Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #106
TinkRocks
Mouseketeer

Kevin, so sorry to hear about this. Prayers to you and your family
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #107
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2020 View Post
Kevin-

I am so sorry to hear about this injustice. This article shows how little the Florida legal system understands about drug abuse. I would love to write a letter to let Florida politicians about how choosing to drive while using ANY drug illegally shows indifference to public safety and should certainly make an offender eligible for manslaughter charges.

Is there a particular individual that we should be writing letters to? I prefer to send handwritten, personal letters to complain about such important issues.
NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
Lawson Lamar, State Attorney
415 North Orange Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
(407) 836-2400

The person handling this case was the Assistant State Attorney, Robert Egan.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #108
DisneyWorld Delight
No Tag For You!

Kevin, I'm very sorry to read this. It's horrendous.

2001 Dixie Landings - 2002 Port Orleans Riverside - 2003 Coronado Springs -
2004 Beach Club - 2005 Wonder/Wilderness Lodge - 2005 Beach Club - 2006 Paradise Pier @ DL -
2007 Pop Century - 2008 Grand Floridian - 2008 Carribean Beach - 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter -
2010 Swan - 2011 Yacht Club
DisneyWorld Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #109
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I'm sorry that you have to re-live this and deal with a garbage decision by the courts.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #110
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

I can't even think of something to say because it's so unbelievable. I'm really sorry.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #111
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

Oh, Kevin I am so sorry to hear this.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #112
MODisFan
Mouseketeer

Kevin, I'm saddened to learn that you and your family have to relive the tragic passing of your father. That his murderer (and repeat drug offender) appears to not be held responsible is reprehensible!! I pray in time that this unjust wrong is righted and that your family may find peace.

~Elizabeth
MODisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #113
ericafny
OK, I am a real Harry Potter geek I see

Kevin I am so sorry this is happening to you and your family. I hate to read articles like this in the paper. I do not know you personally but after listening to the podcast for 2 years I feel like I know you. Whenever I would hear you talk about your parents you sounded so sincere and that you would do anything for them. It is a shame that the courts would make such an unjust ruling. My thoughts are with you, your mother, and the rest of your family.

P.S. I read in the article your father was a butcher...my grandfather was a butcher too
ericafny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #114
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

Kevin, have you considered contacting the national media? This has been bugging me all day and I was just trying to figure out what would put the most pressure on the State Attorney's office.

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #115
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I am, honestly, just flabbergasted.

If there is evidence that he was driving while impaired, and tests show he had multiple drugs that would cause impairment, to then say there was no evidence that those drugs themselves were the cause of the impairment is silly, and even still, I don't understand why that ruling would be enough to drop all charges anyways if the evidence shows he was driving to endanger.

It appears that the DA simply does not want to pursue justice in this case - why not order the quantitative tests at this stage? Would it not be in the interest of justice?

The comments on the article are interesting as well.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #116
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I am, honestly, just flabbergasted.

If there is evidence that he was driving while impaired, and tests show he had multiple drugs that would cause impairment, to then say there was no evidence that those drugs themselves were the cause of the impairment is silly, and even still, I don't understand why that ruling would be enough to drop all charges anyways if the evidence shows he was driving to endanger.

It appears that the DA simply does not want to pursue justice in this case - why not order the quantitative tests at this stage? Would it not be in the interest of justice?

The comments on the article are interesting as well.
This just makes me ill. And I am so sorry. As someone who works in the industry I am speechless.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #117
LauraAnn630
See you in April 2011!

Kevin Im so sorry to hear this. Its hard enough to loose a parent but this is even more terrible!

Will he be charged with something else? Like involuntary manslaughter? Hes going to be charges with something right???

Maybe CNN would report this. Like Nancy Grace.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #118
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

This is outrageous, and it's certainly a royal smack in the face to you and your family.

To have to relive this pain over and over again in the face of this injustice just... Well...

I can't use the words here that I'd like to...

A major to you and yours is the best I can do right now.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #119
ratherbeatdisney
Mouseketeer

While this whole situation is horrible, until they change the law and they way they do the testing there is no way to say whether he was high or not. If someone does cocaine 3 days ago, they will still find traces in their system, but they are absolutely NOT high still. THC stays with you for up to a month, it would certainly be far fetched to convict someone of a DWI for smoking a joint a month ago. I understand this is still VERY sad and i would be JUST as upset, but its the law that needs to change. I dont care what adults do in their private life in there home, its when they hurt someone else under the influence that there is a problem. Whether it be with alcohol, pot, or cocaine. Can you imagine the outrage you would feel if you if you got in an accident and they tested you and it came back positive for alcohol , and you got arrested, but you hadn't had a beer in 4 days??? im not saying this guy is innocent, he probably isn't, but they need to get into the 21st century and use science for all its worth, otherwise this will continue to happen. I wish your family the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you ....
ratherbeatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #120
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeatdisney View Post
While this whole situation is horrible, until they change the law and they way they do the testing there is no way to say whether he was high or not. If someone does cocaine 3 days ago, they will still find traces in their system, but they are absolutely NOT high still. THC stays with you for up to a month, it would certainly be far fetched to convict someone of a DWI for smoking a joint a month ago. I understand this is still VERY sad and i would be JUST as upset, but its the law that needs to change. I dont care what adults do in their private life in there home, its when they hurt someone else under the influence that there is a problem. Whether it be with alcohol, pot, or cocaine. Can you imagine the outrage you would feel if you if you got in an accident and they tested you and it came back positive for alcohol , and you got arrested, but you hadn't had a beer in 4 days??? ....
I can imagine that if I ran over someone, I wouldn't be outraged to be arrested. I would be sick over it, no matter when I did drugs last.

The police reports according to the article also found him to be under the influence based on their observations. That should count for something.

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: