. Day 4 (Friday, January 29th, 2010): The Itinerary Goes Awry aka My Crabby Day (Magic Kingdom with stepdaughter and inlaws)
10. Dinner at Tony's Town Square and our Magic Kingdom evening
11. Day 5 (Saturday, January 30th, 2010): Back to Epcot and the puking begins!
12. Evening at Epcot with a sick baby
13. Day 6 (Sunday, January 31st, 2010): A very full and chilly day at DHS!
14. Tower of Terror!
15. DHS Late Afternoon & Evening
16. Day 7 (Monday, February 1st, 2010): Back to the Magic Kingdom!
17. The rest of our day in the Magic Kingdom

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Day 1 (Tuesday, January 27th, 2010): Flight and Arrival

We had a 1:40PM flight out of Buffalo, NY, about an hour north of where we live. It was freezing in Buffalo and the curbside check-in was chaotic but soon enough we were in the air. This was the first flight for our kids, so the older two were very excited. My husband is a very anxious flyer, so I was nervous about managing him and the kids!

Below are a few airport/plane pictures: Sam wheeling his suitcase through the airport, Sam and Madeleine watching our plane arrive, Rick and Matthew on the airplane, and Sam and Madeleine on the airplane.

We ended up checking the car seat that Sam is sitting in for the flight home because it was such a nuisance! It was Madeleine's car seat (Sam's was a simple booster and went in the overhead bins because they told us it was not FAA approved) but when we boarded the plane they told us it had to go by the window and since Sam wanted to sit by the window he had to sit in it. It was cumbersome to carry through the airport and since we had more checked baggage allowance than we used we just checked it on the return flight and brought our two strollers on the plane instead, which we hadn't known we could do on our initial flight (but wish we had known for ease of child tranporting!).

Coming up next: Our Rental House!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Hello!! I cannot believe I am the first responder, let alone on the first page!! I am looking forward to reading your TR--we are taking my DD on her first trip (DH and mine second ever trip) this September!!
September 2010 PTR

Old 02-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
Hello!! I cannot believe I am the first responder, let alone on the first page!! I am looking forward to reading your TR--we are taking my DD on her first trip (DH and mine second ever trip) this September!!
Welcome, and yay, a reader!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
katykate
Earning My Ears

They're so precious!! Looks like they had fun!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykate View Post
They're so precious!! Looks like they had fun!
Thanks! And yes, they had a great time. Sam enjoyed every second of the trip (except for The Tower of Terror - more on that later!) and has been talking about it nonstop since we returned home.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
How old is your daughter?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Rental House

We had an uneventful flight and picked up our rental car without issue. The only problem we had was transporting all of our luggage and children through the airport! We had kids in both strollers with luggage piled on top, on our backs and being pulled behind us. That was crazy!

As soon as we walked outside we were greeted with the beautiful Florida sun and warm-ish temps (high 60's) which felt like heaven after the freezing temps we had just left in Buffalo. Sam and Madeleine found a fountain to play by while we got ourselves organized and then we were off to get groceries and see our rental house.

We had gone back and forth about staying on or off-site for our trip. Rick and I had been to Disney World twice before. Once on our honeymoon when we stayed at The Wilderness Lodge, and once after we miscarried a baby and stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. We loved both of the hotels, but with three little kids, two still taking afternoon naps, we felt the added space of a rental house was the way to go. We ended up with a place in Indian Ridge Oaks, about 10 miles south of the parks, and were very happy with it. We'll definitely stay there again on future trips. Below are some pictures of the kids in front of the house, the kids room and in the private pool in the backyard. One note, wherever you end up staying be sure to plan in time for your kids to swim. Our kids enjoyed the pool as much as the parks!

Coming up next: Our first morning in the Magic Kingdom and Baby's First Haircut at the Magic Kingdom Barber Shop!

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-16-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Loving it so far! How far was the drive from IRO? We've always stayed at Windsor Hills but are loooking at other options this trip. Do you have alink to the place you stayed at?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
PrncessA
DIS Veteran

I'm in!!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrncessA View Post

I'm in!!
Welcome! (And I'm waiting for more on yours!)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Loving it so far! How far was the drive from IRO? We've always stayed at Windsor Hills but are loooking at other options this trip. Do you have alink to the place you stayed at?
IRO - Irlo Bronson? Not sure what you mean. Sorry!
I think we passed Windsor Hills on the way to our place - south of 192 on 545 and then a right on Sand Hill Rd. It took about 10 minutes to get to the park parking lots.

Here's a link to our house:
http://www.lastminutevillas.net/vill...ily-villa.html

I contacted the owner direct and she was fantastic. We loved the place. In addition to what you can see from the photos posted on that site, there's a huge master bathroom with giant shower, walk in closet and very deep 2 person tub as well as third and fourth bedrooms - one with two twins and one with a double (or queen?) and there is a bathroom between them in a small hallway. We paid $122 per night (value season rates because our trip was end of January and beginning of February) including pool heat and taxes. The pool was very warm and we had no problem swimming in it even on the chillier days and in the chilly evenings (the problem was getting out!).

Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Day 2 (Wednesday, January 27th, 2010): First Morning at the Magic Kingdom!

I had set my alarm for 6:15am to be sure we were all ready to be out of the house a few minutes before 8. I had done an obsessive amount of research for this trip and one thing I read again and again was to get to the parks before opening. I had put together daily itinineraries using RideMax which my husband took one look at and rolled his eyes! He did end up thanking me later for all my planning though. Our kids are early risers and Sam and Madeleine, who were sharing a bedroom for the trip, were in our bathroom by 6:40 excited to go! My husband got them and the baby (who was also chatting in his pack-n-play in another bedroom) up and dressed. I had put outfits for the first few days for each child in date marked plastic baggies. This was a wonderful idea I got from reading PrncessA's trip report (Thanks!) and helped my husband tremendously, thereby helping me because he could dress everyone without needing my help. We gathered for a breakfast of cereal (which I choked down - too excited) and were out the door on schedule. Approximately 10 minutes later we saw this:

And a few minutes later (DH switched lanes just before I took this picture so I got this lovely truck as well):

Yahoo! We were there! We were directed to park in the Minnie Lot, which was near enough to the TTC to walk, and as soon as we could unload the strollers and load in the kids and bags we were off. We had brought two strollers from home. One was a typical baby stroller with a seat that reclined which we brought for our 18 month old in hopes of getting him to sleep there in the afternoons we would not be returning to our house, and the other was a single jogging stroller which we used as a double by having our daughter sit in the actual seat and our son in the footrest. Here's a picture of how we rolled:

We quickly found the sidewalk and then the TTC. I had read that if there was a boat docked at the TTC to take that, but if there wasn't to take the monorail. There was no boat, so we headed up the monorail ramp. Sam was extremely excited about riding the monorail and had talked about it for several months before leaving for our trip. We got right on and since it wasn't busy were able to wheel the strollers right on without folding them up, which was great. Sam was a bundle of excitement on the monorail seat and grinning from ear to ear. Here's some photos of us on the monorail for the first time:

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom, rolled down the ramp, had our bags checked and went through the ticket turnstiles. Whew! So much work to get to the Magic Kingdom! It was still only about 8:40, so we positioned ourselves in front of the flowers/Train Station for the opening ceremonies. I forgot to get a picture of this, but it was wonderful! We all enjoyed it and the kids were ecstatic when Mickey and friends got off the train. At the end of the countdown following the ceremony they popped out streamers and threw confetti and based on my kid's reactions you would have thought this was what we had come all this way for! Sam and Madeleine were out of their stroller seats in an instant picking up streamers and showing them to us. We quickly gathered them back in for our sprint down Main Street in hopes of arriving at Dumbo before the line was too long.

Coming up next: Would we make it to Dumbo in time and would I relax enough with our RideMax schedule to enjoy our morning?

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-14-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Jo*Mama
Earning My Ears

I'm loving this TR! My boys are 4 and 2, and we're going on our first trip in two weeks so this is a huge help......please keep going as you can!!! I had noticed that a lot of your threads before your trip were very relevant to us, and I'm glad to see you follow up with this TR!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*Mama View Post
I'm loving this TR! My boys are 4 and 2, and we're going on our first trip in two weeks so this is a huge help......please keep going as you can!!! I had noticed that a lot of your threads before your trip were very relevant to us, and I'm glad to see you follow up with this TR!
Thanks, and welcome! The kids have been sick, but I'm hoping to get another entry in later today when they're sleeping! I thought this was great ages for the older two for their first trip, especially my 4 year old who had the time of his life and was so excited about all of it!! It was so fun to watch. My 2 year old had fun, for sure, but each morning when we'd head out she'd say, "Where are we going?". Then when we'd drive under the Disney signs she'd remember.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: