Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #511
cdotla
Trish

Great update!

LOL about that grandmother and granddaughter with the photopass! I think I would have been cracking up. Are you sure you weren't on candid camera??!!! And then the next family did the same thing! Too funny!

At least he was an equal opportunity photopass photographer. I think you guys ended up having more shots taken than I did on my wedding day - LOL! Just kidding of course! I really think it is awesome when you encounter people like that. Given a choice between the 2 extremes (someone going head over heels to please you versus someone who doesn't care at all), I would choose this guy any day of the week!

I think I said it before, but I think you guys ended up with some of the nicest Photopass pictures I have ever seen. And not just from the marathon shoot in front of Spaceship Earth - I mean just about everywhere you stopped! No wonder you bought the CD!!! For you guys I think it was a bargain basement deal of the century based on the great shots you ended up with! Of course I guess it doesn't hurt that you are both so photogenic and obviously having a great time in each photo!

Can't wait to hear about your dinner! Is it Tepan Edo or Tokyo Dining? Can't wait to find out!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #512
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

First of all, SOO sorry I haven't updated in such a long time! I was sick all last week, and then this week has been major catch-up at work. But I'm working on an update to post today!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Wow, that photographer really took a lot of shots! Yours turned out great! That's cool that you finally got to make the paper! Looking forward to hearing about your dinner!

Denise
I couldn't believe how many he took! Thanks so much! I love that we made the paper...I'd been wanting to for a long time. Dinner was a great experience--I'll update today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Great update!

LOL about that grandmother and granddaughter with the photopass! I think I would have been cracking up. Are you sure you weren't on candid camera??!!! And then the next family did the same thing! Too funny!

At least he was an equal opportunity photopass photographer. I think you guys ended up having more shots taken than I did on my wedding day - LOL! Just kidding of course! I really think it is awesome when you encounter people like that. Given a choice between the 2 extremes (someone going head over heels to please you versus someone who doesn't care at all), I would choose this guy any day of the week!

I think I said it before, but I think you guys ended up with some of the nicest Photopass pictures I have ever seen. And not just from the marathon shoot in front of Spaceship Earth - I mean just about everywhere you stopped! No wonder you bought the CD!!! For you guys I think it was a bargain basement deal of the century based on the great shots you ended up with! Of course I guess it doesn't hurt that you are both so photogenic and obviously having a great time in each photo!

Can't wait to hear about your dinner! Is it Tepan Edo or Tokyo Dining? Can't wait to find out!
Thanks! Haha--I know. We were thinking that any second we'd find out it was some kind of joke! Oh my goodness--I completely agree. I'd much rather encounter someone like him who goes above and beyond (and takes a long time) than someone who obviously doesn't want to be there. And he did get some good ones. It was just funny! Aw. Thanks so much! We were really fortunate to get such great photographers. We stopped at practically every photographer we saw. And the bargain deal gets even better--just wait til our AK day! We were having a blast... We just couldn't believe that everything was practically perfect! Dinner was really good--I'll update today!

Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #513
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

First of all, SOO sorry I haven't updated in such a long time! I was sick all last week, and then this week has been major catch-up at work. But I'm working on an update to post today!!

Glad your feeling better and can't wait for an update. They make my day!

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #514
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
Glad your feeling better and can't wait for an update. They make my day!
Thanks so much! I'm feeling lots better! I'm about to post the update!!

Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #515
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Epcot World Showcase on Speed!

When I last left you (so long ago—sorry!! ), we’d just had an extended photoshoot in front of “the Ball”, visited a few places in Epcot Future World, and ridden Maelstrom. We wandered around for a little, and wound up in Japan, where we had dinner reservations. Even though we were pretty early, we decided to try to check in early for dinner.

We walked up the big steps

And checked into…

Teppan Edo! I’d come here in 2006 with my mom, sister, and grandparents, and we LOVED it. It was the first time I’d been to a hibachi grill, and I was very impressed. It was also the first time I’d tasted Edamame. Now we eat it quite a bit.

I checked in while Michael went to the restroom, and they called us for our table before he even got back! I barely even had a chance to sit down. We were expecting to wait a long time since our ADR wasn’t until 5:40, but we were seated by 5:28!

They led us back to our table, and we were seated with three other couples. The ones to our right were another young couple (they’d gotten engaged during their trip!) and we swapped taking pictures of each other.

This was our “view” during dinner.

I think my very favorite thing about Teppan Edo is the service. All of the Japanese chefs, seating hostesses, and waitresses/helpers are SO friendly. It’s so neat to be immersed in their culture and see how gracious and respectful they are. Their manners are outstanding.

While we were waiting for our chef to come (is that what they’re even called? I’m not sure), we visited with the couple next to us. I told them that I love how Asian people give peace-signs in pictures. I have no clue why, but it seems like they always do. I had some very close friends from Japan and Hong Kong in college, and they would hold up peace signs in nearly every picture we took. I think that they might think it’s the “American” thing to do. It always amused us that they would do this.

Anyway, when our chef came out, I asked her if I could take a picture of her, and this is how she posed:

Haha—Another peace-sign!

She gave us some dipping sauces (which I never used)

And then started on her “cooking show”.

Here’s an oil Smiley to get us started:

She put our noodles to the side, and started arranging the veggies:

I think it’s SO awesome that they can build these “onion mountains” without even touching the rings with their hands!

“Choo-Choo!” She pushed this along and made a train noise. Oh—and after we clapped or after she did anything special, she would always say, “Tank you very mu-ach.” She was so sweet!

This next thing cracked us up! She put two big onion rings by the stack and made a Mickey head out of them. She showed it to everyone, told us how to say “goodbye” in Japanese, and told us to say “Bye-Bye Mickey!” Then, she laughed and started chopping Mickey up!

Then it was time to bring out the meats! Each of us ordered whatever we wanted (I ordered the Chicken and Shrimp combo, and Michael ordered the Chicken and Steak combo) and then she cooks them all at the same time.

While those cooked, she made “Sesame Street”

And finished our noodles. These were SO good!

My (and everyone else’s who ordered shrimp) yummy shrimp!

I felt bad for the man who only ordered beef. It was the last to be cooked.

All of the food was really good! It wasn’t the greatest chicken I’d ever had, but the shrimp and the noodles were fantastic! And Michael really liked the beef as well. But the preparation/show was wonderful!!

Our waitress/helper came to get our dessert orders, and when I asked to take her picture, look what popped up:

A peace sign!

If anything is lacking at Teppan Edo, it’s their dessert selection. Michael got the ginger cake (I tried a bite and didn’t like it—I’m not a fan of ginger at all), and I got the soft-serve ice cream (this was nothing special).

Overall, we were very happy with our dinner! It was Michael’s first hibachi grill, so he was really impressed with the show. We’d definitely eat here again.

Continued

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #516
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Epcot World Showcase on Speed! (cont)

Continued from previous

After dinner, it was time to head downstairs to the Japan gift shop!

I saw all of the Hello, Kitty! stuff, and I was immediately taken back to my childhood. I had tons of Hello, Kitty! stuff! I even had a little mini gum dispenser.

We heard all kinds of commotion, and saw a lot of people huddled around what looked like a check-out counter with some fish tanks. We decided to check it out, and it was the “Pick-a-Pearl” thing that my cousin and his wife told me they did on their honeymoon! I looked at the prices, and decided to pick my own pearl!

I pointed out which one I wanted, and she got it ready to open up

She did a little song routine “Soo, tank you very much for com-ing to-a-day...” and then it was time to open the oyster!

But first, we had to learn how to count!

She asked if anyone remembered how to say “3, 2, 1” in Japanese, and a lady and her daughter did. We all had to practice saying them.

The mom said that “3” is “Sa” (I know I’m not spelling any of these right—but this is what they sounded like). And then the Japanese girl looked at all of us and said “Say Sa”.

“2” is “Nee”. She pointed to her knee and said “like knee”.

And “1” is “Ee-che”. For this one, she scratched her arm and said “You have ee-che!” We thought this was great and we still say it sometimes!

So we all counted “Sa! Nee! Ee-che!” and she opened it up to find my “be-you-ti-fal pearl!”

She asked Michael what he thought about it, and he said it like it a lot. To which she replied, “Then say, ‘A Con-gra-ju-lay-shun' to her!’” He laughed, told me Congratulations, and she showed it to everyone else that was standing around. After that, she played the drum and did a little chant.

It was such a neat experience—and I truly did have a beautiful pearl! This light doesn’t do it justice—it’s white with iridescent pink and flecks of blue. It’s SO pretty!

We left it to have a necklace loop thing added to it, and went in search of a Japanese hat. Maybe we were just looking in the wrong place, but we never found one. We decided this fan in front of my face would have to do.

We realized that we didn’t have much time at all to hit all the countries and be in a spot for Illuminations by 8:30! So I snapped one more picture in Japan,

And it was off to conquer the rest of the World Showcase—on speed! So much for wanting to take a day to explore everything in the World Showcase! Now we were going to have to cram it into the time between dinner and Illuminations. But we were determined that we could do it!!

First remaining stop: Morocco!

I love all of the detail that goes into everything in Morocco. It’s all so vibrant and colorful.

A nice lady offered to take our picture

We looked around some more,

Found some hats,

Snapped one more picture,

And headed to France.

Gorgeous.

I had to snap this for BellaSoliel:

Continued

Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #517
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous

We found the perfect “France hats” and struck our best “France pose”

I had to take a picture in front of the Beauty and the Beast window since it’s my favorite!

And another nice person offered to take our picture here:

Next Stop: The UK

We had to get some telephone pictures!

I wasn’t sure that any of these would turn out since it was between dusk and dark, but I think it gives them a totally different feel, and the lights really add to the pictures.

I decided to be a King, and Michael decided that he’d be a British policeman:

Then it was one more picture,

And off to Canada!

Off-Kilter was playing! I would have loved to have stopped to listen but we were on a mission!

Quick! Make a face in the Canada board!

I took a few pictures (The first one is my favorite)

And then we looked for our hats. This one cracks me up SO much!

He couldn’t resist. He needed one more!

As we crossed over to Mexico, I had to get a few shots looking back into Future World.

Mexico is such a cool pavilion! I love how it’s all inside! I knew that Michael would love it in here.

Continued

Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #518
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous

I took one picture with normal settings and then lightened things up to take another. They both have such different feels.

We immediately found “our hats”!

These little guys were cute,

And this was gorgeous:

We were so excited to finally ride the Gran Fiesta since it’s “our ride!”

We asked a nice man to take our picture by our respective heritage birds (Michael with Panchito—the Mexican, and me with Donald Duck—the American and Jose Carioca—the Brazilian)!!

There was practically no wait!

I’ll let the ride photos speak for themselves

I know most people don’t really like this ride, but we LOVED it! I remembered liking it, but this time I really, really liked it. It’s just so cute and relaxing. We actually liked it a lot more than Maelstrom.

When we left Mexico, we skipped over Norway (since we’d already visited there) and went straight to China.

We found these before we even went in!

I love how this one turned out. The lights are just gorgeous!

Sadly, this is all we had time for in China. Next, we hurried over to Germany.

I don’t know why, but something was really getting to me in Germany. I don’t know what it was, but I couldn’t stand the smell of something that was cooking. I’ve eaten at Biergarten Restaurant before, but something did not smell good to me that night!

It was all I could do to take our “hat pic”,

Snap this,

Continued

Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #519
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous

And leave. We were off to Italy! Only two more countries to go! Time was really, really ticking away at this point.

It smelled SO good here! Italian food is my second favorite (next to Brazilian food), and we decided that we want to try Tutto the next time we come to WDW.

We walked into the gift shop, but we couldn’t find any hats. So we decided to point at the beautiful masks (being careful not to touch them). Goodness, these were SOOO pretty!

We barely had time to rush over to the American Adventure, snap this picture,

And take an excited American boy/old-school man hat pic:

We quickly left, speed walked over to Japan, and found our spot for Illuminations by 8:35.

WHEW.

We did it. Not that I’d want to “experience” World Showcase like that again…but at least we made it all away around this time!

We sat on the ground in Japan, to the right of the red Torii, and waited for Illuminations to start.

I’m slightly embarrassed to say this, but I was so wiped out that I actually leaned back and laid down on the bricks. I figured, “It’s Disney World. Can it really be THAT dirty?!” And honestly, I didn’t even care if it was. I was exhausted!

Thankfully, Illuminations started right on time. And we had a great location!!

What an incredible show!! Parts of it got long (the pictures on the globe), but we both really, really enjoyed Illuminations!!

My battery had been nearly empty for a while now (I was just hoping it would make it through Illuminations), and right when it was over, it completely died. I’m definitely going to have to remember to take an extra battery next time!!! This happened almost every night!

We were so surprised to see that the park was nearly empty. In the past, exiting after Illuminations is a nightmare. This time, there were hardly any people on the streets. We also saw a guy proposing near the water as we were leaving. It was definitely the most enjoyable post-Illuminations stroll I’ve ever had!

As we went back to the entrance, I tried turning my camera back on for one more picture, and it worked!

And of course we had to take a few more PhotoPass Pictures as we left! “The Ball” is just so pretty all colored!

What a great evening! There was an AKL bus waiting for us, and we were back to our resort in no time. We were completely exhausted, so we showered and were in bed by 10:45.

It had been a LONG but AMAZING day! From our Keys to the Kingdom Tour, to having my joke picked and meeting Mickey and Minnie, to speeding through the World Showcase, it was jam-packed with incredible memories!

I went to sleep with thoughts of this in my head:

Up Next:

Animal Kingdom day!!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #520
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Great update!! Congrats on making it all the way around! The hat pictures are too cute! What a long, jam packed day!

The peace sign thing cracks me up. When we went on It's a Small World last time we were sitting in the back seat and the entire rest of the boat was filled with Asian people. They spent the entire ride turning around giving peace signs while other people in their party took pictures. My bf and I were laughing throughout the whole ride (edited to add that we were not laughing at them or thinking they looked silly we just thought the situation was funny and they were just so happy in every picture giving their peace signs! I thought it sounded a little condescending after I read it.).

Can't wait for more!

Last edited by NeverlandClub23; 02-04-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: I reread it and it sounded snooty
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #521
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Your update was great as usual and worth the wait!

I have always wanted to slowly tour World Showcase but never got to (because with all our kids - its not been a priority) until our Sept (09) trip. During our Dec (08) trip, our oldest started to see the beauty in WS during one of our sprints through it and would talk about wanting to tour it in depth. So in Sept, my DH took the rest of the kiddos back to the resort while I got to stay with the oldest. It was so fun to walk through with him and see things through his eyes. He would painstakinly pick out the best shot for a good picture. He was looking over my shoulder while I was reading one of your updates and got a kick out of the picture with Michael posing like the viking statue. Now he wants to do it on our next trip.

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #522
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

We loved Teppan Edo when my BFF and I went in Feb 2008 and can't wait to take my family there this year! We watched Illuminations after our dinner from the top of the stairs and it was amazing. On my last visit, I was solo for 4 days and watched it from the balcony of the restaurant and took a video - so pretty! Then when my daughter & grandson arrived, we got an excellent seat in Germany - it's neat to view Illuminations from different locations. I loved your speedy trip around the world!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #523
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

Another fantastic update! So many things to comment on!

First - the peace sign thing. I will confess. I am asian and I am guilty of posing for multiple pics with the peace sign. I have absolutely no idea why I do it. I just do. And I was born and raised in the states.

Fantastic pics on your speed journey around the world. Especially the pics in the UK of the buildings. I loved those. It didn't look like you were in Disney!

Love the ride in Mexico with the 3 Caballeros. We rode it many, many, many times our last trip. My little girl loved it and developed a love of Donald Duck when we went in August. I foresee us going on it many times in the future. Therefore, you can add us to the list of people who love that same ride!

Again, fantastic update! Well worth the wait.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #524
thumperbelle3
Mouseketeer

Whew! I got tired just reading your race around the "world"!

A couple years ago my BF and I did the same thing where we tried on a hat in every country and took pictures. It was a lot of fun and we got some really great pics.

Have a great weekend!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/9hft6b51ymez5etz.png[/img]
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #525
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I missed this TR!!! So glad you are feeling better!

Oh man, at the Peace Sign observation (& pics!)...that is too funny!!

Y'all sure did speed through the WS! We usually do too, because unfortunately, Epcot is our least favorite park, so it usually gets the least amount of time devoted to it. This time, we really didn't even get to take that many pictures! Oh well, maybe next time. Although it looks like y'all did decent on the hat pics...the ones of Michael in the moose & skunk hats are hysterical! And the ones of y'all in the phone booth are great too. Y'all are just the cutest couple ever!

As for laying on the ground before IllumiNations...don't be embarrassed! I almost did the same thing the night we stayed, the only reason I didn't was because the ground was FREEZING! After the day y'all had, I don't blame you.

Looking forward to the next installment.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: