Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
lisajl
This is our dog Chloe!
I am not sure I want drool all over the keyboard!
A very merry unbirthday to us all!!!

First off I am so sorry you have to deal with this.
Secondly, I am sick and tired of people getting away with murder.
What is wrong with Florida? Using cocaine does not impair a person?
Who are they kidding?
Count me in for one to write a letter. I have had it.

Lisa
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #32
cocowum
Have will cruise

I'm so sorry Kevin. What an absolute travesty!
cocowum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Kevin, that's awful and completely outrageous. I can speak for Mike when I say that we will both be writing letters. If anone finds an e-mail address, please share.

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #34
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Kevin,

I grieve for you and your family. When you mentioned your mother had been on television about this, I looked it up and wished I hadn't as I felt I was intruding. My heart broke for her, you and Brian.

Even though I can understand the legal concerns with prosecuting the driver I am still very disturbed by the prosecutor's decision. I hope your family will not take this as the final decision.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I THINK and I am by NO means defending this decision, what the state is saying is that cocaine remains in your blood for much longer than alcohol or pot, I think for up to 2 weeks and the test that they do just tests for any cocaine, so this scum bag COULD have done the cocaine on the day of accident or a week before the accident, but since it stays in the blood longer, with the test that they used, they cannot prove either way which it was. This however does not excuse them for not testing further for the amount of cocaine in his blood, which would be an indicator of when he might have used the cocaine.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #36
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Kevin thoughts for all your family

I have always had a zero tolerance attitude to anyone who drinks or takes drugs while driving.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #37
Stitchmistress
Mouseketeer

Kevin, I am so sorry to hear about this. It is an outrage, and I feel badly that this is causing more pain to your family. My thoughts are with you, and I hope something can be done about this. Maybe it is too late in this case, but if enough of an outcry is made, perhaps the laws can be changed for the future.

Port Orleans Riverside, June 1994
Polynesian, October 1996
Coronado Springs, April 1998
All Star Sports, February 2000
Caribbean Beach, December 2002
Grand Floridian, August 2008
Swan, August 2010
Bay Lake Tower August 2012

Stitchmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #38
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I THINK and I am by NO means defending this decision, what the state is saying is that cocaine remains in your blood for much longer than alcohol or pot, I think for up to 2 weeks and the test that they do just tests for any cocaine, so this scum bag COULD have done the cocaine on the day of accident or a week before the accident, but since it stays in the blood longer, with the test that they used, they cannot prove either way which it was. This however does not excuse them for not testing further for the amount of cocaine in his blood, which would be an indicator of when he might have used the cocaine.
this is exactly what the state is saying, except the timeframe is incorrect. Marijuana can be detected for about a month, alcohol for only a few hours, and cocaine from 2-5 days. Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_test (yes it's Wikipedia but it's a legitimate source)

like i said earlier: i get it from a legal standpoint. But from a common-sense view? Ridiculous.

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #39
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Unbelievable. Doesn't Florida consider prescription drugs in cases of DUI? Xanax has an impairment warning on it. Even if they can't prove how much cocaine was in the jerk's system, the Xanax alone should be considered a factor.

I'm so sorry you're family is having to go through this horror, Kevin. I lost a family member under similar circumstances many years ago. Unfortunately, that's when we also found out how dumb the DUI laws were. We worked to beef them up a bit, but they are still a long way from doing enough to protect the public and really make people think twice before partying it up and getting in a vehicle. It's very sad that there is so much reluctance on the part of many lawmakers to get serious about DUI's.

Last edited by hildarumpole; 01-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #40
dalt01
DIS Veteran

the thing that ticks me off is the criminal history, the old if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck does not apply in our system. if this went to court they would not tell the jury about past transgressions. i had a school mate who had a situation. over a decade ago he had a car wreck and his wife died in the accident. he had all of the usual drugs in his system, went to trial, got seven years. if the jury would have been told that HIS FIRST WIFE DIED THE VERY SAME WAY he would have gotten a lot more. and the real kicker is THE FIRST WIFE WAS THE SISTER OF THE SECOND WIFE. thats right two members of the same family killed the same way by the same person. i am an eye for an eye type of guy myself. i know that cant be but......................................
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #41
PEANUT1
You can Fly!

This is so horrible..now you are suffering all over again..I am so sorry.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #42
hideeh
DIS Veteran

Kevin I don't know what to say other than I am sorry.

6/77-too young to remember! 6/87-offsite. 11/1996-offsite. 11/1999-CSR. 5/2001-offsite. 3/2002-offsite. 3/2003-CBR & offsite. 4/2004-POR/DCL. 2/2005-WL. 6/2005-POP. 12/2005-DCL/AS Sports. 3/2006-WL. 3/2007 WL. 5/2008-WL. 5/2009-WL. 12/2009-WL. 3/2010-POP. 5/2010-AKL.

hideeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #43
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

Bottomline -- Had Lanier not been behind the wheel, Mr. Klose would still be alive. Lanier is directly responsible for someone's death and should be held accountable. I am *disgusted* with the decision of the State Attorney's Office.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #44
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing something so personal. I find the rationale in the article perplexing. Anyone would be laughed out of court if their defense for driving drunk was that they were a safe and able drunk driver. Even if that was 100% true and they were able to drive an obstacle course drunk they should and would still be charged. DUI means driving under the influence, it doesn't mean driving poorly under the influence. Add to all of that a death then there is no way it should not be considered manslaughter while driving under the influence.

This kind of thing saddens and worries me. I spend a lot of time on the roads running and cycling and you always do all you can to make sure you are seen and out of harms way. Someone driving under the influence of anything, especially something that is illegal to have in the first place, is not going to be as able to avoid anyone as the same driver would sober.

I'm sorry that the tragic death of your father has to be compounded by the tragic stupidity of the prosecution.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #45
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Maybe this will shed some light on Mr. Eagans unwillingness to prosecute drug offenders who murder innocent civilians with their car while under the influence of drugs.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ibe-grand-jury

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: